Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Unbelievably rude customer representative

Tutor

Unbelievably rude customer representative

I called AT&T customer service on December 12/29/2010 at about 12:30 pm and got a extremely rude person who gave his name as Mr. Mark {Personal content removed for safety}. I was asking about the possibility of temporarily using my old iPhone instead of a broken nokia phone. Mark rudely told be that I need a data plan and that I should "throw my old iPhone in the garbage".

I have been a loyal AT&T customer for last 8 years. I guess what people say about AT&T is true. It's time to switch to a different carrier.

If anyone knows of an email address where I can complain about Mark, I would be greatly appreciative.

Message 1 of 8
Master

Re: Unbelievably rude customer representative

@Aveli wrote:

I called AT&T customer service on December 12/29/2010 at about 12:30 pm and got a extremely rude person who gave his name as Mr. Mark {Personal content removed for safety}. I was asking about the possibility of temporarily using my old iPhone instead of a broken nokia phone. Mark rudely told be that I need a data plan and that I should "throw my old iPhone in the garbage".

I have been a loyal AT&T customer for last 8 years. I guess what people say about AT&T is true. It's time to switch to a different carrier.

If anyone knows of an email address where I can complain about Mark, I would be greatly appreciative.

Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. Here's an older thread where there contains a few different e-mail address to contact AT&T...

Link: http://forums.att.com/t5/General-Care/Contact-AT-amp-T-by-Email-to-complain/td-p/2545645

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 8
Professor

well if you take away the attitude and his personal opinion what he told you is truth.....but no, don't take that, ask for a supervisor. We don't need people who are going to be rude while serving you. Their job is nothing BUT to serve you.

Message 3 of 8
Tutor

Mr. Mark was the supervisor. For a second, let us ignore the fact that ATT is forcing me to buy a new phone when a perfect good phone device is just lying unused in my house. also, let us ignore that I paid for this device and I stuck to 2 years of the contract.

Mr. Mark attitude is still by far the biggest problem here. He has no business asking me to throw away the iPhone in the garbage or acting so gung-ho with the attitude suggesting "why are you bothering me with your problem?'. 

Message 4 of 8
Highlighted
Master

@JFizDaWiz wrote:

well if you take away the attitude and his personal opinion what he told you is truth.....but no, don't take that, ask for a supervisor. We don't need people who are going to be rude while serving you. Their job is nothing BUT to serve you.

I'll be the first to acknowledge that customer service representatives have an incredibly tough job.  They don't set the policies or procedures, yet they must follow them.  They likely aren't as fully trained as they should be, and their reference materials may be every bit as convoluted and outdated as what is available directly to customers via at&t's website.  And as the front line "face" of at&t they are subjected to irritated customers who many times have irrational expectations themselves. 

However, if a customer service representative cannot handle these circumstances without being rude in return, then they are in the wrong profession. Smiley Wink

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 5 of 8
Professor

Definetly agreed, If you cant be nice (whether or not the customer is right or wrong) then you should not be in customer CARE, Now you can use your old IPHONE, you will have to get a data package just switch sim cards, but none the less i would call customer care back, get another sup and file your complaint against MR. MARK, i hope you have his last name.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 8
Master

^^^The OP does, his last name was removed for personal safety by a mod. ^^^

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 7 of 8
Guru

AT&T is the only cell phone provider I have ever had, so I have been with them for about 13 years or so.  During that time, I have called customer service many times and while I have encountered CRs who gave me wrong information or had no clue how to solve a problem, I have never gotten anyone who was rude.  I agree that people in customer service should be polite, but after 8 years, one rude AT&T employee would not make me change companies.  Anyone can have a bad day-even though a CR should not take it out on a customer.  I would just report the person if I thought the offense was bad enough.  If you have been satisfied with AT&T in other aspects of your service, why change?  ALL companies have employees who fall down on the job once in a while for one reason or another; don't quit the company based on ONE person with a poor attitude.  From my experience, "what people say about AT&T" has not been true and I would not let this event completely sour me on AT&T.  But do report a rude CR because he or she represents AT&T and should not be causing further harm to the company's reputation.

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support