Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 2, 2010
6:05:41 AM
View profile
Unlimited data on smartphones to be changed to 2 Gigabyte cap with overage fees June 7th
Edited by Vegito on Jun 2, 2010 at 6:23:10 AM

Here is the link to the article: http://gizmodo.com/5553135/att-iphone-tethering-an-extra-20month

Those of us with unlimited data for our smartphones pay $30 per phone, on-top of voice, text, features, etc.

Well AT&T will remove the unlimited data option and offer these choice instead.

• DataPlus. Provides 200 megabytes (MB) of data for $15. If you go over this, you will be charged $15 and granted another 200MB.  To give you an idea how bad this is, currently you pay $30 for "unlimited" data where they will possibly throttle after 5 Gigabyte if you are an excessive user. Now if you use that same 5 Gigabytes, you will pay $375 for that one month for just that data alone (for one phone). Granted yes, if you only use 200 MB, it will only be $15 for data per phone...but why would you have a smartphone in the first place if you weren't going to use the data? (Smartphone plans are more expensive than regular phones and you would be better off with a normal phone.... 200MB is very easy to burn through. I use about 400MB a day, but that is me). If you use slacker radio, pandora, podcasts, youtube a lot, or download binary files...this isn't for you.
  • DataPro. Provides 2 gigabytes (GB) of data $25. If you go over this, you will be charged $10 and granted an additional 1 Gigabyte. This plan is far more accomadating and reasonable (although still a rip, considering other countries over 30 Gigabyte caps and then only throttle you if you go over..while offering tethering for free at the same time). Using the same example above. If you use 5 gigabyte you will only pay $55 per offending phone on top of regular features.

• Tethering. Smartphone customers – including iPhone customers – who choose the DataPro plan have the option to add tethering for an additional $20 per month. Tethering lets customers use their tethering-enabled smartphones as a modem to provide a broadband connection for laptop computers, netbooks or other computing devices. Tethering for iPhones will be available when Apple releases iPhone OS 4 this summer.

I am glad AT&T incorporate this, however $20 for something that cost them nothing? If there is already a bandwidth cap imposed that doesn't increase from purchasing the tethering option, this option should be free. In other countries this option is free and in fact would benefit the company if we went over our cap with more fees. In fact it is dangerously easy to go over while tethering because a non-computer savvy person may accidently have their computer to "automatically check for updates" and that will eat up a good chunk (if not all) in just one night.

If I am misinformed, please correct me naturally in a polite way. I actually almost have my degree in computer science and am extremely familiar in the types of technology cell carriers use, especially AT&T and their HSDPA network. They actually take pains to "remove" the tethering features in their phones that is supported in other countries. From a business standpoint I can understand them removing tethering on their phones who have an "unlimited" plan. But it is ridiculous to impose tethering fees when a badnwidth cap is already in place that involves "fees" instead of "throttling" when one goes over PER phone.

The company already capitalizes on text messaging charging $30 for unlimited text (or .20 cents per SMS if you don't choose a plan) when each text message (often below even 1KB in size) cost them less than a fourth of a penny as it is.

I am posting this to inform my fellow subscribers, but mainly to hear your opinions. Please try not to be biased, or extremely angry that I do not like this idea. Please don't tell me things like "If you don't like it, leave". As this doesn't solve the problem, perhaps if AT&T sees what people think we "the consumer" will actually be noticed..even if nothing is done (more than likely) at least we were heard.

Here is the link to the article: http://gizmodo.com/5553135/att-iphone-tethering-an-extra-20month

Those of us with unlimited data for our smartphones pay $30 per phone, on-top of voice, text, features, etc.

Well AT&T will remove the unlimited data option and offer these choice instead.

• DataPlus. Provides 200 megabytes (MB) of data for $15. If you go over this, you will be charged $15 and granted another 200MB.  To give you an idea how bad this is, currently you pay $30 for "unlimited" data where they will possibly throttle after 5 Gigabyte if you are an excessive user. Now if you use that same 5 Gigabytes, you will pay $375 for that one month for just that data alone (for one phone). Granted yes, if you only use 200 MB, it will only be $15 for data per phone...but why would you have a smartphone in the first place if you weren't going to use the data? (Smartphone plans are more expensive than regular phones and you would be better off with a normal phone.... 200MB is very easy to burn through. I use about 400MB a day, but that is me). If you use slacker radio, pandora, podcasts, youtube a lot, or download binary files...this isn't for you.
  • DataPro. Provides 2 gigabytes (GB) of data $25. If you go over this, you will be charged $10 and granted an additional 1 Gigabyte. This plan is far more accomadating and reasonable (although still a rip, considering other countries over 30 Gigabyte caps and then only throttle you if you go over..while offering tethering for free at the same time). Using the same example above. If you use 5 gigabyte you will only pay $55 per offending phone on top of regular features.

• Tethering. Smartphone customers – including iPhone customers – who choose the DataPro plan have the option to add tethering for an additional $20 per month. Tethering lets customers use their tethering-enabled smartphones as a modem to provide a broadband connection for laptop computers, netbooks or other computing devices. Tethering for iPhones will be available when Apple releases iPhone OS 4 this summer.

I am glad AT&T incorporate this, however $20 for something that cost them nothing? If there is already a bandwidth cap imposed that doesn't increase from purchasing the tethering option, this option should be free. In other countries this option is free and in fact would benefit the company if we went over our cap with more fees. In fact it is dangerously easy to go over while tethering because a non-computer savvy person may accidently have their computer to "automatically check for updates" and that will eat up a good chunk (if not all) in just one night.

If I am misinformed, please correct me naturally in a polite way. I actually almost have my degree in computer science and am extremely familiar in the types of technology cell carriers use, especially AT&T and their HSDPA network. They actually take pains to "remove" the tethering features in their phones that is supported in other countries. From a business standpoint I can understand them removing tethering on their phones who have an "unlimited" plan. But it is ridiculous to impose tethering fees when a badnwidth cap is already in place that involves "fees" instead of "throttling" when one goes over PER phone.

The company already capitalizes on text messaging charging $30 for unlimited text (or .20 cents per SMS if you don't choose a plan) when each text message (often below even 1KB in size) cost them less than a fourth of a penny as it is.

I am posting this to inform my fellow subscribers, but mainly to hear your opinions. Please try not to be biased, or extremely angry that I do not like this idea. Please don't tell me things like "If you don't like it, leave". As this doesn't solve the problem, perhaps if AT&T sees what people think we "the consumer" will actually be noticed..even if nothing is done (more than likely) at least we were heard.

Unlimited data on smartphones to be changed to 2 Gigabyte cap with overage fees June 7th

[ Edited ]
148 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(148)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 11:49:17 AM
(0)
Voyager

Ok I created a separate thread for this question but this thread seems to be getting lots of responses from AT&T employees.

So I was pretty stressed when I read the June 2nd announcement for changes to AT&T's data plans. Now I read on Apple's ipad sales page that if you order/ed from the apple online store before the 6th you will still be eligible even though you will get it past June 6th. (Get mine on the 8th)

Link to apple ipad sales page: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=OTY2ODA0NQ

Two references on the page about being eligible for unlimited data if you ordered before the 6th. Fine print under the "About iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G" section. Read the * under the table for the listed plans. Also it is in the second sentence of the first paragraph under the "3G data plan FAQs."

My question is how will AT&T be able to tell my ipad from one bought after the 6th so I can get on the unlimited data plan when I receive my ipad on the 8th?

Ok I created a separate thread for this question but this thread seems to be getting lots of responses from AT&T employees.

So I was pretty stressed when I read the June 2nd announcement for changes to AT&T's data plans. Now I read on Apple's ipad sales page that if you order/ed from the apple online store before the 6th you will still be eligible even though you will get it past June 6th. (Get mine on the 8th)

Link to apple ipad sales page: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad?mco=OTY2ODA0NQ

Two references on the page about being eligible for unlimited data if you ordered before the 6th. Fine print under the "About iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G" section. Read the * under the table for the listed plans. Also it is in the second sentence of the first paragraph under the "3G data plan FAQs."

My question is how will AT&T be able to tell my ipad from one bought after the 6th so I can get on the unlimited data plan when I receive my ipad on the 8th?

Re: Unlimited data on smartphones to be changed to 2 Gigabyte cap with overage fees June 7th

122 of 149 (414 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 11:40:59 AM
(0)
Mentor

One of my biggest complaints about the pricing changes is that I am going from being locked into unlimited plans that I barely use, to being locked into limited plans with no flexibility. I devised an alternative pricing system that I posted to another site. I'm copy/pasting:

Here's what I want...

- A flat line rental fee of $10.
- 1 minute of talk time to any number in the US is 1 unit.
- 1 minute of talk time to the UK is 3 units.
- 1 SMS is 1 unit.
- 1 MMS is 2 units.
- 1MB of data is five units.
- $2 = 1,000 units.

Sell those units in packs, let units rollover, and voila: streamlined, fair pricing.

Right now, I pay for 550 anytime minutes/month and almost all of them rollover. I pay for unlimited data and only use ~130MB. I pay for unlimited texts and use ~200. The second I call family in the UK, my bills skyrocket.

I could move to lower plans on all bar the talk time (I'm on the entry level family plan) but then I have zero flexibility on busier months, and the value for money is terrible. This new $15 data plan equates to $76/GB.

A units system would mean everyone is paying for what they use - both the low users and the high users who are the biggest burden on the network. It also means they aren't locked into the arbitrary bundles created by AT&T - it's totally tailored to how they use their device.

One of my biggest complaints about the pricing changes is that I am going from being locked into unlimited plans that I barely use, to being locked into limited plans with no flexibility. I devised an alternative pricing system that I posted to another site. I'm copy/pasting:

Here's what I want...

- 1 SMS is 1 unit.
- 1 MMS is 2 units.
- $2 = 1,000 units.

Sell those units in packs, let units rollover, and voila: streamlined, fair pricing.

Right now, I pay for 550 anytime minutes/month and almost all of them rollover. I pay for unlimited data and only use ~130MB. I pay for unlimited texts and use ~200. The second I call family in the UK, my bills skyrocket.

I could move to lower plans on all bar the talk time (I'm on the entry level family plan) but then I have zero flexibility on busier months, and the value for money is terrible. This new $15 data plan equates to $76/GB.

A units system would mean everyone is paying for what they use - both the low users and the high users who are the biggest burden on the network. It also means they aren't locked into the arbitrary bundles created by AT&T - it's totally tailored to how they use their device.

New pricing idea

121 of 149 (442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 12:42:25 PM
(0)
Master

While it's nice that so many "imagineers" are coming up with new pricing schemes for AT&T, do you honestly believe this is going to make one iota of difference?  I'm not knocking you for using your head, but in all honesty there's very little chance that anything anyone says is going to change AT&T's proposed new pricing structure.  So what you want is immaterial.

faustshausuk wrote:

Here's what I want...

- 1 SMS is 1 unit.
- 1 MMS is 2 units.
- $2 = 1,000 units.

While it's nice that so many "imagineers" are coming up with new pricing schemes for AT&T, do you honestly believe this is going to make one iota of difference?  I'm not knocking you for using your head, but in all honesty there's very little chance that anything anyone says is going to change AT&T's proposed new pricing structure.  So what you want is immaterial.

faustshausuk wrote:

Here's what I want...

- 1 SMS is 1 unit.
- 1 MMS is 2 units.
- $2 = 1,000 units.

Re: New pricing idea

123 of 149 (397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 1:20:29 PM
(0)
Professor
BrianfromNO:... yep, sad but true. either we stay with ATT or we go....
BrianfromNO:... yep, sad but true. either we stay with ATT or we go....
Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

Re: Unlimited data on smartphones to be changed to 2 Gigabyte cap with overage fees June 7th

124 of 149 (383 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 1:27:27 PM
(0)
Mentor

I don't think AT&T are going to change course at all... of course they're not, they know they're going to sucker people into lowering their bills now only to realise they needed that unlimited data when the next wave of phone features come in. Then they'll be there with their new, higher charges.

Still, I've been raised on the idea that it's better to provide constructive feedback rather than whining aimlessly.

I don't think AT&T are going to change course at all... of course they're not, they know they're going to sucker people into lowering their bills now only to realise they needed that unlimited data when the next wave of phone features come in. Then they'll be there with their new, higher charges.

Still, I've been raised on the idea that it's better to provide constructive feedback rather than whining aimlessly.

Re: New pricing idea

125 of 149 (379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 4, 2010 3:48:55 PM
(0)
Tutor
I doubt Verizon would have anywhere near the problems AT&T have had. Unless the number of people switching added with the number of new customers equaled roughly the same number of current iPhone users, it just wouldn't be the same network load.
If it had been them from the start, possibly. This is now though, and right now a second iPhone carrier in the US would likely at least lessen the problem.
I doubt Verizon would have anywhere near the problems AT&T have had. Unless the number of people switching added with the number of new customers equaled roughly the same number of current iPhone users, it just wouldn't be the same network load.
If it had been them from the start, possibly. This is now though, and right now a second iPhone carrier in the US would likely at least lessen the problem.

126 of 149 (362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2010 11:19:48 AM
(0)
Expert

MikeReed wrote:

Verizon spokesman says iPhone not in carrier's "Immediate Future" - http://bit.ly/9EZaS3

MikeReed wrote:

Verizon spokesman says iPhone not in carrier's "Immediate Future" - http://bit.ly/9EZaS3

127 of 149 (321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2010 11:29:19 AM
(0)
Tutor
If they did'nt grandfather us in, they would be breaking the contract.Allowing us the opportunity to leave without paying the $175 early termination fee.Thats the only reason for it.
If they did'nt grandfather us in, they would be breaking the contract.Allowing us the opportunity to leave without paying the $175 early termination fee.Thats the only reason for it.

128 of 149 (317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2010 11:34:04 AM
(0)
Professor
IPHONE will be AT&Ts baby exclusively for another 2 years. no Verizon sightings til thn and no return to unlimited plans till theif ever
IPHONE will be AT&Ts baby exclusively for another 2 years. no Verizon sightings til thn and no return to unlimited plans till theif ever
Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

129 of 149 (314 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2010 11:42:18 PM
(0)
Tutor
Well, I went into an Apple store and got a new 3GS for only $99.00 as the Apple store is price matching Wal-Mart's price for the 16Gb version. Now the rumors are that the iPhone 4G should be out before the end of the month. If that rumor is true, I wonder if I swap out the 3GS for the 4G, will I be able to keep my $30 unlimited data plan? I sure hope so.
Well, I went into an Apple store and got a new 3GS for only $99.00 as the Apple store is price matching Wal-Mart's price for the 16Gb version. Now the rumors are that the iPhone 4G should be out before the end of the month. If that rumor is true, I wonder if I swap out the 3GS for the 4G, will I be able to keep my $30 unlimited data plan? I sure hope so.

130 of 149 (291 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2010 5:08:00 PM
(0)
Expert

willgreene99 wrote:

Yes You will keep it as long as you return and purchase at the same time.

willgreene99 wrote:

Yes You will keep it as long as you return and purchase at the same time.

Re: June 7th

131 of 149 (285 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 4:50:47 AM
(0)
Teacher

Whew.  I've never read a thread on ANY forum verbatim like I read this one.

We switched from TM to ATT bc we are moving to a rural area that does not offer TM coverage (except roaming on ATT's towers!)  I was with TM for 5 yrs and never had any problem with them.  Ever.

I didn't make my decision lightly and did consider Ver but liked ATT's phones better.  We originally chose the Mythic & Impression phones but after receiving them and "toying" with them, I disliked both AND was given false info by both ATT and the independent provider where phones were "purchased" (free phones).  I immediately switched to a BBB9700 and the unlimited data plan (mandatory).  While this fee is a pain in the butt, it DOES allow for "no worries" frame of mind!  To me, this is priceless.  I simply wish the unlimited talk for all 3 lines wasn't as pricey as it is.

That being said, my opinions are this:

- I'm glad I switched to the BB before it was too late;

- I understand those who want less usage but for the most part, many of us just don't want the worry and hassle.  For some of us, it's not a matter of indiviudality - it's family member (or two or three...) who cause worry about downloading music, apps, games, videos, etc.  As it is, we opted out of sending videos blah blah.

- If ATT takes away my unlimited data, I will follow suit because I signed up for a specific phone with a specific contract.  I'm sure, practically positive that there is fine print somewhere that states ATT may change any and all plans at any time without cause or notification.  HOWEVER, if they change this policy again, I will terminate and creatively make sure my c/c is not charged any ETF's.

- It is exceptionally irritating to hear people talk about their Iphones like they (the phones) are Gawds (intentional spelling).  Yeah, there's an app for that, but seriously - to make it sound like the Iphone is the ONLY phone who's customer is going to suffer with this change?  Revoltingly conceited thought (not calling anyone conceited!)  anywho...

The change doesn't bother me.  Had it come a few weeks ago, then I'd be a bit miffed.

Whew.  I've never read a thread on ANY forum verbatim like I read this one.

We switched from TM to ATT bc we are moving to a rural area that does not offer TM coverage (except roaming on ATT's towers!)  I was with TM for 5 yrs and never had any problem with them.  Ever.

I didn't make my decision lightly and did consider Ver but liked ATT's phones better.  We originally chose the Mythic & Impression phones but after receiving them and "toying" with them, I disliked both AND was given false info by both ATT and the independent provider where phones were "purchased" (free phones).  I immediately switched to a BBB9700 and the unlimited data plan (mandatory).  While this fee is a pain in the butt, it DOES allow for "no worries" frame of mind!  To me, this is priceless.  I simply wish the unlimited talk for all 3 lines wasn't as pricey as it is.

That being said, my opinions are this:

- I'm glad I switched to the BB before it was too late;

- I understand those who want less usage but for the most part, many of us just don't want the worry and hassle.  For some of us, it's not a matter of indiviudality - it's family member (or two or three...) who cause worry about downloading music, apps, games, videos, etc.  As it is, we opted out of sending videos blah blah.

- If ATT takes away my unlimited data, I will follow suit because I signed up for a specific phone with a specific contract.  I'm sure, practically positive that there is fine print somewhere that states ATT may change any and all plans at any time without cause or notification.  HOWEVER, if they change this policy again, I will terminate and creatively make sure my c/c is not charged any ETF's.

- It is exceptionally irritating to hear people talk about their Iphones like they (the phones) are Gawds (intentional spelling).  Yeah, there's an app for that, but seriously - to make it sound like the Iphone is the ONLY phone who's customer is going to suffer with this change?  Revoltingly conceited thought (not calling anyone conceited!)  anywho...

The change doesn't bother me.  Had it come a few weeks ago, then I'd be a bit miffed.

Re: June 7th

132 of 149 (235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 6:50:43 AM
(0)
Scholar

Yeah, some people are grandfathered in, until they get a new phone, which will be 2 years max, on average.  Think about how much data you used two years ago on your phone compared to today.  Now project this forward.  This is going to cost alot monthly.  AT&T will make mega $$ and the lemmings will accept it.

Yeah, some people are grandfathered in, until they get a new phone, which will be 2 years max, on average.  Think about how much data you used two years ago on your phone compared to today.  Now project this forward.  This is going to cost alot monthly.  AT&T will make mega $$ and the lemmings will accept it.

posted from my Captivate.

133 of 149 (231 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 7:03:54 AM
(0)
Scholar

Snow_Fox wrote:

Words do not express how people being forced to take accountability for their actions makes me..

I am now responsible for my data usage.. which means I can pay half price for the services I get and still have smart phone.. Its not perfect however, Its a compromise I can live with.

Now we don't all have to suffer for people who "didn't notice" they were charged for data.

And when I get close to 200MB, how do I make sure I don't go over?  I currently have a Fuze, with grandfathered no data, I have WiFi 24/7.  I'm planning on getting another phone in Nov, is there a way to turn off at&t's data to prevent being charged for the next 200MB?

Snow_Fox wrote:

Words do not express how people being forced to take accountability for their actions makes me..

I am now responsible for my data usage.. which means I can pay half price for the services I get and still have smart phone.. Its not perfect however, Its a compromise I can live with.

Now we don't all have to suffer for people who "didn't notice" they were charged for data.

And when I get close to 200MB, how do I make sure I don't go over?  I currently have a Fuze, with grandfathered no data, I have WiFi 24/7.  I'm planning on getting another phone in Nov, is there a way to turn off at&t's data to prevent being charged for the next 200MB?

134 of 149 (231 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 7:08:46 AM
(0)
Scholar

Snow_Fox wrote:

I am hoping we will see roll over MB soon >.>;

That's what I asked CS, they gave me a flat "No".  It would be a great selling point over other carriers. One of the reasons we stay with AT&T because of the rollover minutes.  If we have a month with a friend/family member who has an emergency, no problem, just use the rollover minutes.

Snow_Fox wrote:

I am hoping we will see roll over MB soon >.>;

That's what I asked CS, they gave me a flat "No".  It would be a great selling point over other carriers. One of the reasons we stay with AT&T because of the rollover minutes.  If we have a month with a friend/family member who has an emergency, no problem, just use the rollover minutes.

135 of 149 (229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 8:28:42 AM
(0)
Expert

wekebu wrote:

You are incorrect if a user upgrades a smartphone to a new smartphone they retain the unlimited data plan. The is documented in their FAQS and in posts by the moderators of the forum. If the user with a unlimtied plan decides to downgrade to one of the new plans tjhey will be unable to go back to the unlimited plan or if they upgrade to a non-smartphone.

Bottom line - if you have a smartphone with unlimited data you will continue to be grandfatherd in on the unlimited data plan as long as you continue to upgrade to anoterh smartphone.

wekebu wrote:

You are incorrect if a user upgrades a smartphone to a new smartphone they retain the unlimited data plan. The is documented in their FAQS and in posts by the moderators of the forum. If the user with a unlimtied plan decides to downgrade to one of the new plans tjhey will be unable to go back to the unlimited plan or if they upgrade to a non-smartphone.

Bottom line - if you have a smartphone with unlimited data you will continue to be grandfatherd in on the unlimited data plan as long as you continue to upgrade to anoterh smartphone.

136 of 149 (225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 3:47:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

ANyone know if the contract will still stay in place if we opt for the early upgrade?? I dont want to lose my unlimited data for $30.

ANyone know if the contract will still stay in place if we opt for the early upgrade?? I dont want to lose my unlimited data for $30.

early upgrade to the iPhone 4 will the contract also be upgraded and lose $30 unlimited

137 of 149 (218 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 5:21:47 PM
(0)
Teacher

So, if I want to switch to the $15 plan from my unlimited plan, how do I go about doing that?

So, if I want to switch to the $15 plan from my unlimited plan, how do I go about doing that?

Re: early upgrade to the iPhone 4 will the contract also be upgraded and lose $30 unlimited

138 of 149 (213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 5:32:36 PM
(0)
Expert

BuckAv wrote:

just call them and change - remember once you change you cannot go back to the unlimited paln it is gone as a option forever

BuckAv wrote:

just call them and change - remember once you change you cannot go back to the unlimited paln it is gone as a option forever

Re: early upgrade to the iPhone 4 will the contract also be upgraded and lose $30 unlimited

139 of 149 (207 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 5:39:18 PM
(0)
Guru

BuckAv wrote:

Login to your online acount manager (OLAM) and select manage features>select the line you want to manage>scroll down till you get to the data then select the new plan. Just remember once you leave Unlimited you can never get it back.

BuckAv wrote:

Login to your online acount manager (OLAM) and select manage features>select the line you want to manage>scroll down till you get to the data then select the new plan. Just remember once you leave Unlimited you can never get it back.

140 of 149 (207 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2010 6:21:59 PM
(0)
Tutor

Wow. This thread shows just how hard it is to make everybody happy. I have read tons of threads where people are mad over the unlimited 30 dollar plans that ATT used to offer because either it was to much to pay or data is not used that much. Now att says you can keep your old plan if you want to but we will now be offering lower plans for those who don't use that much data and want to pay lower rates and everyone is still complaining.Woman Mad Makes you wonder if we really know what we want cause it sure doesn't sound like it.

for those who have concerns about usage amount if u dial *data# and hit send or talk it will send you a free txt msg showing your usage as often as you want to check. You can also dial 611 and listen for the option to check usage amount. The last way to check is by creating/signing in to your mywireless account at www.att.com/wireless this will allow you to check your usage as well. There was a report that came out that showed that 97% of people use under 2GB of usage so unless your in the 3% who does you will benefit from the lower price.

Wow. This thread shows just how hard it is to make everybody happy. I have read tons of threads where people are mad over the unlimited 30 dollar plans that ATT used to offer because either it was to much to pay or data is not used that much. Now att says you can keep your old plan if you want to but we will now be offering lower plans for those who don't use that much data and want to pay lower rates and everyone is still complaining.Woman Mad Makes you wonder if we really know what we want cause it sure doesn't sound like it.

for those who have concerns about usage amount if u dial *data# and hit send or talk it will send you a free txt msg showing your usage as often as you want to check. You can also dial 611 and listen for the option to check usage amount. The last way to check is by creating/signing in to your mywireless account at www.att.com/wireless this will allow you to check your usage as well. There was a report that came out that showed that 97% of people use under 2GB of usage so unless your in the 3% who does you will benefit from the lower price.

141 of 149 (318 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 10:59:50 AM
(0)
Scholar

I am considering going on a blackberry  plan  and was wondering with the new changes with the data be rolled over to the next month if you don't use it all or will it be back to the 200mb each month. I haven't read through this whole thead yet. Sorry if this question has been already asked before.

I am considering going on a blackberry  plan  and was wondering with the new changes with the data be rolled over to the next month if you don't use it all or will it be back to the 200mb each month. I haven't read through this whole thead yet. Sorry if this question has been already asked before.

142 of 149 (301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 11:32:25 AM
(0)
Guru

coolchick200583 wrote:

Data is a Use It or Lose It. Data does not rollover

coolchick200583 wrote:

143 of 149 (296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 12:21:04 PM
(0)
Scholar

ok thanks for the info.

ok thanks for the info.

144 of 149 (292 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2010 12:21:21 PM
(0)
Teacher

Planet-Ed wrote:

Most of the this persons article was just pure crud. Doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. I about spit up my coffee laughing at the comment on how exchange is checking mail. Obvoiusly has no clue how excha ge works. The only real valid point was the bait-n-switch on advertisiing data plans and pricing for the iPad as a selling point only to turn around one month later and change it after everyone had already gotten them expecting a price to pay for that model.

I'm very familiar with Exchange & it's protocols. However, iPhone's OS delivers it's PUSH technology with Exchange by constantly checking for new calendar appointments, contacts & emails. This has nothing to do with Exchange; it's merely how the iPhone OS interacts with it.

Planet-Ed wrote:

Most of the this persons article was just pure crud. Doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. I about spit up my coffee laughing at the comment on how exchange is checking mail. Obvoiusly has no clue how excha ge works. The only real valid point was the bait-n-switch on advertisiing data plans and pricing for the iPad as a selling point only to turn around one month later and change it after everyone had already gotten them expecting a price to pay for that model.

I'm very familiar with Exchange & it's protocols. However, iPhone's OS delivers it's PUSH technology with Exchange by constantly checking for new calendar appointments, contacts & emails. This has nothing to do with Exchange; it's merely how the iPhone OS interacts with it.

Re: 3G Unlimited Plan Retired - The Real Truth Behind It

145 of 149 (289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 7:10:24 AM
(0)
Scholar

Neihn wrote:

coolchick200583 wrote:

Same statement could be made for voice, yet there are roll over minutes.  This would soften the blow of such a low limit of 200MB

Neihn wrote:

coolchick200583 wrote:

Same statement could be made for voice, yet there are roll over minutes.  This would soften the blow of such a low limit of 200MB

146 of 149 (275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2010 11:58:21 AM
(0)
Tutor

I am currently on a BB unlimited data plan and expect to switch to a Dell Streak this month. I assumed I could keep my unlimited plan for a few months to see how it goes before switching to a different plan, but after reading this thread, not sure that is true.

The big unknown for me is Wifi. My Blackberry doesn't have wifi, so my monthly usage (about 250Mb) is higher. With the new plans, Wifi usage is FREE, so if the new device can stay on Wifi networks, I can lower my cost to the $15/month charge. I have Wifi at home and at work, so my only 3G usage would be while I am in transit.

The other bigger unknown is the future. As these devices become more and more powerful, they will by default use more and more data. Average usage of 250MB today may translate into 1G in a couple of years, etc.  But I assume most usage would be on a Wifi network, so maybe it isn't a big deal, unless AT&T decides to start charging for Wifi usage too?

I am currently on a BB unlimited data plan and expect to switch to a Dell Streak this month. I assumed I could keep my unlimited plan for a few months to see how it goes before switching to a different plan, but after reading this thread, not sure that is true.

The big unknown for me is Wifi. My Blackberry doesn't have wifi, so my monthly usage (about 250Mb) is higher. With the new plans, Wifi usage is FREE, so if the new device can stay on Wifi networks, I can lower my cost to the $15/month charge. I have Wifi at home and at work, so my only 3G usage would be while I am in transit.

The other bigger unknown is the future. As these devices become more and more powerful, they will by default use more and more data. Average usage of 250MB today may translate into 1G in a couple of years, etc.  But I assume most usage would be on a Wifi network, so maybe it isn't a big deal, unless AT&T decides to start charging for Wifi usage too?

147 of 149 (243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2010 6:51:39 PM
(0)
Expert

nb_mitch wrote:

with business conferences via a webex Iphone app and some other customized Iphone apps for my business we average close to 4+ gb a month on each of the phones, so it is already there

nb_mitch wrote:

with business conferences via a webex Iphone app and some other customized Iphone apps for my business we average close to 4+ gb a month on each of the phones, so it is already there

148 of 149 (226 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2010 2:31:15 AM
(0)
Master

If you have and keep unlimited data on your device, you will be able to keep it if you upgrade to a new device.  If you switch to a capped plan for any reason (like tethering), your unlimited data is gone forever.

AT&T can't charge for wi-fi usage.  Not sure how this rumor keeps getting restarted.  You can put your phone in airplane mode or take the SIM out and manually turn on wi-fi and use it.  AT&T has no control over your wi-fi.

nb_mitch wrote:

If you have and keep unlimited data on your device, you will be able to keep it if you upgrade to a new device.  If you switch to a capped plan for any reason (like tethering), your unlimited data is gone forever.

AT&T can't charge for wi-fi usage.  Not sure how this rumor keeps getting restarted.  You can put your phone in airplane mode or take the SIM out and manually turn on wi-fi and use it.  AT&T has no control over your wi-fi.

nb_mitch wrote:

149 of 149 (216 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments