Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 13, 2011
4:20:05 PM
Upcoming OS update for Iphone?
Spoiler
Smiley Indifferent
Spoiler
While listening to the radio this a.m some raido person mentioned hearing about an upcoming software update. Does anyone know about this? What will be in the uipdate?
Spoiler
Smiley Indifferent
Spoiler
While listening to the radio this a.m some raido person mentioned hearing about an upcoming software update. Does anyone know about this? What will be in the uipdate?

Upcoming OS update for Iphone?

22 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(22)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 4:31:23 PM
(0)
Master

You mean iOS 4.3.  So far it's running smooth Smiley Wink

Here is the full article on BGR:

http://www.bgr.com/2011/01/12/new-goodies-found-in-ios-4-3-multitouch-gestures-for-ipad-more/

Here are some of the highlights from it:

• Personal hotspot capabilities for GSM devices 
  • AirPlay support for third-party native apps and third-party Web apps
  • Redesigned FaceTime icon
  • Multi-touch gesture support for iPad — “This beta release contains a preview of new Multi-Touch gestures for iPad. You can use four or five fingers to pinch to the Home Screen; swipe up to reveal the multitasking bar; and swipe left or right between apps. We are providing this preview before releasing them to the public to understand how these gestures work with your apps.”
  • Configurable slide switch for iPad 
  • iAd full screen banners on the iPad 

Apple has also dropped support for the iPhone 3G and the second-gen iPod Touch with its new software, which could mean that these devices will not be updated.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/01/12/new-goodies-found-in-ios-4-3-multitouch-gestures-for-ipad-more/

• Multi-touch gesture support for iPad — “This beta release contains a preview of new Multi-Touch gestures for iPad. You can use four or five fingers to pinch to the Home Screen; swipe up to reveal the multitasking bar; and swipe left or right between apps. We are providing this preview before releasing them to the public to understand how these gestures work with your apps.”

Apple has also dropped support for the iPhone 3G and the second-gen iPod Touch with its new software, which could mean that these devices will not be updated.

Re: Upcoming OS update for Iphone?

2 of 23 (1,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 5:18:08 PM
(0)
Master
So as a 3gs user, there won't be many changes...  I'm getting kind of nervous since my phone is one step above the 3g. And the 3g is slowly losing updates..
Planet-Ed wrote:

So as a 3gs user, there won't be many changes...  I'm getting kind of nervous since my phone is one step above the 3g. And the 3g is slowly losing updates..
Planet-Ed wrote:

3 of 23 (1,341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 5:20:44 PM
(0)
Scholar
They need to add a custom dictionary and custom SMS sounds. I mean really, taking them 3+ years for stone age tech?
They need to add a custom dictionary and custom SMS sounds. I mean really, taking them 3+ years for stone age tech?

4 of 23 (1,335 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 5:41:21 PM
(0)
Professor

Tru_Warrior wrote:

Neither of those are very important, if they were, users would find another device.  100+million iPhone users world-wide  deal without these "stone age tech" features, they cannot possibly be all that important.

Tru_Warrior wrote:

Neither of those are very important, if they were, users would find another device.  100+million iPhone users world-wide  deal without these "stone age tech" features, they cannot possibly be all that important.

5 of 23 (1,315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 5:47:07 PM
(0)
Professor

Smurfette27 wrote:

Apple only officially supports a device for 2 full years. In the 3rd year, it gets very little in the way of updates and then stops getting updates entirely.

The original (2G) iPhone was sunset with iOS3.1.3.

The 3G received limited ports of the iOS4 update and will be completely sunset with the last release of iOS4.x, whatever that may be.

I fully expect that the 3GS will receive limited updates going forward with all future iOS updates and iOS5.x will be it's end of life.

Of the updates listed, 3 are iPhone specific and only one would be hardware restricted from the 3G and 3GS due to their lack of a front facing camera.

Smurfette27 wrote:

Apple only officially supports a device for 2 full years. In the 3rd year, it gets very little in the way of updates and then stops getting updates entirely.

The original (2G) iPhone was sunset with iOS3.1.3.

The 3G received limited ports of the iOS4 update and will be completely sunset with the last release of iOS4.x, whatever that may be.

I fully expect that the 3GS will receive limited updates going forward with all future iOS updates and iOS5.x will be it's end of life.

Of the updates listed, 3 are iPhone specific and only one would be hardware restricted from the 3G and 3GS due to their lack of a front facing camera.

6 of 23 (1,310 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 5:50:33 PM
(0)
Guru

Smurfette27 wrote:
So as a 3gs user, there won't be many changes...  I'm getting kind of nervous since my phone is one step above the 3g. And the 3g is slowly losing updates.

You will be safe for another year. Current trend Apple has shown is the device will be supported for 3 years then dropped.

Original iPhone - Released in 2007 Support dropped in 2010

iPhone 3G - Released in 2008 Support dropped in 2011 (Not officially confirmed)

iPhone 3GS - Released in 2009 Support droping around 2012

iPhone 4 - Released in 2010 Support dropping around 2013

Smurfette27 wrote:
So as a 3gs user, there won't be many changes...  I'm getting kind of nervous since my phone is one step above the 3g. And the 3g is slowly losing updates.

You will be safe for another year. Current trend Apple has shown is the device will be supported for 3 years then dropped.

Original iPhone - Released in 2007 Support dropped in 2010

iPhone 3G - Released in 2008 Support dropped in 2011 (Not officially confirmed)

iPhone 3GS - Released in 2009 Support droping around 2012

iPhone 4 - Released in 2010 Support dropping around 2013

7 of 23 (1,303 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 5:52:13 PM
(0)
Scholar
Lol so thats how you go with problems in life, you just deal with it huh? When your fancy electronic doesn't have a feature it should have that other electronics have had for years, you just "deal with it" huh?

Get out of here with that bull. Don't gimme that.
Lol so thats how you go with problems in life, you just deal with it huh? When your fancy electronic doesn't have a feature it should have that other electronics have had for years, you just "deal with it" huh?

8 of 23 (1,302 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 6:01:54 PM
(0)
Professor

Tru_Warrior wrote:

If those features are truly that important to you, find a device that supports those features.

For myself, and millions of other users, we simply do not care about those features.

It's not a matter of "just dealing with it", it's the simply fact that I could care less about having the ability to set custom tones for SMS or having a custom dictionary.

It is not bull, it's a simple matter of different features are more important for some than for others.

The iPhone is NOT the perfect device for everyone, but for myself it certainly suffices.

If it is not the perfect device for you, find something else.

You are always welcome to provide feedback to Apple, but I don't think that they really care.  The ommission of those two features has NOT hampered the worldwide sales of the iPhone.

Tru_Warrior wrote:

If those features are truly that important to you, find a device that supports those features.

For myself, and millions of other users, we simply do not care about those features.

It's not a matter of "just dealing with it", it's the simply fact that I could care less about having the ability to set custom tones for SMS or having a custom dictionary.

It is not bull, it's a simple matter of different features are more important for some than for others.

The iPhone is NOT the perfect device for everyone, but for myself it certainly suffices.

If it is not the perfect device for you, find something else.

You are always welcome to provide feedback to Apple, but I don't think that they really care.  The ommission of those two features has NOT hampered the worldwide sales of the iPhone.

9 of 23 (1,282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 6:55:15 PM
(0)
Professor

I think main issue with the 3G is that it's now-slow processor really can't handle much of the stuff that the 4, or to a lesser degree the 3GS can, so there is little value to continue to develop updates for it.

I think main issue with the 3G is that it's now-slow processor really can't handle much of the stuff that the 4, or to a lesser degree the 3GS can, so there is little value to continue to develop updates for it.

10 of 23 (1,267 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 3:29:05 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 14, 2011 at 3:30:27 AM

Tru_Warrior wrote:

sorry - deal with it is perfect for real life or for anything, what good will it do to throw a tantrum because something does you don;t get it or your fancy electronic device does not have the latest bells and whistles. You have two chocies - throw the tantrum or deal with it. Custom dictionary and custome sms sounds is a toy, it adds nothing

Tru_Warrior wrote:

sorry - deal with it is perfect for real life or for anything, what good will it do to throw a tantrum because something does you don;t get it or your fancy electronic device does not have the latest bells and whistles. You have two chocies - throw the tantrum or deal with it. Custom dictionary and custome sms sounds is a toy, it adds nothing

[ Edited ]
11 of 23 (818 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 5:24:52 AM
(0)
Scholar

I know that I'm really looking forward to a new icon for FaceTime. My life just will never be the same afterwards.

I know that I'm really looking forward to a new icon for FaceTime. My life just will never be the same afterwards.

12 of 23 (803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 5:35:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Tru_Warrior wrote:
When your fancy electronic doesn't have a feature it should have that other electronics have had for years, you just "deal with it" huh?

Yes. When I buy an AV tuner, I make sure I select the one that has the features I need, today. I don't expect Yamaha to add additonal optical inputs because I needed three, but the one I bought only has 1. Or none.

If these features are CRITICAL to you, then you should have known before purchase that they are not in iOS (which you should know, since its widely documented they are NOT) and you then should have selected a different platform that does support your critical functions.

Sure, it would be nice if Apple got around to adding those features, and no doubt some day they might, but until then, they're obviously low priority to Apple.

Tru_Warrior wrote:
When your fancy electronic doesn't have a feature it should have that other electronics have had for years, you just "deal with it" huh?

Yes. When I buy an AV tuner, I make sure I select the one that has the features I need, today. I don't expect Yamaha to add additonal optical inputs because I needed three, but the one I bought only has 1. Or none.

If these features are CRITICAL to you, then you should have known before purchase that they are not in iOS (which you should know, since its widely documented they are NOT) and you then should have selected a different platform that does support your critical functions.

Sure, it would be nice if Apple got around to adding those features, and no doubt some day they might, but until then, they're obviously low priority to Apple.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

13 of 23 (797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 7:34:43 AM
(0)
Guru

dwill05 wrote:

LOL--who woulda thunk that, only about two years ago many folks were proclaiming the iPhone 3G as the best (smart)phone ever...and now, with it's "now-slow processor" is probably considered not much better than some--if not many--of the current crop of non-Apple smartphones available today.  Yes I realize I'm speaking the obvious, but I still find it kind of funny that a highly-praised Apple product/model could be considered "obsolete"--at least from a software support standpoint--in just a few short years.

dwill05 wrote:

LOL--who woulda thunk that, only about two years ago many folks were proclaiming the iPhone 3G as the best (smart)phone ever...and now, with it's "now-slow processor" is probably considered not much better than some--if not many--of the current crop of non-Apple smartphones available today.  Yes I realize I'm speaking the obvious, but I still find it kind of funny that a highly-praised Apple product/model could be considered "obsolete"--at least from a software support standpoint--in just a few short years.

14 of 23 (775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 9:49:10 AM
(0)
Expert

tonester wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

replace Apple with Nvidia, ATI, IBM or any other technology vendor and it is still true - as it stands right now in a technology point of view the Iphone 3gs is ancient, just like the recneltly release Nvidia 4XX series cards have been obsoleted by the 5XX series cards.

Two years ago in technology is akin to 300 years in real world time

tonester wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

replace Apple with Nvidia, ATI, IBM or any other technology vendor and it is still true - as it stands right now in a technology point of view the Iphone 3gs is ancient, just like the recneltly release Nvidia 4XX series cards have been obsoleted by the 5XX series cards.

Two years ago in technology is akin to 300 years in real world time

15 of 23 (748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 12:49:45 PM
(0)
Guru
I agree with Tru_Warrior, a custom dictionary would be a nice addition. Everytime I type Alec (my sons name), it changes to Alex. There's several other words too. But it's not something I cant live without.
I agree with Tru_Warrior, a custom dictionary would be a nice addition. Everytime I type Alec (my sons name), it changes to Alex. There's several other words too. But it's not something I cant live without.

16 of 23 (667 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 5:35:50 PM
(0)
Master

davidusr wrote:

http://iphonehelp.in/2010/06/23/how-to-add-words-to-iphone-ios4-dictionary/

To add custom words to iPhone dictionary go to:

Settings > General > Keyboards > International Keyboards > Add New Keyboard > Select Japanese Ten Key.

Then go back to:  

Settings > General > Keyboards > Edit User Dictionary

You can add unusual words and shorforms that will be recognized in any language.

davidusr wrote:

http://iphonehelp.in/2010/06/23/how-to-add-words-to-iphone-ios4-dictionary/

To add custom words to iPhone dictionary go to:

Settings > General > Keyboards > International Keyboards > Add New Keyboard > Select Japanese Ten Key.

Then go back to:  

Settings > General > Keyboards > Edit User Dictionary

You can add unusual words and shorforms that will be recognized in any language.

17 of 23 (631 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 6:06:23 PM
(0)
Professor

TerriZeee wrote:

You too? Man, just this morning I woke up in a funk, still depressed about the appearance of that icon. I was just lamenting it's presence with my wife, not knowing how I could go on like this. Then this news comes out. Life is worth living again!

TerriZeee wrote:

You too? Man, just this morning I woke up in a funk, still depressed about the appearance of that icon. I was just lamenting it's presence with my wife, not knowing how I could go on like this. Then this news comes out. Life is worth living again!

18 of 23 (625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 9:15:18 PM
(0)
Guru
Thanks for the dictionary tip Planet-Ed...no more "Alex" typo's for me.

19 of 23 (602 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 9:21:31 PM
(0)
Master

davidusr wrote:

It might still show the red underline but it should stop it from auto-correcting it.

davidusr wrote:

It might still show the red underline but it should stop it from auto-correcting it.

20 of 23 (600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2011 2:14:52 PM
(0)
Scholar

Smurfette27 wrote:
Planet-Ed wrote:

I too have a 3GS (just purchased for the $49 upgrade.) I wouldn't worry. The 3G was supported through iOS 4.2.1, and should remain a cheaper alternative to the iPhone 4. I would assume that the 3GS will last until they make the iPhone 4 the cheap alternative. Probably two more years, due to the two-year commitment required for the 3GS purchased now.

Smurfette27 wrote:
Planet-Ed wrote:

I too have a 3GS (just purchased for the $49 upgrade.) I wouldn't worry. The 3G was supported through iOS 4.2.1, and should remain a cheaper alternative to the iPhone 4. I would assume that the 3GS will last until they make the iPhone 4 the cheap alternative. Probably two more years, due to the two-year commitment required for the 3GS purchased now.

21 of 23 (439 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2011 3:38:19 PM
(0)
Professor

i will not be upgrading to the newest version when it comes out. it never has anything good i i can use.

i will not be upgrading to the newest version when it comes out. it never has anything good i i can use.

hello!!!

22 of 23 (425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 8:18:16 AM
(0)
Master

graphite07 wrote:

Will you be interested in purchasing the iphone 5 when released?

graphite07 wrote:

Will you be interested in purchasing the iphone 5 when released?

23 of 23 (381 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments