Upcoming OS update for Iphone?

Master

Upcoming OS update for Iphone?

Spoiler
Smiley Indifferent
Spoiler
While listening to the radio this a.m some raido person mentioned hearing about an upcoming software update. Does anyone know about this? What will be in the uipdate?
Message 1 of 23
Highlighted
Master

Re: Upcoming OS update for Iphone?

You mean iOS 4.3.  So far it's running smooth Smiley Wink

Here is the full article on BGR:

http://www.bgr.com/2011/01/12/new-goodies-found-in-ios-4-3-multitouch-gestures-for-ipad-more/

Here are some of the highlights from it:

• Personal hotspot capabilities for GSM devices 
  • AirPlay support for third-party native apps and third-party Web apps
  • Redesigned FaceTime icon
  • Multi-touch gesture support for iPad — “This beta release contains a preview of new Multi-Touch gestures for iPad. You can use four or five fingers to pinch to the Home Screen; swipe up to reveal the multitasking bar; and swipe left or right between apps. We are providing this preview before releasing them to the public to understand how these gestures work with your apps.”
  • Configurable slide switch for iPad 
  • iAd full screen banners on the iPad 

Apple has also dropped support for the iPhone 3G and the second-gen iPod Touch with its new software, which could mean that these devices will not be updated.

Message 2 of 23
Master

So as a 3gs user, there won't be many changes...  I'm getting kind of nervous since my phone is one step above the 3g. And the 3g is slowly losing updates..
Planet-Ed wrote:

You mean iOS 4.3.  So far it's running smooth Smiley Wink

Here is the full article on BGR:

http://www.bgr.com/2011/01/12/new-goodies-found-in-ios-4-3-multitouch-gestures-for-ipad-more/

Here are some of the highlights from it:

• Personal hotspot capabilities for GSM devices 
  • AirPlay support for third-party native apps and third-party Web apps
  • Redesigned FaceTime icon
  • Multi-touch gesture support for iPad — “This beta release contains a preview of new Multi-Touch gestures for iPad. You can use four or five fingers to pinch to the Home Screen; swipe up to reveal the multitasking bar; and swipe left or right between apps. We are providing this preview before releasing them to the public to understand how these gestures work with your apps.”
  • Configurable slide switch for iPad 
  • iAd full screen banners on the iPad 

Apple has also dropped support for the iPhone 3G and the second-gen iPod Touch with its new software, which could mean that these devices will not be updated.

Message 3 of 23
Scholar

They need to add a custom dictionary and custom SMS sounds. I mean really, taking them 3+ years for stone age tech?
Message 4 of 23
Professor

Tru_Warrior wrote:
They need to add a custom dictionary and custom SMS sounds. I mean really, taking them 3+ years for stone age tech?

Neither of those are very important, if they were, users would find another device.  100+million iPhone users world-wide  deal without these "stone age tech" features, they cannot possibly be all that important.

Message 5 of 23
Professor

Smurfette27 wrote:
So as a 3gs user, there won't be many changes...  I'm getting kind of nervous since my phone is one step above the 3g. And the 3g is slowly losing updates..

Apple only officially supports a device for 2 full years. In the 3rd year, it gets very little in the way of updates and then stops getting updates entirely.

The original (2G) iPhone was sunset with iOS3.1.3.

The 3G received limited ports of the iOS4 update and will be completely sunset with the last release of iOS4.x, whatever that may be.

I fully expect that the 3GS will receive limited updates going forward with all future iOS updates and iOS5.x will be it's end of life.

Of the updates listed, 3 are iPhone specific and only one would be hardware restricted from the 3G and 3GS due to their lack of a front facing camera.

Message 6 of 23
Guru

Smurfette27 wrote:
So as a 3gs user, there won't be many changes...  I'm getting kind of nervous since my phone is one step above the 3g. And the 3g is slowly losing updates.

You will be safe for another year. Current trend Apple has shown is the device will be supported for 3 years then dropped.

Original iPhone - Released in 2007 Support dropped in 2010

iPhone 3G - Released in 2008 Support dropped in 2011 (Not officially confirmed)

iPhone 3GS - Released in 2009 Support droping around 2012

iPhone 4 - Released in 2010 Support dropping around 2013

Message 7 of 23
Scholar

Lol so thats how you go with problems in life, you just deal with it huh? When your fancy electronic doesn't have a feature it should have that other electronics have had for years, you just "deal with it" huh?

Get out of here with that bull. Don't gimme that.
Message 8 of 23
Professor

Tru_Warrior wrote:
Lol so thats how you go with problems in life, you just deal with it huh? When your fancy electronic doesn't have a feature it should have that other electronics have had for years, you just "deal with it" huh?

If those features are truly that important to you, find a device that supports those features.

For myself, and millions of other users, we simply do not care about those features.

It's not a matter of "just dealing with it", it's the simply fact that I could care less about having the ability to set custom tones for SMS or having a custom dictionary.

It is not bull, it's a simple matter of different features are more important for some than for others.

The iPhone is NOT the perfect device for everyone, but for myself it certainly suffices.

If it is not the perfect device for you, find something else.

You are always welcome to provide feedback to Apple, but I don't think that they really care.  The ommission of those two features has NOT hampered the worldwide sales of the iPhone.

Message 9 of 23
Professor

I think main issue with the 3G is that it's now-slow processor really can't handle much of the stuff that the 4, or to a lesser degree the 3GS can, so there is little value to continue to develop updates for it.

Message 10 of 23
Expert

Tru_Warrior wrote:

sorry - deal with it is perfect for real life or for anything, what good will it do to throw a tantrum because something does you don;t get it or your fancy electronic device does not have the latest bells and whistles. You have two chocies - throw the tantrum or deal with it. Custom dictionary and custome sms sounds is a toy, it adds nothing

Message 11 of 23
Scholar

I know that I'm really looking forward to a new icon for FaceTime. My life just will never be the same afterwards.

Message 12 of 23
ACE - Professor

Tru_Warrior wrote:
When your fancy electronic doesn't have a feature it should have that other electronics have had for years, you just "deal with it" huh?

Yes. When I buy an AV tuner, I make sure I select the one that has the features I need, today. I don't expect Yamaha to add additonal optical inputs because I needed three, but the one I bought only has 1. Or none.

If these features are CRITICAL to you, then you should have known before purchase that they are not in iOS (which you should know, since its widely documented they are NOT) and you then should have selected a different platform that does support your critical functions.

Sure, it would be nice if Apple got around to adding those features, and no doubt some day they might, but until then, they're obviously low priority to Apple.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 13 of 23
Guru

dwill05 wrote:

I think main issue with the 3G is that it's now-slow processor really can't handle much of the stuff that the 4, or to a lesser degree the 3GS can, so there is little value to continue to develop updates for it.

LOL--who woulda thunk that, only about two years ago many folks were proclaiming the iPhone 3G as the best (smart)phone ever...and now, with it's "now-slow processor" is probably considered not much better than some--if not many--of the current crop of non-Apple smartphones available today.  Yes I realize I'm speaking the obvious, but I still find it kind of funny that a highly-praised Apple product/model could be considered "obsolete"--at least from a software support standpoint--in just a few short years.

Message 14 of 23
Expert

tonester wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

LOL--who woulda thunk that, only about two years ago many folks were proclaiming the iPhone 3G as the best (smart)phone ever...and now, with it's "now-slow processor" is probably considered not much better than some--if not many--of the current crop of non-Apple smartphones available today.  Yes I realize I'm speaking the obvious, but I still find it kind of funny that a highly-praised Apple product/model could be considered "obsolete"--at least from a software support standpoint--in just a few short years.

replace Apple with Nvidia, ATI, IBM or any other technology vendor and it is still true - as it stands right now in a technology point of view the Iphone 3gs is ancient, just like the recneltly release Nvidia 4XX series cards have been obsoleted by the 5XX series cards.

Two years ago in technology is akin to 300 years in real world time

Message 15 of 23
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support