Ask a question

Posted Jan 5, 2009
1:55:22 PM
View profile
Unknown Caller
I just got an iPhone, and previously had a BlackBerry. When I receive calls from my work, it comes up Unknown Caller and no number is identified. On my BlackBerry the call was recognized and came up as it was listed in my Address Book. The business number is in my iPhone address book, but still comes up Unknown Caller. Of note, this number is from a large business, so any phone/extension in the business will come up with the same generic number on the caller ID (at least with the BlackBerry). In addition, my iPhone Area Code is different than the business Area Code (the BlackBarry area code was the same as my business). All my setting are okay, as other calls are working just fine. Any ideas? ATT problem? iPhone problem?

Unknown Caller

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2009 8:34:38 AM
(0)
Scholar

Most likely the outbound calls from your company are being routed thru a "trunk," so they are actually directed thru a number that blocks the outbound caller id info. If it shows as "unknown caller" on your phone it's because the calling party is withholding the info.

Re: Unknown Caller

2 of 9 (7,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2009 9:07:46 AM
(0)
Contributor
OK, thanks. However, there was no problem with the Caller ID when I used Verizon & my Blackberry.

3 of 9 (7,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2009 9:22:31 AM
(0)
Scholar
I'm not 100% that is the issue, but I have seen it many times. Our company is quite large and has numerous bb and iPhones that receive these types of calls. It is usually blocked from the other end.

4 of 9 (7,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2010 4:35:05 PM
(0)
Contributor

Around February 1st of 2010, I purchased another iPhone with a number transferred from Verizon and converted my plan to a Family plan.  I also had our caller IDs updated because my work caller ID kept showing some painting company when my girlfriend would call my landline.  I used to be able to see the desk # (we dial 9 to get out, but have a direct number to dial back into) of the person calling my iPhone, but now all I get is "Unknown".  It's not just my work phone system though.  I've had the problem with a few others too, including my girlfriend's work.  Some phone systems seem to work fine (my girlfriend's landline through Cox shows up fine, and my mom's landline from one of the local schools works fine).

I've spoken with two AT&T representatives and was transferred to a technical support person to try a few more things which resulted in no success and the "trunk" BS answer.  We've tried the following with no success:

1. Got an over the air update from AT&T, turned the phone off, and powered it back on.  Still "Unknown".

2. Delete the contact completely, including clearing all call logs and making sure there were no voicemails.  Basically, any trace of a phone number from the landline.  We turned the phone off and back on.  Called the iPhone again...still "Unknown".

3. Added the number under a completely new contact.  Still "Unknown".

4. Verified the phone number was stored as 1 (area code) xxx-xxxx (even tried without 1 and without area code).  Still "Unknown".

5. Tried adding + in front of the number (even though there's nothing international about these calls).  Still "Unknown".

6. Verified the caller id feature was turned on in the phone settings (even though it should only affect outgoing calls).  It's been enabled the whole time.

7. Reset the network settings (fixed a previous MMS issue we had when sending pics to each other, so I figured we'd try that too).  Still "Unknown".

8. Added the last four of the number as another contact (some desks historically only showed the last four digits on caller id).  Still "Unknown".

I called the AT&T technician's Samsung AT&T phone from my work landline, and the number showed up fine.  I called a Verizon cell phone, and the number showed up fine.  People in the following forum have said replacing the phone and SIM card didn't help them: http://forums.wireless.att.com/cng/board/message?board.id=apple&thread.id=95390

What the heck is going on here?  Why would this break all of a suddenly?  Three of my friends are having the exact same issue with their iPhones and their work phone systems.  Caller ID works fine on all non-iPhones we all call though.

5 of 9 (5,842 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2010 4:09:07 PM
(0)
Mentor
Try going to settings  and go down to Phone  and tap on it  go down to show my caller ID and make sure it is on

6 of 9 (5,751 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2010 5:08:28 PM
(0)
Contributor
Did that in #6 above already.  Anyway, it looks like my work put a ticket in with XO Communications to have the issue fixed.  They believe it has something to do with the changes XO has been making in our city with the local/long distance service because some local calls are actually long distance calls due to the large size of the area code.  Long distance calls to iPhones work fine, but the local calls to iPhones show up as "Unknown".  Our Android users using Google Voice have also been having the same problem.

7 of 9 (5,739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2010 7:54:47 AM
(0)
Professor
Yet you were so sure that it was AT&T or the iPhone...

8 of 9 (5,666 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2010 8:48:29 AM
(0)
Contributor
Who else wouldn't think it wasn't an issue with AT&T or the iPhone when tests to non-AT&T customers and non-iPhone AT&T customers worked?  It was only the tests to all 10 iPhone users that failed.  The guy I know using Google Voice for his Android on Verizon originally had an iPhone with AT&T.

9 of 9 (5,655 Views)