Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 29, 2011
10:31:23 AM
Update download help

I received the notice this morning that an update was availabe for my Atrix.  I started downloading it via WiFi this morning at around 9:00 am and it is still going as of 1:30 pm and is only at 61%.  Is that normal for a satellite internet connection?  I mean, I think it is downloading via WiFi - I have it turned on and it shows a signal.  I can seem to stop the update and I guess I can let it go but sheesh!  It's going to take all day at this rate!  Is there any way I can stop it or should I let it go?

Diane

I received the notice this morning that an update was availabe for my Atrix.  I started downloading it via WiFi this morning at around 9:00 am and it is still going as of 1:30 pm and is only at 61%.  Is that normal for a satellite internet connection?  I mean, I think it is downloading via WiFi - I have it turned on and it shows a signal.  I can seem to stop the update and I guess I can let it go but sheesh!  It's going to take all day at this rate!  Is there any way I can stop it or should I let it go?

Diane

Update download help

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2011 10:53:03 AM
(0)
Guru

That is extremely slow.  I downloaded this last weekend and although I do not remember how long it took, my guess is only about 10-12 minutes via Wi-Fi.  Have you run any checks on your connection speed such as www.speedtest.net?  It also seems that you have reached the point that you have too much time invested to quit although that is also a function of other activities.  The download is relatively small at 160 MB.

You also need to watch your battery.  You will need some power in reserve to perform the installation.  I believe that it took me about 20 minutes to complete once actual installation started.  You might want to plug your phone into the wall charger just to make sure.

Good Luck

That is extremely slow.  I downloaded this last weekend and although I do not remember how long it took, my guess is only about 10-12 minutes via Wi-Fi.  Have you run any checks on your connection speed such as www.speedtest.net?  It also seems that you have reached the point that you have too much time invested to quit although that is also a function of other activities.  The download is relatively small at 160 MB.

You also need to watch your battery.  You will need some power in reserve to perform the installation.  I believe that it took me about 20 minutes to complete once actual installation started.  You might want to plug your phone into the wall charger just to make sure.

Good Luck

Re: Update download help

2 of 12 (548 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2011 12:02:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

I almost think it is downloading via OTA (Edge network) instead of WiFi but I don't know how to tell which it's using.  My WiFi is on on the phone.  Any way to tell which it's using?  I'm up to 80% now after 6 hours.  :-/

Diane

I almost think it is downloading via OTA (Edge network) instead of WiFi but I don't know how to tell which it's using.  My WiFi is on on the phone.  Any way to tell which it's using?  I'm up to 80% now after 6 hours.  :-/

Diane

3 of 12 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2011 12:34:26 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by tilteduser on Jul 29, 2011 at 12:37:27 PM

There is an icon near the top showing an antenna (three curved lines above a dot) if you are connected to Wi-Fi, if you are using your data plan then here will be arrows underneath the network connection type.  E = Edge, H + = HSPA.  It is possible that you could be on the edge of slipping back and forth between Wi-Fi and AT&T data.

If you are not downloading via Wi-Fi then you are potentially hitting data cap limits.  Settings > Data Manager > Data Delivery > Data Enabled (unchecked means that it will not connect to AT&T data).

Atrix online user guide: http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/US-EN/Mobile%20Phones/ATRIX_4G/US-EN/Documents/StaticFi...

att.com/Tutorials.: http://www.wireless.att.com/support/chooseDevice.do?universe=&make=All&dest=tutorials.  Then select Atrix and after installing the Gingerbread update you would use the 2.3 tutorial.

Good Luck

Corrected verbal description of Wi-Fi symbol.

There is an icon near the top showing an antenna (three curved lines above a dot) if you are connected to Wi-Fi, if you are using your data plan then here will be arrows underneath the network connection type.  E = Edge, H + = HSPA.  It is possible that you could be on the edge of slipping back and forth between Wi-Fi and AT&T data.

If you are not downloading via Wi-Fi then you are potentially hitting data cap limits.  Settings > Data Manager > Data Delivery > Data Enabled (unchecked means that it will not connect to AT&T data).

Atrix online user guide: http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Support/US-EN/Mobile%20Phones/ATRIX_4G/US-EN/Documents/StaticFiles/ATRIX_UG_ATT_68XXXXX468A_final.pdf

att.com/Tutorials.: http://www.wireless.att.com/support/chooseDevice.do?universe=&make=All&dest=tutorials.  Then select Atrix and after installing the Gingerbread update you would use the 2.3 tutorial.

Good Luck

Corrected verbal description of Wi-Fi symbol.

[ Edited ]
4 of 12 (535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2011 1:03:02 PM
(0)
Guru

If something happens that you are unable to complete your download there also is an option to download via computer and a microSDHC card. 

If the text message did not contain a link on how to upgrade via microSDHC you can find these at: http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-EN/Atrix%20Upgrade/Atrix-Gingerbread-Update

If something happens that you are unable to complete your download there also is an option to download via computer and a microSDHC card. 

If the text message did not contain a link on how to upgrade via microSDHC you can find these at: http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-EN/Atrix%20Upgrade/Atrix-Gingerbread-Update

5 of 12 (528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2011 1:11:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks.  I turned off AT&T data as you described below and it doesn't seem to be going any faster.  I don't get it - my internet connection is not THAT slow.  Before I did that though there was a warning message saying that it was going to continue the update via WiFi so it must have, at least at some point, switched to network data, but mostly I didn't see the up and down arrows below the network symbol (E) so I think it has been downloading via WiFi.  I'm up to 92% now after over 7 hours!

Diane

Thanks.  I turned off AT&T data as you described below and it doesn't seem to be going any faster.  I don't get it - my internet connection is not THAT slow.  Before I did that though there was a warning message saying that it was going to continue the update via WiFi so it must have, at least at some point, switched to network data, but mostly I didn't see the up and down arrows below the network symbol (E) so I think it has been downloading via WiFi.  I'm up to 92% now after over 7 hours!

Diane

6 of 12 (526 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2011 1:26:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah, I sure wish that I had done it on a computer now!

Diane

Yeah, I sure wish that I had done it on a computer now!

Diane

7 of 12 (521 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2011 1:35:42 PM
(0)
Guru

I have been assuming that before this download you did not have problems with your Wi-Fi connection being slow.  This download should have been over in much less than an hour.

There always is the possibility that the Motorola servers are being hit hard and therefore are slower during the day today, depends upon how many people received the text messages and decided to start doing this at the same time which seems unlikely as they were going to send the text massages in phases or groups to preclude this.  I did not see anyone reporting problems with slow downloads on the Motorola forums for the Atrix and think that there would have been major complaining over there if this type of problem was observed.

Again, you can check your download speed using one of the speedtest applications and this should not hurt your already slow download.  Google market has several free ones.  I would also suggest checking your speed on the computer that you are using, perhaps there is a problem with your Internet service provider.

I have been assuming that before this download you did not have problems with your Wi-Fi connection being slow.  This download should have been over in much less than an hour.

There always is the possibility that the Motorola servers are being hit hard and therefore are slower during the day today, depends upon how many people received the text messages and decided to start doing this at the same time which seems unlikely as they were going to send the text massages in phases or groups to preclude this.  I did not see anyone reporting problems with slow downloads on the Motorola forums for the Atrix and think that there would have been major complaining over there if this type of problem was observed.

Again, you can check your download speed using one of the speedtest applications and this should not hurt your already slow download.  Google market has several free ones.  I would also suggest checking your speed on the computer that you are using, perhaps there is a problem with your Internet service provider.

8 of 12 (518 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2011 2:32:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

My speed test results were, on my computer:  .56 Mbps down  and on my phone: 232 kbps down.  But I am not clear whether that is a test of AT&T or my WiFi on my phone.

My update download is done but I don't see what I have to do to install it.

Diane

My speed test results were, on my computer:  .56 Mbps down  and on my phone: 232 kbps down.  But I am not clear whether that is a test of AT&T or my WiFi on my phone.

My update download is done but I don't see what I have to do to install it.

Diane

9 of 12 (512 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2011 2:50:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

Nevermind my last question - I found the instructions for installing the update on the Motorola webpage you provided the link to about updating using an SD card.

Thanks for your help!

Diane

Nevermind my last question - I found the instructions for installing the update on the Motorola webpage you provided the link to about updating using an SD card.

Thanks for your help!

Diane

10 of 12 (507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2011 3:04:21 PM
(0)
Guru

Wow, that is an extremely low download rate.  You might want to check with your ISP to see if there is something wrong.  There could be some problems on their end or with your router configuration, how far away your are/were from the router, etc.

Before starting make sure that your battery has a decent charge, I chose to get to 100% just to be sure but think that the process only took 15 to 20% but wouldn't want to risk a problem with incomplete installation.

The upgrade should have started installing itself automatically (I think) and given you a popup asking you if you want to install but you can manually force this.  Settings > About Phone > System Updates and you should get that pop up although you might have to have Wi-Fi enabled to get this.  This part should only take 15-20 minutes perhaps longer if you have a very large number of additional applications installed, etc.

If that doesn't work suggest that you contact AT&T or Motorola technical support, not worth the risk of something going bad for you.

Good Luck and hope that this works especially with the the lengthy download time.  Numbers should be on your phone or with your purchase documentation.  I am directed to 800.331.0500 for AT&T support and Motorola support should be 800.734.5870

Wow, that is an extremely low download rate.  You might want to check with your ISP to see if there is something wrong.  There could be some problems on their end or with your router configuration, how far away your are/were from the router, etc.

Before starting make sure that your battery has a decent charge, I chose to get to 100% just to be sure but think that the process only took 15 to 20% but wouldn't want to risk a problem with incomplete installation.

The upgrade should have started installing itself automatically (I think) and given you a popup asking you if you want to install but you can manually force this.  Settings > About Phone > System Updates and you should get that pop up although you might have to have Wi-Fi enabled to get this.  This part should only take 15-20 minutes perhaps longer if you have a very large number of additional applications installed, etc.

If that doesn't work suggest that you contact AT&T or Motorola technical support, not worth the risk of something going bad for you.

Good Luck and hope that this works especially with the the lengthy download time.  Numbers should be on your phone or with your purchase documentation.  I am directed to 800.331.0500 for AT&T support and Motorola support should be 800.734.5870

11 of 12 (379 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 29, 2011 3:20:13 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah, I followed the directions on that webpage and it was no problem - installation is all done and is well. 

Unfortunately that is the promised download speed (512 kbps) for the internet service package I pay for with Wildblue satellite service.  You probably live in a city where high speed internet is actually high speed and is cheap.  I pay $50 a month for what I get but then I live in God's country and don't have to put up with everything else that comes with city life. Smiley Happy  Wish it was faster, but I'm not willing to pay more for it.  Next time I'll go somewhere else to download an update though - you can be sure!

Diane

Yeah, I followed the directions on that webpage and it was no problem - installation is all done and is well. 

Unfortunately that is the promised download speed (512 kbps) for the internet service package I pay for with Wildblue satellite service.  You probably live in a city where high speed internet is actually high speed and is cheap.  I pay $50 a month for what I get but then I live in God's country and don't have to put up with everything else that comes with city life. Smiley Happy  Wish it was faster, but I'm not willing to pay more for it.  Next time I'll go somewhere else to download an update though - you can be sure!

Diane

12 of 12 (374 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments