Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 18, 2009
6:21:50 AM
View profile
Unable to call to Japan

Hello everyone,

I am hoping perhaps someone can help me with this dilemma...  I have not been able to place a call to Japan using my cell phone...  Before I say anything else, two things:

1. First, I'm signed up with AT&T World connect, so I do have the capability for international call
  2. Second, when I dial, I use first the '011' to dial international, then '81' (Japan country code), then the number, which is a valid number

My cell phone is a Motorola V365...  Yes, it IS an old phone, but I have been able to dial internationally to other countries before, such as Malaysia, the Philippines, and even Europe...

THIS is the oddest part:  When getting the automated response, it keeps saying, "Your call cannot be completed as dialed (rest of message follows)..."  It is not even recognizing it as an INTERNATIONAL call!

I even tried putting some 'pauses' on the number, thinking the problem might be related on how the cell dials a number compared to a land-line phone:  No such luck...

At this point I'm thinking that I would probably wait until I'm eligible to upgrade my phone, but I do not want to wait that long...

Any information or help would be very much appreciated...

Thanks for your time...

Hello everyone,

I am hoping perhaps someone can help me with this dilemma...  I have not been able to place a call to Japan using my cell phone...  Before I say anything else, two things:

1. First, I'm signed up with AT&T World connect, so I do have the capability for international call
  2. Second, when I dial, I use first the '011' to dial international, then '81' (Japan country code), then the number, which is a valid number

My cell phone is a Motorola V365...  Yes, it IS an old phone, but I have been able to dial internationally to other countries before, such as Malaysia, the Philippines, and even Europe...

THIS is the oddest part:  When getting the automated response, it keeps saying, "Your call cannot be completed as dialed (rest of message follows)..."  It is not even recognizing it as an INTERNATIONAL call!

I even tried putting some 'pauses' on the number, thinking the problem might be related on how the cell dials a number compared to a land-line phone:  No such luck...

At this point I'm thinking that I would probably wait until I'm eligible to upgrade my phone, but I do not want to wait that long...

Any information or help would be very much appreciated...

Thanks for your time...

Unable to call to Japan

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2009 1:20:54 PM
(0)
Master

When dialing Japan sometimes you need to drop the zero in front of the city code for example a Tokyo number they normally start with 03 xxxx xxxx.  So to dial that number dial 011 81 3 xxxx xxxx.  You can also try using the + symbol instead of 011.  On a moto phone press and hold the zero hey until the + appears.  If you know you are dialing the number correctly and it still does not work call customer care for help 800.331.0500

When dialing Japan sometimes you need to drop the zero in front of the city code for example a Tokyo number they normally start with 03 xxxx xxxx.  So to dial that number dial 011 81 3 xxxx xxxx.  You can also try using the + symbol instead of 011.  On a moto phone press and hold the zero hey until the + appears.  If you know you are dialing the number correctly and it still does not work call customer care for help 800.331.0500

Re: Unable to call to Japan

2 of 2 (2,135 Views)