Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 16, 2011
8:18:53 PM
View profile
Unlocked HTC HD7

I Just brought the HTC HD7 unlocked i know it will work on the AT&t network, But only Edge Im Not Intrested In Using My Phone For The Internet I would Use the wifi For that but my consern is will it increase my bill any by using data? i wont be using the internet at all is there away to cut it off? and just use txt and call and when i want to use the features use it for wifi only.

I Just brought the HTC HD7 unlocked i know it will work on the AT&t network, But only Edge Im Not Intrested In Using My Phone For The Internet I would Use the wifi For that but my consern is will it increase my bill any by using data? i wont be using the internet at all is there away to cut it off? and just use txt and call and when i want to use the features use it for wifi only.

Unlocked HTC HD7

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2011 12:11:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

Sure you can - go into Settings then choose Cellular

Turn off the "Data Connection" option.

Sure you can - go into Settings then choose Cellular

Turn off the "Data Connection" option.

Re: Unlocked HTC HD7

2 of 15 (5,691 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2011 4:39:10 PM
(0)
Professor

the_crook318 wrote:

Just be aware that per AT&T's TOS you are required to have a data plan with all smartphones.

The HD7 is a smartphone.

You may be able to stay under the radar for a period, but eventually, you will be noticed and AT&T can add the data plan without even asking or notifying you.

the_crook318 wrote:

Just be aware that per AT&T's TOS you are required to have a data plan with all smartphones.

The HD7 is a smartphone.

You may be able to stay under the radar for a period, but eventually, you will be noticed and AT&T can add the data plan without even asking or notifying you.

3 of 15 (5,677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 12, 2011 8:56:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

Don't be ridiculous. You will be fine to have that phone without a data plan, as AT&T does not have the right to incur those data charges if you do not use them. If they do preposterously add the data plan on your account, just call them and tell them you only had the HD7 temporarily, and that you switched back. You can even use a backup phone and slip your sim card in it, but it will never come to that. I've been using the HD2 forever, no data plan, only wifi, and everything's been fine, even with installing Windows phone 7 OS onto it for a long time...

Don't be ridiculous. You will be fine to have that phone without a data plan, as AT&T does not have the right to incur those data charges if you do not use them. If they do preposterously add the data plan on your account, just call them and tell them you only had the HD7 temporarily, and that you switched back. You can even use a backup phone and slip your sim card in it, but it will never come to that. I've been using the HD2 forever, no data plan, only wifi, and everything's been fine, even with installing Windows phone 7 OS onto it for a long time...

4 of 15 (5,239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2011 5:28:17 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Feb 13, 2011 at 5:30:07 AM

jkxklutz wrote:

you are incorrect - the terms of service for your cellular service state that ATT has the legal right to add any features that are required to bring the feature set in line with what is mandated - not this is the cellular service agreement level - NOT the contract level, so it applies to unlocked phone. You can call, but the data plan will stay until you switch to a different device and cal ATT to let them know the new IMEI number, if you then switch back and TT discovers it the data plan will be put back on.

You may get away with it for awhile, but there is always the chance that they will find out and add the plan. - curious how did you "install" Windows 7 Mobile on the device, since the HD7 is labeled as a windows 7 mobile device already which means it already had it installed?

jkxklutz wrote:

you are incorrect - the terms of service for your cellular service state that ATT has the legal right to add any features that are required to bring the feature set in line with what is mandated - not this is the cellular service agreement level - NOT the contract level, so it applies to unlocked phone. You can call, but the data plan will stay until you switch to a different device and cal ATT to let them know the new IMEI number, if you then switch back and TT discovers it the data plan will be put back on.

You may get away with it for awhile, but there is always the chance that they will find out and add the plan. - curious how did you "install" Windows 7 Mobile on the device, since the HD7 is labeled as a windows 7 mobile device already which means it already had it installed?

[ Edited ]
5 of 15 (5,214 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 14, 2011 6:15:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

jkxklutz wrote:

Don't be ridiculous. You will be fine to have that phone without a data plan, as AT&T does not have the right to incur those data charges if you do not use them.

As "ridiculous" as you may think it is, its right in AT&T's terms and conditions.  They have every right to add a data plan if you are using a smartphone on their network, regardless of where you bought it.  You might get away with it for a while, since AT&T does not have IMEI numbers for non-AT&T branded phones.  But that's just a technical weakness of their system.  The terms you agree to by using their network are quite clear on what AT&T is entitled to do in regards to adding a data plan to your account.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/index.jsp?q_termsKey=wirelessCustomerAgreement&...

jkxklutz wrote:

Don't be ridiculous. You will be fine to have that phone without a data plan, as AT&T does not have the right to incur those data charges if you do not use them.

As "ridiculous" as you may think it is, its right in AT&T's terms and conditions.  They have every right to add a data plan if you are using a smartphone on their network, regardless of where you bought it.  You might get away with it for a while, since AT&T does not have IMEI numbers for non-AT&T branded phones.  But that's just a technical weakness of their system.  The terms you agree to by using their network are quite clear on what AT&T is entitled to do in regards to adding a data plan to your account.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/index.jsp?q_termsKey=wirelessCustomerAgreement&q_termsName=Wireless+Customer+Agreement&subSection=whatAreVoiceDataPlanReq&q_subTitle=What%20Are%20The%20Voice%20And%20Data%20Plan%20Requirements%3F

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 15 (5,160 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 28, 2011 11:05:23 PM
(0)
Contributor

wingrider01 wrote:

jkxklutz wrote:

So weird that there are tons of people out there on forums who have no data plan, and have never been charged for it. I'd be curious to see actual statistics, and like I said, simple enough to give them a backup imei number. Anyone know how exactly they are able to know you have a smartphone, if your data connection is disabled? The only reasonable way I can see this is if some people use the data rate by the meg.

Also, how did I install windows 7 mobile on my HD2?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=944995

wingrider01 wrote:

jkxklutz wrote:

So weird that there are tons of people out there on forums who have no data plan, and have never been charged for it. I'd be curious to see actual statistics, and like I said, simple enough to give them a backup imei number. Anyone know how exactly they are able to know you have a smartphone, if your data connection is disabled? The only reasonable way I can see this is if some people use the data rate by the meg.

7 of 15 (4,670 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2011 12:19:35 PM
(0)
Expert

jkxklutz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

jkxklutz wrote:

AT&T may have a list of devices that are used on the network, which may include some of T-Mo's.  However, you are correct in that if the data is never used on the AT&T network, it doesn't register on the data side.  It will register on the voice side but I would presume the automatic adding of a data plan for these devices is low hanging fruit for AT&T.

Good job on installing WP7 nand.  I still prefer WM6.5 (custom ROM of course) along with an Android port running off the SD card.  I'm not too fond of WP7...at least not now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

jkxklutz wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

jkxklutz wrote:

AT&T may have a list of devices that are used on the network, which may include some of T-Mo's.  However, you are correct in that if the data is never used on the AT&T network, it doesn't register on the data side.  It will register on the voice side but I would presume the automatic adding of a data plan for these devices is low hanging fruit for AT&T.

Good job on installing WP7 nand.  I still prefer WM6.5 (custom ROM of course) along with an Android port running off the SD card.  I'm not too fond of WP7...at least not now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

8 of 15 (4,620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2011 8:56:46 PM
(0)
Scholar

It's a deviation from the poster's question, but I can't help but wonder what the justification would be for ATT to force a data plan on a device that they didn't sell. It's understood that you're forced into a data plan when you buy a smartphone from them so that they can recoup the cost of subsidzing the device.

It's a deviation from the poster's question, but I can't help but wonder what the justification would be for ATT to force a data plan on a device that they didn't sell. It's understood that you're forced into a data plan when you buy a smartphone from them so that they can recoup the cost of subsidzing the device.

9 of 15 (4,591 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 2, 2011 6:14:55 AM
(0)
Scholar

I could be wrong, but when you sign on for service from the company, you agree to their terms. And in such terms, it does not state brands or models of any device you may connect to the network, only that if such a device fits a certain catagory, you will have any such further service added on, should it meet the requirements. Now even if this means you add a device that does not support the wireless bands, and it still meets these requirements, they will add on the plan(s). It is all simple to understand, and simple to say NO and walk away. Once you sign the papers, you, and only you, yourself, have agreed to their terms and conditions. Now, I could be completely wrong on this, but it is how I understand it.

I could be wrong, but when you sign on for service from the company, you agree to their terms. And in such terms, it does not state brands or models of any device you may connect to the network, only that if such a device fits a certain catagory, you will have any such further service added on, should it meet the requirements. Now even if this means you add a device that does not support the wireless bands, and it still meets these requirements, they will add on the plan(s). It is all simple to understand, and simple to say NO and walk away. Once you sign the papers, you, and only you, yourself, have agreed to their terms and conditions. Now, I could be completely wrong on this, but it is how I understand it.

10 of 15 (4,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2011 4:18:12 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hello,

I have purchased a HTC HD7 Unlocked off of eBay. I purchased it for $500.00 which I saved up for thinking that everything with this phone would work perfectly though AT&T since it is just a phone and it doesn't really matter if your merchandise is delt through another brand. ( Silly Me ).

I have come to realize that the only thing I am able to use with this phone via AT&T is texting and making phone calls. The WiFi is nice to have but I am not home often after I leave work during the day. I have WiFi at work, but I cant use my phone there anyways, I am to busy with work! ha ha

I have called AT&T today April 2, 2011 and they have told me that I can not use the Data Plan with this phone since it is not a Phone that is used with AT&T. The HTC HD7 is a T-Mobile phone ( how taboo was it to put that into a forum right now ). I am actually thinking about leaving AT&T to use my HTC HD7 through T-Mobile so I can use all the setting for my phone. I payed $500.00 dollars for it. It is a great phone and Windows 7 on my phone is awesome. So with this whole debate about AT&T making you have a Data Plan for this phone it is irrelivent because you cant use the Data Plan anyways. Alright have a good one.

Hello,

I have purchased a HTC HD7 Unlocked off of eBay. I purchased it for $500.00 which I saved up for thinking that everything with this phone would work perfectly though AT&T since it is just a phone and it doesn't really matter if your merchandise is delt through another brand. ( Silly Me ).

I have come to realize that the only thing I am able to use with this phone via AT&T is texting and making phone calls. The WiFi is nice to have but I am not home often after I leave work during the day. I have WiFi at work, but I cant use my phone there anyways, I am to busy with work! ha ha

I have called AT&T today April 2, 2011 and they have told me that I can not use the Data Plan with this phone since it is not a Phone that is used with AT&T. The HTC HD7 is a T-Mobile phone ( how taboo was it to put that into a forum right now ). I am actually thinking about leaving AT&T to use my HTC HD7 through T-Mobile so I can use all the setting for my phone. I payed $500.00 dollars for it. It is a great phone and Windows 7 on my phone is awesome. So with this whole debate about AT&T making you have a Data Plan for this phone it is irrelivent because you cant use the Data Plan anyways. Alright have a good one.

11 of 15 (4,231 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2011 7:37:39 PM
(0)
Professor

Bbonefon wrote:

I have come to realize that the only thing I am able to use with this phone via AT&T is texting and making phone calls.

So with this whole debate about AT&T making you have a Data Plan for this phone it is irrelivent because you cant use the Data Plan anyways.

Neither of those statements are accurate.

You can use the data plan with your HD7, the only issue is that you cannot get access to the 3G network because it does not have the appropriate bands.  The device works perfectly fine (once the appropriate settings are input) on the EDGE network.

Bbonefon wrote:

I have come to realize that the only thing I am able to use with this phone via AT&T is texting and making phone calls.

So with this whole debate about AT&T making you have a Data Plan for this phone it is irrelivent because you cant use the Data Plan anyways.

You can use the data plan with your HD7, the only issue is that you cannot get access to the 3G network because it does not have the appropriate bands.  The device works perfectly fine (once the appropriate settings are input) on the EDGE network.

12 of 15 (4,222 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2011 7:29:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Apr 4, 2011 at 7:29:44 AM

satchev wrote:

Bbonefon wrote:

Yep, satchev is correct, any compatible hardware (in terems of GSM and UMTS frequencies) can be used with AT&T's data network.  Many of people, including myself, use a non-ATT subsidized smartphone with a data plan.  Either the ATT rep was telling Bbonefon the wrong info, or there was a misunderstanding.  Setup a data plan, and you will be good to go (but with the HD7 only on EDGE), but you might have to manually enter the APN info for AT&T's data network also.  Just Google for how to do that, and what the settings are.

satchev wrote:

Bbonefon wrote:

Yep, satchev is correct, any compatible hardware (in terems of GSM and UMTS frequencies) can be used with AT&T's data network.  Many of people, including myself, use a non-ATT subsidized smartphone with a data plan.  Either the ATT rep was telling Bbonefon the wrong info, or there was a misunderstanding.  Setup a data plan, and you will be good to go (but with the HD7 only on EDGE), but you might have to manually enter the APN info for AT&T's data network also.  Just Google for how to do that, and what the settings are.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
13 of 15 (4,197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 27, 2011 7:57:36 AM
(0)
Contributor

I bought HTC HD7 and I was able to unlock it through unlocking provider in Internet. So far everything seems working (including wifi access). But I haven't  been able to connect Internet through ATT data plan, also unable to connect to my computer with USB cable (it charges, but can't see the phone in my computer). My computer has Windows 7 OS. I call their tech support of ATT. They told me They don't know how to set up Internet access through their network or anything else since they don't sell this phone. Can anyone help mehow to to  set it up so that I can resolve these two issues?

I bought HTC HD7 and I was able to unlock it through unlocking provider in Internet. So far everything seems working (including wifi access). But I haven't  been able to connect Internet through ATT data plan, also unable to connect to my computer with USB cable (it charges, but can't see the phone in my computer). My computer has Windows 7 OS. I call their tech support of ATT. They told me They don't know how to set up Internet access through their network or anything else since they don't sell this phone. Can anyone help mehow to to  set it up so that I can resolve these two issues?

14 of 15 (4,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2011 7:11:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dogbyte wrote:

To connect an unlocked phone to a carrier's data network, you usually have to manually enter the network settings (APN settings) into the phone.  I'm an Android person, so just Google around to figure out how to do this on a Windows Phone 7 handset (where in the phone settings to find the APN).  The APN settings for AT&T are given on the following link.  These are for Android phones, but I believe WP7 settings are the same:

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=309124&view=findpost&p=1281824

dogbyte wrote:

To connect an unlocked phone to a carrier's data network, you usually have to manually enter the network settings (APN settings) into the phone.  I'm an Android person, so just Google around to figure out how to do this on a Windows Phone 7 handset (where in the phone settings to find the APN).  The APN settings for AT&T are given on the following link.  These are for Android phones, but I believe WP7 settings are the same:

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=309124&view=findpost&p=1281824

15 of 15 (3,966 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments