Helpful Links

USING the GPS feature on IPhone 3GS & Does it use Data?

Contributor

USING the GPS feature on IPhone 3GS & Does it use Data?

I've been reading, and see different opinions.

I want to use my Iphone when I travel across the US and have a small Data Plan.

Can anyone tell me, if, when I'm using the IPhone 3GS, as a GPS, will it suck up all of my Data Minutes?

Then, I may consider, purchasing a TOM TOM, or Garmin GPS...

ThanksSmiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 5
Professor

Re: USING the GPS feature on IPhone 3GS & Does it use Data?

The GPS itself doesn't use data, but it uses data to download and redraw the maps as you're moving.
Message 2 of 5
ACE - Expert

Unless you have maps pre-installed on the phone, like if you bought the Tom Tom app. Then no data would be used.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 5
Mentor

The "maps" feature in iOS will use data to download the map you see on your screen and to run searches (the map and POIs are not installed on your phone, it gets everything from their server)

You'll need to buy a GPS app like TomTom or Navigon which installs the maps and POIs directly on your phone (those apps are 1GB-1.5GB in size) to avoid using data (they have features built in to use data but you might be able to turn those features off)

Message 4 of 5
Master

TomTom has some options to minimize data.

As for using the GPS and not using data, some apps may actually use your wifi signal/cellular and the GPS. This may be done in instances where the GPS cannot get a good signal.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support