Unlock Code "Not Found"

Contributor

Unlock Code "Not Found"

Hello,

I bought a Motorola Backflip and called several times to get an unlock code for this phone. The first two times, they couldn't get an unlock code and submitted my "case" for review but never got a clear response after I called back to check on the review.

Finally, last night I called and got a rep who actually knew what she was doing and told me that the system is saying my phone is unlockable however the code came back as "not found." So I would need to contact the manufacturer for the unlock code.

Does this mean I have to contact Motorola for the unlock code? If I do, what would be the phone number to contact them at?

KL

Message 1 of 10 (2,824 Views)
Master

Re: Unlock Code "Not Found"

I would try the contact number provided here .

Although as far as I know, they will probably direct you back to at&t as at&t will probably have to request the code from them on your behalf (since it's a carrier subsidy that is the basis of the phone being "locked").  You are probably going to have to be firm with at&t - ask for a supervisor if necessary in order to get them to request the code from Motorola, assuming you meet at&t's requirements for obtaining the code.  (But if you don't - they need to tell you that you don't and "why"/when you will.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 2 of 10 (2,732 Views)
Employee

The problem is if a code is not available there is nothing the agent or supervisor can do other than submitting that case that was already made for you and came back empty. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 10 (2,629 Views)
Master

JFizDaWiz wrote:

The problem is if a code is not available there is nothing the agent or supervisor can do other than submitting that case that was already made for you and came back empty. 

Maybe it would help if you provide examples of why a request could legitimately come back that a code was not found? Smiley Happy  (I presume you mean it would come back from the manufacturer with that response?  Why wouldn't they be able to generate the subsidy unlock code for their own device?)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 4 of 10 (2,609 Views)
Contributor

no service provider likes to give you the unlock code.  it means you bought the phone from someone else other than that provider.  best deal is to go on ebay and there are sellers there that do it for very little.  of course you have to find one that does your particular phone.  i don't think you will have any luck getting it from att.  going to motorola is not going to help.  you can also search on the internet for someone to do it or look for someone in your area.  there is always a chsrge for this no matter where you get it done.  but learn about your phone and what is involved in unlocking it. 

Message 5 of 10 (2,575 Views)
Employee

hme83 wrote:

JFizDaWiz wrote:

Maybe it would help if you provide examples of why a request could legitimately come back that a code was not found? Smiley Happy  (I presume you mean it would come back from the manufacturer with that response?  Why wouldn't they be able to generate the subsidy unlock code for their own device?)

i really can't talk about our systems in detail, all I can say is we either do or do not have the code. how we get them is even above me and still probably proprietary information.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 10 (2,561 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

JFizDaWiz wrote:

hme83 wrote:

JFizDaWiz wrote:

i really can't talk about our systems in detail, all I can say is we either do or do not have the code. how we get them is even above me and still probably proprietary information.

lol.  Where did I ask "how" you get the code or for any information re: at&t's system of doing so.  I asked for examples of what could be legitimate reasons that a code cannot be obtained from the manufacturer. 

It's pretty widespread knowledge that at&t customer service generally has the codes for recently released devices readily available to them - all you do is call customer service and they can typically provide you with the code and unlocking instructions during the initial phone call.  It's also pretty widespread knowledge that for older devices, at&t has to contact the manufacturer to obtain the code.  I presume it is the "LBK Tech Escalations" group that does this - that is who the e-mail with the subsidy unlock code and instructions has always come from when I've requested a subsidy unlock code; but I've not unlocked a phone for about three years - prior to the point that the codes began being readily available to customer service for most of the current devices.

So to say "we either do or do not have the code" is a conveniently evasive non-answer to the question that is being asked. Smiley Wink  There have to be some "typical" general reasons why a code legitimately cannot be obtained - if there is such a thing, as opposed to at&t's really just refusing to provide the code.  And if it's the latter, that may be fine - but the owner of the device should be given a clear reason why the device or their account does not qualify to receive the subsidy unlock code.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Message 7 of 10 (2,551 Views)
Employee

it seriously is as simple as we do or do not have it.

if we don't we might be able to issue a ticket to get it but then it out of my hands and done by another dept.

Employee Contributor*
Message 8 of 10 (2,322 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

JFizDaWiz wrote:

it seriously is as simple as we do or do not have it.

if we don't we might be able to issue a ticket to get it but then it out of my hands and done by another dept.

lol.  Thank you for confirming the subject of the thread - a general lack of accountability to customer service by at&t. Smiley Wink

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Message 9 of 10 (2,314 Views)
Employee

I'm sorry you didn't like the answer, but no carrier is under any obligation to provide an unlock code for phone they sell. If you feel you really are cheated contact the manufacturer (who probably will tell you to call AT&T) I'd put the blame on them

Employee Contributor*
Message 10 of 10 (2,289 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.