Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

Professor

Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

For some reason I was thinking I was going to be able to buy a new WP7 phone in 10 days.  Now the Wall Street Journal has confirmed that the WP7 will be announced in the US on Oct 11th and the first uunits will be for sale by att on November 8th.  Only att will have devices initially.  I am actually surprised that Europe has beat the US by a month with a Microsoft product.  I suppose we will have to listen to lot of second hand reporting about the wonders and faults of WP7 from our European bretheren.

 

The up side is that there are supposed to be MANY models available on the Nov 8th release.

 

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/09/30/microsoft.known.showing.wp7.oct.11.shipping.nov.8/

 

Message 1 of 40 (1,911 Views)
Expert

Re: Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well


gammite wrote:

nothing i have read about windows phone 7 has me excited. at all.


from a business prospective - yes, but that that is all I am concerned about with the windows 7 phone. whish they would drop a release minus all the social junk - aka "bloatware" that the companies add.

Message 16 of 40 (924 Views)
Professor

Re: Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

 


wingrider01 wrote:

gammite wrote:

nothing i have read about windows phone 7 has me excited. at all.


from a business prospective - yes, but that that is all I am concerned about with the windows 7 phone. whish they would drop a release minus all the social junk - aka "bloatware" that the companies add.


Not to side track all of this great WP7 talk, but wingrider you bring up a point about something I have always wondered about.  If you use a phone for business through a business account, why doesn't your firm simply contract the phones from att configured with the software that they want installed and nothing more?  This is what my company does.  My business phone arrives from att preconfigured to my comany's specs.  No additional bloatware or anything my company has not 'approved'.  In my case that means no 'IM' stuff and a lot of other 'nice to haves'.  Maybe we can do this because we purchase a lot of phones, but I have always thought that was the entiree point of having a business account.  Because you sure as heck do noot save any money with business accounts and the data plans are even more restrictive.  Oh, we get no cameras on our phones as well :-(

 

Message 17 of 40 (910 Views)
Expert

Re: Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

[ Edited ]

Paolo01 wrote:

 


wingrider01 wrote:

gammite wrote:

nothing i have read about windows phone 7 has me excited. at all.


from a business prospective - yes, but that that is all I am concerned about with the windows 7 phone. whish they would drop a release minus all the social junk - aka "bloatware" that the companies add.


Not to side track all of this great WP7 talk, but wingrider you bring up a point about something I have always wondered about.  If you use a phone for business through a business account, why doesn't your firm simply contract the phones from att configured with the software that they want installed and nothing more?  This is what my company does.  My business phone arrives from att preconfigured to my comany's specs.  No additional bloatware or anything my company has not 'approved'.  In my case that means no 'IM' stuff and a lot of other 'nice to haves'.  Maybe we can do this because we purchase a lot of phones, but I have always thought that was the entiree point of having a business account.  Because you sure as heck do noot save any money with business accounts and the data plans are even more restrictive.  Oh, we get no cameras on our phones as well :-(

 


One of our departments do vertical market applications for specific industries - healthcare to name one, and not inexpensive ones - we are developers. the only phones we use are the ones that are issued to the developers for projects and our sales weasels that sell the applications and the long term support contracts. 

 

For any service provider to do that you have to commit to a specific number of phones purcahsed per calander year, we do not qualify at all for that, I have less then 500 employees nationally and internationally, most of them do not qualify for a company supplied cell phone. small business for the win 

Message 18 of 40 (906 Views)
Mentor

Re: Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well


wingrider01 wrote:

gammite wrote:

nothing i have read about windows phone 7 has me excited. at all.


from a business prospective - yes. 


no tethering. no cut/paste. no multitasking third party apps.

 

sounds an awful lot like an 2g iphone.

 

from a business perspective (i own my own) these are true deal breakers.  i do ALOT with my tilt 2.  those three things being ommitted would kill me when i am on the road.

Message 19 of 40 (885 Views)
Scholar

Re: Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

from a business prospective - yes, but that that is all I am concerned about with the windows 7 phone. whish they would drop a release minus all the social junk - aka "bloatware" that the companies add.


And to think Wingrider was recently berating me about several others (including myself) using the term bloatware and being upset about its proliferation........

I will say that I was 90% against what I've seen from WP7, but was willing to give a look once it was released. The lack of any forward-looking devices on launch will have me turning away. Again, ATT will have only one phone with a screen up to 4", The Captivate. The lack of removable memory really kills the deal, as they want to push people towards using their "cloud accounts" for storage. 

Others may not have agreed with me, but I really think ATT/Microsoft are trying to get around the 'bootloaders' that have helped to sidestep prior attempts at side loading. That's especially the case if one would want to record 720p, you'd have to keep memory open.

I'd hate to see WP7 fail, but the first line-up would have been news at least 6 months ago. Old phone, 2 year contract. Anyone who is smart will wait and see what the other carriers will have next year.

 

Message 20 of 40 (871 Views)
Expert

Re: Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well


diagoro wrote:

from a business prospective - yes, but that that is all I am concerned about with the windows 7 phone. whish they would drop a release minus all the social junk - aka "bloatware" that the companies add.


And to think Wingrider was recently berating me about several others (including myself) using the term bloatware and being upset about its proliferation........

I will say that I was 90% against what I've seen from WP7, but was willing to give a look once it was released. The lack of any forward-looking devices on launch will have me turning away. Again, ATT will have only one phone with a screen up to 4", The Captivate. The lack of removable memory really kills the deal, as they want to push people towards using their "cloud accounts" for storage. 

Others may not have agreed with me, but I really think ATT/Microsoft are trying to get around the 'bootloaders' that have helped to sidestep prior attempts at side loading. That's especially the case if one would want to record 720p, you'd have to keep memory open.

I'd hate to see WP7 fail, but the first line-up would have been news at least 6 months ago. Old phone, 2 year contract. Anyone who is smart will wait and see what the other carriers will have next year.

 


I am talking a business level phone, could care less what they put on a retail level phone.

 

Interesting that you state that ATT will only have 1 phone with a screen up to 4 inchs - considering the Dell Streaks (one that ATT will be carriering) show a screen size of 5 inches

 

http://www.gsmarena.com/dell_streak-3353.php 

 

 

 

Message 21 of 40 (846 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

Dell carries is, not ATT, they just supply the service.....as you know all too well. I wouldn't consider ATT carrying a phone unless it's available on THEIR website or stores.....

Message 22 of 40 (815 Views)
Professor

Re: Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

Also, some are considering the Dell Streak as more of a hybrid device, a small tablet which happens to have phone capability; rather than a phone (due to its considerable size).  But you say tomato, and I say . . . something something.

Message 23 of 40 (809 Views)
Scholar

Re: Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

I think the only people who are considering the Dell Streak a hybrid is Dell.  It is just a big phone.   Besides the 5 inch screen, it shares pretty much the same specs as an HTC Evo 4g.  The problem with the Streak is its old operating system Android 1.6 and the fact that I consider $299 too much to pay for the phone when Sprint and Verizon are sellling the HTC Evo and the Motorola Droid X for $100 less.

Message 24 of 40 (797 Views)
Scholar

Re: Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

The old operating system and lack of timely update has been an issue for many of ATT's phones. If I'm not mistaken, the only android device released with a 'current/recent' version was the Captivate. Too bad ATT takes so long to get updates out (if at all), I'm wondering if it's all the bloatware they shove in there that takes all that extra time.....

Guess the WP7 devices will get the latest OS.....by default

Message 25 of 40 (770 Views)
Professor

Re: Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

 


diagoro wrote:

The old operating system and lack of timely update has been an issue for many of ATT's phones. If I'm not mistaken, the only android device released with a 'current/recent' version was the Captivate. Too bad ATT takes so long to get updates out (if at all), I'm wondering if it's all the bloatware they shove in there that takes all that extra time.....

Guess the WP7 devices will get the latest OS.....by default


I have come to the conclusion after 15 years of of att service (Pac Bell, Cingular, etc...) that att simply does not upgrade OS's.  Even with my smartphones, Startrek, Tilt, Fuze, Blackberry Bold which have been promised upgrades, I have not seen a single one.  In the end, you end up turning to XDA etc if you really want a cutting edge OS version on your phone.

 

 

Do not buy att if you want automatically updated devices.

 

I am very curious to see how the WP7 over the air auto updates work out and if att will try and somehow curtail these.  I really hope not. 

 

Message 26 of 40 (765 Views)
Expert

Re: Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well


diagoro wrote:

Dell carries is, not ATT, they just supply the service.....as you know all too well. I wouldn't consider ATT carrying a phone unless it's available on THEIR website or stores.....


ahh but ATT subsidized it with a 2 year contract.

Message 27 of 40 (760 Views)
Expert

Re: Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well


redpoint73 wrote:

Also, some are considering the Dell Streak as more of a hybrid device, a small tablet which happens to have phone capability; rather than a phone (due to its considerable size).  But you say tomato, and I say . . . something something.


the same people consider the captivate a hybrid with it's large screen also, so it is just a matter of definition and personal preference.

Message 28 of 40 (759 Views)
Professor

Re: Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

Of course its a matter of personal preference and perspective, therefore my comment "You say tomato . . .". 

 

But nearly every review you will read about the Dell Streak will call it a tablet, compare it to the iPad, or make statements like "unusual form factor", "odd duck", or "neither phone nor tablet".  You do not see these things being said about the Captivate or EVO.

 

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/dell-streak-694319/review

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/07/28/review-dell-streak/

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/dell_streak_review

 

Message 29 of 40 (724 Views)
Scholar

Re: Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

I doubt that the xtra .7 inches diagnally on the screen causes that redpoint73.  It is because Dell marketed the Streak as a tablet.  The problem Dell is running into is that the Streak does not have the specs to differentiate itself from a cell phone.

Message 30 of 40 (712 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.