Unlimited Data Plans

Scholar

Unlimited Data Plans

According to ATT, the unlimited data plan was to expensive for some people and very few would use that much data.  Hence why they have the 2GB plan, but I feel they did that to make more money.  Do you guys think 2GB will be enough space per month?  

Can you please give feedback on your past data usage?

Thanks

Message 1 of 38 (1,772 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Re: Unlimited Data Plans

datoad wrote:

Being a newbie with the iPhone.  Can you leave Wi-Fi on all the time?  Will it automatically switch when there is no Wi-Fi available?  Also, how secure do you feel when you use other people's (not at home) Wi-Fi?

Yes, it will automatically use 3G when it's not connected to Wi-Fi.

Message 16 of 38 (963 Views)
Scholar

Got it!  So I take it you have unlimited data?  Will that be grandfathered in if you already have it?

Message 17 of 38 (954 Views)
Scholar

dwill05 wrote:

datoad wrote:

Being a newbie with the iPhone.  Can you leave Wi-Fi on all the time?  Will it automatically switch when there is no Wi-Fi available?  Also, how secure do you feel when you use other people's (not at home) Wi-Fi?

How secure is Wi-Fi?  Do you do your banking and other personal things via Wi-Fi?  Ever had any problems?

Message 18 of 38 (949 Views)
Expert

datoad wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

datoad wrote:

How secure is Wi-Fi?  Do you do your banking and other personal things via Wi-Fi?  Ever had any problems?

Personally would not use any wifi that is not wpa2 encrypted for anything other then reading the news sites

Message 19 of 38 (943 Views)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

Personally would not use any wifi that is not wpa2 encrypted for anything other then reading the news sites

How do you know what encryption you are receiving? Let's say you're at a Starbucks or Airport.

Message 20 of 38 (929 Views)
Expert

datoad wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

How do you know what encryption you are receiving? Let's say you're at a Starbucks or Airport.

without look at the access point it is hard to determine which security format it is using. A secure network will have a lock icon near the name and request a password to join. I rarely joing public wifi's like the airport,starbucks or mcdonalds unless I know I am not going to have to access the corporate web

Message 21 of 38 (833 Views)
Scholar

So in other words, don't do personal things on a "free" hot spot.

Message 22 of 38 (823 Views)
Expert

datoad wrote:

So in other words, don't do personal things on a "free" hot spot.

got it in one

Message 23 of 38 (803 Views)

As for the usage question, I'm sticking with my unlimited data plan that I currently have on my smartphone.  I can't risk the data overage charges.  I work in a call-center based help desk, there are times where I can go up to an hour without a call, so my employer allows employees to use their cell phones for internet access or gaming, as long as it's not on their network.  I have hit 3GB in one month, and average between 1.8GB and 2.5GB a month.  I just play around a lot, and that's not even with an iPhone.  I imagine with my iPhone, I'll easily average about 3-4GB/mo.  What can I say, I get bored, LOL.  When I can't find a new book, I'll be spending my time Farming, playing AquaMoto Racer, or on Chess.com....  I can't play them on my iPod touch now because no WIFI, but I do play a lot of games on my touch.  Now I'll have the benefit of not needing to get on WIFI to check on my farm, LOL Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 38 (794 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm going to hang onto my unlimited plan for now. I want to see if I end up burning through more data with the iPhone 4. And I also think it might be wise to keep an unlimited plan in anticipation of AT&T's 4G/LTE network. I imagine you could burn through some serious data with 4G speeds. Not saying that there is any guarantee that AT&T will continue to grandfather unlimited plans, but we know for sure that once you switch - there is no going back.

Message 25 of 38 (784 Views)
Scholar

I would like an unlimited plan but as I'm new to the iPhone world I have to start at the beginning. Man Sad

Message 26 of 38 (764 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am looking at my bill now. Last month I used 2,239,589 KB which to me translates in to roughly 2.2 MB over 2MB. One month a few back I used 2,799,755KB or 2.8MB. So the sales persons suggestion to me is correct.

Message 27 of 38 (746 Views)
Scholar

WEDNESDAY-11-21-2007 wrote:

I am looking at my bill now. Last month I used 2,239,589 KB which to me translates in to roughly 2.2 MB over 2MB. One month a few back I used 2,799,755KB or 28MB. So the sales persons suggestion to me is correct.

But WEDNESDAY, your usage just like mine will be and as well as everyone else's are different. LOL! Smiley Tongue  But I do appreciate your input. =)  Also, 2MB one month and 28MB another month is a HUGE swing, don't you think?

Message 28 of 38 (742 Views)

Remember this if you change from the current unlimited data plan you can not get back on the unlimited plan. That is in the details of the new plan.

Message 29 of 38 (740 Views)
Scholar

I a new customer for data, I been with AT&T for a while but never needed data.  So this is why I'm asking.  To bad I didn't have data with my old phone.  ShuckS!

Message 30 of 38 (736 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.