USB Connect 881

Teacher

USB Connect 881

I just bought a USB connect 881 modem, I have an iBook Power PC G3, with 19 GB, running 10.4.11 and I have the Sierra Watcher 2.0.4 software.
I have been on the phone with AT&T for more than 2 hrs almost every other day, nobody can give me a real answer and they told me to contact Sierra or Apple besides all this frustration and no help from AT&T, saying that they don't have a Mac or Sierra support.
This is regarding about the speed of browsing and watch videos online. While the promise is: " This network has upload speeds between 500 Kbps and 800 Kbps and enhanced download speeds ranging between 600 Kbps and 1,400 Kbps" my doesn't work that way, a data customer service from AT&T asked to use http://www.speedtest.net/ to see my speed, finally that showed: Download:310 kb/s  and Upload:186 kb/s, which I think isn't even half of what was promised above, and all videos (youtube, itunes, etc) are choppy. Can someone can tell me what to do?
Thanks

Message 1 of 36
Scholar

Re: USB Connect 881

I can't tell you what to do about your speed issue...but I am curious where you are, and whether it's a location AT&T claims to be 3G-ready.
Message 2 of 36
Teacher

Am in Chicago area and I have 5 bars and G3 showing off in my Watcher window
Message 3 of 36
Scholar

One would think that should be sufficient to establish a solid signal...
Message 4 of 36
Mentor

Re: USB Connect 881 Super Slow!

I have a similar situation.  Using a USB Connect 881 on a G4 Mac notebook in and near downtown Oklahoma City.  3G network was activated here a couple of days ago.  The Sierra watcher software is showing 3G reception but only 2 out of 4 bars.....and I get download speeds of around 350 and upload speeds of around 275.  It should be a lot better than this.

Message Edited by rbaron on 11-30-2007 01:55:17 PM
Message 5 of 36
Teacher

The ONLY way to find out is email Sierra support@sierrawireless.com
I did but and so far the customer support email me back and asked me to try this devide on PC laptop and compare the speed, if work better on PC, means they need to fit the Mac version software.
Message 6 of 36
Mentor

Thanks.  I'll try it on a PC on Monday to see how it compares.  Then I'll get in touch with Sierra support.

I suspect AT&T support would have not a clue.
Message 7 of 36
Mentor

Here's the Tuesday morning update:

Yesterday morning I plugged the 881 USBConnect into my desktop (Win XP Pro, SP2) at my office and during the installation process the machine crashed. 3 times.  Blue Screen Of Death.  I called AT&T tech support and apparently there is a known problem (memory dump) but the tech talked me through a workaround and got the 881 up and running, with great speeds: DL from 871 to 1050 and UL from 5351 to 5627 (3G, 4 out of 5 bars, signal -88 dBm).  I then plugged the 881 into my Mac PowerBook G4 laptop (Mac OS X 10.4.11) (1.5ghz, 1.25gb ram) which is barely two feet away from the PC and got 3G, 2 bars out of 4 (on the latest version of Sierra Watcher) with average speeds of DL 325 and UL 275.

So the AT&T tech gave me the phone number of Sierra Wireless tech support and they have been trying various workarounds but so far have not figured out why the speed disparity nor how to correct it.

More later if a solution is found.
Message 8 of 36
Teacher

This past weekend I used this device (881) in other places than my home, just to see if area wasn't good and I went to Apple store to speak with one of the Genius bar's guy, so far my computer is fine and adding more memory can be helpul but no a guaranty that this will work, as fast as DSL connection, also he mentioned that maybe the software (sierra watcher) isn't all up running, I didn't try the USB on a PC because was a little worry to make some problems (with some else computer)  Can you share the Sierra phone # ?
Thanks

Message 9 of 36
Scholar

Their website is http://www.sierrawireless.com/. I sent a note on Friday and got a reply (human, not automated) within less than an hour.
Message 10 of 36
Teacher

Lucky you!...I did same last week took 2 days to get an email back..Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 36
Mentor

The sierra wireless support phone number I got from at&t support is 877-231-1144.  However, you may need a trouble ticket number from at&t to talk to a sierra wireless tech.....or you may not....

I will say that we have been going back and forth by email rather than telephone today, and the latest report I have is that they have had a number of slow speed complaints from mac users and are escalating the issue to their engineering department so it may be a while before a fix is determined.

I gather this is an issue that affects some but not all mac users and they don't yet know why.

I would suggest you send them an email to add yourself to the list of mac users who are having speed problems with the 881.  I think the number of complaints they receive is important in prodding them to a resolution.

Message 12 of 36
Mentor

rsnadel wrote:
Their website is http://www.sierrawireless.com/. I sent a note on Friday and got a reply (human, not automated) within less than an hour.

Are you using an 881 on a mac? On a 3G network?  What speeds are you getting?
Message 13 of 36
Scholar

I'm using it on a Sony VAIO laptop (PC). Speeds seem to be anywhere from 1.5 to 2.0MHz when it's in 3G mode (and that's with one bar on the signal meter, since I'm actually a couple of blocks outside the listed 3G coverage area). Sorry I can't help with your Mac issue.
Message 14 of 36
Teacher

SIERRA PHONE NUMBER 1.877.231.1144
Message 15 of 36
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support