Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?

AML
Teacher

Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?

Verizon and Sprint will unlock phone so their customers can use local sim cards during international travel. Will AT&T match this?

Message 1 of 41
Professor

Re: Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?

A GSM-unlocked Sperizon iPhone

 

I like what you did, there!

 

@Facci (if you're reading this), this doesn't qualify for a handsmack!

Message 16 of 41
Guru

Re: Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?


21stNow wrote:

A GSM-unlocked Sperizon iPhone

 

I like what you did, there!

 

@Facci (if you're reading this), this doesn't qualify for a handsmack!

Consider this your one and only warning!  LOL
Message 17 of 41

Re: Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?


BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

{please keep it courteous}, but there is no carrier in the US that will COMPLETELY unlock an iPhone. The CDMA carriers will unlock the GSM radio in their iPhones, but those can only be used with international GSM carriers. A GSM-unlocked Sperizon iPhone won't work on AT&T, T-Mobile, or any of the smaller US GSM carriers. Currently, AT&T is the only national GSM carrier for the iPhone, and they won't unlock it because there's no way to do so in the manner that Sprint and Verizon does. What carriers outside the US do is irrelevant. So no, there's no way to unlock an iPhone in the manner the OP is seeking.

 


Splitting hairs again?  The discussion is about GSM not CDMA.
AT&T has chosen to NOT unlock an iPhone, under any circumstances.
It's easy enough to do "if" AT&T wanted to do it.
Many international carriers will unlock their iPhone, Orange charges a small administrative fee.
AT&T could easily do the same thing, if they weren't so consumer hostile.
Message 18 of 41
Guru

Re: Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?


wireless-user wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

{please keep it courteous}, but there is no carrier in the US that will COMPLETELY unlock an iPhone. The CDMA carriers will unlock the GSM radio in their iPhones, but those can only be used with international GSM carriers. A GSM-unlocked Sperizon iPhone won't work on AT&T, T-Mobile, or any of the smaller US GSM carriers. Currently, AT&T is the only national GSM carrier for the iPhone, and they won't unlock it because there's no way to do so in the manner that Sprint and Verizon does. What carriers outside the US do is irrelevant. So no, there's no way to unlock an iPhone in the manner the OP is seeking.

 


Splitting hairs again?  The discussion is about GSM not CDMA.
AT&T has chosen to NOT unlock an iPhone, under any circumstances.
It's easy enough to do "if" AT&T wanted to do it.
Many international carriers will unlock their iPhone, Orange charges a small administrative fee.
AT&T could easily do the same thing, if they weren't so consumer hostile.


Well I'd be willing to bet that some of the AT&T "smart" marks in this forum may beg to differ--LOL!!! Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 41

Re: Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?

No, you are the one that's splitting hairs. There's no way to unlock any American-sold iPhone so that it can be used on any other American carrier. Period. End of story. Sperizon iPhones can be unlocked for international GSM carriers, but they won't work on domestic GSM carriers. AT&T iPhones can't be unlocked at all, because AT&T doesn't allow it.

 

Should AT&T unlock iPhones? Sure. And cable providers should lower their prices and offer more a la carte pricing (really, I don't need 3 ESPN stations, but I'd love IFC & BBCA), domestic airlines should stop nickle & diming us for checked bags and "premium economy" seating, and cattle farmers should stop feeding their cows grain and pumping them full of antibiotics. Is any of that likely to happen? I'm not holding my breath. That's why I don't have cable, I fly as light as possible, and I try to buy grass-fed beef when possible. If I was an unlocked iPhone, I'll buy one, not tilt at the windmills of a deregulated American consumer giant that's not listening to me.

 


wireless-user wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

{please keep it courteous}, but there is no carrier in the US that will COMPLETELY unlock an iPhone. The CDMA carriers will unlock the GSM radio in their iPhones, but those can only be used with international GSM carriers. A GSM-unlocked Sperizon iPhone won't work on AT&T, T-Mobile, or any of the smaller US GSM carriers. Currently, AT&T is the only national GSM carrier for the iPhone, and they won't unlock it because there's no way to do so in the manner that Sprint and Verizon does. What carriers outside the US do is irrelevant. So no, there's no way to unlock an iPhone in the manner the OP is seeking.

 


Splitting hairs again?  The discussion is about GSM not CDMA.
AT&T has chosen to NOT unlock an iPhone, under any circumstances.
It's easy enough to do "if" AT&T wanted to do it.
Many international carriers will unlock their iPhone, Orange charges a small administrative fee.
AT&T could easily do the same thing, if they weren't so consumer hostile.



Message 20 of 41
Expert

Re: Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?


wireless-user wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

{please keep it courteous}, but there is no carrier in the US that will COMPLETELY unlock an iPhone. The CDMA carriers will unlock the GSM radio in their iPhones, but those can only be used with international GSM carriers. A GSM-unlocked Sperizon iPhone won't work on AT&T, T-Mobile, or any of the smaller US GSM carriers. Currently, AT&T is the only national GSM carrier for the iPhone, and they won't unlock it because there's no way to do so in the manner that Sprint and Verizon does. What carriers outside the US do is irrelevant. So no, there's no way to unlock an iPhone in the manner the OP is seeking.

 


Splitting hairs again?  The discussion is about GSM not CDMA.
AT&T has chosen to NOT unlock an iPhone, under any circumstances.
It's easy enough to do "if" AT&T wanted to do it.
Many international carriers will unlock their iPhone, Orange charges a small administrative fee.
AT&T could easily do the same thing, if they weren't so consumer hostile.


it has nothing to do with GSM vs CDMA, the point was brought up that Sperizon unlocked their phone on the GSM sideonly under specific circumstances and not for domestic use.

 

You last comment is opinion only, 103 million cellular customers, number two in the country seem to disprove your opinion. A lot of things in life are "easy to do if you wanted to", doesn;t mean that everything should be that way, called life. They have their policy, if you don't like it find someplace that has a policy that you do like

Message 21 of 41

Re: Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?


wingrider01 wrote:

You last comment is opinion only, 103 million cellular customers, number two in the country seem to disprove your opinion. A lot of things in life are "easy to do if you wanted to", doesn;t mean that everything should be that way, called life. They have their policy, if you don't like it find someplace that has a policy that you do like



Getting a bit testy are we?

 

We're all entitled to an opinion regardless if it fits into your box or not.

 

As I said once before, as soon as I leave my current employer, the AT&T account will be cancelled.  Until then my opinion is AT&T is customer hostile.. 

 

It's interesting that a large, global company I know, is tossing out at&t and shifting their employees to Verizon.

 

Message 22 of 41
Expert

Re: Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?


wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

You last comment is opinion only, 103 million cellular customers, number two in the country seem to disprove your opinion. A lot of things in life are "easy to do if you wanted to", doesn;t mean that everything should be that way, called life. They have their policy, if you don't like it find someplace that has a policy that you do like



Getting a bit testy are we?

 

We're all entitled to an opinion regardless if it fits into your box or not.

 

As I said once before, as soon as I leave my current employer, the AT&T account will be cancelled.  Until then my opinion is AT&T is customer hostile.. 

 

It's interesting that a large, global company I know, is tossing out at&t and shifting their employees to Verizon.

 


testy? not in the least, amused yes

 

can never understand why a person stays with a company that they are not happy with when they have an easy out.

 

As far as a "large global company" leaving a carrier, happens all the time,  large coprorate accounts switch carriers all the time, especially when the contract come up for renegotiation for rates and perks, nothing out of the ordinary. It happens to the other teop 3 carriers all the time.

 

If the acount is large enough, it isn ot unusual for the carrier to offer to pay all the etf for their current carrier in addition to giving them better rates. Do know one thing their heads down road warriors of the company will be really displeased by the simple fact that one verizon one cannot have a conversation and access data at the same time. Makes for having conference for business collberation of a new deal impossible

Message 23 of 41

Re: Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?


wingrider01 wrote:
 Do know one thing their heads down road warriors of the company will be really displeased by the simple fact that one verizon one cannot have a conversation and access data at the same time. Makes for having conference for business collberation of a new deal impossible


You've been watching too many at&t commercials.  Surfing and talking isn't a requirement for me, or for that matter I've never seen anyone need it or demand that function. In the example you cite my laptop serves the purpose much better.

 

While I am a high tech nerd, the phone (to me) is a phone first and everything else is a much lower priority.

 

I hope to keep you amused for a few months longer.  Smiley Happy

 

Cheers,

Message 24 of 41
Expert

Re: Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?


wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:
 Do know one thing their heads down road warriors of the company will be really displeased by the simple fact that one verizon one cannot have a conversation and access data at the same time. Makes for having conference for business collberation of a new deal impossible


You've been watching too many at&t commercials.  Surfing and talking isn't a requirement for me, or for that matter I've never seen anyone need it or demand that function. In the example you cite my laptop serves the purpose much better.

 

While I am a high tech nerd, the phone (to me) is a phone first and everything else is a much lower priority.

 

I hope to keep you amused for a few months longer.  Smiley Happy

 

Cheers,


have no use of "surfing and talking", not sure why you assumed that was what was meant, it was not, I am talkinga bout having a presentation or a contract up and being able to make required changes or norations on the presentation while you are discussing the issues with people that are in widley dispersed locations in the world.

 

 run to many conferences on a cell phone so it is from personal expierence, it maybe a "personal toy" to you but to numerous people it is a pure business tool, so it has much higher priorty to people that use the service as a business tool. In areas where a large percentage of the conferences that are held in areas that have no access to wifi, so unless the laptop has cellular service it is useless, and if it does it is a waste of money to be required to utilize two different device's data plans where as one will work on the better service.

 

I utilize technolgy to the upmost and I am very conversent in it's design, coding, abilities, services and especially it's shortcomings, but first and foremost I am a business owner so if the technology is lacking, such as when no data and voice concurrently available it is a issue, can;t even tether the laptop and hold a conversation at the same time.

 

Can count on one hand the number of commercials that I have watched, that is what a DVR service is, cannot remember the last time I actually watched tv in real time, 30 second skip over commercials is a great invention, can watch a show in the actual time it was meant to be watched in with out being bombarded by the low level quality of ads that are being broadcast

 

thanks for the reassurance that you will keep us amused for a few months longer

 

 


 

Message 25 of 41
Guru

Re: Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?


BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Should AT&T unlock iPhones? Sure. And cable providers should lower their prices and offer more a la carte pricing (really, I don't need 3 ESPN stations, but I'd love IFC & BBCA), domestic airlines should stop nickle & diming us for checked bags and "premium economy" seating, and cattle farmers should stop feeding their cows grain and pumping them full of antibiotics. Is any of that likely to happen? I'm not holding my breath. That's why I don't have cable, I fly as light as possible, and I try to buy grass-fed beef when possible. If I was an unlocked iPhone, I'll buy one, not tilt at the windmills of a deregulated American consumer giant that's not listening to me.

 


wireless-user wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

{please keep it courteous}, but there is no carrier in the US that will COMPLETELY unlock an iPhone. The CDMA carriers will unlock the GSM radio in their iPhones, but those can only be used with international GSM carriers. A GSM-unlocked Sperizon iPhone won't work on AT&T, T-Mobile, or any of the smaller US GSM carriers. Currently, AT&T is the only national GSM carrier for the iPhone, and they won't unlock it because there's no way to do so in the manner that Sprint and Verizon does. What carriers outside the US do is irrelevant. So no, there's no way to unlock an iPhone in the manner the OP is seeking.

 


Splitting hairs again?  The discussion is about GSM not CDMA.
AT&T has chosen to NOT unlock an iPhone, under any circumstances.
It's easy enough to do "if" AT&T wanted to do it.
Many international carriers will unlock their iPhone, Orange charges a small administrative fee.
AT&T could easily do the same thing, if they weren't so consumer hostile.




Ok I'm completely going off on a tangent here, but my understanding was that--generally speaking and if all other things are equal--doesn't grass-fed beef cost more per pound than grain-fed beef?  I mean, if frugality and not willing to pay extra and/or a premium for something was part of your argument...how exactly does grass-fed beef fit into this equation?  I mean, I could be wrong about which beef costs more but it should be noted that many non-high-end chain steakhouses typically offer grain-fed beef, primarily because it offers a greater profit margin than grass-fed beef..and this is almost always possible because grain-fed beef is less expensive than grass-fed beef.  Sure, Kobe/Wagyu beef is highly expensive...but the one thing for certain about it is that it is not obtained from grain-fed cattle...meaning, the more expensive beef (and I'm not talking necessarily about cuts of beef) are almost always from grass-fed cattle.

Message 26 of 41
Guru

Re: Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?


wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:
 Do know one thing their heads down road warriors of the company will be really displeased by the simple fact that one verizon one cannot have a conversation and access data at the same time. Makes for having conference for business collberation of a new deal impossible


You've been watching too many at&t commercials.  Surfing and talking isn't a requirement for me, or for that matter I've never seen anyone need it or demand that function. In the example you cite my laptop serves the purpose much better.

 

While I am a high tech nerd, the phone (to me) is a phone first and everything else is a much lower priority.

 

I hope to keep you amused for a few months longer.  Smiley Happy

 

Cheers,


LOL I hear you there--whatever happened to the days when a cellphone's main--if not only--function was simply to make and receive phone calls?  Nowadays, a cellphone isn't a cellphone unless you can install apps on it to make f*rt sounds, socialize online with faceless people at restaurants because you prefer doing that over talking to your dinner companion(s), or dress it up with some useless bling so that people can not only see that you're making or receiving calls, but to make sure that they can see how stylish and/or cool you look while you're doing so.

Message 27 of 41
Expert

Re: Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?


tonester wrote:

wireless-user wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:
 Do know one thing their heads down road warriors of the company will be really displeased by the simple fact that one verizon one cannot have a conversation and access data at the same time. Makes for having conference for business collberation of a new deal impossible


You've been watching too many at&t commercials.  Surfing and talking isn't a requirement for me, or for that matter I've never seen anyone need it or demand that function. In the example you cite my laptop serves the purpose much better.

 

While I am a high tech nerd, the phone (to me) is a phone first and everything else is a much lower priority.

 

I hope to keep you amused for a few months longer.  Smiley Happy

 

Cheers,


LOL I hear you there--whatever happened to the days when a cellphone's main--if not only--function was simply to make and receive phone calls?  Nowadays, a cellphone isn't a cellphone unless you can install apps on it to make f*rt sounds, socialize online with faceless people at restaurants because you prefer doing that over talking to your dinner companion(s), or dress it up with some useless bling so that people can not only see that you're making or receiving calls, but to make sure that they can see how stylish and/or cool you look while you're doing so.


not really sure what you are saying but simple fact it is a business tool for a lot of people, kind of hard to have a "face to face" meeting when the people meeting span the globe and are in different times zones, when the technology in the world has advanced so that you gave have a face to face meeting in the morning in london, then attend a face to face meeting in Osaka 2 hours later , then one in Rio De Janeiro to round out the day is when the need for data and voice concurrently is no longer needed.

Message 28 of 41

Re: Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?

Its just a bizarre way to run a service company. I called AT&T from the UK, this morning at 7.30 and the rep told me to jailbreak my phone. Even more strangely they tell you to sell it on to someone else to continue the problem.

 

I don't run AT&T and their mighty American business model but it seems to me if they ran an amnesty for Iphones IMEI etc to be released from AT&T or allow accounts to roam to other providers outside the U.S. they'd make a fortune even at $10 at time with the staff looking at each claim case by case?

 

Nobody wants to jailbreak, we shouldn't have to. Am I wrong?

 

What I don't get is the conviction of the AT&T moderators etc falling on the sword for a business model and practice that at best flawed, some would say immoral...


Once your contract is over you have PAID your money to AT&T. The iphone should be yours to do as you please. Setting up a GSM carrier isn't difficult there are thousands of them in other parts of the world. Why did the American consumer sign up to a deal like this.

 

AT&T won't change because the American consumer for all its bluster has absolutely no teeth or influence, it merely consumes whatever it is offered until the next big thing comes along (I even saw on the news that a lobby group got pizza to be recognized as a vegetable! So it can be classed as a healthy option and still served to kids in schools. Complete madness, it just couldn't happen in the UK, especially with kids it just plainly wrong).

 

All that would really help is a senior member of AT&T coming out and saying regardless of policy, is this a sensible and moral way to attract and retain customers.

We all know it's wrong...

AT&T know it's wrong...

At least have the balls to admit it and let the constructive dialogue begin

Message 29 of 41

Re: Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?

More specifically, my point is that people should have more "choice", but they do not. Deregulated, conglomerated, and "monopol-ish" telecom carriers have little incentive to innovate and/or offer their customers a better deal when they lack competition. But I'm not going to endlessly beat my head against the wall decrying the lack of choice. I talk with my wallet, and if I deem AT&T to be a bad enough deal I won't hesitate to take my dollars elsewhere. I haven't switched to Verizon because I rather like simultaneous voice & data, which is why I was disappointed that T-Mobile failed to attract the iPhone. I'll take the "grass vs. grain"-fed beef discussion over to the Wireless Lounge, if you or anyone else would care to join me.
Message 30 of 41
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support