Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2

Teacher

Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2

[ Edited ]

Today the online USA Apple Store began selling UNLOCKED ATT COMPATIBLE IPHONES,

I think we have all waited long enough for our contract-fulfilled iPhones to be unlocked.

It's time for ATT to act.

Steve

Message 1 of 70 (2,268 Views)
Professor

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA. CanU unlock OUR iPhones now?

And if Apple and ATT continue to say no, then what?
Message 2 of 70 (2,213 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

It's clear that Apple is saying YES,

and ATT is saying NO

Strange how it takes no time at all for these

gloating "first responders" to jump to

the defense of ATT's shoddy business practices.

Steve

Message 3 of 70 (2,211 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

It will be interesting to see what happens. Apple will be the one making money by selling unlocked iPhones, but they won't see a dime from unlocking existing phones, so it may probably be up to AT&T. Not sure there is much business incentive for AT&T to unlock existing phones.

It's also interesting for all of these relatively new posters to come here and demand that AT&T change their business practices just because it would be benefit them personally.

Message 4 of 70 (2,205 Views)
Scholar

Re: Unlocked iPhones@AppleUSA.Time to unlock OUR phones2

swSteve wrote:

I think we have all waited long enough for our contract-fulfilled iPhones to be unlocked.

Steve

Here's an article about the change:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/06/apple-sells-unlocked-gsm-iphones-for-650/

Message 5 of 70 (2,199 Views)
Professor

swSteve wrote:

Steve

And you are welcome to go to Apple and buy an unlocked iPhone4.

AT&T has no obligation to unlock existing iPhones for any customer for any reason.  This has already been tested in court, do a google search.

Message 6 of 70 (2,195 Views)
Master

I Agree!

It would be nice for ATT and Apple to unlock existing or even future subsidized iPhones but now we have a choice! Who knows, they may have an option down the road for those that want an unlocked iPhone?

We all forget that we got our iPhones at a significantly reduced price. For that price, we are locked to their network and their services. Products and Services are a two way street. They sell something that we want at a price we may want to buy it at. If it is too much, we can go elsewhere for something else. They are under no obligation to give it to us for nothing. We think that companies are not entitled to make money and build a business for the benefit of their investors.

If ATT sells something at a price and with conditions we don't like, we can go somewhere else. That is the great thing about consumer choice! If they do not sell enough of something, they will either change something or go out of business. For now they are selling more than enough and may not feel the need to change.

Time and the masses will tell.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 7 of 70 (2,192 Views)
Master

Here is an interesting article to read and consider before buying an unlocked iPhone.

http://allthingsd.com/20110614/you-can-now-buy-an-unlocked-iphone-4-though-you-might-want-to-think-t...

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Message 8 of 70 (2,183 Views)

As someone who rarely travels outside the continental US, I just don't see what having my iPhone unlocked does for me...  Heck I even have an old iPhone 3G that I use pretty much only for use as a remote control for iTunes that's pumped out to my back porch.

Unocking that or any of my phones doesn't really benefit me.

I can't imagine it being an overly big deal to buy a check per minute phone when going overseas and using my iPhone only at Wifi hotspots...

Seriously, what's the big deal about unlocking anyway?  I've yet to see anyone present a strong case as to WHY it needs to be done, other than you can sell/take your iPhone overseas and expect  it to work.

Message 9 of 70 (2,170 Views)
Professor

For carriers overseas that sell both locked and unlocked iphones, do they ever unlock the ones originally sold as locked?
Message 10 of 70 (2,143 Views)
Professor

youngjm wrote:

Here is an interesting article to read and consider before buying an unlocked iPhone.

http://allthingsd.com/20110614/you-can-now-buy-an-unlocked-iphone-4-though-you-might-want-to-think-t...

I read the article, but didn't see anything to think twice about.  What is there to consider?  The price should be common sense and the carrier compatibility should be, too.

Message 11 of 70 (1,095 Views)
Master

Not sure but sometimes they are governed by laws that dictate that they unlock a device after a contract has been satisfied.  That condition does not exist in the USA.

Message 12 of 70 (1,093 Views)
Contributor

Yes. Here in Brasil, they r obliged by law to unlock your phone.

Message 13 of 70 (1,076 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

swSteve wrote:

It's clear that Apple is saying YES,

and ATT is saying NO

Strange how it takes no time at all for these

gloating "first responders" to jump to

the defense of ATT's shoddy business practices.

Steve

you are right, Apple is saying yes - but you pay 650.00 for 16GB and 750.00 for 32GB - not sure to many people will want to buy that cost considering if you stay in the US, the only network that will fully support the device is ATT.

The only one's this will benefit are the foreign nationals who vist the US and want to obtain the Iphone for less then what they would have to pay in their native country, the phone is also GSM only, the cdma version is not being offered.

If you want to spend that kind of money for a "unlocked iphone" go for it, doesn;t seem possible that a subsidized version of the phone will be available anytime soon - if it does come to that you can pretty much be certain that the etf for that particular model of the iphone will be raised to recoup the lose if someone purchase the unlocked subsidized version and leaves after the first month. I can see a 450.00 ETF for a subsidized unlocked version of the iphone

The article pertains to new unsubsidized sale of the phone, it has absolutley nothing to do with current or new subsidized pricing - and I doubt it will in the foreseeable future

Message 14 of 70 (1,061 Views)

DimentoGraven wrote:

As someone who rarely travels outside the continental US, I just don't see what having my iPhone unlocked does for me... 

<snip)

Seriously, what's the big deal about unlocking anyway?  I've yet to see anyone present a strong case as to WHY it needs to be done, other than you can sell/take your iPhone overseas and expect  it to work.

For you it does nothing.  For those of us who are travelling the world it does plenty.

If AT&T continues to refuse to unlock the easy answer (now) is to buy an unlocked device from Apple and e-bay the old device.

Simple solution that ends the AT&T fanboys who whine about people who "need" and unlocked iPhone.

Message 15 of 70 (1,049 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support