Helpful Links

Unlocked Nokia N86 8GB and GOPHONE sim

Contributor

Unlocked Nokia N86 8GB and GOPHONE sim

Hi everyone,

I have a Nokia N86 legally unlocked from India. I am going to Boston for 2 yrs.

It has a GSM frequency of 850/900/1800/1900. Can I use it with Gophone Unlimited plan of $50/month????

Also will I be able to use data plans.

Please help...

Message 1 of 6

Re: Unlocked Nokia N86 8GB and GOPHONE sim

ankurv86 wrote:

Hi everyone,

It has a GSM frequency of 850/900/1800/1900. Can I use it with Gophone Unlimited plan of $50/month????

Please help...

1. Talk/SMS no problem
  2. EDGE 2G data support, no problem
  3. 3G data support only if you have the American Version that supports the AT&T UMTS bands (850/1900).  The N86 also offers a UMTS 900/2100 version which supports Europe and Japan. [Check your specs.]

You will need provisioning of the APN AT&T settings on your Symbian device for data to work.  AT&T may, or may not, provision the APN settings over-the-air (do not know).  But those settings are well advertised.

I have no idea if AT&T assumes the N86 to be a smartphone, and if so, you will need a separate data plan for smartphones.

You can get an AT&T SIM at eBay for a few bucks and activate your N86 at http://wireless.att.com/activations .

My suggestion is that you feed only the minimum amount to your account as a test trial, and then decide if it works for you.

I am sure others will add to this.  Good luck.

Message 2 of 6
Master

ankurv86 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Please help...

Yes, you should be able to use your unlocked Nokia with the $50 Unlimited Talk, Text, and Data plan. You should be able to take advantage of the available prepaid data plans, but might need to add one separately as I think the N86 qualifies as a smartphone.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 3 of 6
Master

Wild Banchi wrote:

ankurv86 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Please help...

Yes, you should be able to use your unlocked Nokia with the $50 Unlimited Talk, Text, and Data plan. You should be able to take advantage of the available prepaid data plans, but might need to add one separately as I think the N86 qualifies as a smartphone.

It's unlikely that at&t defines it as such - many use non-branded Symbian phones without encountering the data plan requirement (myself included).

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 4 of 6
Master

hme83 wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

ankurv86 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Please help...

It's unlikely that at&t defines it as such - many use non-branded Symbian phones without encountering the data plan requirement (myself included).

Well, if it's non-branded, then the OP should be good to go and not have to worry about choosing a data plan. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
Contributor

Hi Ankur,

Are you able to use ur indian N86 , here in US with ATT Go phone ?

As i am looking for the same solution.

your inputs would be really helpful,

thanks in advance

-Sourabh 

Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support