Helpful Links

Unlocked Smartphone, can use regular data plan?

Teacher

Unlocked Smartphone, can use regular data plan?

I read a forum earlier a regular smartphone that is unlocked can use a regular data plan and not a smartphone data plan, is that true?
Message 1 of 12
Master

Re: Unlocked Smartphone, can use regular data plan?

Not true.
Message 2 of 12
Professor

StunkMan wrote:
I read a forum earlier a regular smartphone that is unlocked can use a regular data plan and not a smartphone data plan, is that true?

Actually, yes, that is true, but it is also a violation of the TOS. If you get caught, you could be facing a pretty hefty bill.
Message 3 of 12
ACE - Expert

sitnsidewayz wrote:

Actually, yes, that is true, but it is also a violation of the TOS. If you get caught, you could be facing a pretty hefty bill.

It is only a direct violation of the TOS if the phone is listed by AT&T as requiring a PDA data plan (which AT&T only does with branded devices). Data/Smartphone Connect page has the following list of phones:

Cingular: 8125 , 8525
Garmin: Nuvifone G60
HITECH: Tilt 8900
HP: hw6515 , ipaq glisten
HTC: Pure , Tilt2
LG: expo , Incite
Nokia: E62 , E71x , Surge
Palm: TREO650 , TREO750
Samsung: BlackJack , i627 , Jack

For all other devices AT&T T&C seems to suggest it's up to AT&T to determine what the correct data plan is. The online account management system will not allow you to subscribe to the incorrect data plan. So if someone where to bring an unbranded smartphone over to AT&T, make sure the phone has been detected (and may not be identified properly, but it must be detected) and then check the online management system to see if the regular data plan is allowed, there will be no violation of T&C.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 12
Professor

dmapr wrote:

sitnsidewayz wrote:

It is only a direct violation of the TOS if the phone is listed by AT&T as requiring a PDA data plan (which AT&T only does with branded devices). Data/Smartphone Connect page has the following list of phones:

Cingular: 8125 , 8525
Garmin: Nuvifone G60
HITECH: Tilt 8900
HP: hw6515 , ipaq glisten
HTC: Pure , Tilt2
LG: expo , Incite
Nokia: E62 , E71x , Surge
Palm: TREO650 , TREO750
Samsung: BlackJack , i627 , Jack

For all other devices AT&T T&C seems to suggest it's up to AT&T to determine what the correct data plan is. The online account management system will not allow you to subscribe to the incorrect data plan. So if someone where to bring an unbranded smartphone over to AT&T, make sure the phone has been detected (and may not be identified properly, but it must be detected) and then check the online management system to see if the regular data plan is allowed, there will be no violation of T&C.

He is talking about using a smartphone with the Medianet plan. Most unlocked, non AT&T branded phones are not detected by OLAM. This makes what he describeds easily done, if you already have a dumbphone with the Medianet plan. All one has to do is get an unlocked, unbranded smartphone off of Ebay and insert the sim card from the dumbphone and configure the data settings. The list you mention gets updated as AT&T quits offering the phones. My smartphone is no longer listed, because it is no longer available, but I doubt AT&T would remove the data plan from my line.
Message 5 of 12
Teacher

I see what people are saying. I have a samsung jack so I guess, if i did unlock it would go againist the rules. Do you know if the Nokia 5800 would be againist the ruleS?
Message 6 of 12
Former Employee

StunkMan wrote:
I see what people are saying. I have a samsung jack so I guess, if i did unlock it would go againist the rules. Do you know if the Nokia 5800 would be againist the ruleS?

Yes, just to name couple of reasons why, it has a full HTML browser and Wi-Fi, both of them make it a smartphone.
Message 7 of 12
ACE - Expert

StunkMan wrote:

Nokia 5800 is most likely not against the rules. The wording in the T&C is pretty clear.

Data Plans: An eligible data plan is required for certain devices, including iPhones and other designated Smartphones and PDAs. Eligible data plans cover data usage in the U.S. and do not cover international data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using an iPhone or other designated Smartphone or PDA without an eligible data plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an eligible data plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee.

Nokia 5800 is not a designated Smartphone or PDA.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 12
Contributor

Palm Pixi Plus GSM with WebOS, Touch Screen, 2 MP Camera and Wi-Fi - Unlocked Phone - US Warranty - Black will this work

Message 9 of 12
Contributor

I know this is literally 2 years later, but I'm going through this right now. I'm considering buying an unbranded (chinese) smartphone and using it with unlimited dumbphone data plan. Will this work? Or will ATT do me the courtesy of upgrading my plan? Thanks.

Message 10 of 12
Master

It will technically work but ATT will most likely upgrade you to a smart phone plan. There is what technically happens and what your bill will look like.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

peter542 wrote:

I know this is literally 2 years later, but I'm going through this right now. I'm considering buying an unbranded (chinese) smartphone and using it with unlimited dumbphone data plan. Will this work? Or will ATT do me the courtesy of upgrading my plan? Thanks.

Nobody knows for sure. If AT&T recognizes your phone as a smartphone, then yes, they'll add a plan. If not, they won't. If by "chinese smartphone" you mean some Chinese knock-off, chances of it being recognized as a smartphone are very slim. If it's an honest smartphone, then chances are higher. If you *show* your phone to them at the store, they most definitely will.

I hven't checked the language in the AT&T agreement in quite a while, but the last time I did they said that the data plan is required on "designated smartphones". So if your phone is a model that has no AT&T analogy, you won't even be breaking any rules Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support