Posted Jul 12, 2011
3:10:10 PM
View profile
Unexplained Data Spike

Has anyone experienced an unexplained data usage spike that they can't account for? I have never come close to using my data but 7 days into my billing cycle I blew through all my data and then some. Seems crazy. Does anyone know of a way to see what apps might be running that are using data even though not actively being used or a way to see what has been used in past days?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Has anyone experienced an unexplained data usage spike that they can't account for? I have never come close to using my data but 7 days into my billing cycle I blew through all my data and then some. Seems crazy. Does anyone know of a way to see what apps might be running that are using data even though not actively being used or a way to see what has been used in past days?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Unexplained Data Spike

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 4:12:37 PM
(0)
Professor
You can see what apps are open at any time by double clicking on the Home button.
You can see what apps are open at any time by double clicking on the Home button.

Re: Unexplained Data Spike

2 of 14 (2,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 5:39:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

I had a variation on this theme.  I recently switched from an original iPhone to iPhone 4.  No one told me that I could have kept my original unlimited plan.  I wish they had.  I would have taken it....because between Jan 2011 through May 2011 my use ran between 57-97 MB per month.  I thought accepting the least expensive of the new plans offered, I would be OK with 200 MB.

Imagine my distress when I received a notice last night that I had used 90% of my available 200 MB.  What in the world happened between one iPhone and the next?  My usage didn't change enough to warrant a more than doubling the data used.

I was afraid enough that I upped to Data Pro, but I felt mislead---or, at the very least, not adequately informed by ATT.

I had a variation on this theme.  I recently switched from an original iPhone to iPhone 4.  No one told me that I could have kept my original unlimited plan.  I wish they had.  I would have taken it....because between Jan 2011 through May 2011 my use ran between 57-97 MB per month.  I thought accepting the least expensive of the new plans offered, I would be OK with 200 MB.

Imagine my distress when I received a notice last night that I had used 90% of my available 200 MB.  What in the world happened between one iPhone and the next?  My usage didn't change enough to warrant a more than doubling the data used.

I was afraid enough that I upped to Data Pro, but I felt mislead---or, at the very least, not adequately informed by ATT.

3 of 14 (2,437 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 5:20:57 AM
(0)
Employee
iPhone 4 has more features that use more data, can multitask programs and since its 3G and things load faster you probably use it more than the old one. i cant tell you what used that data but the data was used by the phone
iPhone 4 has more features that use more data, can multitask programs and since its 3G and things load faster you probably use it more than the old one. i cant tell you what used that data but the data was used by the phone
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 14 (2,365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 7:03:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

What new apps have you installed recently?

What new apps have you installed recently?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 14 (2,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 8:55:20 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks everyone for your help.

Thanks everyone for your help.

6 of 14 (2,345 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 11:52:24 AM
(0)
Tutor

Data was used by my phone.  That rings true.  You may also be correct that I've been using it more because it is faster.  Now that I've settled into paying the higer cost, I don't have to worry about how much I use.  That kind of stress was just not worth it.

I still wish I'd been told that I could have kept my unlimited plan.

Thanks for your response.

Data was used by my phone.  That rings true.  You may also be correct that I've been using it more because it is faster.  Now that I've settled into paying the higer cost, I don't have to worry about how much I use.  That kind of stress was just not worth it.

Thanks for your response.

7 of 14 (2,332 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 11:56:31 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm not a big app user and I deleted most of what I had when I received the first message that I had used 60% of my data plan.  Plus turned off a number of things that were running in the background.  (I didn't know that was happening.)  Still., my second alert of using 90% came within two days of those changes.  I was almost at the end of my monthly allotment...but, was so unnerved that I just upped my service to the next level.

Thanks for your question.

I'm not a big app user and I deleted most of what I had when I received the first message that I had used 60% of my data plan.  Plus turned off a number of things that were running in the background.  (I didn't know that was happening.)  Still., my second alert of using 90% came within two days of those changes.  I was almost at the end of my monthly allotment...but, was so unnerved that I just upped my service to the next level.

Thanks for your question.

8 of 14 (2,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 2:34:02 PM
(0)
Professor

ACWHP wrote:

Depending on how long it's been since you did the upgrade, you may be able to contact customer service and get your unlimited plan back.  It certainly is worth a try if you are a heavy data user.

ACWHP wrote:

Depending on how long it's been since you did the upgrade, you may be able to contact customer service and get your unlimited plan back.  It certainly is worth a try if you are a heavy data user.

9 of 14 (2,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 6:20:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

It was just this week.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks for the suggestion.

It was just this week.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks for the suggestion.

10 of 14 (2,300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 6, 2011 2:08:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

yes last month i had nearly a gig normaly i am 200-400.   Luckly i am on unlimited so its a non issue..

yes last month i had nearly a gig normaly i am 200-400.   Luckly i am on unlimited so its a non issue..

11 of 14 (2,275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2011 11:48:05 AM
(0)
Contributor

I've been puzzling over a huge spike in my data usage this month and would appreciate any ideas from other iPhone4 owners. I purchased my phone in January and lost my unlimited grandfathered data plan.  After reviewing data usage (not texting) I wen with the minimum of 200MG.  This month I have been subject to large data amounts approaching 2Gig. I did up my plan to this plan and still it has these (unusual) spikes of up to 200MG. There is nothing that I am aware of that would do this with one being at 4AM. I do not download video or pics or other large data sets. I don't Tweet or Facebook on the phone. I have rarely used face-to-face and have sent/received only a few pics via the iPhone camera  I am almost entirely on wifi at work and home, so it is only those time I'm in the car or away from home that this would not exchange data via the web.

Apple has suggested turning off cellular data on the phone which I have done.  I've only used it when I get voicemail. Yet my bill still shows phone data being exchanged although not nearly the amounts. Am I missing something here or is there a such thing as malware that uses your phone for data exchange? IF so what is the best way of guarding against it or moving forward?

Thanks...

I've been puzzling over a huge spike in my data usage this month and would appreciate any ideas from other iPhone4 owners. I purchased my phone in January and lost my unlimited grandfathered data plan.  After reviewing data usage (not texting) I wen with the minimum of 200MG.  This month I have been subject to large data amounts approaching 2Gig. I did up my plan to this plan and still it has these (unusual) spikes of up to 200MG. There is nothing that I am aware of that would do this with one being at 4AM. I do not download video or pics or other large data sets. I don't Tweet or Facebook on the phone. I have rarely used face-to-face and have sent/received only a few pics via the iPhone camera  I am almost entirely on wifi at work and home, so it is only those time I'm in the car or away from home that this would not exchange data via the web.

Apple has suggested turning off cellular data on the phone which I have done.  I've only used it when I get voicemail. Yet my bill still shows phone data being exchanged although not nearly the amounts. Am I missing something here or is there a such thing as malware that uses your phone for data exchange? IF so what is the best way of guarding against it or moving forward?

Thanks...

Inordinate spike in data usage

12 of 14 (2,247 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 4:35:05 AM
(0)
Professor

There is no malware that affects iPhones or any iOS device.

If the data is being reported as used by AT&T, then it is definitely coming from the device.

Timing that the data is being used, as reported by AT&T, is irrelevant.  Very simple explanation for this, AT&T bulk bills data so basically all usage for the previous time period is billed at one time.  This is why so many see 2AM data charges to their account.  Also, data usage can be delayed up to 72hrs.

Also, keep in mind that when the iPhone goes into sleep mode, unless it is connected to external powere, Wi-Fi turns off to save battery.  All those times you thought that you were on Wi-Fi when your device was syncing email in sleep mode, it was actually on cellular data.

There is no malware that affects iPhones or any iOS device.

If the data is being reported as used by AT&T, then it is definitely coming from the device.

Timing that the data is being used, as reported by AT&T, is irrelevant.  Very simple explanation for this, AT&T bulk bills data so basically all usage for the previous time period is billed at one time.  This is why so many see 2AM data charges to their account.  Also, data usage can be delayed up to 72hrs.

Also, keep in mind that when the iPhone goes into sleep mode, unless it is connected to external powere, Wi-Fi turns off to save battery.  All those times you thought that you were on Wi-Fi when your device was syncing email in sleep mode, it was actually on cellular data.

Re: Inordinate spike in data usage

13 of 14 (2,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2011 6:52:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Shatz wrote:

Thanks...

If you have turned of Cellular data, and not just 3G, then the only time it will use cellular data is when you turn it back on.

So, I'm thinking you're not doing what you think you're doing.

Shatz wrote:

Thanks...

If you have turned of Cellular data, and not just 3G, then the only time it will use cellular data is when you turn it back on.

So, I'm thinking you're not doing what you think you're doing.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Inordinate spike in data usage

14 of 14 (2,208 Views)