Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 20, 2007
8:08:16 AM
View profile
USB power cable for Blackjack II not providing battery recharge
Hi

I purchased a USB cable to recharge my Samsung BJII from my laptop while I am on the road. Sounded like a great concept, but the battery is not getting recharged.

Has anyone experienced this issue before and is there some settings that I need to make to allow it to work.

The data exchange works properly between laptop and BJII, so I dont think it is an issue with the cable.

Thanks
-Anthony
Hi

I purchased a USB cable to recharge my Samsung BJII from my laptop while I am on the road. Sounded like a great concept, but the battery is not getting recharged.

Has anyone experienced this issue before and is there some settings that I need to make to allow it to work.

The data exchange works properly between laptop and BJII, so I dont think it is an issue with the cable.

Thanks
-Anthony

USB power cable for Blackjack II not providing battery recharge

42 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(42)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2009 4:24:19 PM
(0)
Master

bjschommer wrote:
Just so you all know.  You can charge your phone with whatever cord if you simply set "USB connection setting" to "Modem" this is the only setting that will allow charging your phone with the usb cable off of any usb connection without fail.  I have a car charger that allows plugging in a usb, but it will not charge my phone on Activesync or mass storage, but does great on Modem.

Actually, it is the opposite if you connect to a PC. There will be no charging in 'Modem' mode at all on a PC.

I've a 3rd party car charger and desktop cradle that all charge just fine in ActiveSync mode. If your car charger won't charge, it is defective. With my cradle, I can even use regular mini-USB cable to connect to my PC and charges in ActiveSync mode just fine.

bjschommer wrote:
Just so you all know.  You can charge your phone with whatever cord if you simply set "USB connection setting" to "Modem" this is the only setting that will allow charging your phone with the usb cable off of any usb connection without fail.  I have a car charger that allows plugging in a usb, but it will not charge my phone on Activesync or mass storage, but does great on Modem.

Actually, it is the opposite if you connect to a PC. There will be no charging in 'Modem' mode at all on a PC.

I've a 3rd party car charger and desktop cradle that all charge just fine in ActiveSync mode. If your car charger won't charge, it is defective. With my cradle, I can even use regular mini-USB cable to connect to my PC and charges in ActiveSync mode just fine.

Re: USB power cable for Blackjack II not providing battery recharge

31 of 43 (3,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2009 7:44:45 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by RollTheBones on Apr 30, 2009 at 7:46:28 AM

Whats the scoop on this issue?  I finally got a BJ2 to replace my aging original blackjack and got the aftermarket USB cable (has the yellow arrow). MY old blackjack had no issues so I am sure its not the USB ports.

When I first plug it into USB, the light in the upper right turns red and I see the outlet symbol over the battery.  Then it starts flashing yellow, then it goes off and it doesnt charge.

Active sync works fine.  Tried  every single thing  in this thread and none of them work as advertised. 

Am having no luck at all finding the cable that is supposed to work, samsung APCBS10BBE, every place I check says out of stock. 

Message Edited by RollTheBones on 04-30-2009 07:46:28 AM

Whats the scoop on this issue?  I finally got a BJ2 to replace my aging original blackjack and got the aftermarket USB cable (has the yellow arrow). MY old blackjack had no issues so I am sure its not the USB ports.

When I first plug it into USB, the light in the upper right turns red and I see the outlet symbol over the battery.  Then it starts flashing yellow, then it goes off and it doesnt charge.

Active sync works fine.  Tried  every single thing  in this thread and none of them work as advertised. 

Am having no luck at all finding the cable that is supposed to work, samsung APCBS10BBE, every place I check says out of stock. 

Message Edited by RollTheBones on 04-30-2009 07:46:28 AM

[ Edited ]
32 of 43 (3,139 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2009 8:10:39 AM
(0)
Master

The proper cable seems only comes with BJ2. Doesn't your BJ2 come with the cable already? If not, this charging cradle works for me.

The proper cable seems only comes with BJ2. Doesn't your BJ2 come with the cable already? If not, this charging cradle works for me.

33 of 43 (3,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2009 6:06:44 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well, I got the USB docking cradle.  And it worked like a charm.  Once.

After I unplugged it and plugged it back in the next day it started doing exactly the same as the after market USB cable; starts charging, then the indicator light starts flashing yellow then it stops charging.

Smiley Mad 

Good grief why does this have to be so complicated?!

Well, I got the USB docking cradle.  And it worked like a charm.  Once.

After I unplugged it and plugged it back in the next day it started doing exactly the same as the after market USB cable; starts charging, then the indicator light starts flashing yellow then it stops charging.

Smiley Mad 

Good grief why does this have to be so complicated?!

34 of 43 (3,033 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2009 6:41:06 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on May 6, 2009 at 6:42:08 AM
Can you take the battery out and charge in the cradle itself? At least you have an option with this cradle. I'm sensing either the phone's charging circuitary is faulty or battery is faulty.
Message Edited by foxbat121 on 05-06-2009 09:42:08 AM
Can you take the battery out and charge in the cradle itself? At least you have an option with this cradle. I'm sensing either the phone's charging circuitary is faulty or battery is faulty.
Message Edited by foxbat121 on 05-06-2009 09:42:08 AM

[ Edited ]
35 of 43 (3,030 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2009 7:50:07 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yea I can charge the battery by itself, but that defeats the purpose;  with my old blackjack I could plug it in while working and have it charge.  Now I have to take the battery out and have a dead phone?

What a joke this "upgrade" is turning out to be. 

Yea I can charge the battery by itself, but that defeats the purpose;  with my old blackjack I could plug it in while working and have it charge.  Now I have to take the battery out and have a dead phone?

What a joke this "upgrade" is turning out to be. 

36 of 43 (3,019 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2009 5:03:11 PM
(0)
Master
You have a defective BJ2. That's all. Not all BJ2 behaves like that. If it is still within warranty, go exchange it.
You have a defective BJ2. That's all. Not all BJ2 behaves like that. If it is still within warranty, go exchange it.

37 of 43 (2,999 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2009 8:54:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

Doesnt it strike anyone as odd that the AC adapter and Car charger both work fine...it's only a USB cable that won't charge.

Doesnt it strike anyone as odd that the AC adapter and Car charger both work fine...it's only a USB cable that won't charge.

38 of 43 (2,897 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2009 1:32:41 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Psquared on Oct 26, 2009 at 1:35:23 PM

"Doesnt it strike anyone as odd that the AC adapter and Car charger both work fine...it's only a USB cable that won't charge."

Yes, it certainly strikes me as odd.

I've been struggling with this all day. I have the same symptoms as everyone else and none of the offered solutions works. Now I will say that my phone is almost dead, but I'm out of town and with the price of gas it is eternally stupid to have ride around or keep my car running for the 2-3 hours it takes to charge. Really, how hard could it be to upgrade the firmware to allow the phone to charge from a laptop's USB without a special cable or monkeying with settings on the phone and my laptop?

I thought that was why they called these things, "Smartphones." I think mine flunked first grade. Grrrrrr

Message Edited by Psquared on 10-26-2009 01:34:46 PM
Message Edited by Psquared on 10-26-2009 01:35:23 PM

"Doesnt it strike anyone as odd that the AC adapter and Car charger both work fine...it's only a USB cable that won't charge."

I've been struggling with this all day. I have the same symptoms as everyone else and none of the offered solutions works. Now I will say that my phone is almost dead, but I'm out of town and with the price of gas it is eternally stupid to have ride around or keep my car running for the 2-3 hours it takes to charge. Really, how hard could it be to upgrade the firmware to allow the phone to charge from a laptop's USB without a special cable or monkeying with settings on the phone and my laptop?

I thought that was why they called these things, "Smartphones." I think mine flunked first grade. Grrrrrr

[ Edited ]
39 of 43 (1,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2009 1:36:29 PM
(0)
Contributor
By the way, the "official" ATT position is that the BJ2 CANNOT be charged via the USB cable - not no way, not no how !!
By the way, the "official" ATT position is that the BJ2 CANNOT be charged via the USB cable - not no way, not no how !!

40 of 43 (1,761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 31, 2009 10:12:29 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by Zombiehunter on Oct 31, 2009 at 10:14:47 PM

Psquared wrote:

It usually depends on how low the battery of the BJ2 is when trying to recharge using the USB cable. I can charge my BJ2 when I show two or more bars. But if it is lower than that, the connection with the USB cable will not pull enough juice to recharge the phone. Then, the car or wall charger is required.

As far as AT&T's stance on "no way/no how", I have never heard that statement before your post. I recharge my BJ2 with my laptop while visiting here and elsewhere.

There have been prior issues with the wrong USB cable packed with the BJ2. That cable would only allow connection with the computer rather than allowing charging and connection.

Message Edited by ghostryder on 10-31-2009 10:14:47 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

Psquared wrote:

It usually depends on how low the battery of the BJ2 is when trying to recharge using the USB cable. I can charge my BJ2 when I show two or more bars. But if it is lower than that, the connection with the USB cable will not pull enough juice to recharge the phone. Then, the car or wall charger is required.

As far as AT&T's stance on "no way/no how", I have never heard that statement before your post. I recharge my BJ2 with my laptop while visiting here and elsewhere.

There have been prior issues with the wrong USB cable packed with the BJ2. That cable would only allow connection with the computer rather than allowing charging and connection.

Message Edited by ghostryder on 10-31-2009 10:14:47 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall

[ Edited ]
41 of 43 (1,175 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 8:07:12 AM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by eclypse3demons on Sep 29, 2010 at 8:08:33 AM

I know this is an older post but I have done some hands on with this issue, and I can confirm that it is a cable issue, although I am not entirely sure why after just updating the software why an existing usb cable that charged before fails to after wm6.1.

However I know for sure that Cable(s) APCBS10UBE & APCBS11UBE do not charge after update.

Cable APCBS10BBE I can confirm does work and charges no problem. 

I was not able to purchase that model off of Amazon.com every vendor that showed APCBS10UBE in the item description sent the UBE models.  I did find a vendor online that does supply the correct cable thats all4cellular.com if interested.  Its just a few bucks.

-regards

I know this is an older post but I have done some hands on with this issue, and I can confirm that it is a cable issue, although I am not entirely sure why after just updating the software why an existing usb cable that charged before fails to after wm6.1.

However I know for sure that Cable(s) APCBS10UBE & APCBS11UBE do not charge after update.

Cable APCBS10BBE I can confirm does work and charges no problem. 

I was not able to purchase that model off of Amazon.com every vendor that showed APCBS10UBE in the item description sent the UBE models.  I did find a vendor online that does supply the correct cable thats all4cellular.com if interested.  Its just a few bucks.

-regards

[ Edited ]
42 of 43 (501 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 8:25:12 AM
(0)
Former Moderator

Thank You for your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and due to its date, is now being closed. Should the OP need additional assistance please feel free to open up a new thread.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

Thank You for your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and due to its date, is now being closed. Should the OP need additional assistance please feel free to open up a new thread.

43 of 43 (496 Views)