USB power cable for Blackjack II not providing battery recharge

Contributor

USB power cable for Blackjack II not providing battery recharge

Hi

I purchased a USB cable to recharge my Samsung BJII from my laptop while I am on the road. Sounded like a great concept, but the battery is not getting recharged.

Has anyone experienced this issue before and is there some settings that I need to make to allow it to work.

The data exchange works properly between laptop and BJII, so I dont think it is an issue with the cable.

Thanks
-Anthony
Message 1 of 43 (21,406 Views)
Mentor

Re: USB power cable for Blackjack II not providing battery recharge

This happens to me sometimes when I switch from Mass Storage to Active Sync and back for whatever reason. Personally, I find that rebooting the phone fixes it. But that's with the OEM USB data cable. I'm not sure if the one you got is OEM or another company's. That may or may not affect things. I don't know if there are laptop power consumption settings that could stop it, either.
Message 2 of 43 (21,397 Views)
Guru

Two things to check:
1.  Make sure the cable your using is both a USB AND charging cable.  Some of the aftermarket sync cables only do one or the other.  The OEM cable that it came with does both.

2.  Make sure the USB port your connectiong to on your laptop provides power.  Some ports do, some don't.  Some USB ports on laptops that do provide power are indicated with a plus (+) sign next to the USB symbol.  But not having the + symbol  does not necessarily mean it does not have power.  Check the manual/specs of the laptop.
Regards
Message 3 of 43 (21,387 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Don't leave home without your OEM wall charger. Even if your cable works, the USB cable is only good for topping off. If your battery is critically low, you can't get any charge from USB port on your PC/laptop. You need the original wall charger that can supply enough juice to start the charging.
Message 4 of 43 (21,383 Views)
Mentor

I second what Foxbat said. If your battery dies, then the phone won't have enough juice to know it's connected to a computer that it can charge off of. Ran into that a few times and found out the hard way.
Message 5 of 43 (21,380 Views)
Teacher

The USB ports on the front of my PC do not charge, the ones in back do.  Might check if yours is the same.
Message 6 of 43 (21,356 Views)
Contributor

Help,
I have read the messages about not being able to charge using the usb.  I have the power cord and still can not get my phone to power up.  I've taken the battery and sim card in and out, but still now power.  Any ideas?
Message 7 of 43 (20,840 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

fletch25 wrote:
Help,
I have read the messages about not being able to charge using the usb.  I have the power cord and still can not get my phone to power up.  I've taken the battery and sim card in and out, but still now power.  Any ideas?

Do you have the orginial wall charger with you or not? I don't know how power cord alone can charge your phone. If you have the original wall charger and you still can't get any charge, you have two possibilities:

(1) The original BJ has an issue that the charge pins are not well connected to battery for certain handsets. It's a known defects to AT&T but not large enough for a recall as the other antenna issue.

(2) Your battery is dead. Li-ion batteries last longer if you keep it charged all the time. Topping off helps battery life. These cells have 500 ~ 1000 full recharge cycles. If you always run your battery down before recharge it, you use up one of the full recharge cycles.

Message Edited by foxbat121 on 03-05-2008 09:00:53 AM
Message 8 of 43 (20,815 Views)
Contributor

Thanks, I have the original wall charger with me.  It was fully charged when I went to sleep.  On the very next morning, It was dead - I do have one of those cases discussed in an earlier thread.  This has happened once before - I called my phone from a landline and it powered up (not a cycle on, it just lit up.) This time, no such luck.  I'll try a new battery to see if that's the problem.
Message 9 of 43 (20,787 Views)
Contributor

I have found that my BJ2 will sometimes charge and sometimes it will not through the USB port.  One way that has worked for me when the phone will not charge is to turn the phone off, then plug it into the USB port.  The phone will boot up and now charges.  Appears it is an issue with the phone and not the USB port.

The phone not charging is a big issue if you are tethering the phone to access the net while traveling.
Message 10 of 43 (18,735 Views)
Scholar

The USB cable only provides a trickle charge to the phone. I usually only use mine when at work and using the phone to listen to internet radio. Using that much power (streaming data and bluetooth to the headphones) and hooked up to USB, the charging does just a little better than maintaining the current charge.
Message 11 of 43 (9,615 Views)
Scholar

I had a similar problem whereby my phone would randomly charge or not charge via the USB cable.  Another friendly poster pointed me to a thread which suggested that the USB port was moved to a power save mode by the PC.  This can be easily changed to enable it to provide power indefinitely and without interruption.  Note that the following instructions are XP-based.  I don't have a Vista machine available from which I can provide compatible instructions.

1. Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
  2. Select the Hardware tab.
  3. Click the [Device Manager] button.
  4. Locate the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" collection.  Click the + to expand it (if it is not already).
  5. From here, you have 2 choices:
    1. Double-click each USB Root Hub item and select the "Power Management" tab.  De-select the checkbox which reads "Allow this computer to turn off the device to save power."
    2. Double-click each USB Root Hub item and select the "Power" tab.  Locate the one USB Root Hub which shows an attached device named "Windows Mobile-based Device".  Then clik the "Power Management" tab and de-select the aforementioned checkbox.
  6. Click [Ok] to save your changes and close the Device Manager. 
  7. Connect your phone and it should charge.  No reboot required.

Message 12 of 43 (9,577 Views)
Contributor

I find that if I kill active sync via the task manager (the process is called wscecom, I believe) my phone charges.
Message 13 of 43 (8,885 Views)
Scholar

Can you please confirm and let us know the results?
Message 14 of 43 (8,878 Views)
~H
Mentor

[ Edited ]

spivieguy1 wrote:
I find that if I kill active sync via the task manager (the process is called wscecom, I believe) my phone charges.

Doesn't work for me. Won't even stay charging when in Mass Storage mode. Nothing seems to work. My usb cable is OEM that came w/ the phone.The tag reads "Data Link Cable" Model: APCBS10UBE.
I have the WinMo 6.1 upgrade, by the way.

Message Edited by ~H on 10-08-2008 12:15:52 PM
Message 15 of 43 (8,864 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.