Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

Professor

Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

For some reason I was thinking I was going to be able to buy a new WP7 phone in 10 days.  Now the Wall Street Journal has confirmed that the WP7 will be announced in the US on Oct 11th and the first uunits will be for sale by att on November 8th.  Only att will have devices initially.  I am actually surprised that Europe has beat the US by a month with a Microsoft product.  I suppose we will have to listen to lot of second hand reporting about the wonders and faults of WP7 from our European bretheren.

The up side is that there are supposed to be MANY models available on the Nov 8th release.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/09/30/microsoft.known.showing.wp7.oct.11.shipping.nov.8/

Message 1 of 40 (1,904 Views)
Scholar

Re: Ughhh,,,WSJ reports Nov 8 WP7 release date as well

HTC is supposed to be having an event for their WP7 phones on Oct. 7.

Message 2 of 40 (1,841 Views)
Professor

UHmump95 wrote:

HTC is supposed to be having an event for their WP7 phones on Oct. 7.

UHmump95, you seem to know a lot about this.  Do you know which phone is HTC WP7 flagship?  I'd like to stick to HTC, but I want a powermodel rather than a pedestrian model.  So far it looks like the Samsung or even the Dell are setting the pace.  But funnily enough, we have not seen a flagship quality HTC model.

Message 3 of 40 (1,835 Views)
Professor

The official WSJ article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704483004575523940577184032.html?KEYWORDS=Windows+Phon...

Bummer...WSJ indicates that on teh 8th of November there will be only one handset from each of the three premier partners.

"AT&T plans to sell the devices the week of Nov. 8. Initially, the carrier will offer three handsets—one each made by Samsung Electronics Co., LG Electronics Inc., and HTC Corp."

Message 4 of 40 (1,800 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

According to what I have been reading on the web, the HTc Mondrian aka Spark is supposed to be the flagship device for HTC.

Message 5 of 40 (1,734 Views)
Professor

UHmump95 wrote:

According to what I have been reading on the web, the HTc Mondrian aka Spark is supposed to be the flagship device for HTC.

Hmmm...I may be going this direction.  But I would really like a hardware keyboard.  This may have to be my interim phone until a Q1 2011 model comes out with upgraded processor and keyboard.  My Fuze is simply on borrowed time.  I'll be lucky if it makes it until Nov 8th.

Message 6 of 40 (1,719 Views)
Professor

I really wish that the screen was larger than 3.8 inches as well.  This phone is so close but it just seems like six months ago's technology.  It needs a 1.3 GHz processor and a larger screen for starters.  16 or 32 gigs of storage instead of 8.

Message 7 of 40 (1,675 Views)
Mentor

I don't think the Mondrian seems like old technology. If it comes with a 1.3 GHz processor (as is rumored), it would be one of the fastest phones out there, much faster than the Droid 2 and iPhone 4's 1 GHz processor.

What seems old to you?

Paolo01 wrote:

I really wish that the screen was larger than 3.8 inches as well.  This phone is so close but it just seems like six months ago's technology.  It needs a 1.3 GHz processor and a larger screen for starters.  16 or 32 gigs of storage instead of 8.

Message 8 of 40 (1,664 Views)
Professor

AllanUSC wrote:

I don't think the Mondrian seems like old technology. If it comes with a 1.3 GHz processor (as is rumored), it would be one of the fastest phones out there, much faster than the Droid 2 and iPhone 4's 1 GHz processor.

What seems old to you?

Paolo01 wrote:

You would be right if the production level phone is released with a 1.3 GHz processor.  However, all of the pre release models being tested right now by att are of the 1.0 Ghz variety.  That and the small amount of internal storage.  8 gig.  That just seems like it is really limited for an everything phone.  I am not a music guy, but that would barely store my apps and have enough buffer for browser useage.  I think that a mobile without external storage which is going to compete with Apple should have at least 16 if not 32 gig.

I want to support this OS from Microsoft.  I think that the competition is critical, however, is see myself having to purchase two phones in the next six months if I am an early adapter.  I do not think most people will be like this and the slow introduction of phones that are less capable will crush the new,very nice OS.

Message 9 of 40 (1,653 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Paolo01 wrote:

AllanUSC wrote:

What seems old to you?

Paolo01 wrote:

You would be right if the production level phone is released with a 1.3 GHz processor.  However, all of the pre release models being tested right now by att are of the 1.0 Ghz variety.  That and the small amount of internal storage.  8 gig.  That just seems like it is really limited for an everything phone.  I am not a music guy, but that would barely store my apps and have enough buffer for browser useage.  I think that a mobile without external storage which is going to compete with Apple should have at least 16 if not 32 gig.

I want to support this OS from Microsoft.  I think that the competition is critical, however, is see myself having to purchase two phones in the next six months if I am an early adapter.  I do not think most people will be like this and the slow introduction of phones that are less capable will crush the new,very nice OS.

Interesting thing though - most all the specs I have seen show the phones that ar supposed to be released having a micro-sd card slot on them. The specs for the LG Monaco (Pico) show micro sd up to 16gb.

Message 10 of 40 (1,648 Views)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

Interesting thing though - most all the specs I have seen show the phones that ar supposed to be released having a micro-sd card slot on them. The specs for the LG Monaco (Pico) show micro sd up to 16gb.

There is no micro SD slot on WP7 phones.  The phones only have internal storage.

Message 11 of 40 (986 Views)
Expert

Paolo01 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

There is no micro SD slot on WP7 phones.  The phones only have internal storage.

the specs that are publiched on this phone shows a slot, it maybe but it does show it.  I do know that a lot that is published on the interet is smoke from the 5th estate to get hits and sell papers though. If the phones hit the streets like that it is a remake of the ford edsel.

Message 12 of 40 (977 Views)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

Paolo01 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

the specs that are publiched on this phone shows a slot, it maybe but it does show it.  I do know that a lot that is published on the interet is smoke from the 5th estate to get hits and sell papers though. If the phones hit the streets like that it is a remake of the ford edsel.

Hopefully you are correct.  But the specs clearly state that it contains a non removeable 8GB micro SD (internal).

Message 13 of 40 (968 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Paolo01 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Paolo01 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Hopefully you are correct.  But the specs clearly state that it contains a non removeable 8GB micro SD (internal).

hope it does, without the additional memory it pretty well kills it for our business in vertical market applications. 8GB is no where near enough storage.

Message 14 of 40 (955 Views)
Mentor

nothing i have read about windows phone 7 has me excited. at all.

Message 15 of 40 (939 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.