Unlocking / Rooting / s-off the HTC Vivid

Teacher

Unlocking / Rooting / s-off the HTC Vivid

As some of you may already know, the HTC CEO placed an announcement on the HTC Facebook page back in May 2011, that all their future phones would be unlocked. However, the Vivid IS locked and apparently AT&T is stating it's an HTC problem and HTC is blaming AT&T. Regardless, I do not like being forced to use Google / HTC apps and I would like them permanently removed, along with the ability to install the applications I really want. Since Android is based on Linux, which is open sourced, locking these phones makes it impossible to configure the Vivid as needed. If anyone finds that the Vivid does finally get the ability to be unlocked, I would appreciate a response to this. I am strongly considering returning the Vivid if there is no fix for this before the 30 day time limit.

Message 1 of 24 (9,839 Views)

Re: Unlocking / Rooting / s-off the HTC Vivid

Keep an eye on the xda-developers HTC Vivid Forum.  It's being worked on.

Message 2 of 24 (9,834 Views)
Scholar

Nothing in your post has anything to do with unlocking of the device. 

Unlocked simply means the device is not locked to any carrier, it has nothing to do with the apps installed or the users ability  to remove them.

Message 3 of 24 (9,834 Views)
Mentor

Ryan_ATL,

You must be a noobie, because it absolutely has to do with unlocking the device. The post is about s-off, which means unlocked hboot bootloader, which means unlocking the device eMMC NAND chip, which is the only way to permanently root the device.
Message 4 of 24 (9,822 Views)
Mentor

It is VERY lame that AT&T locks the Vivid, but not the SkyRocket. I wonder if AT&T knows they are getting bad reviews and negative forum presence, which losses them a lot of sales due to locking the bootloader.

The Vivid is a great device that won't do half of the sales it should because of this lock debacle.

They have to know that the mod forums become heros and they end up looking bad because everyone reads about the disappointment in the developer communities and then decide to stay at tmobile, or buy the device online from another seller.
Message 5 of 24 (9,822 Views)

[ Edited ]

gsleon3 wrote:
Ryan_ATL,

You must be a noobie, because it absolutely has to do with unlocking the device. The post is about s-off, which means unlocked hboot bootloader, which means unlocking the device eMMC NAND chip, which is the only way to permanently root the device.

In all fairness to the previous poster, there are two kinds of unlocking on these phones.  There's the SIM card unlock, which allows one to use SIM cards from other GSM carriers.  Then there's the bootloader unlock, which is what the OP was referring to.

I, too, would love to get rid of the bloat on this phone; and am waiting for positive results to be posted at xda-developers.

Message 6 of 24 (9,811 Views)
Expert

gsleon3 wrote:
It is VERY lame that AT&T locks the Vivid, but not the SkyRocket. I wonder if AT&T knows they are getting bad reviews and negative forum presence, which losses them a lot of sales due to locking the bootloader.

The Vivid is a great device that won't do half of the sales it should because of this lock debacle.

They have to know that the mod forums become heros and they end up looking bad because everyone reads about the disappointment in the developer communities and then decide to stay at tmobile, or buy the device online from another seller.

Curious why is it lame when they subsidize the majority portion of the cost of the phone for you, unless you paid the full 550.00 for it?

Message 7 of 24 (9,793 Views)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

gsleon3 wrote:

Curious why is it lame when they subsidize the majority portion of the cost of the phone for you, unless you paid the full 550.00 for it?

For one ting, gsleon is saying its lame that one AT&T phone is locked, while another is not, so being subsidized has nothing to do with it.  Also, its not like buying the device for full retail will get you an unlocked one.

Message 8 of 24 (9,787 Views)
Professor

junkstuff wrote:

Regardless, I do not like being forced to use Google / HTC apps and I would like them permanently removed, along with the ability to install the applications I really want. Since Android is based on Linux, which is open sourced, locking these phones makes it impossible to configure the Vivid as needed.

What Google apps are you trying to remove?  If you are talking about the requirement to have a Google login to use the phone, bootloader/NAND unlock and rooting is not going to fix that.  Plus, many Google services are embedded into the OS, so removing them can cause you some problems.  Same thing with some of the HTC apps.   They are part of the Sense framework, and removing some of them can break other things in the interface.  Although, some can be removed safely once you have root.  What Google or HTC apps are so offensive? 

Message 9 of 24 (9,786 Views)
Teacher

redpoint73 wrote:

junkstuff wrote:

Regardless, I do not like being forced to use Google / HTC apps and I would like them permanently removed, along with the ability to install the applications I really want. Since Android is based on Linux, which is open sourced, locking these phones makes it impossible to configure the Vivid as needed.

What Google apps are you trying to remove?  If you are talking about the requirement to have a Google login to use the phone, bootloader/NAND unlock and rooting is not going to fix that.  Plus, many Google services are embedded into the OS, so removing them can cause you some problems.  Same thing with some of the HTC apps.   They are part of the Sense framework, and removing some of them can break other things in the interface.  Although, some can be removed safely once you have root.  What Google or HTC apps are so offensive? 

Actually Google recently released Android ICS code, so I'm pretty well versed with what is and is not necessary to make the phone run. Getting into a conversation about what my personal needs are with the phone is a pretty subjective subject. Let's just say that as I said before, I cannot configure the phone properly with the O.S. locked and neither can anyone else. I've been a member of xda-developers for many years and in development of both software / hardware since around 1984, so I do have at least some experience in this arena. IMHO, forcing folks to use stock apps with out the ability to remove them, or replace them with a better app is not a good thing. Locking the phone wastes valuable time and prevents folks from configuring the Vivid properly according to one's needs. Your needs and views are probably different and I respect that. Myself and I think many others from what I've read, would rather have full use of the phone, and to do that we need the ability to Root and s-off the phone.

Message 10 of 24 (9,779 Views)
Professor

Unaware of your experience, I'm pretty sure redpoint was just giving the cautious approach, considering the amount of noobs that could mess up their phone. And if you have been around XDA as long as you state, you know what I mean. Forcing people to root just to uninstall unwanted apps is ridiculous on the carriers and manufacturers part. I have rooted for this and other reasons as well. Currently on my rooted Inspire, I am running Gingerbread 2.3.5 with Sense 3.0, which just blows away the buggy 2.3.3 with Sense 2.1 stock rom. I will not consider upgrading to the Vivid until the bootloader is unlocked and it is s-off and rooted.
Message 11 of 24 (9,516 Views)
Teacher

sitnsidewayz wrote:
Unaware of your experience, I'm pretty sure redpoint was just giving the cautious approach, considering the amount of noobs that could mess up their phone. And if you have been around XDA as long as you state, you know what I mean. Forcing people to root just to uninstall unwanted apps is ridiculous on the carriers and manufacturers part. I have rooted for this and other reasons as well. Currently on my rooted Inspire, I am running Gingerbread 2.3.5 with Sense 3.0, which just blows away the buggy 2.3.3 with Sense 2.1 stock rom. I will not consider upgrading to the Vivid until the bootloader is unlocked and it is s-off and rooted.

I can and do appreciate redpoint's cautiousness and the bricking issue. I envy your Inspire's unlockedness as well and probably should have waited with the Vivid, if it were not for HTC's Presidential post on Facebook. Perhaps they will come through, or perhaps GSLEON3, or one of the others will collect the bounty.  Your words all true. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 24 (9,510 Views)
Professor

junkstuff wrote:
I can and do appreciate redpoint's cautiousness and the bricking issue. I envy your Inspire's unlockedness as well and probably should have waited with the Vivid, if it were not for HTC's Presidential post on Facebook. Perhaps they will come through, or perhaps GSLEON3, or one of the others will collect the bounty.  Your words all true. Smiley Happy

My apologies if they are due.  From your OP, it was impossible to discern whether you were someone of less experience, that might remove some critical Google service and screw up the phone.  But after your subsequent explanation, its clear that your abilites and intent are far beyond that.  When in doubt, I typically make my responses for the masses. And particularly here (as oppossed to a place like XDA) the huge majority of the users are indeed noobs to this type of discussion.  IMO better for me to state the obvious and have experienced users just disregard, rather than have a noob do something they shouldn't, and mess up their phone.

I don't own a Vivid, and haven't been following development on it at all.  Any indication on whether the Revolutionary team is working on this phone, or that that the Revolutionary exploits can be used to gain S-Off?  Revolutionary seems to work on many newer HTC devices.  Or has HTC changed up their security measures yet again (or done something AT&T specific to protect S-off)?

Just kicking around XDA a bit, someone stated the following below, which would seem to indicate that AT&T is in fact to blame for the locked bootloader.  The Raider and the Vivid are the same phone, but it looks like only the Raider has the unlocked bootloader available.

AT&T users dont have any way to unlock the bootloader right now. The Raider can get an unlocked bootloader by using the HTCDev.com website.

if you have an unlocked bootloader, you can have permanent root.

Message 13 of 24 (9,488 Views)
Expert

redpoint73 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

gsleon3 wrote:

For one ting, gsleon is saying its lame that one AT&T phone is locked, while another is not, so being subsidized has nothing to do with it.  Also, its not like buying the device for full retail will get you an unlocked one.

doesn't really matter, it comes with theri logo on it so they can put what they want on it, same as verizon and sprint does. No one ever said that p[ay full retail gets you an unlocked one - again as a business owner I have no issues with locked items, the software we develop and sell require a renewal of the license / dongle key every year, if said key or dongle key is not replaced the software shuts down.

Message 14 of 24 (9,487 Views)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

redpoint73 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

gsleon3 wrote:

doesn't really matter, it comes with theri logo on it so they can put what they want on it, same as verizon and sprint does. No one ever said that p[ay full retail gets you an unlocked one - again as a business owner I have no issues with locked items, the software we develop and sell require a renewal of the license / dongle key every year, if said key or dongle key is not replaced the software shuts down.

The fact that you have your own business and how you choose to run it is irrelevant. What we are stating is the fact that we pay for a phone and outright own it, so we should be free to customize it any way we want. We understand that this may involve voiding the warranty, but we are all big boys here and choose to accept that. Android is an open operating system and does not require a license. The source code is openly distributed and the devs over at XDA do a far better job of further developing the software than the devs for the manufacturers. In many cases, it is those devs at XDA that provide the fixes for the bugs and glitches in the stock roms. The current Gingerbread release for the Inspire is a disgrace and neither the carrier nor the manufacturer seem to have any intent of providing fixes. All they can do is stand there and point fingers at each other. Like I said, what a disgrace.

Message 15 of 24 (9,481 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.