Unlocked iPhone and Rate Plans

Contributor

Unlocked iPhone and Rate Plans

I am Japanese.

I am going to stay in Hawaii for a year.

If I buy unlocked iPhone in America, can I get AT&T sim card for iPhone?

And, which plans can I choose?

Thank you

Message 1 of 6 (2,928 Views)
Mentor

Re: Unlocked iPhone and Rate Plans

Only purchase the iPhone directly from Apple, if purchased from AT&T it WILL BE LOCKED.

Same rates/plans apply regardless of locked or unlocked.

Voice and data service are required.

iPhones are not authorized for use on pre-paid plans.

If the iPhone is unlocked, there is no requirement for a 2yr contract with AT&T, but depending on credit history, you may be required to place a deposit before getting service.  Deposit could be as much as $500.

Minimum voice service is $39.99/month.

Minimum data plan is $15/month for 200mb.

Message 2 of 6 (2,901 Views)
Professor

as of right now APPLE is not selling unlocked iphones. this is coming in november but there is not a set date.

you will have to keep checking with apple to see when they post the release date.and i believe the rate plans will be the same as your on a contract, but i might be wrong for this.

Message 3 of 6 (2,893 Views)

After you go to the Apple store to buy your "Factory" unlocked Iphone, you can then go to an AT&t Corp store and do a "SIM only" activation and set up your account on a month to month basis. No 2 year contract required.

Message 4 of 6 (2,876 Views)
Expert

graphite07 wrote:

as of right now APPLE is not selling unlocked iphones. this is coming in november but there is not a set date.

you will have to keep checking with apple to see when they post the release date.and i believe the rate plans will be the same as your on a contract, but i might be wrong for this.

Doenst that only apply to the Iphone 4S? I thought the older ones where already avaialble factory unlocked at full retail from Apple

Message 5 of 6 (2,855 Views)
Contributor

Thanks, everyone!

Message 6 of 6 (2,789 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.