Ask a question

Posted May 21, 2008
    8:32:35 AM
    View profile
    Unwanted text messages - How to block or prevent.
    Hi, I just got a new pay-as-you-go phone with an AT&T assigned phone number.

I have been getting some unwanted phone calls, but I just don't answer the phone.  The bigger problem is I am receiving unwanted text messages from 36245.  It appears these are some sort of automated alerts from AOL.  I have gone to AOL's website and tried to contact them to discontinue these texts.  There is no "unsubscribe" link or info on the text messages themselves.

As I have a pay-as-you-go phone I get whacked for each text message.  Is there a way to block texts or phone calls from specific numbers?

Unwanted text messages - How to block or prevent.

4 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (4)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 21, 2008 11:27:05 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    No there isnt.

If you get messages from 36245, that means someone is sending you a text message from their e-mail address.

Re: Unwanted text messages - How to block or prevent.

2 of 5 (13,040 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 21, 2008 12:02:42 PM
    (0)
    Mentor
    If you don't knw who Is calling you or who would be sending you email to your phone, at&t might change your number for free. I know when it used to be cingular, they would change it for free.

3 of 5 (13,035 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 21, 2008 1:19:15 PM
    (0)
    Master

vinceb29 wrote:
    Hi, I just got a new pay-as-you-go phone with an AT&T assigned phone number.

I have been getting some unwanted phone calls, but I just don't answer the phone.  The bigger problem is I am receiving unwanted text messages from 36245.  It appears these are some sort of automated alerts from AOL.  I have gone to AOL's website and tried to contact them to discontinue these texts.  There is no "unsubscribe" link or info on the text messages themselves.

As I have a pay-as-you-go phone I get whacked for each text message.  Is there a way to block texts or phone calls from specific numbers?

There is Smart Limits

By going to www.wireless.att.com/textmessaging and selecting 'Messaging Preferences' on the right, AT&T customers can now setup and manage their PC-to-Mobile messaging preferences (PC2M). Once registered, customers can create an alias, block incoming messages, manage email delivery controls and setup block/allow lists.

Message Preferences manages PC-to-Mobile user preferences and not Mobile-to-Mobile messaging. It helps customers fight against unsolicited messages and other forms of spam. If you have a question, feel free to ask in our Messaging forum or place a call to Customer Care at 1-800-331-0500 (or 611 from your wireless handset).

*Second part taken from Sentry: Click Here

4 of 5 (13,024 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    May 21, 2008 2:14:17 PM
    (0)
    Expert

angelarodriguez wrote:
         If you don't knw who Is calling you or who would be sending you email to your phone, at&t might change your number for free. I know when it used to be cingular, they would change it for free.

Unfortuantly a phone number change for prepaid users is $18, and has been stipulated before the charge is always collected. Smiley Sad

Knight Rider Rules.gif

AT&T's return policy has changed effective 10/07/12.  You have 14 days to return the device & cxl without a ETF.  Policy info HERE.

Where is Justin Timberlake when you need him?. I need him to billed me a bridge to get a cross all these tears from complainers.This post is protected under the laws of the United States & other Countries. Unauthorized duplication, Distribution may result in civil liability & criminal prosecution.The OP gratefully acknowledge the cooperation of: The mods, Fellow forumites, Canada, The United States Of America, Mexico, USVI & Europe. As well as James Bond.

When the going gets rough, hide in a pillow fort and pretend you don't exist.

5 of 5 (13,016 Views)