Posted Jun 18, 2010
11:06:00 AM
View profile
Unlimited Data Plans

According to ATT, the unlimited data plan was to expensive for some people and very few would use that much data.  Hence why they have the 2GB plan, but I feel they did that to make more money.  Do you guys think 2GB will be enough space per month?  

Can you please give feedback on your past data usage?

Thanks

According to ATT, the unlimited data plan was to expensive for some people and very few would use that much data.  Hence why they have the 2GB plan, but I feel they did that to make more money.  Do you guys think 2GB will be enough space per month?  

Can you please give feedback on your past data usage?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone 4, powered by iOS 4.3.1.

Unlimited Data Plans

37 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(37)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 11:08:06 AM
(0)
Tutor

I stream a lot of music and e-mail a lot each day. I will download apps if they are under 10 MB on 3g. The most I have used in one month is around 800 mb.

I would say save the 5 bucks and downgrade your account.

I stream a lot of music and e-mail a lot each day. I will download apps if they are under 10 MB on 3g. The most I have used in one month is around 800 mb.

I would say save the 5 bucks and downgrade your account.

Re: Unlimited Data Plans

2 of 38 (1,633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 11:10:30 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Jun 18, 2010 at 11:11:01 AM

They should have just left it as it is, or make it $30 for 5GB instead of 2GB. Everyone else is $30 for 5GB.

2GB is the most I do nowadays. I don't have time to watch live stream videos as many don't either. MMO and Farm games are my top usage.

They should have just left it as it is, or make it $30 for 5GB instead of 2GB. Everyone else is $30 for 5GB.

2GB is the most I do nowadays. I don't have time to watch live stream videos as many don't either. MMO and Farm games are my top usage.

[ Edited ]
3 of 38 (1,628 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 11:43:54 AM
(0)
Scholar

What's MMO and Farm?

When I talked to a lady @ ATT in Business support, she streams music all day and in her car too and told me that she rarely gets to 2Gb.

I do have the 200Mb plan as I don't want to spend more $$ then I need to.  I also have the unlimited TXT plan, which IMO is a farce.  It should be included in the data plan, but I know its uses the voice communication path way and not the data.  But I still feel my wallet is being r*ped. 

What's MMO and Farm?

When I talked to a lady @ ATT in Business support, she streams music all day and in her car too and told me that she rarely gets to 2Gb.

I do have the 200Mb plan as I don't want to spend more $$ then I need to.  I also have the unlimited TXT plan, which IMO is a farce.  It should be included in the data plan, but I know its uses the voice communication path way and not the data.  But I still feel my wallet is being r*ped. 

4 of 38 (1,581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 18, 2010 11:47:55 AM
(0)
Mentor

When I asked the sales person when I ordered my IPhone what he would recommend. I told him that I listed to radio stations on my phone. He suggested to keep my unlimited data plan. The cost is not that much more than the next lowest data plan is.

When I asked the sales person when I ordered my IPhone what he would recommend. I told him that I listed to radio stations on my phone. He suggested to keep my unlimited data plan. The cost is not that much more than the next lowest data plan is.

5 of 38 (1,567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 11:50:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

@Wednesday

I disagree. If you never reach any where near the 2 GB cap for the data plan with normal data usage, why would spend the extra 5 bucks? I have the last year of usage tracked and I haven't gone over 800 mb in a year. This leads me to believe that I never will go over 2 gb.

Its easy to find this information on your account.

@Wednesday

I disagree. If you never reach any where near the 2 GB cap for the data plan with normal data usage, why would spend the extra 5 bucks? I have the last year of usage tracked and I haven't gone over 800 mb in a year. This leads me to believe that I never will go over 2 gb.

Its easy to find this information on your account.

6 of 38 (1,552 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 11:56:28 AM
(0)
Guru

datoad wrote:

What's MMO and Farm?

MMO = Multiplayer Massive Online

Farm = Referred to farm games like Farmville from Facebook

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

datoad wrote:

What's MMO and Farm?

MMO = Multiplayer Massive Online

Farm = Referred to farm games like Farmville from Facebook

7 of 38 (1,538 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 12:02:05 PM
(0)
Mentor

my boyfriend used 3.5 GB in a year, that's plentiful :smileyhappy:

8 of 38 (1,523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 12:09:03 PM
(0)
Professor
I've been pretty consistent at between 500 - 600 MB / month.
I've been pretty consistent at between 500 - 600 MB / month.

9 of 38 (1,515 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 12:22:01 PM
(0)
Scholar

500 - 600mb/month?

What do you do with your iPhone?  The difference is so great...  200MB or 2 GB...  Shouldn't be more like 500MB and 2GB?

To be honest, am I really making this a major concern?  Since Unlimited is not an option for me (new to the iPhone world) I don't want to send and extra $5 ($60/year) if I don't have to.  I'm already spending an additional $20 for unlimited txting.

500 - 600mb/month?

What do you do with your iPhone?  The difference is so great...  200MB or 2 GB...  Shouldn't be more like 500MB and 2GB?

To be honest, am I really making this a major concern?  Since Unlimited is not an option for me (new to the iPhone world) I don't want to send and extra $5 ($60/year) if I don't have to.  I'm already spending an additional $20 for unlimited txting.

10 of 38 (1,493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 2:43:04 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
When I first heard the details of the data plan changes I was a little concerned, so I checked on my usage. I can only go back about 16 months into my 20 months of this contract but in that entire time I have used less than 6GB of data total. My largest single month was just under 800 MB usage. Granted, I don't stream a lot of audio, nor do I tend to watch lots of YouTube videos. I also leave my wifi on all the time to use that when possible to improve my performance. Still, with all my concerns, I don't think I have to worry about the 2GB limit, until I enable tethering and start using it, that is...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
When I first heard the details of the data plan changes I was a little concerned, so I checked on my usage. I can only go back about 16 months into my 20 months of this contract but in that entire time I have used less than 6GB of data total. My largest single month was just under 800 MB usage. Granted, I don't stream a lot of audio, nor do I tend to watch lots of YouTube videos. I also leave my wifi on all the time to use that when possible to improve my performance. Still, with all my concerns, I don't think I have to worry about the 2GB limit, until I enable tethering and start using it, that is...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 38 (893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 2:47:45 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by datoad on Jun 18, 2010 at 2:48:07 PM

Being a newbie with the iPhone.  Can you leave Wi-Fi on all the time?  Will it automatically switch when there is no Wi-Fi available?  Also, how secure do you feel when you use other people's (not at home) Wi-Fi?

Being a newbie with the iPhone.  Can you leave Wi-Fi on all the time?  Will it automatically switch when there is no Wi-Fi available?  Also, how secure do you feel when you use other people's (not at home) Wi-Fi?

[ Edited ]
12 of 38 (887 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 3:33:52 PM
(0)
Expert

acuramimi wrote:

use that an more in a month, but primary use is business

acuramimi wrote:

use that an more in a month, but primary use is business

13 of 38 (856 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 3:35:53 PM
(0)
Scholar

What are you doing to use more then 3.5GB/month?  Must be a lot of emails and YouTube which you are flying around.

What are you doing to use more then 3.5GB/month?  Must be a lot of emails and YouTube which you are flying around.

14 of 38 (853 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 3:41:28 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jun 18, 2010 at 3:50:24 PM

datoad wrote:

you tube has never been accessed on the phone, don;t waste data on something like that

WebEx meetings

Exchange email pushes for business w/ large attachments

Access to the corporate business site

Personal email pushes

Plus anytihng else I need to do to run my business when I am out of the office - and that is frequently. also that is only on the ATT line, I also carry smartphones from Sprint and Verizon depending on where in the country I am going to be at

datoad wrote:

you tube has never been accessed on the phone, don;t waste data on something like that

WebEx meetings

Exchange email pushes for business w/ large attachments

Access to the corporate business site

Personal email pushes

Plus anytihng else I need to do to run my business when I am out of the office - and that is frequently. also that is only on the ATT line, I also carry smartphones from Sprint and Verizon depending on where in the country I am going to be at

[ Edited ]
15 of 38 (850 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 3:48:22 PM
(0)
Professor

datoad wrote:

Yes, it will automatically use 3G when it's not connected to Wi-Fi.

datoad wrote:

16 of 38 (838 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 3:53:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

Got it!  So I take it you have unlimited data?  Will that be grandfathered in if you already have it?

Got it!  So I take it you have unlimited data?  Will that be grandfathered in if you already have it?

17 of 38 (829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 3:54:33 PM
(0)
Scholar

dwill05 wrote:

datoad wrote:

How secure is Wi-Fi?  Do you do your banking and other personal things via Wi-Fi?  Ever had any problems?

dwill05 wrote:

datoad wrote:

How secure is Wi-Fi?  Do you do your banking and other personal things via Wi-Fi?  Ever had any problems?

18 of 38 (824 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 3:57:41 PM
(0)
Expert

datoad wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

datoad wrote:

Personally would not use any wifi that is not wpa2 encrypted for anything other then reading the news sites

datoad wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

datoad wrote:

Personally would not use any wifi that is not wpa2 encrypted for anything other then reading the news sites

19 of 38 (818 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 4:08:13 PM
(0)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

How do you know what encryption you are receiving? Let's say you're at a Starbucks or Airport.

wingrider01 wrote:

How do you know what encryption you are receiving? Let's say you're at a Starbucks or Airport.

20 of 38 (804 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 4:27:15 PM
(0)
Expert

datoad wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

without look at the access point it is hard to determine which security format it is using. A secure network will have a lock icon near the name and request a password to join. I rarely joing public wifi's like the airport,starbucks or mcdonalds unless I know I am not going to have to access the corporate web

datoad wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

without look at the access point it is hard to determine which security format it is using. A secure network will have a lock icon near the name and request a password to join. I rarely joing public wifi's like the airport,starbucks or mcdonalds unless I know I am not going to have to access the corporate web

21 of 38 (708 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 4:44:45 PM
(0)
Scholar

So in other words, don't do personal things on a "free" hot spot.

22 of 38 (698 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 5:46:37 PM
(0)
Expert

datoad wrote:

got it in one

datoad wrote:

got it in one

23 of 38 (678 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 6:02:13 PM
(0)
Scholar

As for the usage question, I'm sticking with my unlimited data plan that I currently have on my smartphone.  I can't risk the data overage charges.  I work in a call-center based help desk, there are times where I can go up to an hour without a call, so my employer allows employees to use their cell phones for internet access or gaming, as long as it's not on their network.  I have hit 3GB in one month, and average between 1.8GB and 2.5GB a month.  I just play around a lot, and that's not even with an iPhone.  I imagine with my iPhone, I'll easily average about 3-4GB/mo.  What can I say, I get bored, LOL.  When I can't find a new book, I'll be spending my time Farming, playing AquaMoto Racer, or on Chess.com....  I can't play them on my iPod touch now because no WIFI, but I do play a lot of games on my touch.  Now I'll have the benefit of not needing to get on WIFI to check on my farm, LOL :smileywink:

As for the usage question, I'm sticking with my unlimited data plan that I currently have on my smartphone.  I can't risk the data overage charges.  I work in a call-center based help desk, there are times where I can go up to an hour without a call, so my employer allows employees to use their cell phones for internet access or gaming, as long as it's not on their network.  I have hit 3GB in one month, and average between 1.8GB and 2.5GB a month.  I just play around a lot, and that's not even with an iPhone.  I imagine with my iPhone, I'll easily average about 3-4GB/mo.  What can I say, I get bored, LOL.  When I can't find a new book, I'll be spending my time Farming, playing AquaMoto Racer, or on Chess.com....  I can't play them on my iPod touch now because no WIFI, but I do play a lot of games on my touch.  Now I'll have the benefit of not needing to get on WIFI to check on my farm, LOL :smileywink:

24 of 38 (669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 6:16:11 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by thegreatone3 on Jun 18, 2010 at 6:17:02 PM

I'm going to hang onto my unlimited plan for now. I want to see if I end up burning through more data with the iPhone 4. And I also think it might be wise to keep an unlimited plan in anticipation of AT&T's 4G/LTE network. I imagine you could burn through some serious data with 4G speeds. Not saying that there is any guarantee that AT&T will continue to grandfather unlimited plans, but we know for sure that once you switch - there is no going back.

I'm going to hang onto my unlimited plan for now. I want to see if I end up burning through more data with the iPhone 4. And I also think it might be wise to keep an unlimited plan in anticipation of AT&T's 4G/LTE network. I imagine you could burn through some serious data with 4G speeds. Not saying that there is any guarantee that AT&T will continue to grandfather unlimited plans, but we know for sure that once you switch - there is no going back.

[ Edited ]
25 of 38 (659 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 6:59:43 PM
(0)
Scholar

I would like an unlimited plan but as I'm new to the iPhone world I have to start at the beginning. :mansad:

I would like an unlimited plan but as I'm new to the iPhone world I have to start at the beginning. :mansad:

26 of 38 (639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 18, 2010 7:15:29 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by WEDNESDAY-11-21-2007 on Jun 18, 2010 at 7:29:17 PM

I am looking at my bill now. Last month I used 2,239,589 KB which to me translates in to roughly 2.2 MB over 2MB. One month a few back I used 2,799,755KB or 2.8MB. So the sales persons suggestion to me is correct.

I am looking at my bill now. Last month I used 2,239,589 KB which to me translates in to roughly 2.2 MB over 2MB. One month a few back I used 2,799,755KB or 2.8MB. So the sales persons suggestion to me is correct.

[ Edited ]
27 of 38 (621 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 7:18:42 PM
(0)
Scholar

WEDNESDAY-11-21-2007 wrote:

I am looking at my bill now. Last month I used 2,239,589 KB which to me translates in to roughly 2.2 MB over 2MB. One month a few back I used 2,799,755KB or 28MB. So the sales persons suggestion to me is correct.

But WEDNESDAY, your usage just like mine will be and as well as everyone else's are different. LOL! :smileytongue:  But I do appreciate your input. =)  Also, 2MB one month and 28MB another month is a HUGE swing, don't you think?

WEDNESDAY-11-21-2007 wrote:

I am looking at my bill now. Last month I used 2,239,589 KB which to me translates in to roughly 2.2 MB over 2MB. One month a few back I used 2,799,755KB or 28MB. So the sales persons suggestion to me is correct.

But WEDNESDAY, your usage just like mine will be and as well as everyone else's are different. LOL! :smileytongue:  But I do appreciate your input. =)  Also, 2MB one month and 28MB another month is a HUGE swing, don't you think?

28 of 38 (617 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Jun 18, 2010 7:21:40 PM
(0)
Mentor

Remember this if you change from the current unlimited data plan you can not get back on the unlimited plan. That is in the details of the new plan.

Remember this if you change from the current unlimited data plan you can not get back on the unlimited plan. That is in the details of the new plan.

29 of 38 (615 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2010 7:23:01 PM
(0)
Scholar

I a new customer for data, I been with AT&T for a while but never needed data.  So this is why I'm asking.  To bad I didn't have data with my old phone.  ShuckS!

I a new customer for data, I been with AT&T for a while but never needed data.  So this is why I'm asking.  To bad I didn't have data with my old phone.  ShuckS!

30 of 38 (611 Views)