Unattended data usage!!! 7.7GB for 3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO SERVICE SURPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teacher

Unattended data usage!!! 7.7GB for 3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO SERVICE SURPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a iphone 3GS and it keep uploading something , and I didn't open any application. 

For 2 days it uploaded over 400MB by 3G, so I immidiately shut down the 3G function.

After that I install a application which can monitor the data usage, just for 3 days, my iphone uploaded 7.7GB by wifi!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I called AT&T service and told them I don't  want to pay the over usage charge, but they don't believe me and  when I was explaining they just  SMASH the phone!!!!

VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 15
Master

Re: Unattended data usage!!! 7.7GB for 3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO SERVICE SURPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must have some app running in the background? Double click your home key to show the apps in the quick change dock. President and hold one until they jiggle then tap the x on each one. If it happens again, you need to look for some app of yours that is ruining a process in the background.

You may need to restore your iPhone software to clear something that the os has but my sting bets is you have an app running in the background.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 15
Teacher

Re: Unattended data usage!!! 7.7GB for 3 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO SERVICE SURPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pretty sure that ther is no applcation is running there, I restore the iphone and the issue fixed, but now I just don't want to pay that data over usage charge, because I really really didn't use that data.

Message 3 of 15
Master

I do not work for ATT but something on your phone did. You are going to have to be very kind asking for a credit. No guarantees.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 4 of 15
ACE - Professor

Hi there!

Sorry to hear about the data overage. Smiley Sad

As mentioned before, the reason for this is because of the apps running in the background due to the iPhone's multitasking feature. To view which apps are running, you can double tap the Home button and a bar at the bottom of your screen should appear. Press and hold the apps and a red circle with a " - " sign will appear on the apps and they will begin to shake as well. Press the red button to fully close the app so no further data is being accessed from that application.

Hope that helps!

~ Evandela ~

~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 15
ACE - Professor

Hi coolbeet, welcome to the user-to-user forum.

Something you're running is using data, that's for sure. You can disable use of celluar data (not "3G") by turning off Settings/General/Network/Cellular data. With that off, no data use charges will accrue.

Once you've done that, the next step is to find out what's using data. This is actually fairly simple to accomplish, if you're willing to be methodical.

first turn off all background notifications, and also set all email account update schedules to manual.

Now reboot the phone. At this point NOTHING should be using data. If something is, then begin removing applications you've installed one by one until it stops.

Once you figure out what's using all that data, let us know what it was.

7.7GB uploaded sounds pretty extreme. Unless you attempted to email yourself something very large, or you attempted to upload a video you shot to youtube or facebook, I'd be really interested in finding out what the app was.

I'm assumiung the phone isn't jailbroken.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 15
Teacher

Yeah I closed all the background applications, but it doesn't work. I believe it's from inside of the iOS system and it's knd of random pick some customers..... 

Message 7 of 15
ACE - Professor

You said you restored. What app did that remove? Or did you upload some very large item somewhere? Perhaps you uploaded a video meaning to upload a photo to a social media site?
Message 8 of 15
ACE - Professor

FInal assumption - you are on the 200MB plan? If so, simply upgrade to the 2GB plan THIS MONTH - retroactive to the start of the month. Once this month is over, you can drop back down to the 200MB plan if you wish. If you do that, assuming you didn't go over 2GB, it will only be an additional $10 this month for the extra usage.

You might want to stay on the 2GB plan until you fully understand how and what uses data on the iPhone - it is very easy to use far more than 200MB on that device, but actually quite hard to use more than 2GB - an extra $10 for a month or two to aviod large overages is worth it. You may even find you regularly use more than 200MB with normal use.

Message 9 of 15
ACE - Professor

coolbeet wrote:

Yeah I closed all the background applications, but it doesn't work. I believe it's from inside of the iOS system and it's knd of random pick some customers..... 

No, it's not random. There is something running that is using the data, that you've installed. The only somewhat random thing would be the debugging data you might have agreed to send to apple. To turn that off see

Plug in the iPhone, in iTunes right click on the iPhone in iTunes and choose “Reset Warnings.”

Unplug the iPhone

Plug it back in

you will get a box asking if you want to send reports. Find “Do Not Ask Me Again” and uncheck it. Click on “Don’t Send.”

Message 10 of 15
Teacher

Yes the phone isn't jailbroken, I disable all the function that may have internet connection, and it dose't work. Now I restore the phone and the issue fixed. Actually my phone allready uploaded 11.2GB before I finally restore my iphone, you know I only use less 10GB space in my 16GB phone....

Now I just want to get some credit for over data usage charge.....  

Thanks.

Message 11 of 15
Professor

When you say you "shut down the 3G function", did you just turn off 3G, or stop data totally. If you turn off 3G, it will just drop down to EDGE and keep downloading, just at a slower speed. You need to turn data completely off.

And what do you mean by "they just SMASH the phone"?

BTW, AT&T just provides the service. If your phone is downloading something, and given that it's doing it when you are connected to WiFi (and therefore not using AT&T's data system) indicates that it is something in the phone. AT&T isn't responsible for the data your phone uses. They are only responsible if they charge for for data and you didn't actually use it. From what you've said, (and it sounds like there is more to it - 7.7GB over WiFi in 3 days sounds very high) it sounds like your phone did use that much data.

Do you have push notifications or automatic fetching of email set up?
Message 12 of 15
Teacher

SMASH means he hang up on me...

I'm pretty sure that I don't have any application that can have a MB level data usage.... but now I restored the phone and issue fixed.

Really thanks for the help.

Message 13 of 15
Teacher

Oh, I already restored my phone and problem fixed, I didn't check "Reset Warnings" options so this maybe the source of uploading. Really thanks for the help. 

Message 14 of 15
Master

Sounds like you fixed this which is good. That amount of data in 3 days didn't sound right.
Message 15 of 15
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support