Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 30, 2011
2:36:59 PM
View profile
Unable to place outgoing calls on 3G MicroCell - Displays "call failed"

Smiley SadMy3G MicroCell has been working in the past. Recently, When I try to place a call on my iphone 4 the call will not go through and my iphone displays "call failed". The 3G MicroCell otherwise continues to work for other functions such as being able to get calls, text message, etc. Anybody have any ideas what the problem is? Doug

Smiley SadMy3G MicroCell has been working in the past. Recently, When I try to place a call on my iphone 4 the call will not go through and my iphone displays "call failed". The 3G MicroCell otherwise continues to work for other functions such as being able to get calls, text message, etc. Anybody have any ideas what the problem is? Doug

Unable to place outgoing calls on 3G MicroCell - Displays "call failed"

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 2:03:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

Currently experiencing same problem. Have you had any response from AT&T? I did get a case file started but it sounds like that may just fall between the cracks.

Currently experiencing same problem. Have you had any response from AT&T? I did get a case file started but it sounds like that may just fall between the cracks.

Re: Unable to place outgoing calls on 3G MicroCell - Displays "call failed"

2 of 9 (2,374 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 3:34:19 PM
(0)
Contributor
I have heard nothing.
I have heard nothing.

3 of 9 (2,363 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 4:27:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

I've had the same issue....

I have a serious dead spot in the house and it happens to be where my home office is located.  I like the location of my home office and I have no intention of moving it...  the MCell seemed like the perfect solution.

It's been working just fine for me - well, to be honest - the calls were slow to connect, but I can deal with that.  I have the patience of a saint.

My husband has had problems from day one.  He does NOT have the patience of a three year old let alone a saint.  He's hard on all KINDS of electronics - our usual solution is to keep him away from them and focused on things outside the house.  (Our deck is BEAUTIFUL!)

This week - I'm not able to make any calls.  I can still get them, but not make them.

I've done a few rounds with customer support and I've found that it's a lot like having a conversation with my father:

"Dad.  It's not my birthday."  "Oh..  your mother said it was your birthday."  "No Dad she had it was our FIRST DAY!  It was our first day of school today."  (Patience of a saint...)

I've answered that it's plugged in.  I've done a speed test.  I've gone over my network configuration.  I've been told that it's my ISP...  my router... my modem...  you can take it from there.

Seems like this can't be true since I'm struggling to see the logic behind how the connections/ISP/modem/router can work one day and then not the next.

I'm tired doing research on the internet on what the problem could be and tried most of the 'fixes' and nothing.  I think that what I'd like to do is take the MCell and the iPhone back to the store.  Drop them off with a tirade...  and then head to the Verizon and see if they'll take me back and give me an iPhone.

I'm just going to deactivate it and keep on using the "Mark the Spot" app until they put a tower in my living room.

I've had the same issue....

I have a serious dead spot in the house and it happens to be where my home office is located.  I like the location of my home office and I have no intention of moving it...  the MCell seemed like the perfect solution.

It's been working just fine for me - well, to be honest - the calls were slow to connect, but I can deal with that.  I have the patience of a saint.

My husband has had problems from day one.  He does NOT have the patience of a three year old let alone a saint.  He's hard on all KINDS of electronics - our usual solution is to keep him away from them and focused on things outside the house.  (Our deck is BEAUTIFUL!)

This week - I'm not able to make any calls.  I can still get them, but not make them.

I've done a few rounds with customer support and I've found that it's a lot like having a conversation with my father:

"Dad.  It's not my birthday."  "Oh..  your mother said it was your birthday."  "No Dad she had it was our FIRST DAY!  It was our first day of school today."  (Patience of a saint...)

I've answered that it's plugged in.  I've done a speed test.  I've gone over my network configuration.  I've been told that it's my ISP...  my router... my modem...  you can take it from there.

Seems like this can't be true since I'm struggling to see the logic behind how the connections/ISP/modem/router can work one day and then not the next.

I'm tired doing research on the internet on what the problem could be and tried most of the 'fixes' and nothing.  I think that what I'd like to do is take the MCell and the iPhone back to the store.  Drop them off with a tirade...  and then head to the Verizon and see if they'll take me back and give me an iPhone.

I'm just going to deactivate it and keep on using the "Mark the Spot" app until they put a tower in my living room.

4 of 9 (2,283 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2011 3:04:45 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by sanfrenchysco on Oct 31, 2011 at 3:11:29 PM

We share similar type of patience... exactly what is needed to work out this nationwide ATT problem!

ATT support techs are nice and all but they can't give what they don't have as in they can't tell you what they don't know. The core issue of the uCell is that CISCO released a half-baked design to AT&T who never looked back to analyse support logs in depth. They seem to think the uCell works perfectly and issues are obviously caused by the ISP, modems and routers!!  Quite the contrary actually...

You can't call out on uCell but people call in...

1- Do Restart your phone from power down/power up to start with a clean slate

2- Try to make a call 2 feet away from the uCell. Does it work? if not what happens?

3- Does you phone shows it is connected on the "ATT MicroCell" before showing "call failed"?

I think what is going on is that your cellphone is on a swing between the street macrocell vs. your uCell and can't quite decide which one to use.

How to know if that is the case?

Call your cellphone from a land line being right where it does not work to call out and see if the cell phone can hang on to the ucell for more than 10 minutes or if it tries to switch to using the street macrocell and/or drops the call.

If it works in this one spot try to move little by litle away from the uCell towards the street - Where does the phone drops the uCell - How far can you go before the switch takes place?

Pls report your testing results.

SF.

We share similar type of patience... exactly what is needed to work out this nationwide ATT problem!

ATT support techs are nice and all but they can't give what they don't have as in they can't tell you what they don't know. The core issue of the uCell is that CISCO released a half-baked design to AT&T who never looked back to analyse support logs in depth. They seem to think the uCell works perfectly and issues are obviously caused by the ISP, modems and routers!!  Quite the contrary actually...

You can't call out on uCell but people call in...

1- Do Restart your phone from power down/power up to start with a clean slate

2- Try to make a call 2 feet away from the uCell. Does it work? if not what happens?

3- Does you phone shows it is connected on the "ATT MicroCell" before showing "call failed"?

I think what is going on is that your cellphone is on a swing between the street macrocell vs. your uCell and can't quite decide which one to use.

How to know if that is the case?

Call your cellphone from a land line being right where it does not work to call out and see if the cell phone can hang on to the ucell for more than 10 minutes or if it tries to switch to using the street macrocell and/or drops the call.

If it works in this one spot try to move little by litle away from the uCell towards the street - Where does the phone drops the uCell - How far can you go before the switch takes place?

Pls report your testing results.

SF.

[ Edited ]
5 of 9 (2,208 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2011 8:38:17 AM
(0)
Guru

I'm having the same issue with "Call Failed" errors on my iPhone 4S. I find it happens most frequently after I leave my house & come back, although this morning I had several failed calls before I even left my apartment.

I'm having the same issue with "Call Failed" errors on my iPhone 4S. I find it happens most frequently after I leave my house & come back, although this morning I had several failed calls before I even left my apartment.

6 of 9 (2,118 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2011 3:24:30 PM
(0)
Tutor

I believe this is a very common issue with iPhone 3gs, 4 and 4s.  I am using a 4s and have the same issue on 90% of calls.  ***Dial once, "call failed".  Dial a second time, "call failed".  Third time usually works.

I DO have a reliable work-around.  Turning off cellular data solved the issue compltetely.  Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data

Good news: I have not had the "call failed" issue since turning off cellular data.

Bad news: Visual voice mail and find my iPhone do not work with cellular data turned off.

For now, I set a reminder when I leave home to turn on cellular data.  Also when I get back home to turn off cellular data.  

Keeping my fingers crossed for a firmware update someday.

I believe this is a very common issue with iPhone 3gs, 4 and 4s.  I am using a 4s and have the same issue on 90% of calls.  ***Dial once, "call failed".  Dial a second time, "call failed".  Third time usually works.

I DO have a reliable work-around.  Turning off cellular data solved the issue compltetely.  Settings>General>Network>Cellular Data

Good news: I have not had the "call failed" issue since turning off cellular data.

Bad news: Visual voice mail and find my iPhone do not work with cellular data turned off.

For now, I set a reminder when I leave home to turn on cellular data.  Also when I get back home to turn off cellular data.  

Keeping my fingers crossed for a firmware update someday.

7 of 9 (2,095 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2011 2:10:37 PM
(0)
Contributor
Very helpful post, thank you!

I suffer from the same issue, even 3 feet away from my MicroCell tower.

With the tower powered off, I have generally have between 1 and 2 bars in my home office.

I have a fast Comcast high speed internet connection, with very low latency and fast (17s) ping times.
Very helpful post, thank you!

I suffer from the same issue, even 3 feet away from my MicroCell tower.

With the tower powered off, I have generally have between 1 and 2 bars in my home office.

I have a fast Comcast high speed internet connection, with very low latency and fast (17s) ping times.

8 of 9 (2,012 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 25, 2011 2:19:15 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by MJB0188 on Nov 25, 2011 at 2:19:39 PM

I also have an iPhone 4s and the solution to this problem is to turn off "cellular data" which disables the 3G connectivity on your phone.  So far I have noticed that calls are crystal clear and always go right through.  However, the downside to doing this is you can't send MMS or use visual voicemail.  Everytime you leave your house you'll want to enable cellular data so you can get a 3G connection.  

I also have an iPhone 4s and the solution to this problem is to turn off "cellular data" which disables the 3G connectivity on your phone.  So far I have noticed that calls are crystal clear and always go right through.  However, the downside to doing this is you can't send MMS or use visual voicemail.  Everytime you leave your house you'll want to enable cellular data so you can get a 3G connection.  

[ Edited ]
9 of 9 (1,970 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments