Helpful Links

Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2

Teacher

Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2

Today the online USA Apple Store began selling UNLOCKED ATT COMPATIBLE IPHONES,

I think we have all waited long enough for our contract-fulfilled iPhones to be unlocked.

It's time for ATT to act.

Steve

Message 1 of 70

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2

ATT does not unlock Iphones, this goes back to the first one that hit the market.

The could start doing so, like Apple started selling unlocked phones. And I'd say one must be pretty supid not to want make money out of thin air.

You can ebay the one you have and purchase one of the Apple unlocked phones direct from Apple now - 650 for 16GB or 750 for 32GB

I live in Russia, and can't sell on Ebay anything (Ebay does not allow to sell from Russia). And in Russia I hardly will find any one who will want to buy a locked phone for a decent price.

Message 31 of 70
Mentor

It's amazing how many people are actually defending provider locking. There's no logic behind provider locking. It's a mere anti-consumer and anti-competitive business practice. Here are some points I read most often from these defenders.

FAQ1: "I never travel outside the US, so why should I be bothered?"

Well, think about this. Look at your computer, laptop, etc. Are they locked to your ISP? No. Look at any landline phones. Are they locked to a single phone provider? No. So why would you want your cellphone be locked into a single provider?

FAQ2: "Unlocked phones are expensive."

This is probably the number one misconception. Unlocked has no/should not have any relations to subsidy. Look at countries like Singapore. You can get a subsidized iPhone for free with contract (yeah, free, unlike AT&T), and it's unlocked out of the box. Only US carriers that use this scare tactic by forcing provider locking on all their devices. The irony is, I can buy a phone at full price from AT&T, and it's still provider locked. Where's the logic in that?

FAQ3: "Provider locking allows advance phones to be out quicker and affordable."

False. Again, I point out countries like Singapore, where you can get a subsidized iPhone for free, and it's unlocked out of the box. How's a $199 locked iPhone from AT&T more affordable? And watch where companies are releasing their new phones first. HP released their Pre2 in Europe first. Windows Phone 7 phones are out in Europe first before US. Samsung Galaxy S2, Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc/Neo, all these phones are already out outside the US, but not here.

FAQ4: "There's only 1 other GSM carrier in the US with incompatible 3G, so what's the point of unlocked phones?" "AT&T is buying T-Mobile, so there will only be one GSM carrier, so what's the point of unlocked phones?"

These actually are the more reason to abolish provider-locking. If the 3G frequency is already limiting the use of the device to 1 carrier, then what's the point of provider locking? If there's only 1 carrier, then what's the point of provider locking?

There's simply no logic behind provider locking. It's anti-consumer and anti-competitive, and should be banned entirely. Now, this doesn't mean no subsidy. Carriers are welcomed to subsidize handsets in exchange for contracts, but there's no reason why the handsets should be provider locked.

Message 32 of 70

2 pata2001

Can't agree more! Excellent observations!

Message 33 of 70
Former Employee

"There's simply no logic behind provider locking. It's anti-consumer and anti-competitive, and should be banned entirely."

And all phones will be at their full retail price, you blame AT&T, but seriosly, think about it, if that was to happen the entire usebase of all carriers would freak out when they'll have to pay over $200 for what's free now, and $500-600-700 for smartphones... Phones are locked because when carrier gives you $400 discount on your phone they want to make sure that this phone is going to be used on their network and not taken somewhere else or sold on ebay right away.

Message 34 of 70
Teacher

"Phones are locked because when carrier gives you $400 discount"

Ha ha... let's do a fact check

(1) Locking is not necessary for the subsidy because the discount requires signing a contract. Merely breaking out of the contract costs you $375 early termination fee plus at least one monthly payment, this is more than adequate for AT&T to recoup the subsidy.

(2) Even after fullfilling 2-year contract, AT&T still does not do unlock

(3) Even for non-subsidized iPhones purchased at full retail price, AT&T still does not allow unlock

Message 35 of 70

drumn_bass wrote:

"There's simply no logic behind provider locking. It's anti-consumer and anti-competitive, and should be banned entirely."

And all phones will be at their full retail price, you blame AT&T, but seriosly, think about it, if that was to happen the entire usebase of all carriers would freak out when they'll have to pay over $200 for what's free now, and $500-600-700 for smartphones... Phones are locked because when carrier gives you $400 discount on your phone they want to make sure that this phone is going to be used on their network and not taken somewhere else or sold on ebay right away.

I registered just to correct you on this one. Please understand, I'm not coming down on you for confusing "unlocked" and "non-subsidized", but you're clearly wrong here.

The entire userbase wouldn't freak out if there was an option to buy a phone full price and not have a two year contract. Remember, it's an option; not an obligation. In fact, lots of carriers and home ISP's nowadays tout "no contracts" as a major selling point. If anything, it could potentially open up a new market for you.

To your second point, phones are locked now because policy makers often confuse a subsidy with a contract. If I buy a phone with a $400 subsidy and then sell it on ebay, that doesn't transfer the contract. I'm still liable to AT&T for the remainder of that contract. In effect, I'm paying off the subsidy. Whether anyone else gets to use their service should be irrelevant. I'm paying for a service and they're selling a service. If I buy a phone and smash it on the ground, they won't come running after me or prevent me from breaking it; I'm just without a phone but still paying off that contract. Unlocking should be viewed the same way.

Message 36 of 70
Former Employee

There is currently an option to buy a "no contract" phone, what I'm saying is what if that was the ONLY option, no subsidies at all, anyone can buy a phone at full retail right now, no one ever does, and if someone has no choice because they're already in contract, it's always a huge shock and people feel "ripped off". When someone buys a phone with discount and signs a contract, they can easily switch the SIM card to any phone they want, like an old phone, and if there was no lock, there would be nothing stopping people from upgrading to expensive phones just so they can sell it overseas or whatever. Some still do that, but at least if the phone can only be used on AT&T's network, it'll most likely be used on AT&T's network. Also, AT&T discounts more on iPhone than ANY other phone, it made it possible for so many people to purchase and enjoy the phone (You can now buy an iPhone for $49, brand new), so selling them without a network lock for the same price would be the worst business decision ever. There are shareholders to report too you know, AT&T is not a charity or non-profit type of organization.

Message 37 of 70
Teacher

Please don't insult our intelligence. Nobody here is asking AT&T to sell unlocked iPhone at the same subsidized price of $199 (or $49 for 3GS).

The question is for devices purchased at full price, or those after completion of the 2 year contract. In both cases, the $400 subsidy is already paid for.
Message 38 of 70
Master

uminatsu wrote:
Please don't insult our intelligence. Nobody here is asking AT&T to sell unlocked iPhone at the same subsidized price of $199 (or $49 for 3GS).

The question is for devices purchased at full price, or those after completion of the 2 year contract. In both cases, the $400 subsidy is already paid for.

Regardless of you arguments, the policy today is that they do not unlock the iPhones!  We may agree with you but the policy is what it is for now and it is what it is when we agreed to buy the iPhone.  No one forced us to buy it! 

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 39 of 70
Teacher

Youngim, I agree with you, yours is a valid point. I'm merely pointing out that the argument of drumm_bass is invalid.
Message 40 of 70
Mentor

I do not see how or why it would be the worst business decision ever to sell a phone without a network lock. Like several others have tried to get it across to some of you that support the network lock, AT&T get's paid by the customer whether the phone is locked or unlocked because AT&T already tied the customer down with a contract. If the customer does break the contract, AT&T does charge the ETF and in some cases AT&T also recovers the cost of the subsidized phone.

IMO, if AT&T was smart enough, they would already be charging customers a nominal fee to unlock iPhones upon request from customers. With the amount of iPhones they have sold over the years, they stand to make a killing out of nothing even if 10% of the customers request their phones to be unlocked.

Most of us that want AT&T to unlock our iPhones (similar to how the unlock all the other phones that they sell with contracts) are and have been longtime AT&T customers and are very likely to stay with AT&T. The reason we want our phones to be unlocked is to use them with local SIM cards when in another country and this will not require us to carry an extra phone or pay AT&T an arm and a leg when we get our cell phone bill on returning to the US.

Message 41 of 70
Professor

drumn_bass wrote:

There is currently an option to buy a "no contract" phone, what I'm saying is what if that was the ONLY option, no subsidies at all, anyone can buy a phone at full retail right now, no one ever does, and if someone has no choice because they're already in contract, it's always a huge shock and people feel "ripped off".

Our current model doesn't benefit the consumer if he/she wants to buy a non-subsidized device.  If I buy a phone on eBay and get service from at&t, I pay the same amount for my monthly bill as someone who bought a subsidized phone from at&t.  The only way that I wouldn't feel taken advantage of is if I used at&t for less than two years.  Being that the phone that I bought probably only works on at&t's 3G/4G service, I have no incentive to go elsewhere.

This chess game where the consumer is always the loser needs to stop.  The problem is that if all the carriers with decent phones use the same business practices, the consumer does not have a choice if he wants cellular service.  I would love to see consumer dependence on subsidized devices drop and a corresponding drop in carrier monthly prices.  Sadly, I don't think that this will happen anytime soon.

Message 42 of 70
Mentor

drumn_bass wrote:

Read the FAQ2 and 3 on my precious post. Like I already said, unlocked doesn't have to do with subsidy. This is the misconception and FUD that is hammered by US wireless carriers to us. Again, if you read my post, I pointed out Singapore for example, where you can get an iPhone subsidized for FREE (can you get an iphone from AT&T for free?), and it's unlocked out of the box. Same thing with other countries in Europe. So tell me, is $199 locked iPhone from AT&T more affordable than a free unlocked iPhone? Read my post in its entirety. Carriers should be welcomed to subsidize phones in exchange for the contract. That's it. There NO reason why the handsets themselves should be locked.

Message 43 of 70
Contributor

I don't recall making lifetime agreement with Att. They have to give me full rights of my phone after 2 years or before with apayment.  

34 Countries Offering Unlocked iPhone,  http://www.9to5mac.com/72095/carrier-free-iphones-now-in-34-countries-verizon-and-att-mum-on-authori...

Apple and ATT are both American companies. Does American customer deserve this treatment??

Att also has extremely high roaming charges. Try to use your att iphone in England you'll see the difference after paying couple thousand dollars.

There is no law forcing ATT to unlock phones. Only social media and customer awareness make this happen.

Thinking of ATT customers, they seem to be complaining a lot but they don't get in to the action

New class action might help on this.

Message 44 of 70
Professor

kennygeane wrote:

I don't recall making lifetime agreement with Att. They have to give me full rights of my phone after 2 years or before with apayment. 

No, they do not.  It is clearly stated, and has been since 2007, that the iPhone is locked to AT&T.  You chose to purchase the device anyways.  YOU agreed to those terms.

kennygeane wrote:

Apple and ATT are both American companies. Does American customer deserve this treatment??

What treatment?  Are you referring to being open and honest with customers?  Then heck yeah... EVERYONE deserves over and honest communication with customers.

Did you just fall off the turnip truck this morning?  OR do you have a lifetime of experience at being clueless?

Message 45 of 70
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support