Unlocked phones and data plans

Visitor

Unlocked phones and data plans

I was wondering if i purchased an unlocked smartphone off Ebay if I would need a data plan.The phone would have wifi because I have wifi everywhere I go and therfore have no need to pay the $15 a month.

Message 1 of 10 (3,143 Views)

Re: Unlocked phones and data plans

yes, you should be able to use it without a data plan.
Message 2 of 10 (3,135 Views)
Expert

Jeremy_Legend wrote:
yes, you should be able to use it without a data plan.

No, owned, locked, unlock read the terms of service - if it is a smartphone it requires a data plan, if one is not selected one will be added

Message 3 of 10 (3,133 Views)

....thats strange because im using a desire right now.

Message 4 of 10 (3,118 Views)
Expert

Jeremy_Legend wrote:

....thats strange because im using a desire right now.

they just have not caught on yet

Message 5 of 10 (3,115 Views)

well its been 18 months, not sure they will catch on Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 10 (3,111 Views)
Expert

Jeremy_Legend wrote:
well its been 18 months, not sure they will catch on Smiley Wink

maybe, maybe not, but when they do you can be sure they will add the plan - perfectly within their rights

Message 7 of 10 (3,104 Views)
Master

sourz123 wrote:

I was wondering if i purchased an unlocked smartphone off Ebay if I would need a data plan.The phone would have wifi because I have wifi everywhere I go and therfore have no need to pay the $15 a month.

Yes, it still would require a data plan. If you "secretly" plan on using the phone without a specified data plan, AT&T does and will reserve the right to add one, maybe even without your consent. They usually notify you with a text message saying that the plan is going to be implemented, though.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 8 of 10 (3,082 Views)
Contributor

Greedy AT&T will add it once a SIM card activates a smartphone.  

There are many customers out there that want a smartphone because of screen size, quality, etc. and not because of high data use, or in your case, have wifi access everywhere.  They will add a data plan (the most expensive, of course) and then send you a message (after the fact). For them to say: "This ensures that customers with data intensive devices are not unpleasantly surprised with high data pay-per-use charges" is nothing more than an assumption on their part and an excuse to force their data plans on customers.  I for one don't want to pay an extra $15/ month either.

Customers should have the choice to purchase a smartphone and then have pay per use date charges, if that is what they choose.

I have been an AT&T customer for many years, and this latest greedy move is the last straw.  When our contracts expire, I will take my business and all five lines elsewhere

Message 9 of 10 (3,019 Views)
Employee

every company i guess you could say is greedy. the reason for having a business is to make money. all carriers in post paid charge for a smartphone data. it's not news. you also have a choice of different carriers, if you didn't want that then why did you choose at&t, this information was given to you when you started service stating exactly what was going to happen.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 10 (3,001 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.