Wireless Forums

Posted Oct 6, 2011
11:19:17 AM
View profile
Unlimited Data Plan when upgrading to Samsung GSII

Today I went on AT&T site planning to upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S II.  After adding the phone to cart, I got a message telling me my "Smartphone Personal" plan a.k.a. the grandfathered unlimited data plan is not compatible with this phone!  

Anyone able to keep their unlimited data plan when upgrading to the GSII?

Today I went on AT&T site planning to upgrade to the Samsung Galaxy S II.  After adding the phone to cart, I got a message telling me my "Smartphone Personal" plan a.k.a. the grandfathered unlimited data plan is not compatible with this phone!  

Unlimited Data Plan when upgrading to Samsung GSII

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 11:28:38 AM
(0)
Tutor

I went into an AT&T store and they were able to transfer the unlimited plan to the gs2.

I went into an AT&T store and they were able to transfer the unlimited plan to the gs2.

Re: Unlimited Data Plan when upgrading to Samsung GSII

2 of 7 (443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 11:51:41 AM
(0)
Mentor

Same here.  I was out of there in 15 minutes.

Same here.  I was out of there in 15 minutes.

3 of 7 (434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 11:54:19 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Oct 6, 2011 at 11:56:22 AM

saint168 wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, that particular plan ($20/mo) is not grandfathered in. The only plans that are grandfathered in are those $30/mo or higher.

But either way, your old plan needs to be 'updated' into 4G plan in order for GS2 or any 4G phone to use. If you are grandfathered in unlimited, you get to keep the unlimited.

There are other ways to not touch the plan but you will have to buy your phone off the contract.

saint168 wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, that particular plan ($20/mo) is not grandfathered in. The only plans that are grandfathered in are those $30/mo or higher.

But either way, your old plan needs to be 'updated' into 4G plan in order for GS2 or any 4G phone to use. If you are grandfathered in unlimited, you get to keep the unlimited.

There are other ways to not touch the plan but you will have to buy your phone off the contract.

[ Edited ]
4 of 7 (432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 1:12:27 PM
(0)
I do have the $30 plan and currently using the Captivate. I guess I can't order from the website and must go to the store. Unfortunately, they are out of the GS2 at my local stores.
I do have the $30 plan and currently using the Captivate. I guess I can't order from the website and must go to the store. Unfortunately, they are out of the GS2 at my local stores.

5 of 7 (403 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 1:27:31 PM
(0)
Master

You can call the site support to manually update your plan and order your phone for you.

You can call the site support to manually update your plan and order your phone for you.

6 of 7 (395 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 10:57:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

yea you can do it on the website, the same thing happen to me it tells you that you cant use it and have to change it, but if you look at the options you will see it right there for you to select again once they remove it before you go to the next stage.

yea you can do it on the website, the same thing happen to me it tells you that you cant use it and have to change it, but if you look at the options you will see it right there for you to select again once they remove it before you go to the next stage.

7 of 7 (308 Views)