Wireless Forums

Posted Sep 30, 2010
3:47:16 PM
View profile
Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

For some reason I was thinking I was going to be able to buy a new WP7 phone in 10 days.  Now the Wall Street Journal has confirmed that the WP7 will be announced in the US on Oct 11th and the first uunits will be for sale by att on November 8th.  Only att will have devices initially.  I am actually surprised that Europe has beat the US by a month with a Microsoft product.  I suppose we will have to listen to lot of second hand reporting about the wonders and faults of WP7 from our European bretheren.

The up side is that there are supposed to be MANY models available on the Nov 8th release.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/09/30/microsoft.known.showing.wp7.oct.11.shipping.nov.8/

For some reason I was thinking I was going to be able to buy a new WP7 phone in 10 days.  Now the Wall Street Journal has confirmed that the WP7 will be announced in the US on Oct 11th and the first uunits will be for sale by att on November 8th.  Only att will have devices initially.  I am actually surprised that Europe has beat the US by a month with a Microsoft product.  I suppose we will have to listen to lot of second hand reporting about the wonders and faults of WP7 from our European bretheren.

The up side is that there are supposed to be MANY models available on the Nov 8th release.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/09/30/microsoft.known.showing.wp7.oct.11.shipping.nov.8/

Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

39 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(39)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2010 3:58:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

HTC is supposed to be having an event for their WP7 phones on Oct. 7.

Re: Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

2 of 40 (1,645 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2010 4:12:51 PM
(0)
Professor

UHmump95 wrote:

UHmump95, you seem to know a lot about this.  Do you know which phone is HTC WP7 flagship?  I'd like to stick to HTC, but I want a powermodel rather than a pedestrian model.  So far it looks like the Samsung or even the Dell are setting the pace.  But funnily enough, we have not seen a flagship quality HTC model.

UHmump95 wrote:

UHmump95, you seem to know a lot about this.  Do you know which phone is HTC WP7 flagship?  I'd like to stick to HTC, but I want a powermodel rather than a pedestrian model.  So far it looks like the Samsung or even the Dell are setting the pace.  But funnily enough, we have not seen a flagship quality HTC model.

3 of 40 (1,639 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2010 7:05:52 PM
(0)
Professor

The official WSJ article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704483004575523940577184032.html?KEYWORDS=Windows+Phon...

Bummer...WSJ indicates that on teh 8th of November there will be only one handset from each of the three premier partners.

"AT&T plans to sell the devices the week of Nov. 8. Initially, the carrier will offer three handsets—one each made by Samsung Electronics Co., LG Electronics Inc., and HTC Corp."

The official WSJ article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704483004575523940577184032.html?KEYWORDS=Windows+Phone+7

Bummer...WSJ indicates that on teh 8th of November there will be only one handset from each of the three premier partners.

"AT&T plans to sell the devices the week of Nov. 8. Initially, the carrier will offer three handsets—one each made by Samsung Electronics Co., LG Electronics Inc., and HTC Corp."

4 of 40 (1,604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 9:32:56 AM
(0)
Scholar

According to what I have been reading on the web, the HTc Mondrian aka Spark is supposed to be the flagship device for HTC.

According to what I have been reading on the web, the HTc Mondrian aka Spark is supposed to be the flagship device for HTC.

5 of 40 (1,538 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 12:18:01 PM
(0)
Professor

UHmump95 wrote:

Hmmm...I may be going this direction.  But I would really like a hardware keyboard.  This may have to be my interim phone until a Q1 2011 model comes out with upgraded processor and keyboard.  My Fuze is simply on borrowed time.  I'll be lucky if it makes it until Nov 8th.

UHmump95 wrote:

Hmmm...I may be going this direction.  But I would really like a hardware keyboard.  This may have to be my interim phone until a Q1 2011 model comes out with upgraded processor and keyboard.  My Fuze is simply on borrowed time.  I'll be lucky if it makes it until Nov 8th.

6 of 40 (1,523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 8:33:18 PM
(0)
Professor

I really wish that the screen was larger than 3.8 inches as well.  This phone is so close but it just seems like six months ago's technology.  It needs a 1.3 GHz processor and a larger screen for starters.  16 or 32 gigs of storage instead of 8.

I really wish that the screen was larger than 3.8 inches as well.  This phone is so close but it just seems like six months ago's technology.  It needs a 1.3 GHz processor and a larger screen for starters.  16 or 32 gigs of storage instead of 8.

7 of 40 (1,479 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 11:33:34 PM
(0)
Mentor

I don't think the Mondrian seems like old technology. If it comes with a 1.3 GHz processor (as is rumored), it would be one of the fastest phones out there, much faster than the Droid 2 and iPhone 4's 1 GHz processor.

What seems old to you?

Paolo01 wrote:

I don't think the Mondrian seems like old technology. If it comes with a 1.3 GHz processor (as is rumored), it would be one of the fastest phones out there, much faster than the Droid 2 and iPhone 4's 1 GHz processor.

What seems old to you?

Paolo01 wrote:

8 of 40 (1,468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 4:25:32 AM
(0)
Professor

AllanUSC wrote:

What seems old to you?

Paolo01 wrote:

You would be right if the production level phone is released with a 1.3 GHz processor.  However, all of the pre release models being tested right now by att are of the 1.0 Ghz variety.  That and the small amount of internal storage.  8 gig.  That just seems like it is really limited for an everything phone.  I am not a music guy, but that would barely store my apps and have enough buffer for browser useage.  I think that a mobile without external storage which is going to compete with Apple should have at least 16 if not 32 gig.

I want to support this OS from Microsoft.  I think that the competition is critical, however, is see myself having to purchase two phones in the next six months if I am an early adapter.  I do not think most people will be like this and the slow introduction of phones that are less capable will crush the new,very nice OS.

AllanUSC wrote:

What seems old to you?

Paolo01 wrote:

You would be right if the production level phone is released with a 1.3 GHz processor.  However, all of the pre release models being tested right now by att are of the 1.0 Ghz variety.  That and the small amount of internal storage.  8 gig.  That just seems like it is really limited for an everything phone.  I am not a music guy, but that would barely store my apps and have enough buffer for browser useage.  I think that a mobile without external storage which is going to compete with Apple should have at least 16 if not 32 gig.

I want to support this OS from Microsoft.  I think that the competition is critical, however, is see myself having to purchase two phones in the next six months if I am an early adapter.  I do not think most people will be like this and the slow introduction of phones that are less capable will crush the new,very nice OS.

9 of 40 (1,457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 5:25:47 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Oct 2, 2010 at 5:30:55 AM

Paolo01 wrote:

AllanUSC wrote:

What seems old to you?

Paolo01 wrote:

Interesting thing though - most all the specs I have seen show the phones that ar supposed to be released having a micro-sd card slot on them. The specs for the LG Monaco (Pico) show micro sd up to 16gb.

Paolo01 wrote:

AllanUSC wrote:

What seems old to you?

Paolo01 wrote:

Interesting thing though - most all the specs I have seen show the phones that ar supposed to be released having a micro-sd card slot on them. The specs for the LG Monaco (Pico) show micro sd up to 16gb.

[ Edited ]
10 of 40 (1,452 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 9:35:52 AM
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

There is no micro SD slot on WP7 phones.  The phones only have internal storage.

wingrider01 wrote:

There is no micro SD slot on WP7 phones.  The phones only have internal storage.

11 of 40 (790 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 12:32:30 PM
(0)
Expert

Paolo01 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

the specs that are publiched on this phone shows a slot, it maybe but it does show it.  I do know that a lot that is published on the interet is smoke from the 5th estate to get hits and sell papers though. If the phones hit the streets like that it is a remake of the ford edsel.

Paolo01 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

the specs that are publiched on this phone shows a slot, it maybe but it does show it.  I do know that a lot that is published on the interet is smoke from the 5th estate to get hits and sell papers though. If the phones hit the streets like that it is a remake of the ford edsel.

12 of 40 (781 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 1:34:59 PM
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

Paolo01 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Hopefully you are correct.  But the specs clearly state that it contains a non removeable 8GB micro SD (internal).

wingrider01 wrote:

Paolo01 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Hopefully you are correct.  But the specs clearly state that it contains a non removeable 8GB micro SD (internal).

13 of 40 (772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 2:21:54 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Oct 2, 2010 at 2:22:15 PM

Paolo01 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Paolo01 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

hope it does, without the additional memory it pretty well kills it for our business in vertical market applications. 8GB is no where near enough storage.

Paolo01 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Paolo01 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

hope it does, without the additional memory it pretty well kills it for our business in vertical market applications. 8GB is no where near enough storage.

[ Edited ]
14 of 40 (759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 8:28:20 PM
(0)
Mentor

nothing i have read about windows phone 7 has me excited. at all.

15 of 40 (743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 4:12:44 AM
(0)
Expert

gammite wrote:

from a business prospective - yes, but that that is all I am concerned about with the windows 7 phone. whish they would drop a release minus all the social junk - aka "bloatware" that the companies add.

gammite wrote:

from a business prospective - yes, but that that is all I am concerned about with the windows 7 phone. whish they would drop a release minus all the social junk - aka "bloatware" that the companies add.

16 of 40 (727 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 7:39:44 AM
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

gammite wrote:

Not to side track all of this great WP7 talk, but wingrider you bring up a point about something I have always wondered about.  If you use a phone for business through a business account, why doesn't your firm simply contract the phones from att configured with the software that they want installed and nothing more?  This is what my company does.  My business phone arrives from att preconfigured to my comany's specs.  No additional bloatware or anything my company has not 'approved'.  In my case that means no 'IM' stuff and a lot of other 'nice to haves'.  Maybe we can do this because we purchase a lot of phones, but I have always thought that was the entiree point of having a business account.  Because you sure as heck do noot save any money with business accounts and the data plans are even more restrictive.  Oh, we get no cameras on our phones as well :-(

wingrider01 wrote:

gammite wrote:

Not to side track all of this great WP7 talk, but wingrider you bring up a point about something I have always wondered about.  If you use a phone for business through a business account, why doesn't your firm simply contract the phones from att configured with the software that they want installed and nothing more?  This is what my company does.  My business phone arrives from att preconfigured to my comany's specs.  No additional bloatware or anything my company has not 'approved'.  In my case that means no 'IM' stuff and a lot of other 'nice to haves'.  Maybe we can do this because we purchase a lot of phones, but I have always thought that was the entiree point of having a business account.  Because you sure as heck do noot save any money with business accounts and the data plans are even more restrictive.  Oh, we get no cameras on our phones as well :-(

17 of 40 (713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 8:29:06 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Oct 3, 2010 at 8:29:52 AM

Paolo01 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

gammite wrote:

One of our departments do vertical market applications for specific industries - healthcare to name one, and not inexpensive ones - we are developers. the only phones we use are the ones that are issued to the developers for projects and our sales weasels that sell the applications and the long term support contracts. 

For any service provider to do that you have to commit to a specific number of phones purcahsed per calander year, we do not qualify at all for that, I have less then 500 employees nationally and internationally, most of them do not qualify for a company supplied cell phone. small business for the win 

Paolo01 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

gammite wrote:

One of our departments do vertical market applications for specific industries - healthcare to name one, and not inexpensive ones - we are developers. the only phones we use are the ones that are issued to the developers for projects and our sales weasels that sell the applications and the long term support contracts. 

For any service provider to do that you have to commit to a specific number of phones purcahsed per calander year, we do not qualify at all for that, I have less then 500 employees nationally and internationally, most of them do not qualify for a company supplied cell phone. small business for the win 

[ Edited ]
18 of 40 (709 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 3:01:00 PM
(0)
Mentor

wingrider01 wrote:

gammite wrote:

from a business prospective - yes. 

no tethering. no cut/paste. no multitasking third party apps.

sounds an awful lot like an 2g iphone.

from a business perspective (i own my own) these are true deal breakers.  i do ALOT with my tilt 2.  those three things being ommitted would kill me when i am on the road.

wingrider01 wrote:

gammite wrote:

from a business prospective - yes. 

no tethering. no cut/paste. no multitasking third party apps.

sounds an awful lot like an 2g iphone.

from a business perspective (i own my own) these are true deal breakers.  i do ALOT with my tilt 2.  those three things being ommitted would kill me when i am on the road.

19 of 40 (688 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 6:01:40 PM
(0)
Scholar

And to think Wingrider was recently berating me about several others (including myself) using the term bloatware and being upset about its proliferation........

I will say that I was 90% against what I've seen from WP7, but was willing to give a look once it was released. The lack of any forward-looking devices on launch will have me turning away. Again, ATT will have only one phone with a screen up to 4", The Captivate. The lack of removable memory really kills the deal, as they want to push people towards using their "cloud accounts" for storage. 

Others may not have agreed with me, but I really think ATT/Microsoft are trying to get around the 'bootloaders' that have helped to sidestep prior attempts at side loading. That's especially the case if one would want to record 720p, you'd have to keep memory open.

I'd hate to see WP7 fail, but the first line-up would have been news at least 6 months ago. Old phone, 2 year contract. Anyone who is smart will wait and see what the other carriers will have next year.

And to think Wingrider was recently berating me about several others (including myself) using the term bloatware and being upset about its proliferation........

I will say that I was 90% against what I've seen from WP7, but was willing to give a look once it was released. The lack of any forward-looking devices on launch will have me turning away. Again, ATT will have only one phone with a screen up to 4", The Captivate. The lack of removable memory really kills the deal, as they want to push people towards using their "cloud accounts" for storage. 

Others may not have agreed with me, but I really think ATT/Microsoft are trying to get around the 'bootloaders' that have helped to sidestep prior attempts at side loading. That's especially the case if one would want to record 720p, you'd have to keep memory open.

I'd hate to see WP7 fail, but the first line-up would have been news at least 6 months ago. Old phone, 2 year contract. Anyone who is smart will wait and see what the other carriers will have next year.

20 of 40 (674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 3:31:11 AM
(0)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

I am talking a business level phone, could care less what they put on a retail level phone.

Interesting that you state that ATT will only have 1 phone with a screen up to 4 inchs - considering the Dell Streaks (one that ATT will be carriering) show a screen size of 5 inches

http://www.gsmarena.com/dell_streak-3353.php 

diagoro wrote:

I am talking a business level phone, could care less what they put on a retail level phone.

Interesting that you state that ATT will only have 1 phone with a screen up to 4 inchs - considering the Dell Streaks (one that ATT will be carriering) show a screen size of 5 inches

http://www.gsmarena.com/dell_streak-3353.php 

21 of 40 (649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 11:34:30 AM
(0)
Scholar

Dell carries is, not ATT, they just supply the service.....as you know all too well. I wouldn't consider ATT carrying a phone unless it's available on THEIR website or stores.....

Dell carries is, not ATT, they just supply the service.....as you know all too well. I wouldn't consider ATT carrying a phone unless it's available on THEIR website or stores.....

22 of 40 (618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 12:02:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Also, some are considering the Dell Streak as more of a hybrid device, a small tablet which happens to have phone capability; rather than a phone (due to its considerable size).  But you say tomato, and I say . . . something something.

Also, some are considering the Dell Streak as more of a hybrid device, a small tablet which happens to have phone capability; rather than a phone (due to its considerable size).  But you say tomato, and I say . . . something something.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

23 of 40 (612 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 12:42:38 PM
(0)
Scholar

I think the only people who are considering the Dell Streak a hybrid is Dell.  It is just a big phone.   Besides the 5 inch screen, it shares pretty much the same specs as an HTC Evo 4g.  The problem with the Streak is its old operating system Android 1.6 and the fact that I consider $299 too much to pay for the phone when Sprint and Verizon are sellling the HTC Evo and the Motorola Droid X for $100 less.

I think the only people who are considering the Dell Streak a hybrid is Dell.  It is just a big phone.   Besides the 5 inch screen, it shares pretty much the same specs as an HTC Evo 4g.  The problem with the Streak is its old operating system Android 1.6 and the fact that I consider $299 too much to pay for the phone when Sprint and Verizon are sellling the HTC Evo and the Motorola Droid X for $100 less.

24 of 40 (600 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 3:00:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

The old operating system and lack of timely update has been an issue for many of ATT's phones. If I'm not mistaken, the only android device released with a 'current/recent' version was the Captivate. Too bad ATT takes so long to get updates out (if at all), I'm wondering if it's all the bloatware they shove in there that takes all that extra time.....

Guess the WP7 devices will get the latest OS.....by default

The old operating system and lack of timely update has been an issue for many of ATT's phones. If I'm not mistaken, the only android device released with a 'current/recent' version was the Captivate. Too bad ATT takes so long to get updates out (if at all), I'm wondering if it's all the bloatware they shove in there that takes all that extra time.....

25 of 40 (573 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 3:46:50 PM
(0)
Professor

diagoro wrote:

I have come to the conclusion after 15 years of of att service (Pac Bell, Cingular, etc...) that att simply does not upgrade OS's.  Even with my smartphones, Startrek, Tilt, Fuze, Blackberry Bold which have been promised upgrades, I have not seen a single one.  In the end, you end up turning to XDA etc if you really want a cutting edge OS version on your phone.

Do not buy att if you want automatically updated devices.

I am very curious to see how the WP7 over the air auto updates work out and if att will try and somehow curtail these.  I really hope not. 

diagoro wrote:

I have come to the conclusion after 15 years of of att service (Pac Bell, Cingular, etc...) that att simply does not upgrade OS's.  Even with my smartphones, Startrek, Tilt, Fuze, Blackberry Bold which have been promised upgrades, I have not seen a single one.  In the end, you end up turning to XDA etc if you really want a cutting edge OS version on your phone.

Do not buy att if you want automatically updated devices.

I am very curious to see how the WP7 over the air auto updates work out and if att will try and somehow curtail these.  I really hope not. 

26 of 40 (568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 3:52:33 PM
(0)
Expert

diagoro wrote:

ahh but ATT subsidized it with a 2 year contract.

diagoro wrote:

ahh but ATT subsidized it with a 2 year contract.

27 of 40 (563 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 3:54:45 PM
(0)
Expert

redpoint73 wrote:

the same people consider the captivate a hybrid with it's large screen also, so it is just a matter of definition and personal preference.

redpoint73 wrote:

the same people consider the captivate a hybrid with it's large screen also, so it is just a matter of definition and personal preference.

28 of 40 (562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2010 6:56:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Of course its a matter of personal preference and perspective, therefore my comment "You say tomato . . .". 

But nearly every review you will read about the Dell Streak will call it a tablet, compare it to the iPad, or make statements like "unusual form factor", "odd duck", or "neither phone nor tablet".  You do not see these things being said about the Captivate or EVO.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/dell-streak-694319/review

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/07/28/review-dell-streak/

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/dell_streak_review

Of course its a matter of personal preference and perspective, therefore my comment "You say tomato . . .". 

But nearly every review you will read about the Dell Streak will call it a tablet, compare it to the iPad, or make statements like "unusual form factor", "odd duck", or "neither phone nor tablet".  You do not see these things being said about the Captivate or EVO.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/dell-streak-694319/review

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/07/28/review-dell-streak/

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/dell_streak_review

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

29 of 40 (527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2010 8:24:15 AM
(0)
Scholar

I doubt that the xtra .7 inches diagnally on the screen causes that redpoint73.  It is because Dell marketed the Streak as a tablet.  The problem Dell is running into is that the Streak does not have the specs to differentiate itself from a cell phone.

I doubt that the xtra .7 inches diagnally on the screen causes that redpoint73.  It is because Dell marketed the Streak as a tablet.  The problem Dell is running into is that the Streak does not have the specs to differentiate itself from a cell phone.

30 of 40 (515 Views)