Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 2, 2009
11:24:01 AM
Unlocking iPhone when contract expires

I have an iPhone 3G with a 2 year contract that began in Jan. 2009.  When this contract expires, if I buy a new iPhone, will my old one essentially be an unlocked iPhone that I can use overseas by purchasing a SIM card?

Along those lines, how much would it cost to buy out this contract, and would that leave me with an unlocked phone? 

Thanks for any input.

Dan 

I have an iPhone 3G with a 2 year contract that began in Jan. 2009.  When this contract expires, if I buy a new iPhone, will my old one essentially be an unlocked iPhone that I can use overseas by purchasing a SIM card?

Along those lines, how much would it cost to buy out this contract, and would that leave me with an unlocked phone? 

Thanks for any input.

Dan 

Unlocking iPhone when contract expires

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2009 11:28:26 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Aug 2, 2009 at 11:30:19 AM
The 3G phone is still locked but all they do is pull the sim card out and put it in the 3G(S) iPhone if you get one and you can sell it to someone and AT&T edits the information stored on the iPhone to make it their number.

You can wipe the old one if you wish before giving it away and AT&T will unfreeze it at the store for the new user.
Message Edited by josephz2va on 08-02-2009 02:30:19 PM
The 3G phone is still locked but all they do is pull the sim card out and put it in the 3G(S) iPhone if you get one and you can sell it to someone and AT&T edits the information stored on the iPhone to make it their number.

You can wipe the old one if you wish before giving it away and AT&T will unfreeze it at the store for the new user.
Message Edited by josephz2va on 08-02-2009 02:30:19 PM

Re: Unlocking iPhone when contract expires

[ Edited ]
2 of 17 (21,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2009 11:33:50 AM
(0)
Master

dbcyclist wrote:

When your contract expires the iPhone will still be locked to AT&T.  AT&T and Apple will not provide an unlock code.

dbcyclist wrote:

When your contract expires the iPhone will still be locked to AT&T.  AT&T and Apple will not provide an unlock code.

3 of 17 (21,879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2009 11:39:29 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the reply.  Not wanting to give up easily, my wife is going to get an iPhone when her Verizon contract expires, and we're going to France next month where we could buy an legally unlocked phone (albiet, for a very high price).  Can this legally unlocked phone be used for voice and data with any US carriers (preferably ATT because their coverage is better in our area)?  If the carrier is not ATT, will all the iPhone features still be supported?

Thanks,

Dan 

Thanks for the reply.  Not wanting to give up easily, my wife is going to get an iPhone when her Verizon contract expires, and we're going to France next month where we could buy an legally unlocked phone (albiet, for a very high price).  Can this legally unlocked phone be used for voice and data with any US carriers (preferably ATT because their coverage is better in our area)?  If the carrier is not ATT, will all the iPhone features still be supported?

Thanks,

Dan 

4 of 17 (21,875 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2009 3:23:12 PM
(0)
Expert

dbcyclist wrote:

Thanks,

Dan 

Yes it will with all the features as long as you call and give at&t the necessary info about the iphone you have.

dbcyclist wrote:

Thanks,

Dan 

Yes it will with all the features as long as you call and give at&t the necessary info about the iphone you have.

5 of 17 (21,808 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2009 5:42:37 PM
(0)
Master

A legally unlocked iPhone could be used with AT&T and T-Mobile.  Verizon & Sprint have a different type of technology that is incompatible with the iPhone.  An unlocked iPhone would be incompatible with T-Mobile's 3G (because it runs at 1700MHz and not 850/1900 MHz), meaning even a 3G or 3GS iPhone would be limited to 2G (EDGE) speeds on T-Mobile.

dbcyclist wrote:

Thanks,

Dan 

A legally unlocked iPhone could be used with AT&T and T-Mobile.  Verizon & Sprint have a different type of technology that is incompatible with the iPhone.  An unlocked iPhone would be incompatible with T-Mobile's 3G (because it runs at 1700MHz and not 850/1900 MHz), meaning even a 3G or 3GS iPhone would be limited to 2G (EDGE) speeds on T-Mobile.

dbcyclist wrote:

Thanks,

Dan 

6 of 17 (21,777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2009 4:03:25 AM
(0)
Tutor

For this upcoming trip, I think I'm just going to order an unlocked cheap phone from Amazon and buy a French SIM card when we arrive.  Can I test the phone by putting my ATT SIM card from my iPhone in just to test it, or will that screw up possibly both phones?

Thanks

Dan 

For this upcoming trip, I think I'm just going to order an unlocked cheap phone from Amazon and buy a French SIM card when we arrive.  Can I test the phone by putting my ATT SIM card from my iPhone in just to test it, or will that screw up possibly both phones?

Thanks

Dan 

7 of 17 (21,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2009 10:58:10 AM
(0)
Guru

It won't hurt anything to swap the SIMs.

Unlocking your phone to use it on a network of your choice is legal.  But nothing says that AT&T has to provide you the means to do so.  I find it curious that AT&T will unlock other phones for its customers, but not the iPhone.

It won't hurt anything to swap the SIMs.

Unlocking your phone to use it on a network of your choice is legal.  But nothing says that AT&T has to provide you the means to do so.  I find it curious that AT&T will unlock other phones for its customers, but not the iPhone.

8 of 17 (21,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2009 4:31:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by cousintim on Aug 3, 2009 at 4:34:54 PM

Both the FCC and Department of Justice are currently looking into the practices of wireless providers.  To those who strongly believe that AT&T should unlock an iPhone after the customer has completed the initial two-year contract, I encourage them to contact to contact both entities.

fccinfo@fcc.gov

Antitrust.Complaints@usdoj.gov

Message Edited by cousintim on 08-03-2009 06:34:54 PM

Both the FCC and Department of Justice are currently looking into the practices of wireless providers.  To those who strongly believe that AT&T should unlock an iPhone after the customer has completed the initial two-year contract, I encourage them to contact to contact both entities.

fccinfo@fcc.gov

Antitrust.Complaints@usdoj.gov

Message Edited by cousintim on 08-03-2009 06:34:54 PM
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
9 of 17 (21,565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2009 8:05:23 AM
(0)
Mentor
Even if you were to successfully unlock the iPhone and violate Apple's waranty, you wouldn't be able to use it on any carrier within the US unless they have SIM cards like T-Mobile. Reason being, is that Verizon and Sprint both use CDMA network which isn't compatible with the iPhone, so good luck in getting this to work. You're technically stuck with AT&T untill Apple decides to create the LTE iPhone that will be available to all the Carriers in the world not just a select few. Keep in mind, Apple wants a global phone, not a North American phone which is basically what Verizon and Sprint are, just a North American network able network.
Even if you were to successfully unlock the iPhone and violate Apple's waranty, you wouldn't be able to use it on any carrier within the US unless they have SIM cards like T-Mobile. Reason being, is that Verizon and Sprint both use CDMA network which isn't compatible with the iPhone, so good luck in getting this to work. You're technically stuck with AT&T untill Apple decides to create the LTE iPhone that will be available to all the Carriers in the world not just a select few. Keep in mind, Apple wants a global phone, not a North American phone which is basically what Verizon and Sprint are, just a North American network able network.

10 of 17 (21,431 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2009 9:20:44 PM
(0)
Mentor

Jaygto wrote:
 Keep in mind, Apple wants a global phone, not a North American phone which is basically what Verizon and Sprint are, just a North American network able network.
I don't know where you got CDMA is only in North America. It is currently in 103 countries and territories.   http://cdg.org/

Jaygto wrote:
 Keep in mind, Apple wants a global phone, not a North American phone which is basically what Verizon and Sprint are, just a North American network able network.
I don't know where you got CDMA is only in North America. It is currently in 103 countries and territories.   http://cdg.org/

11 of 17 (7,112 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2009 9:27:30 PM
(0)
Expert

koko11 wrote:

Jaygto wrote:

That coverage list is a bit off as they include goverment use for communication purpose not like the regular Cell structure.

koko11 wrote:

Jaygto wrote:

That coverage list is a bit off as they include goverment use for communication purpose not like the regular Cell structure.

12 of 17 (7,110 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2009 9:54:33 PM
(0)
Mentor

Sheik HF1 wrote:

koko11 wrote:

Jaygto wrote:

Ok I don't know anything about that but my point is CDMA is not just in North America but World Wide. 

Sheik HF1 wrote:

koko11 wrote:

Jaygto wrote:

Ok I don't know anything about that but my point is CDMA is not just in North America but World Wide. 

13 of 17 (7,107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 9:27:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

Sorry to revive this old post but is their any news on this issue?  My contract expires in 2 months.  I now live in Germany and would like to use my phone with T-Mobile.

CEB

Sorry to revive this old post but is their any news on this issue?  My contract expires in 2 months.  I now live in Germany and would like to use my phone with T-Mobile.

CEB

14 of 17 (5,154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 9:37:34 AM
(0)
Guru

Tampa_TDI wrote:

CEB

Nop. AT&T and Apple still don't unlock US iPhones. You would need to ask assistance with a third party to unlock it.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Tampa_TDI wrote:

CEB

Nop. AT&T and Apple still don't unlock US iPhones. You would need to ask assistance with a third party to unlock it.

15 of 17 (5,148 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 12:39:17 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by mightyjeeper on Oct 1, 2010 at 12:45:53 PM

BrianfromNO wrote:

I did not know that about the frequency confliction. Interesting stuff.

As an AT&T employee, the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinion.

BrianfromNO wrote:

I did not know that about the frequency confliction. Interesting stuff.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
16 of 17 (5,117 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 12:57:06 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by Sheik HF1 on Oct 1, 2010 at 1:01:24 PM

The t mobile in Germany uses a different frequency than the one in the US. So if you are in Germany then yes the iPhone will work with their 3G service which us the 2100 band. I would also recommend that once you discontinue your service is to seek T Mobile help along with Apple in Germany and see if yet can find a solution

The t mobile in Germany uses a different frequency than the one in the US. So if you are in Germany then yes the iPhone will work with their 3G service which us the 2100 band. I would also recommend that once you discontinue your service is to seek T Mobile help along with Apple in Germany and see if yet can find a solution

[ Edited ]
17 of 17 (5,104 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments