Unlimited data on smartphones to be changed to 2 Gigabyte cap with overage fees June 7th

Tutor

Unlimited data on smartphones to be changed to 2 Gigabyte cap with overage fees June 7th

[ Edited ]

Here is the link to the article: http://gizmodo.com/5553135/att-iphone-tethering-an-extra-20month

Those of us with unlimited data for our smartphones pay $30 per phone, on-top of voice, text, features, etc.

Well AT&T will remove the unlimited data option and offer these choice instead.

• DataPlus. Provides 200 megabytes (MB) of data for $15. If you go over this, you will be charged $15 and granted another 200MB.  To give you an idea how bad this is, currently you pay $30 for "unlimited" data where they will possibly throttle after 5 Gigabyte if you are an excessive user. Now if you use that same 5 Gigabytes, you will pay $375 for that one month for just that data alone (for one phone). Granted yes, if you only use 200 MB, it will only be $15 for data per phone...but why would you have a smartphone in the first place if you weren't going to use the data? (Smartphone plans are more expensive than regular phones and you would be better off with a normal phone.... 200MB is very easy to burn through. I use about 400MB a day, but that is me). If you use slacker radio, pandora, podcasts, youtube a lot, or download binary files...this isn't for you.
  • DataPro. Provides 2 gigabytes (GB) of data $25. If you go over this, you will be charged $10 and granted an additional 1 Gigabyte. This plan is far more accomadating and reasonable (although still a rip, considering other countries over 30 Gigabyte caps and then only throttle you if you go over..while offering tethering for free at the same time). Using the same example above. If you use 5 gigabyte you will only pay $55 per offending phone on top of regular features.

• Tethering. Smartphone customers – including iPhone customers – who choose the DataPro plan have the option to add tethering for an additional $20 per month. Tethering lets customers use their tethering-enabled smartphones as a modem to provide a broadband connection for laptop computers, netbooks or other computing devices. Tethering for iPhones will be available when Apple releases iPhone OS 4 this summer.

I am glad AT&T incorporate this, however $20 for something that cost them nothing? If there is already a bandwidth cap imposed that doesn't increase from purchasing the tethering option, this option should be free. In other countries this option is free and in fact would benefit the company if we went over our cap with more fees. In fact it is dangerously easy to go over while tethering because a non-computer savvy person may accidently have their computer to "automatically check for updates" and that will eat up a good chunk (if not all) in just one night.

If I am misinformed, please correct me naturally in a polite way. I actually almost have my degree in computer science and am extremely familiar in the types of technology cell carriers use, especially AT&T and their HSDPA network. They actually take pains to "remove" the tethering features in their phones that is supported in other countries. From a business standpoint I can understand them removing tethering on their phones who have an "unlimited" plan. But it is ridiculous to impose tethering fees when a badnwidth cap is already in place that involves "fees" instead of "throttling" when one goes over PER phone.

The company already capitalizes on text messaging charging $30 for unlimited text (or .20 cents per SMS if you don't choose a plan) when each text message (often below even 1KB in size) cost them less than a fourth of a penny as it is.

I am posting this to inform my fellow subscribers, but mainly to hear your opinions. Please try not to be biased, or extremely angry that I do not like this idea. Please don't tell me things like "If you don't like it, leave". As this doesn't solve the problem, perhaps if AT&T sees what people think we "the consumer" will actually be noticed..even if nothing is done (more than likely) at least we were heard.

Message 4 of 149 (1,805 Views)
Mentor

Re: Will I loose my unlimited Data Plan?

[ Edited ]

Well if somone is planning on using a Streak most of the time like a tablet then they had better have lots of Wifi access unless they "grandfathered" in with an unlimited plan. Then again I am going to be be darn sure IF I DO stay with AT&T that I can really keep my unlimited plan before I am stuck with them for two more years! I am sort of not getting as excited about the Streak anymore Smiley Sad

Message 106 of 149 (474 Views)
Mentor

Re: Unlimited data on smartphones to be changed to 2 Gigabyte cap with overage fees June 7th

wingrider01 wrote:

mejc2383 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

derrickmaynard wrote:

uh uh, i signed a 2yr contract under the assumption i could use my data plan UNLIMITED anytime day/night... now 4 weeks into it they announce a CAP? I SAY GET OUT AND GET A BLACKBERRY FROM VERIZON...!!!!!!!!!!   this should be a breach of contract from at&t's side, we cant change the contract w/out being punished neither should they... once it happens im filing a FCC claim and possible lawsuit ..........

You might try actually reading the entire release before flying off the handle. If you already have the unlimited plan you will not be changed, you are grandfathered in. Go ahead and file with the FCC and raise the funds to pay for a lawyer, but it might be cheaper to read the whole thing first, that and some of the otehr posts in the varioous threads concerning it

By letting keep the plan for now they technically didn't breech the contract. However the problem is that if you change anything you loose it, the phones and plans we have now aren't going to last forever, eventually we'll have to upgrade, to newer phones, or our situations will change, and we'll need new plans, and we'll loose our data plans as a result. 4g is coming and so are more data intense devices, and asa prelude to this, to cut all the hype in half, they limit our data plans. It's a bad move, whether or not I use all my data today at this moment is irrelevant. You never know what tomorrow will bring, I use about 1.5gb or less a month, however if something changes at my job, and I need more I'm left with no option. Instead of allowing myself to become trapped, I like to be prepared, and also don't like having to babysit my own data usage thus the reason for purchasing unlimited data. I will leave at&t forever in June, I don't go back to a company when they screw me like this. I switched from at&t in the first place to cingular after I had come to them from Sprint. However cingular was bought by at&t and I was sucked back in. With this move at&t has reminded me why I left in the first place, and should have trusted my intial instinct to bail as soon as they bought out cingular. This is what I get for trying to ride things out, and giving at&t a second chance.

The FAQS state that if you upgrade smartphone to smartphone you can retain the unlimited plan, if you downgrade to a limited plan, add a new smartphone, remove the current smartphone and add back after the  7th you are required to get one of the new packages.

exactly what i was saying. If you change anything, you loose it, the only way you keep it is by keeping everything the same. I'm married and have recently started a family, I'll be adding lines within the next year for my kids as they get into highschool, and will be traveling back and forth i don't want to have to worry about them being on the internet too long, or forgetting that media net was running in the background. i also don't want to turn off their data completely.  Also for the last year 1/2 i had a smartphone that recently stopped functioning, rather than pay the insurance at 5$ a month which for that time period would have cost me 90$. what i did was simply buy a go phone and use that in the mean time, which cost me only 40$ saving me money, had i know this was going to happen i would have just stuck with a smart phone, or ponied up the dough to pay for  early upgrade. instead i now payed for the go phone, went to a lower data plan, and now I'm trapped, unless i pay for an early upgrade on top of the 40$ i already spent only a month ago. This is complete garbage, they should have let us know more than 5 days ahead of time, even if it is only 3% of us using a large chunk of the network at least have enough respect for us to allow us at least a month to adjust, and prepare ourselves.

Message 107 of 149 (450 Views)
Voyager

Re: Unlimited data on smartphones to be changed to 2 Gigabyte cap with overage fees June 7th

Recently I noted worsening in the work of 3G Internet. Now I understood the problem. Instead of working at an improvement in the speed and quality, i.e., to invest money on new equipment and so on, AT&T went along another lighter way: without the additional expenditures it is simple to limit the use of the Internet and to take additional charge from the users. AT&T forgets that they are not the only one wireless provider. I have been AT&T customer for about 18 years (Cellular One, Cingular), but cup overfilled and I seriously think about Verizon. iPhone? Firstly: newest Droid is not anything worse than iPhone; secondly: in the near future iPhone will be also available for Verizon. I wish for AT&T to lose as much as possible customers.

Bye-bye AT&T!

Message 108 of 149 (448 Views)

Alex K wrote:

Recently I noted worsening in the work of 3G Internet. Now I understood the problem. Instead of working at an improvement in the speed and quality, i.e., to invest money on new equipment and so on, AT&T went along another lighter way: without the additional expenditures it is simple to limit the use of the Internet and to take additional charge from the users. AT&T forgets that they are not the only one wireless provider. I have been AT&T customer for about 18 years (Cellular One, Cingular), but cup overfilled and I seriously think about Verizon. iPhone? Firstly: newest Droid is not anything worse than iPhone; secondly: in the near future iPhone will be also available for Verizon. I wish for AT&T to lose as much as possible customers.

Bye-bye AT&T!

to those of you that are complaining about network issues, slow data, blah blah... you seriously would be changing your tune if you could understand the reasons why this is happening. and verizon getting the iphone? even if the iphone went to another carrier unfortunately it would have just as many issues as AT&T has with it, if not more!... actually probably worse. jobs even said it himself!

you just watch.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 109 of 149 (427 Views)
Mentor

lol.. Watch Verizon get iphone and quality of service fall..

or tmobile XD

Not defending at&t here.. but, realistically the iphone is very much the hummer phone..

Message 110 of 149 (423 Views)
Teacher

One thing I noticed about my backflip is that it doesn't always connect to my wireless network(s). The signal strength of my networks are allways fantastic but I have to remeber to tell the phone to connect to them becuase it doesn't always do so. It fails to do so automatically most of the time even though I have the phone configured to do so. They might want to look into that as a way to help with the 3g traffic.

I have only been with AT&T for a couple months so I get the unlimited data. So far I use about 100Meg or less. That might change once I get android 2.1, but I don't expect to use more than 500 or 600 megs. I don't need to or intend to tether the phone for any reason I can think of  so I could save $5 by going to the 2gig plan. I wish they had a plan that was in between the 2 plans. $15 for 200Meg to $25 for 2 Gig doesn't even make sense really. I think their data tier is a bit messed up and offers little reward for being frugal with data usage.

My real concern about AT&T is the charges for things that others enjoy for free: like true hands free dialing (Strike1). GPS turn by turn navigation (Strike 2). Having to pay for "Where" and a few other things. Now this.

I'm gonna have a real close look at the differences between AT&T and the even-more-evil Verizon. Not getting Android 2.1 on my backflip before year end will be the final straw.

Message 111 of 149 (540 Views)
Mentor

kissyfacemommy wrote:

Alex K wrote:

Bye-bye AT&T!

to those of you that are complaining about network issues, slow data, blah blah... you seriously would be changing your tune if you could understand the reasons why this is happening. and verizon getting the iphone? even if the iphone went to another carrier unfortunately it would have just as many issues as AT&T has with it, if not more!... actually probably worse. jobs even said it himself!

you just watch.

This response is for you and all others blaming the i phone for at&t's network "problems". No one force them to get the iphone, infact they made a big push on their own to carry the iphone exclusively. Then advertised the phone and it's data intesive features to death. They created this monster now they have to feed it, thats all there is to it. Cutting unlimited data at any point is ridiculous, and if verizon follows suit they will be just as wrong, for carrying the even better than the iphone droid. at&t already trailed in the phone department, being the last major carrier on the boat with many phones such as the palm pre, they only advantage they had was the ability to switch phones on the fly via sim cards, their overall coverage (not just 3g) and of course the iphone was their homerun hitter. Well now they took the bat out of the batters hands and are still asking for homeruns, and I'm telling you it won't happen.

Message 112 of 149 (520 Views)
Contributor

I was planning on upgrading my phone to a Blackberry when my contracted ends this September.  I still plan on doing so, but it will not be with AT&T!  I do not care if I am a little better off with the new price structure, I do not want the potential of getting large bills due to the fact my usage is unusually high some months.  I only have a cell phone (no landline) and have not gone over my minutes in my 18 months with AT&T.  I chose a plan that gave me all the minutes I needed.  The only way I will get a smart phone is with unlimited data. 

So AT&T, go ahead and dump the unlimited data and I will go elsewhere for service when my contract is up.

Message 114 of 149 (513 Views)
Expert

SKP1108 wrote:

I was planning on upgrading my phone to a Blackberry when my contracted ends this September.  I still plan on doing so, but it will not be with AT&T!  I do not care if I am a little better off with the new price structure, I do not want the potential of getting large bills due to the fact my usage is unusually high some months.  I only have a cell phone (no landline) and have not gone over my minutes in my 18 months with AT&T.  I chose a plan that gave me all the minutes I needed.  The only way I will get a smart phone is with unlimited data. 

So AT&T, go ahead and dump the unlimited data and I will go elsewhere for service when my contract is up.

Better do it fast, suspect that verizon and sprint will not be to far behind on htis pricing structure, Verizon's top brass have already publicly stated they are in favor of getting rid of unlimited data

Message 115 of 149 (502 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

3G Unlimited Plan Retired - The Real Truth Behind It

[ Edited ]

There's really no two ways about this situation.

Smiley Sad

{Please keep it spam-free}

iPad 3G is Sad, . . . Very Sad.

Message 113 of 149 (528 Views)
Master

There is so much wrong with this post, I'm not entirely sure where to begin.

People are conflating what they term the fourth generation iPhone (despite what Apple considers it) with fourth generation cell phone technology.  The forthcoming iPhone will be a GSM/UMTS phone, like its predecessors.

4G is NOT known as WiMax.  That is a fourth-generation cellular technology being deployed by Sprint.  All the other major carriers are going with a fourth-generation technology known as Long Term Evolution (LTE).  AT&T will not be deploying WiMax, and I predict they will not re-instate the unlimited plan when they implement LTE.

We have no idea what's going to happen to the data plans for dumbphones, but I wouldn't be shocked to see them go away eventually.

Snow_Fox wrote:

Ok.. I have a few thoughts on this towars everyone..

A. I wouldn't freak out about 4g yet.. 4g is whats known as "WiMax" and if it isn't unlimited with a given fee..  If at&t doesn't give an unlimited 4g data option.. odds are its time to move to another carrier anyway.. Unless they develop a newer version of 4g that is somehow better..

B.  What about dumbphones?

is there still gunna be an "unlimited data" for dumb phones? or at the least are the "unlimited dumbphone data" plans gunna be grandfathered in too?

Cause ALOT of dumbphone users may end up mad as dumbphones use more data.. but, not enough to warrant the 25$ 2 gig limit..

as someone else stated.. 45$ for 600 MB is a ripoff.. BUT, then that leaves 1.4 gigs.. OVER HALF of what your paying for wasted with the 25$ plan :/

Message 116 of 149 (491 Views)
Master

Re: Will I loose my unlimited Data Plan?

We can't really answer this one, because there have been mixed messages regarding how that would work.  I would suspect you would not be able to keep the unlimited data plan since they are different feature codes in AT&T's system, but I could be wrong.

labrat1996 wrote:

So if I upgrade my first generation I-Phone that currently has the $20 unlimited data plan to a Dell Streak later this Summer, will I be able to get an unlimited plan for the Streak for $30? I used 2.5 gig last month on my Iphone. The Wi-fi at home is weak in my bedroom so I end up using Edge a lot at home. If I can't get unlimited, I may jump ship to Sprint for the EVO since I am off contract. Maybe it's a good thing I have been holding out for a good Android phone!

Message 117 of 149 (491 Views)
Scholar

And when a user gets close to their 200MB cap, do they have control over stopping the data use?  What if it's the middle of the month, I get my email/text that I'm close to my cap,  I decide I don't want to use at&t's data and I don't want to be charged another $15?

Message 118 of 149 (471 Views)
Master

Re: 3G Unlimited Plan Retired - The Real Truth Behind It

[ Edited ]

FireFish wrote:

Smiley Sad

{Please keep it spam-free}

Most of the this persons article was just pure crud. Doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. I about spit up my coffee laughing at the comment on how exchange is checking mail. Obvoiusly has no clue how excha ge works. The only real valid point was the bait-n-switch on advertisiing data plans and pricing for the iPad as a selling point only to turn around one month later and change it after everyone had already gotten them expecting a price to pay for that model.

Message 119 of 149 (471 Views)
Expert

Re: 3G Unlimited Plan Retired - The Real Truth Behind It

[ Edited ]

Planet-Ed wrote:

FireFish wrote:

Smiley Sad

{ Please keep it spam free }

Most of the this persons article was just pure crud. Doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. I about spit up my coffee laughing at the comment on how exchange is checking mail. Obvoiusly has no clue how exchange works. The only real valid point was the bait-n-switch on advertisiing data plans and pricing for the iPad as a selling point only to turn around one month later and change it after everyone had already gotten them expecting a price to pay for that model. 

I agree completely, Have you also noticed that this user has been posting this throughout the forums since yesterday.....

Message 120 of 149 (441 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.