Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

Professor

Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

For some reason I was thinking I was going to be able to buy a new WP7 phone in 10 days.  Now the Wall Street Journal has confirmed that the WP7 will be announced in the US on Oct 11th and the first uunits will be for sale by att on November 8th.  Only att will have devices initially.  I am actually surprised that Europe has beat the US by a month with a Microsoft product.  I suppose we will have to listen to lot of second hand reporting about the wonders and faults of WP7 from our European bretheren.

The up side is that there are supposed to be MANY models available on the Nov 8th release.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/09/30/microsoft.known.showing.wp7.oct.11.shipping.nov.8/

Message 1 of 40 (1,901 Views)
Professor

Re: Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

[ Edited ]

One of the problems of the Streak is that the trend is for flagship phones to get bigger and bigger.  A year ago, people were complaining about the size of the Tilt2/Touch Pro 2.  Then came slightly bigger bigger phones, than the EVO.  And now the Streak.  At some point the general consumer is going to decide enough is enough, and with the Streak, I think they've gone past that line.  Sure, 0.7" doesn't seem like a lot.  But when you keep adding and adding and adding, you're eventually going to go over a cliff.

0.7" may not seem like a lot to some people.  But that diagonal screen size increase results in an increased length of 1.2" over the already hefty EVO (an increase of 25%), and pushes the Streak over the 6" length mark.  Huge for a "phone" by any means.

Of course, the other problem with the Streak (as already mentioned) is the greatly outdated Android build.  Also, while reviews indicate the device is solid, it still has some glaring issues such as poor audio and a proprietary connector.

Message 31 of 40 (1,458 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

redpoint73 wrote:

One of the problems of the Streak is that the trend is for flagship phones to get bigger and bigger.  A year ago, people were complaining about the size of the Tilt2/Touch Pro 2.  Then came slightly bigger bigger phones, than the EVO.  And now the Streak.  At some point the general consumer is going to decide enough is enough, and with the Streak, I think they've gone past that line.  Sure, 0.7" doesn't seem like a lot.  But when you keep adding and adding and adding, you're eventually going to go over a cliff.

0.7" may not seem like a lot to some people.  But that diagonal screen size increase results in an increased length of 1.2" over the already hefty EVO (an increase of 25%), and pushes the Streak over the 6" length mark.  Huge for a "phone" by any means.

Of course, the other problem with the Streak (as already mentioned) is the greatly outdated Android build.  Also, while reviews indicate the device is solid, it still has some glaring issues such as poor audio and a proprietary connector.

wait long enough and we will be back to the size of the old motorola bag phones that I started out with

Message 32 of 40 (1,450 Views)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:
wait long enough and we will be back to the size of the old motorola bag phones that I started out with

LOL,  no doubt!

Just to get back on topic, the Oct. 11 launch of WP7 is officially confirmed.  Both ATT and T-Mob will be unveiling handsets (and presumably/hopefully release dates?).

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-Phone-7-WP7-T-Mobile-AT-T-NYC,11410.html

Message 33 of 40 (1,431 Views)
Professor

redpoint73 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

LOL,  no doubt!

Just to get back on topic, the Oct. 11 launch of WP7 is officially confirmed.  Both ATT and T-Mob will be unveiling handsets (and presumably/hopefully release dates?).

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-Phone-7-WP7-T-Mobile-AT-T-NYC,11410.html

Redpoint73, any idea though what day we will be able to walk into an att store and walk out with a WP7?  That is where the confusion seems to be now.

Oct.  11 Launch date is confirmed.  That is fantastic and it puts us closer to ownership, but when can I purchase one?  Nov 8th?  Oct 25th as mentioned in a couple of sites?  There are even a couple of other sites that say the devices will go on sale on the 11th after the Launch.  I do not believe the 11th is possible, but what have you heard.  And I am talking US dates here.

Message 34 of 40 (1,421 Views)
Professor

Rumors on street dates have been all over the place, and nothing even remotely confirmed.

If ATT and T-Mob are unveiling devices at the NYC release event on Monday, I would be inclined to believe that they will also reveal release dates, but who knows?

WP7 is a big launch for Microsoft.  And it seems silly to release the OS without firm release dates on devices.  But that's just my gut saying that.

Message 35 of 40 (1,413 Views)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

diagoro wrote:

Dell carries is, not ATT, they just supply the service.....as you know all too well. I wouldn't consider ATT carrying a phone unless it's available on THEIR website or stores.....

ahh but ATT subsidized it with a 2 year contract.

Subsidized or not, they don't "carry" it in stores or in their own ATT warehouses. Technically, no one at ATT even needs to have any physical contact with the Streak. That, and both versions (locked/un) come free of any bloatware, so it's clear ATT never had anything to do with the phone. 

Message 36 of 40 (1,379 Views)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

diagoro wrote:

Dell carries is, not ATT, they just supply the service.....as you know all too well. I wouldn't consider ATT carrying a phone unless it's available on THEIR website or stores.....

ahh but ATT subsidized it with a 2 year contract.

Subsidized or not, they don't "carry" it in stores or in their own ATT warehouses. Technically, no one at ATT even needs to have any physical contact with the Streak. That, and both versions (locked/un) come free of any bloatware, so it's clear ATT never had anything to do with the phone. 

two words - So what, it is still in aht ATT stable and an official ATT phone. Just becasue you can't walk into a ATT store and get one or logon to the ATT site and get one does not make it any less of ATT sponsered phone. Do not see Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile or Bubba's Bait Tackle and Wireles proivers offering to pay a portion of the phone. By the way the subsidy price decrease is ONLY available with a ATT contract - that pretty much blows your theory.

Again something we agree with - ATT does not need to have physical contact with a device to have it heir phone, but it is obvious it is since if you don;'t have a ATT contract with it you pay a minimum of 549.00 for it.

Where exactly did I say that ATT had anything to do with the phone? Not sure where you came up with the idea that ATT has to have anything to do with a phone for it to be labeled as "their phone" but that is woefully incorrect.

Sorry but can;t find any verification that the phone does or does not have ATT applications on it, so will not continue discussion on that line of thought. No way to actually verify the consipiracy theorty.

But then again this is completely off topic, beciase this thread is not about a android device

Message 37 of 40 (1,359 Views)
Expert

Paolo01 wrote:

For some reason I was thinking I was going to be able to buy a new WP7 phone in 10 days.  Now the Wall Street Journal has confirmed that the WP7 will be announced in the US on Oct 11th and the first uunits will be for sale by att on November 8th.  Only att will have devices initially.  I am actually surprised that Europe has beat the US by a month with a Microsoft product.  I suppose we will have to listen to lot of second hand reporting about the wonders and faults of WP7 from our European bretheren.

The up side is that there are supposed to be MANY models available on the Nov 8th release.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/09/30/microsoft.known.showing.wp7.oct.11.shipping.nov.8/

Myself and some of my delveopers have just been invited to a meeting to show the upcoming windows 7 phones and a technical briefing on their capabilities on 10/28, will be refreshing to actually get some straight forward facts and be able to handle the phones - not to mention that fact that the company that is putting on the meeting is going to give away 10 Windows 7 phones as a door prize.

Message 38 of 40 (1,359 Views)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

Paolo01 wrote:

Myself and some of my delveopers have just been invited to a meeting to show the upcoming windows 7 phones and a technical briefing on their capabilities on 10/28, will be refreshing to actually get some straight forward facts and be able to handle the phones - not to mention that fact that the company that is putting on the meeting is going to give away 10 Windows 7 phones as a door prize.

Ughhh...10/28!  That means probably no domestic US phones on sale until November if you all are at all ahead of the power curve.  I was holding my breath a little bit for next week sales of WP7 handsets in the US.

Message 39 of 40 (1,325 Views)
Expert

Paolo01 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Paolo01 wrote:

Ughhh...10/28!  That means probably no domestic US phones on sale until November if you all are at all ahead of the power curve.  I was holding my breath a little bit for next week sales of WP7 handsets in the US.

had some disappointed techs at the office when I announced that, pretty much the same reaction.

Message 40 of 40 (1,313 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.