Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 6, 2011
4:59:04 PM
View profile
Unlocked phones and data plans

I was wondering if i purchased an unlocked smartphone off Ebay if I would need a data plan.The phone would have wifi because I have wifi everywhere I go and therfore have no need to pay the $15 a month.

I was wondering if i purchased an unlocked smartphone off Ebay if I would need a data plan.The phone would have wifi because I have wifi everywhere I go and therfore have no need to pay the $15 a month.

Unlocked phones and data plans

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2011 5:54:49 AM
(0)
Scholar
yes, you should be able to use it without a data plan.

Re: Unlocked phones and data plans

2 of 10 (3,124 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2011 7:23:16 AM
(0)
Expert

Jeremy_Legend wrote:

No, owned, locked, unlock read the terms of service - if it is a smartphone it requires a data plan, if one is not selected one will be added

Jeremy_Legend wrote:

No, owned, locked, unlock read the terms of service - if it is a smartphone it requires a data plan, if one is not selected one will be added

3 of 10 (3,122 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2011 6:28:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

....thats strange because im using a desire right now.

4 of 10 (3,107 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2011 7:55:55 AM
(0)
Expert

Jeremy_Legend wrote:

they just have not caught on yet

Jeremy_Legend wrote:

they just have not caught on yet

5 of 10 (3,104 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2011 8:29:12 AM
(0)
Scholar
well its been 18 months, not sure they will catch on Smiley Wink

6 of 10 (3,100 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2011 12:45:21 PM
(0)
Expert

Jeremy_Legend wrote:

maybe, maybe not, but when they do you can be sure they will add the plan - perfectly within their rights

Jeremy_Legend wrote:

maybe, maybe not, but when they do you can be sure they will add the plan - perfectly within their rights

7 of 10 (3,093 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 9, 2011 9:11:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

sourz123 wrote:

Yes, it still would require a data plan. If you "secretly" plan on using the phone without a specified data plan, AT&T does and will reserve the right to add one, maybe even without your consent. They usually notify you with a text message saying that the plan is going to be implemented, though.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

sourz123 wrote:

Yes, it still would require a data plan. If you "secretly" plan on using the phone without a specified data plan, AT&T does and will reserve the right to add one, maybe even without your consent. They usually notify you with a text message saying that the plan is going to be implemented, though.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 10 (3,071 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 2:15:38 PM
(0)
Contributor

Greedy AT&T will add it once a SIM card activates a smartphone.  

There are many customers out there that want a smartphone because of screen size, quality, etc. and not because of high data use, or in your case, have wifi access everywhere.  They will add a data plan (the most expensive, of course) and then send you a message (after the fact). For them to say: "This ensures that customers with data intensive devices are not unpleasantly surprised with high data pay-per-use charges" is nothing more than an assumption on their part and an excuse to force their data plans on customers.  I for one don't want to pay an extra $15/ month either.

Customers should have the choice to purchase a smartphone and then have pay per use date charges, if that is what they choose.

I have been an AT&T customer for many years, and this latest greedy move is the last straw.  When our contracts expire, I will take my business and all five lines elsewhere

Greedy AT&T will add it once a SIM card activates a smartphone.  

There are many customers out there that want a smartphone because of screen size, quality, etc. and not because of high data use, or in your case, have wifi access everywhere.  They will add a data plan (the most expensive, of course) and then send you a message (after the fact). For them to say: "This ensures that customers with data intensive devices are not unpleasantly surprised with high data pay-per-use charges" is nothing more than an assumption on their part and an excuse to force their data plans on customers.  I for one don't want to pay an extra $15/ month either.

Customers should have the choice to purchase a smartphone and then have pay per use date charges, if that is what they choose.

I have been an AT&T customer for many years, and this latest greedy move is the last straw.  When our contracts expire, I will take my business and all five lines elsewhere

9 of 10 (3,008 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2011 5:41:16 PM
(0)
Employee
every company i guess you could say is greedy. the reason for having a business is to make money. all carriers in post paid charge for a smartphone data. it's not news. you also have a choice of different carriers, if you didn't want that then why did you choose at&t, this information was given to you when you started service stating exactly what was going to happen.
every company i guess you could say is greedy. the reason for having a business is to make money. all carriers in post paid charge for a smartphone data. it's not news. you also have a choice of different carriers, if you didn't want that then why did you choose at&t, this information was given to you when you started service stating exactly what was going to happen.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

10 of 10 (2,990 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments