Unlocked phones and data plans

Visitor

Unlocked phones and data plans

I was wondering if i purchased an unlocked smartphone off Ebay if I would need a data plan.The phone would have wifi because I have wifi everywhere I go and therfore have no need to pay the $15 a month.

Message 1 of 10

Re: Unlocked phones and data plans

yes, you should be able to use it without a data plan.
Message 2 of 10
Expert

Jeremy_Legend wrote:
yes, you should be able to use it without a data plan.

No, owned, locked, unlock read the terms of service - if it is a smartphone it requires a data plan, if one is not selected one will be added

Message 3 of 10

....thats strange because im using a desire right now.

Message 4 of 10
Expert

Jeremy_Legend wrote:

....thats strange because im using a desire right now.

they just have not caught on yet

Message 5 of 10

well its been 18 months, not sure they will catch on Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 10
Expert

Jeremy_Legend wrote:
well its been 18 months, not sure they will catch on Smiley Wink

maybe, maybe not, but when they do you can be sure they will add the plan - perfectly within their rights

Message 7 of 10
Master

sourz123 wrote:

I was wondering if i purchased an unlocked smartphone off Ebay if I would need a data plan.The phone would have wifi because I have wifi everywhere I go and therfore have no need to pay the $15 a month.

Yes, it still would require a data plan. If you "secretly" plan on using the phone without a specified data plan, AT&T does and will reserve the right to add one, maybe even without your consent. They usually notify you with a text message saying that the plan is going to be implemented, though.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 8 of 10
Contributor

Greedy AT&T will add it once a SIM card activates a smartphone.  

There are many customers out there that want a smartphone because of screen size, quality, etc. and not because of high data use, or in your case, have wifi access everywhere.  They will add a data plan (the most expensive, of course) and then send you a message (after the fact). For them to say: "This ensures that customers with data intensive devices are not unpleasantly surprised with high data pay-per-use charges" is nothing more than an assumption on their part and an excuse to force their data plans on customers.  I for one don't want to pay an extra $15/ month either.

Customers should have the choice to purchase a smartphone and then have pay per use date charges, if that is what they choose.

I have been an AT&T customer for many years, and this latest greedy move is the last straw.  When our contracts expire, I will take my business and all five lines elsewhere

Message 9 of 10
Employee

every company i guess you could say is greedy. the reason for having a business is to make money. all carriers in post paid charge for a smartphone data. it's not news. you also have a choice of different carriers, if you didn't want that then why did you choose at&t, this information was given to you when you started service stating exactly what was going to happen.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 10
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support