Unlimited data on smartphones to be changed to 2 Gigabyte cap with overage fees June 7th

Tutor

Unlimited data on smartphones to be changed to 2 Gigabyte cap with overage fees June 7th

[ Edited ]

Here is the link to the article: http://gizmodo.com/5553135/att-iphone-tethering-an-extra-20month

Those of us with unlimited data for our smartphones pay $30 per phone, on-top of voice, text, features, etc.

Well AT&T will remove the unlimited data option and offer these choice instead.

• DataPlus. Provides 200 megabytes (MB) of data for $15. If you go over this, you will be charged $15 and granted another 200MB.  To give you an idea how bad this is, currently you pay $30 for "unlimited" data where they will possibly throttle after 5 Gigabyte if you are an excessive user. Now if you use that same 5 Gigabytes, you will pay $375 for that one month for just that data alone (for one phone). Granted yes, if you only use 200 MB, it will only be $15 for data per phone...but why would you have a smartphone in the first place if you weren't going to use the data? (Smartphone plans are more expensive than regular phones and you would be better off with a normal phone.... 200MB is very easy to burn through. I use about 400MB a day, but that is me). If you use slacker radio, pandora, podcasts, youtube a lot, or download binary files...this isn't for you.
  • DataPro. Provides 2 gigabytes (GB) of data $25. If you go over this, you will be charged $10 and granted an additional 1 Gigabyte. This plan is far more accomadating and reasonable (although still a rip, considering other countries over 30 Gigabyte caps and then only throttle you if you go over..while offering tethering for free at the same time). Using the same example above. If you use 5 gigabyte you will only pay $55 per offending phone on top of regular features.

• Tethering. Smartphone customers – including iPhone customers – who choose the DataPro plan have the option to add tethering for an additional $20 per month. Tethering lets customers use their tethering-enabled smartphones as a modem to provide a broadband connection for laptop computers, netbooks or other computing devices. Tethering for iPhones will be available when Apple releases iPhone OS 4 this summer.

I am glad AT&T incorporate this, however $20 for something that cost them nothing? If there is already a bandwidth cap imposed that doesn't increase from purchasing the tethering option, this option should be free. In other countries this option is free and in fact would benefit the company if we went over our cap with more fees. In fact it is dangerously easy to go over while tethering because a non-computer savvy person may accidently have their computer to "automatically check for updates" and that will eat up a good chunk (if not all) in just one night.

If I am misinformed, please correct me naturally in a polite way. I actually almost have my degree in computer science and am extremely familiar in the types of technology cell carriers use, especially AT&T and their HSDPA network. They actually take pains to "remove" the tethering features in their phones that is supported in other countries. From a business standpoint I can understand them removing tethering on their phones who have an "unlimited" plan. But it is ridiculous to impose tethering fees when a badnwidth cap is already in place that involves "fees" instead of "throttling" when one goes over PER phone.

The company already capitalizes on text messaging charging $30 for unlimited text (or .20 cents per SMS if you don't choose a plan) when each text message (often below even 1KB in size) cost them less than a fourth of a penny as it is.

I am posting this to inform my fellow subscribers, but mainly to hear your opinions. Please try not to be biased, or extremely angry that I do not like this idea. Please don't tell me things like "If you don't like it, leave". As this doesn't solve the problem, perhaps if AT&T sees what people think we "the consumer" will actually be noticed..even if nothing is done (more than likely) at least we were heard.

Message 4 of 149 (1,806 Views)
Expert

Re: Unlimited data on smartphones to be changed to 2 Gigabyte cap with overage fees June 7th

wekebu wrote:

Yeah, some people are grandfathered in, until they get a new phone, which will be 2 years max, on average.  Think about how much data you used two years ago on your phone compared to today.  Now project this forward.  This is going to cost alot monthly.  AT&T will make mega $$ and the lemmings will accept it.

You are incorrect if a user upgrades a smartphone to a new smartphone they retain the unlimited data plan. The is documented in their FAQS and in posts by the moderators of the forum. If the user with a unlimtied plan decides to downgrade to one of the new plans tjhey will be unable to go back to the unlimited plan or if they upgrade to a non-smartphone.

Bottom line - if you have a smartphone with unlimited data you will continue to be grandfatherd in on the unlimited data plan as long as you continue to upgrade to anoterh smartphone.

Message 136 of 149 (259 Views)
Contributor

early upgrade to the iPhone 4 will the contract also be upgraded and lose $30 unlimited

ANyone know if the contract will still stay in place if we opt for the early upgrade?? I dont want to lose my unlimited data for $30.

Message 137 of 149 (252 Views)
Teacher

Re: early upgrade to the iPhone 4 will the contract also be upgraded and lose $30 unlimited

So, if I want to switch to the $15 plan from my unlimited plan, how do I go about doing that?

Message 138 of 149 (247 Views)
Expert

Re: early upgrade to the iPhone 4 will the contract also be upgraded and lose $30 unlimited

BuckAv wrote:

So, if I want to switch to the $15 plan from my unlimited plan, how do I go about doing that?

just call them and change - remember once you change you cannot go back to the unlimited paln it is gone as a option forever

Message 139 of 149 (241 Views)
Guru

BuckAv wrote:

Login to your online acount manager (OLAM) and select manage features>select the line you want to manage>scroll down till you get to the data then select the new plan. Just remember once you leave Unlimited you can never get it back.

Message 140 of 149 (241 Views)
Tutor

Wow. This thread shows just how hard it is to make everybody happy. I have read tons of threads where people are mad over the unlimited 30 dollar plans that ATT used to offer because either it was to much to pay or data is not used that much. Now att says you can keep your old plan if you want to but we will now be offering lower plans for those who don't use that much data and want to pay lower rates and everyone is still complaining.Woman Mad Makes you wonder if we really know what we want cause it sure doesn't sound like it.

for those who have concerns about usage amount if u dial *data# and hit send or talk it will send you a free txt msg showing your usage as often as you want to check. You can also dial 611 and listen for the option to check usage amount. The last way to check is by creating/signing in to your mywireless account at www.att.com/wireless this will allow you to check your usage as well. There was a report that came out that showed that 97% of people use under 2GB of usage so unless your in the 3% who does you will benefit from the lower price.

Message 141 of 149 (352 Views)

Re: Unlimited data on smartphones to be changed to 2 Gigabyte cap with overage fees June 7th

I am considering going on a blackberry  plan  and was wondering with the new changes with the data be rolled over to the next month if you don't use it all or will it be back to the 200mb each month. I haven't read through this whole thead yet. Sorry if this question has been already asked before.

Message 142 of 149 (335 Views)
Guru

coolchick200583 wrote:

I am considering going on a blackberry  plan  and was wondering with the new changes with the data be rolled over to the next month if you don't use it all or will it be back to the 200mb each month. I haven't read through this whole thead yet. Sorry if this question has been already asked before.

Data is a Use It or Lose It. Data does not rollover

Message 143 of 149 (330 Views)

ok thanks for the info.

Message 144 of 149 (326 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

Re: 3G Unlimited Plan Retired - The Real Truth Behind It

Planet-Ed wrote:

Most of the this persons article was just pure crud. Doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. I about spit up my coffee laughing at the comment on how exchange is checking mail. Obvoiusly has no clue how excha ge works. The only real valid point was the bait-n-switch on advertisiing data plans and pricing for the iPad as a selling point only to turn around one month later and change it after everyone had already gotten them expecting a price to pay for that model.

I'm very familiar with Exchange & it's protocols. However, iPhone's OS delivers it's PUSH technology with Exchange by constantly checking for new calendar appointments, contacts & emails. This has nothing to do with Exchange; it's merely how the iPhone OS interacts with it.

Message 145 of 149 (323 Views)
Scholar

Neihn wrote:

coolchick200583 wrote:

Data is a Use It or Lose It. Data does not rollover

Same statement could be made for voice, yet there are roll over minutes.  This would soften the blow of such a low limit of 200MB

Message 146 of 149 (309 Views)
Tutor

I am currently on a BB unlimited data plan and expect to switch to a Dell Streak this month. I assumed I could keep my unlimited plan for a few months to see how it goes before switching to a different plan, but after reading this thread, not sure that is true.

The big unknown for me is Wifi. My Blackberry doesn't have wifi, so my monthly usage (about 250Mb) is higher. With the new plans, Wifi usage is FREE, so if the new device can stay on Wifi networks, I can lower my cost to the $15/month charge. I have Wifi at home and at work, so my only 3G usage would be while I am in transit.

The other bigger unknown is the future. As these devices become more and more powerful, they will by default use more and more data. Average usage of 250MB today may translate into 1G in a couple of years, etc.  But I assume most usage would be on a Wifi network, so maybe it isn't a big deal, unless AT&T decides to start charging for Wifi usage too?

Message 147 of 149 (277 Views)
Expert

nb_mitch wrote:

I am currently on a BB unlimited data plan and expect to switch to a Dell Streak this month. I assumed I could keep my unlimited plan for a few months to see how it goes before switching to a different plan, but after reading this thread, not sure that is true.

The big unknown for me is Wifi. My Blackberry doesn't have wifi, so my monthly usage (about 250Mb) is higher. With the new plans, Wifi usage is FREE, so if the new device can stay on Wifi networks, I can lower my cost to the $15/month charge. I have Wifi at home and at work, so my only 3G usage would be while I am in transit.

The other bigger unknown is the future. As these devices become more and more powerful, they will by default use more and more data. Average usage of 250MB today may translate into 1G in a couple of years, etc.  But I assume most usage would be on a Wifi network, so maybe it isn't a big deal, unless AT&T decides to start charging for Wifi usage too?

with business conferences via a webex Iphone app and some other customized Iphone apps for my business we average close to 4+ gb a month on each of the phones, so it is already there

Message 148 of 149 (260 Views)
Master

If you have and keep unlimited data on your device, you will be able to keep it if you upgrade to a new device.  If you switch to a capped plan for any reason (like tethering), your unlimited data is gone forever.

AT&T can't charge for wi-fi usage.  Not sure how this rumor keeps getting restarted.  You can put your phone in airplane mode or take the SIM out and manually turn on wi-fi and use it.  AT&T has no control over your wi-fi.

nb_mitch wrote:

Message 149 of 149 (250 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.