Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?

AML
Teacher

Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?

Verizon and Sprint will unlock phone so their customers can use local sim cards during international travel. Will AT&T match this?

Message 1 of 41

Re: Unlock iPhone 4S for international travel?

If the phone is eligible to be unlock then it will be.
Message 2 of 41
AML
Teacher

I bought my iPhone 3GS the day it came out.  It's more than 2 years old and out of contract.  Is it eligible?

I saw an old thread saying ATT doesn't unlock ANY iPhones as a policy.  Hopefully this is no longer true.

Message 3 of 41
AML
Teacher

I should make it clearer and say Verizon and Sprint will unlock the new iPhone 4S....
Message 4 of 41

PM sent.

Message 5 of 41
Expert

AML wrote:
Verizon and Sprint will unlock phone so their customers can use local sim cards during international travel. Will AT&T match this?

At this time no Iphone is eligible for unlock through ATT, you can purchase a unlocked version directly from Apple but it is not subsidized. The policy may or may not change in the future, but at this time the answer is no for any Iphone that ATT handles or handled

Message 6 of 41
Contributor

What was meant here is that Sprint iPhone will be eligible for SIM unlock immediately after you purchase it. Verizon will be eligible after 60 days from purchasing. Does "eligible" in ATT language means "when your contract expires, in 2 years" or "never"? 

Message 7 of 41
Professor

batvanio wrote:

What was meant here is that Sprint iPhone will be eligible for SIM unlock immediately after you purchase it. Verizon will be eligible after 60 days from purchasing. Does "eligible" in ATT language means "when your contract expires, in 2 years" or "never"? 

As of now, AT&T have never unlocked an iPhone, even an original iPhone that is long out of contract, so I guess you could say unless something changes in the future, AT&T means "never".

Message 8 of 41
Contributor

I got a iPhone as a present. Actually I’m in sri lanka. So please tell me how can I unlock my Iphone by using IMEI or something else. Its iPhone  4

Message 9 of 41
Expert

chathu555 wrote:

I got a iPhone as a present. Actually I’m in sri lanka. So please tell me how can I unlock my Iphone by using IMEI or something else. Its iPhone  4

If it is a att phone, sell it on ebay and purchase a fully unlocked one from apple at full retail, the att iphone is under no circumstances unlocked by the carrier, neither now or in the foreseeable future. There are other methods available that are neither supported nor condoned by apple, you can find them on the internet and use them at your own decision

Message 10 of 41
Contributor

@wingrider01 Thanks much for you comment. currently i am using iphone without unlocking.If you know a way to unlock i mean website or software please let me know .It would be immense help for me. Suppose you are thourough on that.

My phone carrier is AT&T .

Chathuranga.

Message 11 of 41

There is currently no way to unlock an iPhone. 

Message 12 of 41

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

{keep it courteous}really means:

There is no way to unlock an AT&T sourced iPhone 4s.

Sprint and Verizon WILL unlock phones obtained through their channel.

Many other carriers outside of the USA will unlock iPhones obtained through their channel.

In the USA only AT&T remains hostile to the consumer.

Message 13 of 41
Expert

wireless-user wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Bad Boy really means:

Many other carriers outside of the USA will unlock iPhones obtained through their channel.

Yes Sprint and Verizon will unlock - under specific conditions, look through the other threads there is a copy of a letter from the carrier communications executive that spells out the requirements, they will not unlock for generic US use

Here you go--

per their documentation and numerous 5th estate reporters if you review it.

iPhone 4S devices acquired from Sprint or Verizon will enable users to purchase a micro-SIM card from a carrier in the foreign country they are traveling to and place it inside their handsets, thus avoiding any unwanted charges.

I apologize for the inconvenience and the misinformation you received.  I have forwarded your email for training purposes so the next time you or anyone else calls, they get better information about our Global SIM unlock policy.  The quote you included in your email from me is accurate; we will unlock the SIM for global use as long as the criteria are met. The policy isn’t on our website primarily because CDMA technology doesn’t typically use SIM cards and with the introduction of 4G LTE devices which do use SIM cards (that can’t be unlocked), we felt we would confuse customers.  

When you travel internationally, you need to call Verizon Wireless before you leave the country and request to have international calling added to your account profile and if you want the SIM unlocked, you can request that option at the same time.  Even if you choose to not unlock the SIM, you need to call before you leave the country and add the international calling feature to your phone (there is no charge because this just provides the capability, not a plan).  For global data, you will need to add a data plan.  Keep in mind, that if you choose to purchase a local SIM while out of the country, the SIM brings with it a different phone number so those using your Verizon Wireless number will not be able to reach you directly unless you give them the new phone number.

Here is the link to our Global Services: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/explore/?page=w​hy-verizon&section=international-services#interna...

Again, please my apologies for the confusion.

Brenda{Personal content removed}
Verizon Wireless
Executive Director
Corporate Communications

Message 14 of 41

{please keep it courteous}, but there is no carrier in the US that will COMPLETELY unlock an iPhone. The CDMA carriers will unlock the GSM radio in their iPhones, but those can only be used with international GSM carriers. A GSM-unlocked Sperizon iPhone won't work on AT&T, T-Mobile, or any of the smaller US GSM carriers. Currently, AT&T is the only national GSM carrier for the iPhone, and they won't unlock it because there's no way to do so in the manner that Sprint and Verizon does. What carriers outside the US do is irrelevant. So no, there's no way to unlock an iPhone in the manner the OP is seeking.

wireless-user wrote:

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Bad Boy really means:

Message 15 of 41
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support