Wireless Forums

Posted May 21, 2008
8:32:35 AM
View profile
Unwanted text messages - How to block or prevent.
Hi, I just got a new pay-as-you-go phone with an AT&T assigned phone number.

I have been getting some unwanted phone calls, but I just don't answer the phone.  The bigger problem is I am receiving unwanted text messages from 36245.  It appears these are some sort of automated alerts from AOL.  I have gone to AOL's website and tried to contact them to discontinue these texts.  There is no "unsubscribe" link or info on the text messages themselves.

As I have a pay-as-you-go phone I get whacked for each text message.  Is there a way to block texts or phone calls from specific numbers?

I have been getting some unwanted phone calls, but I just don't answer the phone.  The bigger problem is I am receiving unwanted text messages from 36245.  It appears these are some sort of automated alerts from AOL.  I have gone to AOL's website and tried to contact them to discontinue these texts.  There is no "unsubscribe" link or info on the text messages themselves.

As I have a pay-as-you-go phone I get whacked for each text message.  Is there a way to block texts or phone calls from specific numbers?

Unwanted text messages - How to block or prevent.

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2008 11:27:05 AM
(0)
Professor
No there isnt.

If you get messages from 36245, that means someone is sending you a text message from their e-mail address.

No there isnt.

If you get messages from 36245, that means someone is sending you a text message from their e-mail address.

Re: Unwanted text messages - How to block or prevent.

2 of 5 (12,993 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2008 12:02:42 PM
(0)
Mentor
If you don't knw who Is calling you or who would be sending you email to your phone, at&t might change your number for free. I know when it used to be cingular, they would change it for free.
If you don't knw who Is calling you or who would be sending you email to your phone, at&t might change your number for free. I know when it used to be cingular, they would change it for free.

3 of 5 (12,988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2008 1:19:15 PM
(0)
Master

vinceb29 wrote:

There is Smart Limits

By going to www.wireless.att.com/textmessaging and selecting 'Messaging Preferences' on the right, AT&T customers can now setup and manage their PC-to-Mobile messaging preferences (PC2M). Once registered, customers can create an alias, block incoming messages, manage email delivery controls and setup block/allow lists.

Message Preferences manages PC-to-Mobile user preferences and not Mobile-to-Mobile messaging. It helps customers fight against unsolicited messages and other forms of spam. If you have a question, feel free to ask in our Messaging forum or place a call to Customer Care at 1-800-331-0500 (or 611 from your wireless handset).

*Second part taken from Sentry: Click Here

vinceb29 wrote:

There is Smart Limits

By going to www.wireless.att.com/textmessaging and selecting 'Messaging Preferences' on the right, AT&T customers can now setup and manage their PC-to-Mobile messaging preferences (PC2M). Once registered, customers can create an alias, block incoming messages, manage email delivery controls and setup block/allow lists.

Message Preferences manages PC-to-Mobile user preferences and not Mobile-to-Mobile messaging. It helps customers fight against unsolicited messages and other forms of spam. If you have a question, feel free to ask in our Messaging forum or place a call to Customer Care at 1-800-331-0500 (or 611 from your wireless handset).

*Second part taken from Sentry: Click Here

4 of 5 (12,977 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2008 2:14:17 PM
(0)
Expert

angelarodriguez wrote:

Unfortuantly a phone number change for prepaid users is $18, and has been stipulated before the charge is always collected. :smileysad:

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.

angelarodriguez wrote:

Unfortuantly a phone number change for prepaid users is $18, and has been stipulated before the charge is always collected. :smileysad:

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.

5 of 5 (12,969 Views)