Unlock code received from ATT for Tilt not working

Contributor

Unlock code received from ATT for Tilt not working

We have been using our Tilt phones for two years and have been ATT / Cingular customers for five. My husband is traveling outside of the US. We called ATT customer service before he left and spent 30 minutes on the phone requesting the unlock code so he could use his Tilt during his travels. ATT told us we would have to sign up for an "International Roaming Plan" before they would provide the unlock code- which seemed wrong and weird but we did so he could unlock the phone and use a local prepaid service during his travels. He is now in another country and the unlock code is not working after following the instructions given by ATT: The instructions were.... "1. Insert non-Cingular SIM card into device  2. Power on the device wait a few moments to allow device to fully power up. The device will prompt to enter the unlock code  3. Enter the unlock code  4. Press OK. Device should now be unlocked" The error he is receiving is "wrong unlock code". He has now tried it twice withe the unlock code ATT is giving us....

I have spent over two hours on the phone and on online chat with ATT verifying the Tilts IMEI and ATT just keeps giving me the same unlock code - last night I was told to call HTC - HTC told me that ATT would have to assist us.... Any suggestions on how to remedy this and get the phone unlocked ? Thanks in advance..

Message 1 of 4
Professor

Re: Unlock code received from ATT for Tilt not working

lstar wrote:

We have been using our Tilt phones for two years and have been ATT / Cingular customers for five. My husband is traveling outside of the US. We called ATT customer service before he left and spent 30 minutes on the phone requesting the unlock code so he could use his Tilt during his travels. ATT told us we would have to sign up for an "International Roaming Plan" before they would provide the unlock code- which seemed wrong and weird but we did so he could unlock the phone and use a local prepaid service during his travels. He is now in another country and the unlock code is not working after following the instructions given by ATT: The instructions were.... "1. Insert non-Cingular SIM card into device  2. Power on the device wait a few moments to allow device to fully power up. The device will prompt to enter the unlock code  3. Enter the unlock code  4. Press OK. Device should now be unlocked" The error he is receiving is "wrong unlock code". He has now tried it twice withe the unlock code ATT is giving us....

I have spent over two hours on the phone and on online chat with ATT verifying the Tilts IMEI and ATT just keeps giving me the same unlock code - last night I was told to call HTC - HTC told me that ATT would have to assist us.... Any suggestions on how to remedy this and get the phone unlocked ? Thanks in advance..

This is a first. I have never heard about such a problem, unless ofcourse the unlock code that was given you was wrong. However, you say you have received it more than once. Did they give it to you over the phone or did they email it to you? In the past I have received an email from them with the unlock code. If they have not emailed it to you maybe you should ask them to receive an official email from them. The only thing I would do if that didnt work, is call warranty department with an excuse to exchange for another tilt and then try to get an unlock code again as you will have a different IMEI number Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
Expert

lstar wrote:

We have been using our Tilt phones for two years and have been ATTM customers for five. My husband is traveling outside of the US. We called ATTM customer service before he left and spent 30 minutes on the phone requesting the unlock code so he could use his Tilt during his travels.

ATTM told us we would have to sign up for an "International Roaming Plan" before they would provide the unlock code- which seemed wrong and weird but we did so he could unlock the phone and use a local prepaid service during his travels. He is now in another country and the unlock code is not working after following the instructions given by ATTM: The instructions were....

1. Insert non-Cingular SIM card into device
  2. Power on the device wait a few moments to allow device to fully power up. The device will prompt to enter the unlock code
  3. Enter the unlock code
  4. Press OK. Device should now be unlocked" The error he is receiving is "wrong unlock code". He has now tried it twice withe the unlock code ATT is giving us....

Check the imei again by dialing *#06# from the handset if you have been getting it from the sticker on the back of the phone, or if you have been getting by using that code confirm the imei listed on the sticker on the back of the phone when the battery is removed.

Also whatever you do do not keep trying the same code, if you do you will ahrd lock the phoen and then the code is no good to you even if you get the correct code.

As for the roaming feature requirement, all you would of had to accept is the pay per use feature not one of the monthly charged features to qualify for the unlock code.

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Contributor

My situation is similar to this one. I received my unlocked code via email from ATT with the instruction. I went to get a new SIM Card from a different carrier overseas, once the guy installed the new sim card ask for the sim card pin number, was put in and then it came a message saying "contact service provider." I called ATT and they told me that must be the new carrier service, I went back and keep doing the same thing. What could it be? I notice that using the OLD sim card I could get into the security system and there is a "lock" picture next to the US Cingular and next to the state that I bought the phone and got the service. Could that be the problem? Do I need to contact the Cingular/ATT place where I got the phone? Thanks for any help.
Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support