Update 8112 appears... might be the reason we do not have 8107 yet!!!

Update 8112 appears... might be the reason we do not have 8107 yet!!!

If anyone here has been following the Nokia 900, if you flash back to CES, it was learned, and photographed, that the phone was running on the 8107 update. If I can find the pics, I will post them here. Now, fast forward to a potential release date of March for the 900 and we had a mysterious delay which has pushed the phone up until April 8th. With all the news thats been coming in lately, WP central has a picture that clearly shows the 900 now running on Build 8112!!  So I was thinking, we have been delayed on getting the update, the Nokia was delayed for unspecified reasons(rumors), and now we have a new update number that hasnt been shown on any other single device out there.

So what could this mean? I believe that the 8107 has some issues working on ATT's network and those had to be ironed out. But why has AT&T been so quiet about it? I believe that they are really trying to become the premier windows phone carrier and if any issues with their network and MS's updates are made public, it could damage the HUGE launch they have coming up, and put fear into the minds of consumers who dont even know they have an update pending.

So here's what i believe, April 8/9th will be Lumia day/update day and we will all be very happy that we didnt get the 8107 build, which potentially could have created a new bug more annoying than the disappearing keyboard.  Just my two cents...Since I literally learned this about 30 mins ago, I thought Id share..

Message 1 of 11 (1,164 Views)
Mentor

Re: Update 8112 appears... might be the reason we do not have 8107 yet!!!

Hmmm.  I would guess it more likely that AT&T believes  it is more profitable to release only 1 update as opposed to 3.  They knew they would be released the Nokia 900 in the Spring.  Why not wait until then to update everyones phone?

Except ...it screws over everyone in the meantime.

If this were truely the case, you would think MS would of said something also.

Message 2 of 11 (1,157 Views)
Teacher

Re: Update 8112 appears... Might be the reason we do not have 8107 yet!!!

I can kinda see your point, but at the same time, lets say there were issues with the update, I think it would be in AT&T's favor to just say something about it, instead of leaving all the users in the dark, in that way they would show they actually care about their users. Sure.. People might not know about the update, but that would make it even worse when you think about it. That's like Ford knowing that the car was dangerous, but they sold the Pinto anyway. By coming up front and saying it had problems and they were working on it, it would give AT&T some understanding, and maybe people might not be as upset about it. At any rate I would gladly take just about any update I can get at the moment, this keyboard bug really sux.

Message 3 of 11 (1,152 Views)
Tutor

When something like the disappearing keyboard bug surfaces, that hinders the usability of the device, the update becomes critical and should be deployed as soon as possible.  AT&T is supposed to be the premire US carrier, yet thus far they've treated WP like a second class citizen.  We all pay them way too much money to have to put up with this type of behavior.

Message 4 of 11 (1,143 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

AT&T hides behind the idea something may cause a problem with the network.  Unless an update actually changes the baseband there is no cause for concern for at&t's fragile network.  Not to mention they use a global standard for wireless communication/data but want to so desperately be Verizon Wireless that gets to control everything to what device you can use and how you can use it. 

My guess is they have access to data that says a large group of people on WP7 are due for an upgrade soon and what better way to get them into a new two year agreement than saying to get the latest software you have to get our shiney new device.  

Message 5 of 11 (1,129 Views)
Mentor

AT&T is the "permier" Windows phone network.  If 8107 doesn't work on AT&T, where else would it work?  I don't believe the "tweak" theory.

Message 6 of 11 (1,074 Views)
Mentor

I am using 8107 on the AT&T network now with no issues that I can detect.  Calls work, apps work, texting works.   Visual voicemail still AWOL (which mysteriously work on T-Mobile).

Message 7 of 11 (1,067 Views)
Tutor

Be simple enough for AT&T to state that is the reason, be good customer relationship.

Message 8 of 11 (986 Views)

[ Edited ]

mrpither wrote:

I am using 8107 on the AT&T network now with no issues that I can detect.  Calls work, apps work, texting works.   Visual voicemail still AWOL (which mysteriously work on T-Mobile).

I am running 8107 too and my calls drop the same way they did before. Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 11 (958 Views)
Teacher

I have been running 8107 for over a month with no problems whatsoever and no disappearing keyboard.  I lost faith in AT&T long ago and do not set any positive expectations, thus avoiding all disappointments.  Their update behavior is not that of a Premiere anything.

Message 10 of 11 (940 Views)

For those who are running build 8107, did it add the internet tethering option to your phones?? I was thinking this had something to do with it too and that would be a reason for them to block it. Same goes for the other US carriers.

Message 11 of 11 (821 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.