Unlimited 50$ plan + data plan for smartphone - help needed to pick right plan

Contributor

Unlimited 50$ plan + data plan for smartphone - help needed to pick right plan

Hi, we'll be coming to the US for a while, and I would like to bring my own, unlocked, SIM-taking Android 3G smartphone and use it on the AT&T network with a prepaid, no-contract plan. What I don't grasp is: Where can I find the "data plans" for smartphones? Apparently, I cannot use the 50$ "unlimited" plan for data, but need to buy additional data. Would you have any information about that or could someone point me in the right direction? I'm going to use about 500 to 1000 min and 1 to 2 GB data / months, almost no texts, no MMS at all - should I even go for the "unlimited" plan, or would another combination serve me better? Thanks! jeeny

Message 1 of 2 (2,491 Views)
Scholar

Re: Unlimited 50$ plan + data plan for smartphone - help needed to pick right plan

jeeny wrote:

Hi, we'll be coming to the US for a while, and I would like to bring my own, unlocked, SIM-taking Android 3G smartphone and use it on the AT&T network with a prepaid, no-contract plan. What I don't grasp is: Where can I find the "data plans" for smartphones? Apparently, I cannot use the 50$ "unlimited" plan for data, but need to buy additional data. Would you have any information about that or could someone point me in the right direction? I'm going to use about 500 to 1000 min and 1 to 2 GB data / months, almost no texts, no MMS at all - should I even go for the "unlimited" plan, or would another combination serve me better? Thanks! jeeny

500~1000 minutes would be $50~100 on pay as you go so for that alone, yes, I think it would be worth your while to get the unlimited plan. Since you've got an international Android smartphone which AT&T might not have the IMEI of, you might even get lucky and be able to use the unlimited data portion of the plan.

If not, the smartphone data is gonna cost you a pretty penny. The least expensive (per MB) data package for GoPhone is $25/500MB so that 1~2GB will end up costing you $50~100. The data feature packages available for GoPhone are as follows:

$5/10MB

$15/100MB

$25/500MB

T-Mobile's Monthly4G plans are a lot more attractive ($60 unli talk/unli text/2GB data or $70 unli talk/unli text/5GB data) but it's pretty rare to find international phones supporting T-Mobile's 3G bands and the higher data caps are pretty much useless if you're only running on 2G.

Message 2 of 2 (2,481 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.