Helpful Links

Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2

Teacher

Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2

 

Today the online USA Apple Store began selling UNLOCKED ATT COMPATIBLE IPHONES,

 

 

 

I think we have all waited long enough for our contract-fulfilled iPhones to be unlocked.

 

It's time for ATT to act.

 

Steve

 

2,308 Views
Message 1 of 70
Expert

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2


wireless-user wrote:

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

As someone who rarely travels outside the continental US, I just don't see what having my iPhone unlocked does for me... 

<snip)

Seriously, what's the big deal about unlocking anyway?  I've yet to see anyone present a strong case as to WHY it needs to be done, other than you can sell/take your iPhone overseas and expect  it to work.


 

For you it does nothing.  For those of us who are travelling the world it does plenty.

 

If AT&T continues to refuse to unlock the easy answer (now) is to buy an unlocked device from Apple and e-bay the old device.

 

Simple solution that ends the AT&T fanboys who whine about people who "need" and unlocked iPhone.

 

 

 

 



qualify - are you really willing to pay 650 / 750 just for a unlocked device? I travel extensively, both in the US and outisde the US, the amount of money for a unlocked iphone does not have the ROI to justify it.

 

Why is it that people that are offended by a difference in opinion to something always resort to the term "fanboi" to justify their arguements?  I am not a "fanboi" of ATT, Verizon, Sprint, O2 or Globalcom, I and a lot of my employee's carry phones for thost providers if not ALL of them for business. I see no reason why a unlocked iphone for anyone that stays with in the US can be justified - ATT is the only one that can supply full spectrum usage for the phone, T-Mobile you can use it on but the usability is badly nuetered (besides looks like t-mobile will be ATT down the road). The unlocked phone are GSM only so that lets out Verizon as a provider. As far as "traveling the world" it is normally cheaper to setup service in the countries that you are traveling to then to bring your own phone, not to mention a lot less of a technical support issue.

 

The only ones that this will benefit the most are those foreign nationals that come to the US to purchase a Iphone at a lot less cost then what it runs in their native country.

Message 16 of 70

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2


wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

As someone who rarely travels outside the continental US, I just don't see what having my iPhone unlocked does for me... 

<snip)

Seriously, what's the big deal about unlocking anyway?  I've yet to see anyone present a strong case as to WHY it needs to be done, other than you can sell/take your iPhone overseas and expect  it to work.


 

For you it does nothing.  For those of us who are travelling the world it does plenty.

 

If AT&T continues to refuse to unlock the easy answer (now) is to buy an unlocked device from Apple and e-bay the old device.

 

Simple solution that ends the AT&T fanboys who whine about people who "need" and unlocked iPhone.

 

 

 

 



qualify - are you really willing to pay 650 / 750 just for a unlocked device? I travel extensively, both in the US and outisde the US, the amount of money for a unlocked iphone does not have the ROI to justify it.

 

Why is it that people that are offended by a difference in opinion to something always resort to the term "fanboi" to justify their arguements?  I am not a "fanboi" of ATT, Verizon, Sprint, O2 or Globalcom, I and a lot of my employee's carry phones for thost providers if not ALL of them for business. I see no reason why a unlocked iphone for anyone that stays with in the US can be justified - ATT is the only one that can supply full spectrum usage for the phone, T-Mobile you can use it on but the usability is badly nuetered (besides looks like t-mobile will be ATT down the road). The unlocked phone are GSM only so that lets out Verizon as a provider. As far as "traveling the world" it is normally cheaper to setup service in the countries that you are traveling to then to bring your own phone, not to mention a lot less of a technical support issue.

 

The only ones that this will benefit the most are those foreign nationals that come to the US to purchase a Iphone at a ot less cost then what it runs in their native country.


1. My life isn't wedded to a spreadsheet,  ROI isn't my only consideration. However, over the years I have had overseas roaming charges that make the $750 for a new phone look attractive enough for me.  I usually carry 2 or 3 iPhones when outside the USA, bepending on the country, including an AT&T Sim loaded phone for business callers. If the call is answered I either ask the caller to ring my international number, or call them back on the local SIM loaded phone. In the end, the costs have been "significantly" lower than the AT&T international roaming game. 

2. I have never had a tech support issue in any country.  It's easier to carry a small bag of SIMs than worry about multiple in-country accounts.

 

3. Any Yank who travels "may" also benefit as well as visitors to our country. 

 

The benefits are in the eye of the beholder. You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

 

"Why is it that people that are offended by a difference in opinion to something always resort to the term "fanboi" to justify their arguements? "

 

I didn't call you a "fanboi",  you came to that conclusion all by yourself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Message 17 of 70
Tutor

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2


dwill05 wrote:
For carriers overseas that sell both locked and unlocked iphones, do they ever unlock the ones originally sold as locked?

Yes.  They send some kind of notification to Apple, then the next time you sync your phone, iTunes will tell you it is unlocked.  It's time that AT&T allowed this as well, especially if they want to look "nice" to the FCC and FTC come merger time.

Message 18 of 70
Expert

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2


wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

As someone who rarely travels outside the continental US, I just don't see what having my iPhone unlocked does for me... 

<snip)

Seriously, what's the big deal about unlocking anyway?  I've yet to see anyone present a strong case as to WHY it needs to be done, other than you can sell/take your iPhone overseas and expect  it to work.


 

For you it does nothing.  For those of us who are travelling the world it does plenty.

 

If AT&T continues to refuse to unlock the easy answer (now) is to buy an unlocked device from Apple and e-bay the old device.

 

Simple solution that ends the AT&T fanboys who whine about people who "need" and unlocked iPhone.

 

 

 

 



qualify - are you really willing to pay 650 / 750 just for a unlocked device? I travel extensively, both in the US and outisde the US, the amount of money for a unlocked iphone does not have the ROI to justify it.

 

Why is it that people that are offended by a difference in opinion to something always resort to the term "fanboi" to justify their arguements?  I am not a "fanboi" of ATT, Verizon, Sprint, O2 or Globalcom, I and a lot of my employee's carry phones for thost providers if not ALL of them for business. I see no reason why a unlocked iphone for anyone that stays with in the US can be justified - ATT is the only one that can supply full spectrum usage for the phone, T-Mobile you can use it on but the usability is badly nuetered (besides looks like t-mobile will be ATT down the road). The unlocked phone are GSM only so that lets out Verizon as a provider. As far as "traveling the world" it is normally cheaper to setup service in the countries that you are traveling to then to bring your own phone, not to mention a lot less of a technical support issue.

 

The only ones that this will benefit the most are those foreign nationals that come to the US to purchase a Iphone at a ot less cost then what it runs in their native country.


1. My life isn't wedded to a spreadsheet,  ROI isn't my only consideration. However, over the years I have had overseas roaming charges that make the $750 for a new phone look attractive enough for me.  I usually carry 2 or 3 iPhones when outside the USA, bepending on the country, including an AT&T Sim loaded phone for business callers. If the call is answered I either ask the caller to ring my international number, or call them back on the local SIM loaded phone. In the end, the costs have been "significantly" lower than the AT&T international roaming game. 

2. I have never had a tech support issue in any country.  It's easier to carry a small bag of SIMs than worry about multiple in-country accounts.

 

3. Any Yank who travels "may" also benefit as well as visitors to our country. 

 

The benefits are in the eye of the beholder. You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

 

"Why is it that people that are offended by a difference in opinion to something always resort to the term "fanboi" to justify their arguements? "

 

I didn't call you a "fanboi",  you came to that conclusion all by yourself.

 

 

  

 

 

 


easy enough conclusion since you worde that anyone who disagreed with you was a ATT fanboi

 

aka -

 

Smiley Frustratedimple solution that ends the AT&T fanboys who whine about people who "need" and unlocked iPhone."

 

was your statement - anyone who "whined" about "needing" was a "fanboi

 

You carry a " I usually carry 2 or 3 iPhones when outside the USA, bepending on the country, including an AT&T Sim loaded phone for business callers" aka jail broken phones, well now you can rejoice you can ebay the phones and get on that is not jail broken so you don;t have to worrtyu about every OS upgrade.

 

 

Message 19 of 70

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2


 

You carry a " I usually carry 2 or 3 iPhones when outside the USA, bepending on the country, including an AT&T Sim loaded phone for business callers" aka jail broken phones, well now you can rejoice you can ebay the phones and get on that is not jail broken so you don;t have to worrtyu about every OS upgrade.

 

 



Different discussions, unlocked, factory unlocked vs. jailbroken.  Lot's of cool apps available from sources other than Apple that aren't in the App Store.

 

I haven;t upgraded the OS since buying the iPhone 4s and ULing them.  Also have an old UL iPhone 3.  They all work fine.

 

Didn't I just read someplace that ~47% of iPhone owners have not connected to iTunes since purchasing the phone?

 

 

Message 20 of 70
Teacher

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA. CanU unlock OUR iPhones now?


wingrider01 wrote:

swSteve wrote:

 

It's clear that Apple is saying YES,

 

and ATT is saying NO

 

Strange how it takes no time at all for these

gloating "first responders" to jump to

the defense of ATT's shoddy business practices.

 

 

Steve

 



you are right, Apple is saying yes - but you pay 650.00 for 16GB and 750.00 for 32GB - not sure to many people will want to buy that cost considering if you stay in the US, the only network that will fully support the device is ATT.

 

The only one's this will benefit are the foreign nationals who vist the US and want to obtain the Iphone for less then what they would have to pay in their native country, the phone is also GSM only, the cdma version is not being offered.

 

If you want to spend that kind of money for a "unlocked iphone" go for it, doesn;t seem possible that a subsidized version of the phone will be available anytime soon - if it does come to that you can pretty much be certain that the etf for that particular model of the iphone will be raised to recoup the lose if someone purchase the unlocked subsidized version and leaves after the first month. I can see a 450.00 ETF for a subsidized unlocked version of the iphone

 

The article pertains to new unsubsidized sale of the phone, it has absolutley nothing to do with current or new subsidized pricing - and I doubt it will in the foreseeable future


 

AT&T sells contract-free iPhones because some people need 'em.

not just "foreign nationals "

;

Now we have a choice.

.

1. Buy it LOCKED from AT&T for $599 or

2. Buy it UNLOCKED from Apple for $649 (fifty bucks more)

;

As per your point... Good idea!

I would gladly sign up for a slightly higher Early Termination Fee to have the phone unlocked.

Unlocked phones are easier to sell on eBay if I decide to upgrade the next year instead of waiting 2 years!

.

Steve

 

 

Message 21 of 70
Mentor

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2

It's the principle. After my 2 year contract is up my end of the deal is complefe. It should be my property. Whether I leave the country or not does not make a difference.
Message 22 of 70
Mentor

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA. CanU unlock OUR iPhones now?

Unless at&t starts to offer unlocks after fulfilling one's contract (or at some point earlier), then I will probably not buy a subsidized phone from at&t again. It just doesn't make sense for my phone to be a paper weight should I ever choose to leave at&t. Besides, my cell phone bill is already around $200/month - paying $450 extra for the phone as a one time fee will not break the bank.
Message 23 of 70
Scholar

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2


dwill05 wrote:
For carriers overseas that sell both locked and unlocked iphones, do they ever unlock the ones originally sold as locked?

Yes, they do. In some countries (UK for one.) Usually, a fee is paid and the phone is unlocked.

Message 24 of 70
Scholar

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2


wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

As someone who rarely travels outside the continental US, I just don't see what having my iPhone unlocked does for me... 

<snip)

Seriously, what's the big deal about unlocking anyway?  I've yet to see anyone present a strong case as to WHY it needs to be done, other than you can sell/take your iPhone overseas and expect  it to work.


 

For you it does nothing.  For those of us who are travelling the world it does plenty.

 

If AT&T continues to refuse to unlock the easy answer (now) is to buy an unlocked device from Apple and e-bay the old device.

 

Simple solution that ends the AT&T fanboys who whine about people who "need" and unlocked iPhone.

 

 

 

 



qualify - are you really willing to pay 650 / 750 just for a unlocked device? I travel extensively, both in the US and outisde the US, the amount of money for a unlocked iphone does not have the ROI to justify it.

 

Why is it that people that are offended by a difference in opinion to something always resort to the term "fanboi" to justify their arguements?  I am not a "fanboi" of ATT, Verizon, Sprint, O2 or Globalcom, I and a lot of my employee's carry phones for thost providers if not ALL of them for business. I see no reason why a unlocked iphone for anyone that stays with in the US can be justified - ATT is the only one that can supply full spectrum usage for the phone, T-Mobile you can use it on but the usability is badly nuetered (besides looks like t-mobile will be ATT down the road). The unlocked phone are GSM only so that lets out Verizon as a provider. As far as "traveling the world" it is normally cheaper to setup service in the countries that you are traveling to then to bring your own phone, not to mention a lot less of a technical support issue.

 

The only ones that this will benefit the most are those foreign nationals that come to the US to purchase a Iphone at a lot less cost then what it runs in their native country.


At the asking prices for an unlocked phone, it's not that much cheaper.

Message 25 of 70
Expert

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA. CanU unlock OUR iPhones now?


swSteve wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

swSteve wrote:

 

It's clear that Apple is saying YES,

 

and ATT is saying NO

 

Strange how it takes no time at all for these

gloating "first responders" to jump to

the defense of ATT's shoddy business practices.

 

 

Steve

 



you are right, Apple is saying yes - but you pay 650.00 for 16GB and 750.00 for 32GB - not sure to many people will want to buy that cost considering if you stay in the US, the only network that will fully support the device is ATT.

 

The only one's this will benefit are the foreign nationals who vist the US and want to obtain the Iphone for less then what they would have to pay in their native country, the phone is also GSM only, the cdma version is not being offered.

 

If you want to spend that kind of money for a "unlocked iphone" go for it, doesn;t seem possible that a subsidized version of the phone will be available anytime soon - if it does come to that you can pretty much be certain that the etf for that particular model of the iphone will be raised to recoup the lose if someone purchase the unlocked subsidized version and leaves after the first month. I can see a 450.00 ETF for a subsidized unlocked version of the iphone

 

The article pertains to new unsubsidized sale of the phone, it has absolutley nothing to do with current or new subsidized pricing - and I doubt it will in the foreseeable future


 

AT&T sells contract-free iPhones because some people need 'em.

not just "foreign nationals "

;

Now we have a choice.

.

1. Buy it LOCKED from AT&T for $599 or

2. Buy it UNLOCKED from Apple for $649 (fifty bucks more)

;

As per your point... Good idea!

I would gladly sign up for a slightly higher Early Termination Fee to have the phone unlocked.

Unlocked phones are easier to sell on eBay if I decide to upgrade the next year instead of waiting 2 years!

.

Steve

 

 



You must be buying the phone out of contract, I only paid 299.00 for my 32GB phone.

 

/rofl the only ATT members that need them are the ones that work and travel outside the US - no other carrier in the US can fully support the Iphone, so why pay a premiuj price for something that fails to function properly. Kind of like buying a custom Shelby Cobra but only putting a 4 cylinder in it

Message 26 of 70
Expert

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2


smalcom wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

 


DimentoGraven wrote:

As someone who rarely travels outside the continental US, I just don't see what having my iPhone unlocked does for me... 

<snip)

Seriously, what's the big deal about unlocking anyway?  I've yet to see anyone present a strong case as to WHY it needs to be done, other than you can sell/take your iPhone overseas and expect  it to work.


 

For you it does nothing.  For those of us who are travelling the world it does plenty.

 

If AT&T continues to refuse to unlock the easy answer (now) is to buy an unlocked device from Apple and e-bay the old device.

 

Simple solution that ends the AT&T fanboys who whine about people who "need" and unlocked iPhone.

 

 

 

 



qualify - are you really willing to pay 650 / 750 just for a unlocked device? I travel extensively, both in the US and outisde the US, the amount of money for a unlocked iphone does not have the ROI to justify it.

 

Why is it that people that are offended by a difference in opinion to something always resort to the term "fanboi" to justify their arguements?  I am not a "fanboi" of ATT, Verizon, Sprint, O2 or Globalcom, I and a lot of my employee's carry phones for thost providers if not ALL of them for business. I see no reason why a unlocked iphone for anyone that stays with in the US can be justified - ATT is the only one that can supply full spectrum usage for the phone, T-Mobile you can use it on but the usability is badly nuetered (besides looks like t-mobile will be ATT down the road). The unlocked phone are GSM only so that lets out Verizon as a provider. As far as "traveling the world" it is normally cheaper to setup service in the countries that you are traveling to then to bring your own phone, not to mention a lot less of a technical support issue.

 

The only ones that this will benefit the most are those foreign nationals that come to the US to purchase a Iphone at a lot less cost then what it runs in their native country.


At the asking prices for an unlocked phone, it's not that much cheaper.



DOn;t know where you got your iphone but only paid 299 for a 32gb - unless you consider a 450.00 cost "not much more"

Message 27 of 70

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2

Hello!

Could some one explain why AT&T would not provide an unlock for a certain cost? I would pay even 100$, and I am sure I would not be the only one willing to do so. This could be profittable for AT&T.Let me explain.

 

I am from Russia and bought a "no contract" iPhone4 32Gb at Apple Store in Miami in November 2010 for 730$. In Russia a factory unlocked iPhone4 32Gb (brought from Italy or Hong Kong or Canada) was sold for 1200$. I am not crazy to pay such money. I better buy a locked phone and use some unauthorized methods to make it work. But certainly it would be convenient to have it officialy unlocked (no problems with firmware updates, etc), and I repeat I am willing to pay for that.

Message 28 of 70
Expert

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2


Yautja Hunter wrote:

Hello!

Could some one explain why AT&T would not provide an unlock for a certain cost? I would pay even 100$, and I am sure I would not be the only one willing to do so. This could be profittable for AT&T.Let me explain.

 

I am from Russia and bought a "no contract" iPhone4 32Gb at Apple Store in Miami in November 2010 for 730$. In Russia a factory unlocked iPhone4 32Gb (brought from Italy or Hong Kong or Canada) was sold for 1200$. I am not crazy to pay such money. I better buy a locked phone and use some unauthorized methods to make it work. But certainly it would be convenient to have it officialy unlocked (no problems with firmware updates, etc), and I repeat I am willing to pay for that.



ATT does not unlock Iphones, this goes back to the first one that hit the market.

 

You can ebay the one you have and purchase one of the Apple unlocked phones direct from Apple now - 650 for 16GB or 750 for 32GB

Message 29 of 70
Teacher

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2

Three points:
1. For those who are claming that att is not obligated. Yes, we know, we ask AT&T to do something that will make the customers life much more comfortable. It is not about what AT&T is obligated to, it is what we as customers ask AT&T to change because the policy is wrong.
2. For those who are claiming that we should buy new phones. Me and my family paid more than enough for the iPhones that we use, if you want to be nice and buy us one, we will not object, considering the fact that you sound like you have a money tree in your yard. And if this is AT&T's approach, I am not a milking cow.
3. For those who say that there is not a lot of people who will buy unlocked phones in the us. You just don't understand how many tourists are buying iPhones in America. 650 for the 16 and 750 for the 32 is considered as a bargen in to many countries.

Well the point is. If you are just a user and claming one of the above, they in Israel that when the brain doesn't work, the whole body is suffers. If this claims are maid by att's reps, well, shame on you.
Message 30 of 70
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support