Unlimited Data Question

Contributor

Unlimited Data Question

I am debating between switching to the unlimitted plan at Sprint or staying with AT&T unlimitted.  Does anyone happen to know what the upcoming speed reductions will look like?  At what level of usage are they going to start reducing speed?  2G, 4G, 6G? Top 2% usage is just too vague. Also, will they reduce us all the way down to EDGE or just lower 3G speeds?

Message 1 of 31 (1,020 Views)
Master

Re: Unlimited Data Question

alpat wrote:

I am debating between switching to the unlimitted plan at Sprint or staying with AT&T unlimitted.  Does anyone happen to know what the upcoming speed reductions will look like?  At what level of usage are they going to start reducing speed?  2G, 4G, 6G? Top 2% usage is just too vague. Also, will they reduce us all the way down to EDGE or just lower 3G speeds?

Unfortunetly you will not see the same data speeds with Sprints iPhone 4S than you do with AT&T's. Sprints network does not support HSPA+  on their 4S the way AT&T does. Here's a demo video that clearly shows Sprint to be the slowest of all three networks using the iPhone 4S. http://youtu.be/wd7taHnHzcg

Message 16 of 31 (445 Views)
Mentor

Actually according to one of your tech guys your flagged if you go over 2 gig. The top 5% of users is whatever ATT says it is. As far as hours of video and all the other stuff, on average if you send about 1500 text and emails and view about 400 web pages you can watch almost 3 hours of video a month and your over your 2 gigs. Not sure where ATT gets there numbers from but they arent correct and are an extreme exageration. Im on the road constantly for work and in the middle of construction sites so i use a lot of face time and i use 10 gigs a month with no tethering and only using i company website to upload and transmit data. So dont buy into everything they tell you. AS far as being able to use the internet or anything after they throttle you, well you can kiss that good bye. Fastest i have got so far is 0.16 up and 0.86 down. Cant open a web page with those kinds of speeds so it times out. Personally go with sprint, atleast they give you a soft cap number instead of making one up. This is directed towards you jamileh in a hateful way cause i know your just doing your job. Sorry if it sounded that way.
Message 17 of 31 (417 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

jachmar15 wrote:
Actually according to one of your tech guys your flagged if you go over 2 gig. The top 5% of users is whatever ATT says it is. As far as hours of video and all the other stuff, on average if you send about 1500 text and emails and view about 400 web pages you can watch almost 3 hours of video a month and your over your 2 gigs. Not sure where ATT gets there numbers from but they arent correct and are an extreme exageration. Im on the road constantly for work and in the middle of construction sites so i use a lot of face time and i use 10 gigs a month with no tethering and only using i company website to upload and transmit data. So dont buy into everything they tell you. AS far as being able to use the internet or anything after they throttle you, well you can kiss that good bye. Fastest i have got so far is 0.16 up and 0.86 down. Cant open a web page with those kinds of speeds so it times out. Personally go with sprint, atleast they give you a soft cap number instead of making one up. This is directed towards you jamileh in a hateful way cause i know your just doing your job. Sorry if it sounded that way.

You are text messaged when you start getting close to your limit, and again when you have passed that limit, as a service to you in order to let you know that you're at risk of paying additional charges. This came about as the result of CTIA carriers avoluntarily agreeing to do it in order to avoid the FCC mandating it.

This does NOT mean that you are among the top 5% of users and are at risk of being throttled. Those users are mostly AFAIK folks with unlimited data plans who download FAR more than 2GB per month.

Message 18 of 31 (410 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

First that OP was suppose to say this ISNT directed at you.....Sorry for the type there.
I am one of those unlimited users who is being throttled. Hence i know you cant use the internet and my upload and download megs are so slow. Due to work i usually about 10-12 gigs a month depending on whats going on. So yes that does mean im in there top 5% made up number that they use...........So much for being my nations fastest network.  {Please keep it courteous}

Message 19 of 31 (393 Views)
Guru

jachmar15 wrote:

What does using Facetime have anything to do with the amount of (non-wifi) data you use each month...not unless you're tacitly admitting that your phone is jailbroken since it is not possible to use Facetime over a cellular network unless you've installed a third-party app that is capable of tricking data-consuming apps (like Facetime) into thinking that they're connected over wifi...and the only way to get such an app on your phone is if you jailbroke it.

Message 20 of 31 (365 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. The iphone was a hunk of junk if it wasnt jailbroken. Why do you think i switched over to an android phone last week. Before you give me a spill about how ohh thats illegal and you cant do that blah blah blah, that battle has already been lost. ATT wont even tell you that you cant anymore, they just tell you that it voids the warranty. And if you {please keep it courteous} do a little research you can learn how to use facetime without even jailbreaking your phone. Ever heard of skype or tango?  So im not real sure what your post has to do with anything.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Message 21 of 31 (521 Views)
Mentor

And another thing, I was arguing the fact of the numbers of how many text and emails and such you can send according to all the ATT people.  They tell you hundreds upon hundreds of email and hundereds of text and hours upon hours.  In real life, 10 normal emails a day, 10 emails with attachments, 1 hour of pandora a day, and 20 minutes of youtube a day with no web pages viewed, app, games or songs dowloaded or facebook/myspace photos uploaded and your at 2gigs............

Message 22 of 31 (511 Views)
Contributor

hi thank for the reply i wonder if the price may change let me know thanks
ps. how about the texting
Message 23 of 31 (477 Views)
Guru

jachmar15 wrote:

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. The iphone was a hunk of junk if it wasnt jailbroken. Why do you think i switched over to an android phone last week. Before you give me a spill about how ohh thats illegal and you cant do that blah blah blah, that battle has already been lost. ATT wont even tell you that you cant anymore, they just tell you that it voids the warranty. And if you {please keep it courteous} do a little research you can learn how to use facetime without even jailbreaking your phone. Ever heard of skype or tango?  So im not real sure what your post has to do with anything.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

In response to your reply about how to do Facetime w/o jailbreaking--yes there are ways to do so, but require either, 1) a (factory)-unlocked Facetime-capable iPhone, or 2) enabling the Personal Hotspot feature (which BTW isn't free), tethering another Facetime-capable iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch to it, then Facetiming from said tethered device.  Quite frankly, neither of those two methods are practical since both require additional financial expenditure (purchase or possess a factory-unlocked iPhone--not cheap BTW, or enable Personal Hotspot ($45/month) and also have an additional Facetime-capable device at your disposal)...whereas jailbreaking and using a third-party app costs a few bucks (the cost of said third-party app--I am not aware of any free apps out there that can trick an app into thinking that it's on wifi--if there are, then it'll cost you nothing to use Facetime over 3G via jailbreak).

And BTW--I was referring to Facetime the app, not "facetime" in the generic sense; I am aware of apps like Skype and Tango, but would not view using them as "facetime".

Message 24 of 31 (451 Views)
Mentor

tonester wrote:

In response to your reply about how to do Facetime w/o jailbreaking--yes there are ways to do so, but require either, 1) a (factory)-unlocked Facetime-capable iPhone, or 2) enabling the Personal Hotspot feature (which BTW isn't free), tethering another Facetime-capable iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch to it, then Facetiming from said tethered device.  Quite frankly, neither of those two methods are practical since both require additional financial expenditure (purchase or possess a factory-unlocked iPhone--not cheap BTW, or enable Personal Hotspot ($45/month) and also have an additional Facetime-capable device at your disposal)...whereas jailbreaking and using a third-party app costs a few bucks (the cost of said third-party app--I am not aware of any free apps out there that can trick an app into thinking that it's on wifi--if there are, then it'll cost you nothing to use Facetime over 3G via jailbreak).

And BTW--I was referring to Facetime the app, not "facetime" in the generic sense; I am aware of apps like Skype and Tango, but would not view using them as "facetime".

All you have to do is get cydia, dl the right resource and you can trick everything on your phone into thinking its on wifi for free which was nice to have when you had to update an app or anything and you needed wifi and i wasnt available.  There are also resources to use that will just let you pick on yor applications you have dl to think they are on wifi at all times. I think the 3g unrestrictor app is now free also.   Only thing i ever paid for there was a couple of ROM's.  But the iphone is gone now.  No point in paying money for a phone for it not to do half the stuff an android can. 

Message 25 of 31 (439 Views)
Master

jachmar15 wrote:

tonester wrote:

All you have to do is get cydia, dl the right resource and you can trick everything on your phone into thinking its on wifi for free which was nice to have when you had to update an app or anything and you needed wifi and i wasnt available.  There are also resources to use that will just let you pick on yor applications you have dl to think they are on wifi at all times. I think the 3g unrestrictor app is now free also.   Only thing i ever paid for there was a couple of ROM's.  But the iphone is gone now.  No point in paying money for a phone for it not to do half the stuff an android can. 

There is nothing wrong with Jaibreaking but if you follow this advice, read about it and understand the risks and rewards and don't just accept that it is easy!  Know why you are doing and know what could go wrong and how you may have to recover from it.  Know that even the authores provide some warning!  It is right for some and not for others and that is OK.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 26 of 31 (415 Views)

I'm still curious as to what this has to do with the Sprint unlimited vs. AT&T unlimited plan vs. the cost of a bagel in Timbuktu? Sprint's plan, on average, is slower than AT&T's plan. Sprint allegedly won't throttle heavy users. iOS or Android, people who use 10 or 15 (or 17, as 1 poster claimed last month) GB of data on AT&T's unlimited plan are going to be throttled.

jachmar15 wrote:

tonester wrote:

Message 27 of 31 (409 Views)
Mentor

The point is even if the network speeds are slower they are a lot faster than a 0.16 dl speed when your throttled.  Not sure whats so hard to udnerstand about that.  Read the entire thread next time and not just the end of it.............

Message 28 of 31 (381 Views)
Expert

jachmar15 wrote:

The point is even if the network speeds are slower they are a lot faster than a 0.16 dl speed when your throttled.  Not sure whats so hard to udnerstand about that.  Read the entire thread next time and not just the end of it.............

additonal point - other carriers throttle also - read the fair use policy

Message 29 of 31 (369 Views)

Read the entire thread. You seem to have this chip on your shoulder and/or think you're smarter than everyone else. Three of the four major carriers either don't sell limited data anymore and/or throttle heavy users. Sprint is the lone holdout. If you NEED to use 10GB of data a month (of which I am very sceptical), you either need to be prepared to pay for it (i.e., move to a tiered plan so you won't be throttled) or move to Sprint. That kind of usage veers into broadband Internet device territory, and even when AT&T sold unlimited plans for those they did so with the caveat that they weren't meant to replace home Internet connections, as many people discovered the hard way.

Am I happy about this? No. I think the lack of competition in the wireless industry has directly led to this situation, but until the government steps in and starts forcing carriers to divest customers or break up, it's not going to change.

jachmar15 wrote:

Message 30 of 31 (359 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.