USB Connect 881

Mentor

Re: USB Connect 881 Super Slow!

rsnadel wrote:
I'm using it on a Sony VAIO laptop (PC). Speeds seem to be anywhere from 1.5 to 2.0MHz when it's in 3G mode (and that's with one bar on the signal meter, since I'm actually a couple of blocks outside the listed 3G coverage area). Sorry I can't help with your Mac issue.

That just confirms the 881 appears to get great speeds on a PC and the 3G network.

Unfortuntaely it doesn't seem to get those speeds on a mac.

Hopefully it will someday.
Message 16 of 36 (8,983 Views)
Teacher

Re: USB Connect 881

An UPDATE, last night the USB 881 didn't work that all, I did restart my laptop several times, I re-installed the software of course I deleted the old one, I did plug and unplug the device several times, I did call AT&T no idea what's going on, the watcher window showed as device wasn't connected (a red cross over the device icon on the right side). Also I try to use in different places to see if was a signal problem, nothing either, and the same time the green light is on everytime I plug it in my laptop...??
I did try other devices onto the port and everything works fine, except the USB 881.
This morning I contacted SIERRA WIRELESS over the phone and no answer either....

Message 17 of 36 (8,986 Views)
Teacher

I received an 881U last Wed.  It worked perfectly on 3 computers outside of the 3G network till Saturday.  Then it quit connecting, even though it showed 5 bars of signal.  It would connect if I travelled into an area with 3G though.  After about 6 hours of increasingly frustrating calls to ATT, who bounced me from one office to the other (one guy even suggested that I drive around to sample other towers!), I finally demanded a new card be sent.  Beware of this new card.  The problem is that ATT tech support is not capable of supporting it.  While they were polite, they were more or less incompetent to solve the problem in a customer friendly manner.  I'll try the new one and send it back before the 30 day trial is up if it doesn't work as advertised.
Message 18 of 36 (8,967 Views)
Mentor

raydan67 wrote:
I received an 881U last Wed.  It worked perfectly on 3 computers outside of the 3G network till Saturday.  Then it quit connecting, even though it showed 5 bars of signal.  It would connect if I travelled into an area with 3G though.  After about 6 hours of increasingly frustrating calls to ATT, who bounced me from one office to the other (one guy even suggested that I drive around to sample other towers!), I finally demanded a new card be sent.  Beware of this new card.  The problem is that ATT tech support is not capable of supporting it.  While they were polite, they were more or less incompetent to solve the problem in a customer friendly manner.  I'll try the new one and send it back before the 30 day trial is up if it doesn't work as advertised.

PC or Mac?

What OS?
Message 19 of 36 (8,964 Views)
Teacher

a MAC
Message 20 of 36 (8,960 Views)
Teacher

I forgot OS X10.4.11
Message 21 of 36 (7,234 Views)
Teacher

Sorry if I wasn't clearer.  Win XP,  2 Sony notebooks, a Gateway notebook and a shuttle PC.  All worked initially.  Now, nothing unless a 3G network is detected.  I replaced the Simm,  had techs flash the card wirelessly to correct errors twice (not sure what they were seeing or doing) and manually forced it to go to 2G.  Didn't work.

Placed the Simm in my non-3G Razor phone and it connected to the data network, so it looks like the Simm was ok, just not the aircard or possibly the software.  However, I re-installed the software, etc., etc., etc.
Message 22 of 36 (7,233 Views)
Teacher

well last night we have a snow storm around Chicago...is that could be the problem that this device doesn't work? I mean on the sierra window (mac version) showed a red cross over the device icon.
Message 23 of 36 (7,230 Views)
Teacher

after a lot of talking some mac people are saying: "
The device may need a USB 2.0 port in order to get the stated speeds., if you have USB 1.1 ports, that may be the low speed.
Message 24 of 36 (7,143 Views)
Mentor

ccampos wrote:
after a lot of talking some mac people are saying: "
The device may need a USB 2.0 port in order to get the stated speeds., if you have USB 1.1 ports, that may be the low speed.

The usb ports on my apple powerbook g4 12" 1.5 ghz are usb 2.0, so that should not be an issue.
Message 25 of 36 (7,137 Views)
Teacher

After doing lot of research and frustration in the other hand for something that doesn't work, I took this USB 881 back to AT&T and done with returned and canceled.
Right after, I went to Best Buy and with more info the sales guy told me that Sprint have the BEST network coverage and no complains so far (he work for the store without commission).
They don't sell AT&T modems or PC cards in the store for the same reason, bad coverage and poor customer service...BINGO!
So, I decided to give a try to the AirCard® 595U by Sierra Wireless, and WHAT a difference works GREAT!!!, I can see the same videos now with image and audio almost 80% like DSL connection. AT&T told me that probably I will need more memory in my MAC just to watch them...LOL.
Sprint customer service have a whole different way to help and they have a MAC SUPPORT, my speeds by AT&T were Download: 310 kb/s  and Upload:186 kb/s, now with Sprint are: Download: 845 kb/s  and Upload: 270 kb/s...
Now you can make your own conclusionsand one more thing, thanks to all of you for info and chat over this forum.

Message 26 of 36 (7,093 Views)
Mentor

I have been told the Sprint service is a lot more mac-friendly.....in the United States.  However, if you travel far out of the country (Europe, Asia) it will not work at all, whereas the AT&T service will. 

I therefore made the decision to go with the AT&T service and wait for Sierra to upgrade their mac software, which I assume they will.

As always, your needs and mileage may vary.

Message 27 of 36 (7,076 Views)
Teacher

We are talking about quality and networking, I think this have nothing to do with the upgrade of software for MACs users, this is the same company Sierra Wireless. How can you explain about same company almost same product work 80% much better in one carrier than the other?
Message 28 of 36 (7,072 Views)
Master

This may come as a surprise to some, but I am glad that you have a working internet connection now.  Even if it is a Sprint connection.  LOL.  Eitherway, good for you in finding a service that fits your needs and works as you desire in your home area.

PS.  Thanks for sharing your experience with the rest of us.
Message 29 of 36 (6,942 Views)

I believe your problem with the 3G network in Oklahoma City, is the network.  I have a 3 months old AT&T 8525 PDA phone in OKC that worked with a fantastic signal until December 07.  It started picking up the 3G network and the service quality has become horrible. It gets only 1 bar of service where it used to get a full signal (and my other EDGE network phone still gets a full signal).  When the signal drops, it switches to EDGE and grabs a full signal, then switches right back to 3G and drops to 1 bar.  I've spent probably 4 hours on the phone with different at&t reps over the past few weeks and all they could guess was that my 3 month old phone was the problem.  I got the new warranty replacement in today and it has the same issue. I think the 3G network in OKC is very weak and not "ready" to be launched.  I just wish I could find a way to force my 8525 to use the EDGE network instead.
Message 30 of 36 (6,430 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.