Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 29, 2007
1:25:14 PM
View profile
USB Connect 881
I just bought a USB connect 881 modem, I have an iBook Power PC G3, with 19 GB, running 10.4.11 and I have the Sierra Watcher 2.0.4 software.
I have been on the phone with AT&T for more than 2 hrs almost every other day, nobody can give me a real answer and they told me to contact Sierra or Apple besides all this frustration and no help from AT&T, saying that they don't have a Mac or Sierra support.
This is regarding about the speed of browsing and watch videos online. While the promise is: " This network has upload speeds between 500 Kbps and 800 Kbps and enhanced download speeds ranging between 600 Kbps and 1,400 Kbps" my doesn't work that way, a data customer service from AT&T asked to use http://www.speedtest.net/ to see my speed, finally that showed: Download:310 kb/s  and Upload:186 kb/s, which I think isn't even half of what was promised above, and all videos (youtube, itunes, etc) are choppy. Can someone can tell me what to do?
Thanks

I just bought a USB connect 881 modem, I have an iBook Power PC G3, with 19 GB, running 10.4.11 and I have the Sierra Watcher 2.0.4 software.
I have been on the phone with AT&T for more than 2 hrs almost every other day, nobody can give me a real answer and they told me to contact Sierra or Apple besides all this frustration and no help from AT&T, saying that they don't have a Mac or Sierra support.
This is regarding about the speed of browsing and watch videos online. While the promise is: " This network has upload speeds between 500 Kbps and 800 Kbps and enhanced download speeds ranging between 600 Kbps and 1,400 Kbps" my doesn't work that way, a data customer service from AT&T asked to use http://www.speedtest.net/ to see my speed, finally that showed: Download:310 kb/s  and Upload:186 kb/s, which I think isn't even half of what was promised above, and all videos (youtube, itunes, etc) are choppy. Can someone can tell me what to do?
Thanks

USB Connect 881

35 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(35)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2007 1:34:13 PM
(0)
Scholar
I can't tell you what to do about your speed issue...but I am curious where you are, and whether it's a location AT&T claims to be 3G-ready.
I can't tell you what to do about your speed issue...but I am curious where you are, and whether it's a location AT&T claims to be 3G-ready.

Re: USB Connect 881

2 of 36 (21,837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2007 1:40:07 PM
(0)
Teacher
Am in Chicago area and I have 5 bars and G3 showing off in my Watcher window
Am in Chicago area and I have 5 bars and G3 showing off in my Watcher window

3 of 36 (21,834 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 29, 2007 3:13:50 PM
(0)
Scholar
One would think that should be sufficient to establish a solid signal...
One would think that should be sufficient to establish a solid signal...

4 of 36 (21,811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2007 11:42:11 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by rbaron on Nov 30, 2007 at 11:55:17 AM
I have a similar situation.  Using a USB Connect 881 on a G4 Mac notebook in and near downtown Oklahoma City.  3G network was activated here a couple of days ago.  The Sierra watcher software is showing 3G reception but only 2 out of 4 bars.....and I get download speeds of around 350 and upload speeds of around 275.  It should be a lot better than this.

Message Edited by rbaron on 11-30-2007 01:55:17 PM
I have a similar situation.  Using a USB Connect 881 on a G4 Mac notebook in and near downtown Oklahoma City.  3G network was activated here a couple of days ago.  The Sierra watcher software is showing 3G reception but only 2 out of 4 bars.....and I get download speeds of around 350 and upload speeds of around 275.  It should be a lot better than this.

Message Edited by rbaron on 11-30-2007 01:55:17 PM

Re: USB Connect 881 Super Slow!

[ Edited ]
5 of 36 (21,759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2007 2:04:36 PM
(0)
Teacher
The ONLY way to find out is email Sierra support@sierrawireless.com
I did but and so far the customer support email me back and asked me to try this devide on PC laptop and compare the speed, if work better on PC, means they need to fit the Mac version software.
The ONLY way to find out is email Sierra support@sierrawireless.com
I did but and so far the customer support email me back and asked me to try this devide on PC laptop and compare the speed, if work better on PC, means they need to fit the Mac version software.

6 of 36 (21,743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2007 4:22:34 PM
(0)
Mentor
Thanks.  I'll try it on a PC on Monday to see how it compares.  Then I'll get in touch with Sierra support.

I suspect AT&T support would have not a clue.
Thanks.  I'll try it on a PC on Monday to see how it compares.  Then I'll get in touch with Sierra support.

I suspect AT&T support would have not a clue.

7 of 36 (21,724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2007 9:00:50 AM
(0)
Mentor
Here's the Tuesday morning update:

Yesterday morning I plugged the 881 USBConnect into my desktop (Win XP Pro, SP2) at my office and during the installation process the machine crashed. 3 times.  Blue Screen Of Death.  I called AT&T tech support and apparently there is a known problem (memory dump) but the tech talked me through a workaround and got the 881 up and running, with great speeds: DL from 871 to 1050 and UL from 5351 to 5627 (3G, 4 out of 5 bars, signal -88 dBm).  I then plugged the 881 into my Mac PowerBook G4 laptop (Mac OS X 10.4.11) (1.5ghz, 1.25gb ram) which is barely two feet away from the PC and got 3G, 2 bars out of 4 (on the latest version of Sierra Watcher) with average speeds of DL 325 and UL 275.

So the AT&T tech gave me the phone number of Sierra Wireless tech support and they have been trying various workarounds but so far have not figured out why the speed disparity nor how to correct it.

More later if a solution is found.
Here's the Tuesday morning update:

Yesterday morning I plugged the 881 USBConnect into my desktop (Win XP Pro, SP2) at my office and during the installation process the machine crashed. 3 times.  Blue Screen Of Death.  I called AT&T tech support and apparently there is a known problem (memory dump) but the tech talked me through a workaround and got the 881 up and running, with great speeds: DL from 871 to 1050 and UL from 5351 to 5627 (3G, 4 out of 5 bars, signal -88 dBm).  I then plugged the 881 into my Mac PowerBook G4 laptop (Mac OS X 10.4.11) (1.5ghz, 1.25gb ram) which is barely two feet away from the PC and got 3G, 2 bars out of 4 (on the latest version of Sierra Watcher) with average speeds of DL 325 and UL 275.

So the AT&T tech gave me the phone number of Sierra Wireless tech support and they have been trying various workarounds but so far have not figured out why the speed disparity nor how to correct it.

More later if a solution is found.

8 of 36 (21,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2007 10:17:25 AM
(0)
Teacher
This past weekend I used this device (881) in other places than my home, just to see if area wasn't good and I went to Apple store to speak with one of the Genius bar's guy, so far my computer is fine and adding more memory can be helpul but no a guaranty that this will work, as fast as DSL connection, also he mentioned that maybe the software (sierra watcher) isn't all up running, I didn't try the USB on a PC because was a little worry to make some problems (with some else computer)  Can you share the Sierra phone # ?
Thanks

This past weekend I used this device (881) in other places than my home, just to see if area wasn't good and I went to Apple store to speak with one of the Genius bar's guy, so far my computer is fine and adding more memory can be helpul but no a guaranty that this will work, as fast as DSL connection, also he mentioned that maybe the software (sierra watcher) isn't all up running, I didn't try the USB on a PC because was a little worry to make some problems (with some else computer)  Can you share the Sierra phone # ?
Thanks

9 of 36 (21,570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2007 10:52:14 AM
(0)
Scholar
Their website is http://www.sierrawireless.com/. I sent a note on Friday and got a reply (human, not automated) within less than an hour.
Their website is http://www.sierrawireless.com/. I sent a note on Friday and got a reply (human, not automated) within less than an hour.

10 of 36 (21,562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2007 12:49:32 PM
(0)
Teacher
Lucky you!...I did same last week took 2 days to get an email back..Smiley Happy
Lucky you!...I did same last week took 2 days to get an email back..Smiley Happy

11 of 36 (8,984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2007 12:58:32 PM
(0)
Mentor
The sierra wireless support phone number I got from at&t support is 877-231-1144.  However, you may need a trouble ticket number from at&t to talk to a sierra wireless tech.....or you may not....

I will say that we have been going back and forth by email rather than telephone today, and the latest report I have is that they have had a number of slow speed complaints from mac users and are escalating the issue to their engineering department so it may be a while before a fix is determined.

I gather this is an issue that affects some but not all mac users and they don't yet know why.

I would suggest you send them an email to add yourself to the list of mac users who are having speed problems with the 881.  I think the number of complaints they receive is important in prodding them to a resolution.

The sierra wireless support phone number I got from at&t support is 877-231-1144.  However, you may need a trouble ticket number from at&t to talk to a sierra wireless tech.....or you may not....

I will say that we have been going back and forth by email rather than telephone today, and the latest report I have is that they have had a number of slow speed complaints from mac users and are escalating the issue to their engineering department so it may be a while before a fix is determined.

I gather this is an issue that affects some but not all mac users and they don't yet know why.

I would suggest you send them an email to add yourself to the list of mac users who are having speed problems with the 881.  I think the number of complaints they receive is important in prodding them to a resolution.

12 of 36 (8,983 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2007 1:03:25 PM
(0)
Mentor

rsnadel wrote:

Are you using an 881 on a mac? On a 3G network?  What speeds are you getting?

rsnadel wrote:

Are you using an 881 on a mac? On a 3G network?  What speeds are you getting?

13 of 36 (8,979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2007 2:08:58 PM
(0)
Scholar
I'm using it on a Sony VAIO laptop (PC). Speeds seem to be anywhere from 1.5 to 2.0MHz when it's in 3G mode (and that's with one bar on the signal meter, since I'm actually a couple of blocks outside the listed 3G coverage area). Sorry I can't help with your Mac issue.
I'm using it on a Sony VAIO laptop (PC). Speeds seem to be anywhere from 1.5 to 2.0MHz when it's in 3G mode (and that's with one bar on the signal meter, since I'm actually a couple of blocks outside the listed 3G coverage area). Sorry I can't help with your Mac issue.

14 of 36 (8,975 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2007 6:40:46 AM
(0)
Teacher
 SIERRA PHONE NUMBER 1.877.231.1144
 SIERRA PHONE NUMBER 1.877.231.1144

15 of 36 (8,947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2007 7:00:53 AM
(0)
Mentor

rsnadel wrote:

That just confirms the 881 appears to get great speeds on a PC and the 3G network.

Unfortuntaely it doesn't seem to get those speeds on a mac.

Hopefully it will someday.

rsnadel wrote:

That just confirms the 881 appears to get great speeds on a PC and the 3G network.

Unfortuntaely it doesn't seem to get those speeds on a mac.

Hopefully it will someday.

16 of 36 (8,943 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2007 7:19:22 AM
(0)
Teacher
An UPDATE, last night the USB 881 didn't work that all, I did restart my laptop several times, I re-installed the software of course I deleted the old one, I did plug and unplug the device several times, I did call AT&T no idea what's going on, the watcher window showed as device wasn't connected (a red cross over the device icon on the right side). Also I try to use in different places to see if was a signal problem, nothing either, and the same time the green light is on everytime I plug it in my laptop...??
I did try other devices onto the port and everything works fine, except the USB 881.
This morning I contacted SIERRA WIRELESS over the phone and no answer either....

An UPDATE, last night the USB 881 didn't work that all, I did restart my laptop several times, I re-installed the software of course I deleted the old one, I did plug and unplug the device several times, I did call AT&T no idea what's going on, the watcher window showed as device wasn't connected (a red cross over the device icon on the right side). Also I try to use in different places to see if was a signal problem, nothing either, and the same time the green light is on everytime I plug it in my laptop...??
I did try other devices onto the port and everything works fine, except the USB 881.
This morning I contacted SIERRA WIRELESS over the phone and no answer either....

17 of 36 (8,946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2007 9:03:23 AM
(0)
Teacher
I received an 881U last Wed.  It worked perfectly on 3 computers outside of the 3G network till Saturday.  Then it quit connecting, even though it showed 5 bars of signal.  It would connect if I travelled into an area with 3G though.  After about 6 hours of increasingly frustrating calls to ATT, who bounced me from one office to the other (one guy even suggested that I drive around to sample other towers!), I finally demanded a new card be sent.  Beware of this new card.  The problem is that ATT tech support is not capable of supporting it.  While they were polite, they were more or less incompetent to solve the problem in a customer friendly manner.  I'll try the new one and send it back before the 30 day trial is up if it doesn't work as advertised.
I received an 881U last Wed.  It worked perfectly on 3 computers outside of the 3G network till Saturday.  Then it quit connecting, even though it showed 5 bars of signal.  It would connect if I travelled into an area with 3G though.  After about 6 hours of increasingly frustrating calls to ATT, who bounced me from one office to the other (one guy even suggested that I drive around to sample other towers!), I finally demanded a new card be sent.  Beware of this new card.  The problem is that ATT tech support is not capable of supporting it.  While they were polite, they were more or less incompetent to solve the problem in a customer friendly manner.  I'll try the new one and send it back before the 30 day trial is up if it doesn't work as advertised.

18 of 36 (8,927 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2007 9:06:25 AM
(0)
Mentor

raydan67 wrote:

PC or Mac?

What OS?

raydan67 wrote:

PC or Mac?

What OS?

19 of 36 (8,924 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2007 9:10:52 AM
(0)
Teacher
a MAC
a MAC

20 of 36 (8,920 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2007 9:11:34 AM
(0)
Teacher
I forgot OS X10.4.11
I forgot OS X10.4.11

21 of 36 (7,194 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2007 9:14:15 AM
(0)
Teacher
Sorry if I wasn't clearer.  Win XP,  2 Sony notebooks, a Gateway notebook and a shuttle PC.  All worked initially.  Now, nothing unless a 3G network is detected.  I replaced the Simm,  had techs flash the card wirelessly to correct errors twice (not sure what they were seeing or doing) and manually forced it to go to 2G.  Didn't work.

Placed the Simm in my non-3G Razor phone and it connected to the data network, so it looks like the Simm was ok, just not the aircard or possibly the software.  However, I re-installed the software, etc., etc., etc.
Sorry if I wasn't clearer.  Win XP,  2 Sony notebooks, a Gateway notebook and a shuttle PC.  All worked initially.  Now, nothing unless a 3G network is detected.  I replaced the Simm,  had techs flash the card wirelessly to correct errors twice (not sure what they were seeing or doing) and manually forced it to go to 2G.  Didn't work.

Placed the Simm in my non-3G Razor phone and it connected to the data network, so it looks like the Simm was ok, just not the aircard or possibly the software.  However, I re-installed the software, etc., etc., etc.

22 of 36 (7,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2007 9:21:01 AM
(0)
Teacher
well last night we have a snow storm around Chicago...is that could be the problem that this device doesn't work? I mean on the sierra window (mac version) showed a red cross over the device icon.
well last night we have a snow storm around Chicago...is that could be the problem that this device doesn't work? I mean on the sierra window (mac version) showed a red cross over the device icon.

23 of 36 (7,190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2007 1:35:09 PM
(0)
Teacher
after a lot of talking some mac people are saying: "
The device may need a USB 2.0 port in order to get the stated speeds., if you have USB 1.1 ports, that may be the low speed.
The device may need a USB 2.0 port in order to get the stated speeds., if you have USB 1.1 ports, that may be the low speed.

24 of 36 (7,103 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2007 1:50:13 PM
(0)
Mentor

ccampos wrote:

The usb ports on my apple powerbook g4 12" 1.5 ghz are usb 2.0, so that should not be an issue.

ccampos wrote:

The usb ports on my apple powerbook g4 12" 1.5 ghz are usb 2.0, so that should not be an issue.

25 of 36 (7,097 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2007 8:07:25 AM
(0)
Teacher
After doing lot of research and frustration in the other hand for something that doesn't work, I took this USB 881 back to AT&T and done with returned and canceled.
Right after, I went to Best Buy and with more info the sales guy told me that Sprint have the BEST network coverage and no complains so far (he work for the store without commission).
They don't sell AT&T modems or PC cards in the store for the same reason, bad coverage and poor customer service...BINGO!
So, I decided to give a try to the AirCard® 595U by Sierra Wireless, and WHAT a difference works GREAT!!!, I can see the same videos now with image and audio almost 80% like DSL connection. AT&T told me that probably I will need more memory in my MAC just to watch them...LOL.
Sprint customer service have a whole different way to help and they have a MAC SUPPORT, my speeds by AT&T were Download: 310 kb/s  and Upload:186 kb/s, now with Sprint are: Download: 845 kb/s  and Upload: 270 kb/s...
Now you can make your own conclusionsand one more thing, thanks to all of you for info and chat over this forum.

After doing lot of research and frustration in the other hand for something that doesn't work, I took this USB 881 back to AT&T and done with returned and canceled.
Right after, I went to Best Buy and with more info the sales guy told me that Sprint have the BEST network coverage and no complains so far (he work for the store without commission).
They don't sell AT&T modems or PC cards in the store for the same reason, bad coverage and poor customer service...BINGO!
So, I decided to give a try to the AirCard® 595U by Sierra Wireless, and WHAT a difference works GREAT!!!, I can see the same videos now with image and audio almost 80% like DSL connection. AT&T told me that probably I will need more memory in my MAC just to watch them...LOL.
Sprint customer service have a whole different way to help and they have a MAC SUPPORT, my speeds by AT&T were Download: 310 kb/s  and Upload:186 kb/s, now with Sprint are: Download: 845 kb/s  and Upload: 270 kb/s...
Now you can make your own conclusionsand one more thing, thanks to all of you for info and chat over this forum.

26 of 36 (7,053 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2007 8:47:27 AM
(0)
Mentor
I have been told the Sprint service is a lot more mac-friendly.....in the United States.  However, if you travel far out of the country (Europe, Asia) it will not work at all, whereas the AT&T service will. 

I therefore made the decision to go with the AT&T service and wait for Sierra to upgrade their mac software, which I assume they will.

As always, your needs and mileage may vary.

I have been told the Sprint service is a lot more mac-friendly.....in the United States.  However, if you travel far out of the country (Europe, Asia) it will not work at all, whereas the AT&T service will. 

I therefore made the decision to go with the AT&T service and wait for Sierra to upgrade their mac software, which I assume they will.

As always, your needs and mileage may vary.

27 of 36 (7,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 6, 2007 9:11:37 AM
(0)
Teacher
We are talking about quality and networking, I think this have nothing to do with the upgrade of software for MACs users, this is the same company Sierra Wireless. How can you explain about same company almost same product work 80% much better in one carrier than the other?
We are talking about quality and networking, I think this have nothing to do with the upgrade of software for MACs users, this is the same company Sierra Wireless. How can you explain about same company almost same product work 80% much better in one carrier than the other?

28 of 36 (7,032 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2007 6:47:54 AM
(0)
Master
This may come as a surprise to some, but I am glad that you have a working internet connection now.  Even if it is a Sprint connection.  LOL.  Eitherway, good for you in finding a service that fits your needs and works as you desire in your home area.

PS.  Thanks for sharing your experience with the rest of us.
This may come as a surprise to some, but I am glad that you have a working internet connection now.  Even if it is a Sprint connection.  LOL.  Eitherway, good for you in finding a service that fits your needs and works as you desire in your home area.

PS.  Thanks for sharing your experience with the rest of us.

29 of 36 (6,902 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2008 11:02:43 AM
(0)
Tutor
I believe your problem with the 3G network in Oklahoma City, is the network.  I have a 3 months old AT&T 8525 PDA phone in OKC that worked with a fantastic signal until December 07.  It started picking up the 3G network and the service quality has become horrible. It gets only 1 bar of service where it used to get a full signal (and my other EDGE network phone still gets a full signal).  When the signal drops, it switches to EDGE and grabs a full signal, then switches right back to 3G and drops to 1 bar.  I've spent probably 4 hours on the phone with different at&t reps over the past few weeks and all they could guess was that my 3 month old phone was the problem.  I got the new warranty replacement in today and it has the same issue. I think the 3G network in OKC is very weak and not "ready" to be launched.  I just wish I could find a way to force my 8525 to use the EDGE network instead.
I believe your problem with the 3G network in Oklahoma City, is the network.  I have a 3 months old AT&T 8525 PDA phone in OKC that worked with a fantastic signal until December 07.  It started picking up the 3G network and the service quality has become horrible. It gets only 1 bar of service where it used to get a full signal (and my other EDGE network phone still gets a full signal).  When the signal drops, it switches to EDGE and grabs a full signal, then switches right back to 3G and drops to 1 bar.  I've spent probably 4 hours on the phone with different at&t reps over the past few weeks and all they could guess was that my 3 month old phone was the problem.  I got the new warranty replacement in today and it has the same issue. I think the 3G network in OKC is very weak and not "ready" to be launched.  I just wish I could find a way to force my 8525 to use the EDGE network instead.

30 of 36 (6,390 Views)