01-05-2009 1:55 PM
01-06-2009 8:34 AM
Most likely the outbound calls from your company are being routed thru a "trunk," so they are actually directed thru a number that blocks the outbound caller id info. If it shows as "unknown caller" on your phone it's because the calling party is withholding the info.
01-06-2009 9:22 AM
03-22-2010 4:35 PM
Around February 1st of 2010, I purchased another iPhone with a number transferred from Verizon and converted my plan to a Family plan. I also had our caller IDs updated because my work caller ID kept showing some painting company when my girlfriend would call my landline. I used to be able to see the desk # (we dial 9 to get out, but have a direct number to dial back into) of the person calling my iPhone, but now all I get is "Unknown". It's not just my work phone system though. I've had the problem with a few others too, including my girlfriend's work. Some phone systems seem to work fine (my girlfriend's landline through Cox shows up fine, and my mom's landline from one of the local schools works fine).
I've spoken with two AT&T representatives and was transferred to a technical support person to try a few more things which resulted in no success and the "trunk" BS answer. We've tried the following with no success:
1. Got an over the air update from AT&T, turned the phone off, and powered it back on. Still "Unknown".
2. Delete the contact completely, including clearing all call logs and making sure there were no voicemails. Basically, any trace of a phone number from the landline. We turned the phone off and back on. Called the iPhone again...still "Unknown".
3. Added the number under a completely new contact. Still "Unknown".
4. Verified the phone number was stored as 1 (area code) xxx-xxxx (even tried without 1 and without area code). Still "Unknown".
5. Tried adding + in front of the number (even though there's nothing international about these calls). Still "Unknown".
6. Verified the caller id feature was turned on in the phone settings (even though it should only affect outgoing calls). It's been enabled the whole time.
7. Reset the network settings (fixed a previous MMS issue we had when sending pics to each other, so I figured we'd try that too). Still "Unknown".
8. Added the last four of the number as another contact (some desks historically only showed the last four digits on caller id). Still "Unknown".
I called the AT&T technician's Samsung AT&T phone from my work landline, and the number showed up fine. I called a Verizon cell phone, and the number showed up fine. People in the following forum have said replacing the phone and SIM card didn't help them: http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?b
What the heck is going on here? Why would this break all of a suddenly? Three of my friends are having the exact same issue with their iPhones and their work phone systems. Caller ID works fine on all non-iPhones we all call though.
03-23-2010 5:08 PM
03-24-2010 8:48 AM
© 2017 AT&T Intellectual Property.This link will open a new window All rights reserved. AT&T, Globe logo, Mobilizing Your World and DIRECTV are registered trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.
Congratulations! You earned the Liz badge!