Ask a question

Posted Oct 14, 2011
    12:31:06 PM
    View profile
    Upgrade 1 line on a family plan, contract length?

This seems obvious, but I'm not sure what the answer is.

My wife and I both have the iPhone 4. I am eligable for an upgrade, she is not (til Febuary). If I upgrade now, how will that effect our contract end date?

So if I upgrade tomorrow, and sign a new 2-year deal, my contract will expire on October 15th, 2013. If my wife upgrades in February, her contract won't expire tuntil Feb 14, right? So what's the point of a family plan - a single contract - if upgrading at different dates results in different contract lengths?

Does that make sense?

Upgrade 1 line on a family plan, contract length?

4 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (4)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 14, 2011 3:11:44 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor
    Hi there!

If you upgrade your phone, the second line will not be affected. Smiley Happy

~ Evandela ~
    ~Sunshine :)
    - Sunshine :)
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Upgrade 1 line on a family plan, contract length?

2 of 5 (1,854 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 14, 2011 3:16:08 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Thanks for the response, but that wasn't really my question. 

Are my two family plan phones on seperate timelines? If I upgrade now, my contract resets for two years. But if I don't upgrade my wife's phone for 6 months, her contract will be 6 months longer, right? So even though I'm on a family plan, each line has a seperate contract. So after my contract ends, I'll have to wait another 6 months for hers, right?

3 of 5 (1,852 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 14, 2011 3:50:34 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor
    Indeed, though you are in a family plan, they are 2 different contracts. Smiley Wink

As far as I'm aware, you won't have to wait 6 months to upgrade the second phone. Smiley Happy It will not be extended if you upgrade or vice versa. Smiley Happy

Hope that answers your question! Smiley Happy
    ~Sunshine :)
    - Sunshine :)
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (1,844 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Oct 15, 2011 3:56:10 AM
    (0)
    Expert

neatfreakgeek wrote:

Thanks for the response, but that wasn't really my question. 

Are my two family plan phones on seperate timelines? If I upgrade now, my contract resets for two years. But if I don't upgrade my wife's phone for 6 months, her contract will be 6 months longer, right? So even though I'm on a family plan, each line has a seperate contract. So after my contract ends, I'll have to wait another 6 months for hers, right?

A family plan only allows you to share the voice minutes and some features like unlimited texting between the phones on the plan. Each line that is added to a family plan to the max is a seperate contract with seperate etf's, end dates and upgrade dates.The majnor difference here is the primary line has the majority of the bill applied to it so it normally has the priority for upgrades over the secondary lines. Anything you do to the individual lines does not affect the other.  

5 of 5 (1,831 Views)