Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 18, 2009
3:04:24 AM
Unlock iPhone

Hello,

I have recently moved to Sweden to live with my wife. But when living in the US I had an iPhone 3G that I bought from AT&T. The problem is that I cant use my iPhone in Sweden since its locked to Cingular.

Is there any way to unlock it? I shouldnt have to buy a new iPhone just because I have moved to a different country, or do I?

Regards

Bud

Hello,

I have recently moved to Sweden to live with my wife. But when living in the US I had an iPhone 3G that I bought from AT&T. The problem is that I cant use my iPhone in Sweden since its locked to Cingular.

Is there any way to unlock it? I shouldnt have to buy a new iPhone just because I have moved to a different country, or do I?

Regards

Bud

Unlock iPhone

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2009 3:12:00 AM
(0)
Professor
Oh wow...this is a very tricky one, since out-of-states carriers will unlock their handsets once conditions are met, or will sell flat out unlocked handsets. I know that AT&T doesn't unlock your iPhone for any kind of offer at the moment, in the US.

I think the best thing to do would be to call the AT&T CS and ask to speak to upper management, and explain this to them. Or an e-mail might be better, since on the phone you can get passed around and hung up on...

If you DO get it unlocked, would you PLEASE post back here and let us know? As far as what's been publicized, no AT&T phone has ever been officially unlocked. (please note that I said AT&T phone, the one's that have their UDID submitted to Apple before having an AT&T SIM put in them do NOT count).
Oh wow...this is a very tricky one, since out-of-states carriers will unlock their handsets once conditions are met, or will sell flat out unlocked handsets. I know that AT&T doesn't unlock your iPhone for any kind of offer at the moment, in the US.

I think the best thing to do would be to call the AT&T CS and ask to speak to upper management, and explain this to them. Or an e-mail might be better, since on the phone you can get passed around and hung up on...

If you DO get it unlocked, would you PLEASE post back here and let us know? As far as what's been publicized, no AT&T phone has ever been officially unlocked. (please note that I said AT&T phone, the one's that have their UDID submitted to Apple before having an AT&T SIM put in them do NOT count).

Re: Unlock iPhone

2 of 11 (53,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2009 6:18:27 AM
(0)
Master

bmcfarland wrote:

Hello,

Regards

Bud

As stated, all reports are the ATT and Apple will not unlock an iPhone that is for the ATT network.  For the purposes of this forum, sell your iPhone on eBay and use the proceeds to buy a new iPhone from the sweedish cell carrier. 

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

bmcfarland wrote:

Hello,

Regards

Bud

As stated, all reports are the ATT and Apple will not unlock an iPhone that is for the ATT network.  For the purposes of this forum, sell your iPhone on eBay and use the proceeds to buy a new iPhone from the sweedish cell carrier. 

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

3 of 11 (53,228 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2009 10:01:48 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the answers!

But I will not accept that AT&T says no to unlocking my iPhone. I will not move back to the US in the near future, and when/if I do, my iPhone 3G will be a brick in the bookshelf. So there is no reason for them to turn my request down, they aren't loosing any money by doing so.

Selling it on ebay is not really an option for two reasons, 1. ebay is not available in sweden and 2. I would have to ship it back to the US and I would not even get half of the money needed to buy a new iPhone in Sweden.

Do any of you guys have an email address to someone in AT&T that I could turn to? I have tried to get an online chat with AT&T but the representatives always seems to be offline.

Thanks again for the answers, I don't mean to be rude to anyone, but Im getting frustrated. ;-) 

Thanks for the answers!

But I will not accept that AT&T says no to unlocking my iPhone. I will not move back to the US in the near future, and when/if I do, my iPhone 3G will be a brick in the bookshelf. So there is no reason for them to turn my request down, they aren't loosing any money by doing so.

Selling it on ebay is not really an option for two reasons, 1. ebay is not available in sweden and 2. I would have to ship it back to the US and I would not even get half of the money needed to buy a new iPhone in Sweden.

Do any of you guys have an email address to someone in AT&T that I could turn to? I have tried to get an online chat with AT&T but the representatives always seems to be offline.

Thanks again for the answers, I don't mean to be rude to anyone, but Im getting frustrated. ;-) 

4 of 11 (53,180 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2009 10:27:19 AM
(0)
Professor

Whether you accept the answer or not really isn't relevant.

AT&T and Apple have both stated that under no circumstances will they unlock any iPhone sold in the US for use on AT&T's network.

Sorry to break it to you, but AT&T does not care that you may move back to the US at some point.

Your options are:

1. Keep your iPhone and use it as an iTouch.
  2. Sell it online to a customer in the US
  3. Find third party methods for unlocking the device
  4. put it on a shelf and let it collect dust.
Reps are only online available for chat during US business hours, 8AM to 9PM EST I believe.

Whether you accept the answer or not really isn't relevant.

AT&T and Apple have both stated that under no circumstances will they unlock any iPhone sold in the US for use on AT&T's network.

Sorry to break it to you, but AT&T does not care that you may move back to the US at some point.

Your options are:

1. Keep your iPhone and use it as an iTouch.
  2. Sell it online to a customer in the US
  3. Find third party methods for unlocking the device
  4. put it on a shelf and let it collect dust.
Reps are only online available for chat during US business hours, 8AM to 9PM EST I believe.

5 of 11 (53,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2009 10:33:32 AM
(0)
Master

bmcfarland wrote:

It does not matter what you want to accept.  The answer is ATT will not unlock the iPhone for any reason.  There is no one at ATT we can direct you to.  We are not being cruel we are just stating the facts.

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&loca...

Question:
What is the unlock code for my iPhone?

How do I unlock my iPhone? 

What is the subsidy unlock code for my iPhone?

What is the subsidy password for my iPhone?

Answer:
iPhone cannot be unlocked, even if you are out of contract. If you are traveling internationally, iPhone is a quad-band phone and will work in many countries across the globe. Stay connected while traveling to over 190 countries, plus get discounted rates in over 80 of those countries when you sign up for AT&T World Traveler

bmcfarland wrote:

It does not matter what you want to accept.  The answer is ATT will not unlock the iPhone for any reason.  There is no one at ATT we can direct you to.  We are not being cruel we are just stating the facts.

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&ft=searchTab&ps=solutionPanels&locale=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=61097&isSrch=Yes

Question:
What is the unlock code for my iPhone?

How do I unlock my iPhone? 

What is the subsidy unlock code for my iPhone?

What is the subsidy password for my iPhone?

Answer:
iPhone cannot be unlocked, even if you are out of contract. If you are traveling internationally, iPhone is a quad-band phone and will work in many countries across the globe. Stay connected while traveling to over 190 countries, plus get discounted rates in over 80 of those countries when you sign up for AT&T World Traveler

6 of 11 (53,158 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 17, 2010 8:23:22 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by mod.moose on Jun 20, 2010 at 11:43:30 AM

Hi

At&t does not have any email for customers to notify them of a problem

I am haven almost the same problem I bought an IPHONE on eBay

now I want the phone unlocked I talked to iphone and at&t they both say they do not have an unlock code for my phone witch we both know is a lie

finally someone said tonight that this phone is under contract between iphone and at&t and they will not give me a unlock code for no reason

so if I buy a phone off of eBay and pay for it with money I earned the phone is stilled owned buy iphone and at&t  and I have to what they dictate to me I have to use at&t service and I am not going to get an unlock code form iphone or at&t thought we had the 2nd world war because we didn't believe in being dictated to

guess we have a long ways to go still

mldnoo, You have received information in your private message box --> . It Should Be Gold. Please read.

Hi

now I want the phone unlocked I talked to iphone and at&t they both say they do not have an unlock code for my phone witch we both know is a lie

finally someone said tonight that this phone is under contract between iphone and at&t and they will not give me a unlock code for no reason

so if I buy a phone off of eBay and pay for it with money I earned the phone is stilled owned buy iphone and at&t  and I have to what they dictate to me I have to use at&t service and I am not going to get an unlock code form iphone or at&t thought we had the 2nd world war because we didn't believe in being dictated to

guess we have a long ways to go still

mldnoo, You have received information in your private message box --> . It Should Be Gold. Please read.

[ Edited ]
7 of 11 (50,847 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 12:05:19 AM
(0)
Scholar

mldnoo wrote:

Hi

It is not a lie. There are no unlock codes for the iPhone. All of it is done through software like iTunes in stores in Europe. You should have done your homework better is all I can say. It makes sense anyway in the US. Who are you going to go to? T-Mobile? You'd be stuck on EDGE.

mldnoo wrote:

Hi

It is not a lie. There are no unlock codes for the iPhone. All of it is done through software like iTunes in stores in Europe. You should have done your homework better is all I can say. It makes sense anyway in the US. Who are you going to go to? T-Mobile? You'd be stuck on EDGE.

8 of 11 (50,777 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 2:48:44 AM
(0)
Professor

I don't think there are a lot of people here who are apologizing for AT&T or are happy with the unlocking situation, but unfortunately, that's how it is.  AT&T or Apple won't unlock US iPhones, period.  People have complained on the forums for years about how unfair it is, how they are going to email or call AT&T, even go to court, but in the end the result is the same:  no iPhone unlock.  Sorry, but people are just telling you how it is.

I don't think there are a lot of people here who are apologizing for AT&T or are happy with the unlocking situation, but unfortunately, that's how it is.  AT&T or Apple won't unlock US iPhones, period.  People have complained on the forums for years about how unfair it is, how they are going to email or call AT&T, even go to court, but in the end the result is the same:  no iPhone unlock.  Sorry, but people are just telling you how it is.

9 of 11 (50,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2011 1:24:14 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by ShaunMN on Jul 28, 2011 at 1:36:55 PM

I have actually the same problem: I am from Germany, bought the phone in the US and have it now for more than 2 years, that means I fullfilled my side of the contract by paying my monthly fees.

In my opinion, the phone is now my property and I should be allowed to do whatever I like to. That's basically the way the European companies see it. Is everything else not a violation of the US constitution?

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

I have actually the same problem: I am from Germany, bought the phone in the US and have it now for more than 2 years, that means I fullfilled my side of the contract by paying my monthly fees.

In my opinion, the phone is now my property and I should be allowed to do whatever I like to. That's basically the way the European companies see it. Is everything else not a violation of the US constitution?

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

[ Edited ]
10 of 11 (43,402 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2011 1:38:33 PM
(0)
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multipleposts in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

11 of 11 (26,250 Views)