Unlocked Nokia N86 8GB and GOPHONE sim

Contributor

Unlocked Nokia N86 8GB and GOPHONE sim

Hi everyone,

I have a Nokia N86 legally unlocked from India. I am going to Boston for 2 yrs.

It has a GSM frequency of 850/900/1800/1900. Can I use it with Gophone Unlimited plan of $50/month????

Also will I be able to use data plans.

Please help...

Message 1 of 6 (608 Views)

Re: Unlocked Nokia N86 8GB and GOPHONE sim

[ Edited ]

ankurv86 wrote:

Hi everyone,

It has a GSM frequency of 850/900/1800/1900. Can I use it with Gophone Unlimited plan of $50/month????

Please help...

1. Talk/SMS no problem
  2. EDGE 2G data support, no problem
  3. 3G data support only if you have the American Version that supports the AT&T UMTS bands (850/1900).  The N86 also offers a UMTS 900/2100 version which supports Europe and Japan. [Check your specs.]

You will need provisioning of the APN AT&T settings on your Symbian device for data to work.  AT&T may, or may not, provision the APN settings over-the-air (do not know).  But those settings are well advertised.

I have no idea if AT&T assumes the N86 to be a smartphone, and if so, you will need a separate data plan for smartphones.

You can get an AT&T SIM at eBay for a few bucks and activate your N86 at http://wireless.att.com/activations .

My suggestion is that you feed only the minimum amount to your account as a test trial, and then decide if it works for you.

I am sure others will add to this.  Good luck.

Message 2 of 6 (601 Views)
Master

ankurv86 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Please help...

Yes, you should be able to use your unlocked Nokia with the $50 Unlimited Talk, Text, and Data plan. You should be able to take advantage of the available prepaid data plans, but might need to add one separately as I think the N86 qualifies as a smartphone.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 3 of 6 (576 Views)
Master

Wild Banchi wrote:

ankurv86 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Please help...

Yes, you should be able to use your unlocked Nokia with the $50 Unlimited Talk, Text, and Data plan. You should be able to take advantage of the available prepaid data plans, but might need to add one separately as I think the N86 qualifies as a smartphone.

It's unlikely that at&t defines it as such - many use non-branded Symbian phones without encountering the data plan requirement (myself included).

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 4 of 6 (572 Views)
Master

hme83 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

ankurv86 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Please help...

It's unlikely that at&t defines it as such - many use non-branded Symbian phones without encountering the data plan requirement (myself included).

Well, if it's non-branded, then the OP should be good to go and not have to worry about choosing a data plan. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 5 of 6 (563 Views)
Contributor

Hi Ankur,

Are you able to use ur indian N86 , here in US with ATT Go phone ?

As i am looking for the same solution.

your inputs would be really helpful,

thanks in advance

-Sourabh 

Message 6 of 6 (468 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.