Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 14, 2011
5:16:02 AM
View profile
Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2
Edited by swSteve on Jun 14, 2011 at 5:29:13 AM

Today the online USA Apple Store began selling UNLOCKED ATT COMPATIBLE IPHONES,

I think we have all waited long enough for our contract-fulfilled iPhones to be unlocked.

It's time for ATT to act.

Steve

Today the online USA Apple Store began selling UNLOCKED ATT COMPATIBLE IPHONES,

I think we have all waited long enough for our contract-fulfilled iPhones to be unlocked.

It's time for ATT to act.

Steve

Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2

[ Edited ]
69 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(69)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2011 6:20:12 PM
(0)
Master
Apple controls the unlock process. Samsung either uses codes based on hardware or provided ATT with the tools to unlock their phones. They are not the same and cannot be compared in the way you have stated.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Apple controls the unlock process. Samsung either uses codes based on hardware or provided ATT with the tools to unlock their phones. They are not the same and cannot be compared in the way you have stated.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2

61 of 70 (833 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2011 8:26:24 PM
(0)
Teacher
Satchev.
Let me solve you the riddle about the unknown unlock process and you will tell me how much it costs to do such a simple thing.
1. Apple built a system with a db that includes a list of unlocked phone. AT&T paid $0 for it.
2. AT&T rep is putting the imei into the system, 15 secs in work hours that includes listening and validating.
3. All other labor is on customer side - 1 sync.
4. 5 secs of computer processing + networking while running the system.

People, did we pass the dollar?

Now how much AT&T can actually charge for it because it is a customer need? Infinite. But the customer would not mind paying $30-50.

In short, do not play stupied because you are the only one who allows himself to be one.
Satchev.
Let me solve you the riddle about the unknown unlock process and you will tell me how much it costs to do such a simple thing.
1. Apple built a system with a db that includes a list of unlocked phone. AT&T paid $0 for it.
2. AT&T rep is putting the imei into the system, 15 secs in work hours that includes listening and validating.
3. All other labor is on customer side - 1 sync.
4. 5 secs of computer processing + networking while running the system.

People, did we pass the dollar?

Now how much AT&T can actually charge for it because it is a customer need? Infinite. But the customer would not mind paying $30-50.

In short, do not play stupied because you are the only one who allows himself to be one.

62 of 70 (816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2011 3:38:49 AM
(0)
Expert

swSteve wrote:

wingrider01 wrote: 

Guess you missed seeing the simple fact that Verizon now offers the Iphone, but again it is locked to the Verizon network only just like the att phone is locked to the att network. Kind of negates your statement

OK so I guess you did not understand that I meant... Sole GSM iphone carrier...

Very helpful post, and so worth reading.

You have done this community a great service.

Now you can go have your AT&T Young Pioneer member card stamped with extra merit points.

Steve

If you mean to state GSM only do so, as stated you just mentioned the "sole carrier", which is incorrect.

swSteve wrote:

wingrider01 wrote: 

Guess you missed seeing the simple fact that Verizon now offers the Iphone, but again it is locked to the Verizon network only just like the att phone is locked to the att network. Kind of negates your statement

OK so I guess you did not understand that I meant... Sole GSM iphone carrier...

Very helpful post, and so worth reading.

You have done this community a great service.

Now you can go have your AT&T Young Pioneer member card stamped with extra merit points.

Steve

If you mean to state GSM only do so, as stated you just mentioned the "sole carrier", which is incorrect.

63 of 70 (781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 10:53:06 AM
(0)
Contributor

Great Post. 

I am currently out of contract.   If AT&T will not unlock my IPhone 3gs and my wife's We will be moving to another provider  and possibly another smart phone platform.

My concerns are around international travel.  We will never pay ATT's insane rates for international roaming.  We purchased unlocked GSM phones to use abroad.  Its rediculous that we have to do so ulnlock the phones that we have now fully paid for AT&T or I guarantee you at least 2 less customers in the near future. 

Great Post. 

I am currently out of contract.   If AT&T will not unlock my IPhone 3gs and my wife's We will be moving to another provider  and possibly another smart phone platform.

My concerns are around international travel.  We will never pay ATT's insane rates for international roaming.  We purchased unlocked GSM phones to use abroad.  Its rediculous that we have to do so ulnlock the phones that we have now fully paid for AT&T or I guarantee you at least 2 less customers in the near future. 

64 of 70 (529 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2011 2:05:30 PM
(0)
Expert

wfreker wrote:

Great Post. 

good luck on your new provider then, ATT will not unlock a Iphone, the only GSM Iphone that is available unlocked is the full retail cost one from Apple. Hope the grass is greener over there for you.

wfreker wrote:

Great Post. 

good luck on your new provider then, ATT will not unlock a Iphone, the only GSM Iphone that is available unlocked is the full retail cost one from Apple. Hope the grass is greener over there for you.

65 of 70 (509 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2011 2:56:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

If ATT doen't know how to do telecomunication business, it is better to start some charity business so that they can earn good money in the name of charity. Does ATT thinks customers get money without doing hardwork?

If ATT doen't know how to do telecomunication business, it is better to start some charity business so that they can earn good money in the name of charity. Does ATT thinks customers get money without doing hardwork?

66 of 70 (455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2011 1:50:19 AM
(0)
Employee
where do you thimnk at&t gets those unlocked codes? from the manufacturer. so it's not at&t's responsibility to give unlock your phone. nokia for instance doesn't give at&t unlock codes like other phones, we need to send infoirmation off to get it from nokia on a case by case situation.
where do you thimnk at&t gets those unlocked codes? from the manufacturer. so it's not at&t's responsibility to give unlock your phone. nokia for instance doesn't give at&t unlock codes like other phones, we need to send infoirmation off to get it from nokia on a case by case situation.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

67 of 70 (436 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2011 7:04:55 AM
(0)
Expert

dwarakrg wrote:

Guess they must know what they are doing then considering for 2010 they ranked number 7 for the Fortune 500 companies.

Just because they have a policy not to unlock a phone is not a issue with their ability to do business as a company. ATT is not the only company that will not unlock this particular phone.

dwarakrg wrote:

Guess they must know what they are doing then considering for 2010 they ranked number 7 for the Fortune 500 companies.

Just because they have a policy not to unlock a phone is not a issue with their ability to do business as a company. ATT is not the only company that will not unlock this particular phone.

68 of 70 (428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2011 5:59:27 AM
(0)
Tutor

I agree,we are just waiting...

I agree,we are just waiting...

69 of 70 (395 Views)