Helpful Links

USBconnect 881 Install not setting to Modem

Tutor

USBconnect 881 Install not setting to Modem

I follow installation instructions by plugging the 881 in USB port.. It installs the AT&T Comm Manager and prompts to reboot.. Running Vista Home Prem... by the way... It hangs.... I understand now that the 881 is a Storage Device until the the TRU-Install off Control Panel resets it to a Modem... This is not happening... I've un-installed all At&T software.. and Re-Installed it.. I have even downloaded the 6.7.24.0 version and have installed it.. When I plug in the 881, it pops up as a CD-ROM Storage device... I try running TRU-Install.. it tells me that it is in software mode and prompts if I would like to Reset it to a Modem? Ok do that... HANGS................................. From that point on Windows will not shut down, cannot stop that 881 CD-ROM.. Even if I un-plug it. In fact, you can forget Windows shutting down right! after plugging in the 881.. Tried waiting until after starting AT&T manger before plugging in 881.. Same thing.. HANGS.... Any help?

Message Edited by easybee on 04-24-2008 03:34:58 PM
Message 1 of 11
Master

Re: USBconnect 881 Install not setting to Modem

Call data support at 800.331.0500
Message 2 of 11
Tutor

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Message 3 of 11
Mentor

Do you have SP1 installed in vista? My experiance with vista pre sp1 had some issues with some usb devices.
 Tom
Message 4 of 11
Tutor

Installed SP1 for Vista.. Still will not work.. Before installing AT&T Comm Manager.. the 881 Device is a CD_ROM with drive letter. After installing AT&T Comm Manager.. The 881 Device never becomes a SIERRA Wireless Modem.. It still plugs as a CD_ROM device but without a drive letter, and will never un-plug and windows will not Shut Down without powering it off. This is true in Self Mode also..
Message 5 of 11
Teacher

Go to Start>All Programs>Sierra Wireless>Tru-Install
It will say "Your device is in software instalation mode. Would you like to switch it to modem mode."
Click OK.
If you have an ACER you need to download the Tru-Install patch first.
Message 6 of 11
Former Moderator

easybee wrote:
Installed SP1 for Vista.. Still will not work.. Before installing AT&T Comm Manager.. the 881 Device is a CD_ROM with drive letter. After installing AT&T Comm Manager.. The 881 Device never becomes a SIERRA Wireless Modem.. It still plugs as a CD_ROM device but without a drive letter, and will never un-plug and windows will not Shut Down without powering it off. This is true in Self Mode also..

What kind of computer do you have?
Message 7 of 11
Tutor

It's an ACER Aspire 5315
Message 8 of 11
Tutor

I'm running TRU-Install Version R1.0.0.8 Is there a patch to that? Anyway the R1.0.0.8 hangs..
Message 9 of 11
Former Moderator

easybee wrote:
I'm running TRU-Install Version R1.0.0.8 Is there a patch to that? Anyway the R1.0.0.8 hangs..

This might work.  It's made to fix an issue specifically with Acer computers where the 881u will not switch between modem and software installation mode properly.  Although this isn't what you're experiencing, it's worth a shot.

Message 10 of 11
Highlighted
Tutor

Okay it’s working now.. For others that may have this same problem; let me post this last entry of what I did. Hopefully it may save you a lot of research and time. Computer: ACER Aspire 5315-2142 OS: Vista Home Prim Device: USBconnect 881 with TRU-Install Technology (Sierra Wireless Modem/CD-ROM) Follow this for easy installation... 1. Re-Boot with a Fresh Startup 2. DO NOT PLUG the 881 Device up 3. Un-Install the AT&T Software. 4. Download the AT&T Comm Manager Version 6.7.24.0 (save it for later) AT&T Website http://www.att.com/laptopconnectsupport 5. Download and installed Vista SP1 (this may or may not matter) 6. Startup so you have a fresh boot without any AT&T software installed. 7. DO NOT PLUG the 881 Device up 8. Install the AT&T Comm Manager Version 6.7.24.0 from download of step 4. 9. This installation will require a re-boot, this should not be a problem since we have not plugged the 881 up 10. After re-boot, download the TRU-Install Patch R1.0.0.9 from http://www.sierrawireless.com/faq/ShowFAQ.aspx?ID=1199 (if you have trouble with this link, go to Sierra Wireless website, support, search Knowledge Base for “TRU-Install Patch” 11. Follow instructions on that TRU-Install Patch page... 12. If you still have a problem, disable the eNet Management software that comes with Acer computers. Re-Boot and try the “patch” again. Thanks everyone for your help! Happy Wireless Times Ahead….. Kenny
Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support