USB Card

Contributor

USB Card

Will a USB card work in a laptop and a PC?
Message 1 of 11 (4,935 Views)
Scholar

Re: USB Card

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that it can be used on a desktop or laptop...but I can't put my finger on it right now. You might call 1-800-0500 to check. Seems to me that the device would not be able to distinguish a desktop USB from a laptop USB, but I couldn't say for sure.
Message 2 of 11 (4,918 Views)
Mentor

The USB adapters will work on a desktop as well as a laptop.

Having said that, signal can be a problem if your desktop is in a basement, for example. Depending on where your office / desk is, you may end up needing an antenna.

Message 3 of 11 (4,904 Views)
Contributor

Perhaps some one can help me.  I tried to use the 881B on my desk top.  Plugged it in to the USB port and it rebooted the desk top.  Tried several times and had the same result.  It works well with the laptop I have.  The desk top is a Dell about 5-6 years old running XP which is up to date.  Would really like to get it to work on the lap top so can disconnect from the wired world.  Any suggestions on where to get help or what the problem is?
Thanks.
Message 4 of 11 (4,804 Views)
Scholar

Yes, as long as it has a usb port. It doesn't know the difference between a laptop and a desktop as long as the os is one that will run it.
Message 5 of 11 (4,802 Views)
Mentor

What error does Communication Manager give you? What version do you have installed? (Click Help -> about communication manager)
Message 6 of 11 (4,758 Views)
Teacher

I'm using the USB card on both my laptop and Dell desktop. When I initially tried to install the Comm. Manager on the desktop I got the "blue" freeze screen. I turns out a file associated with the Roxio CD creator was causing problems. I solved that, then the Comm software would load but just before it was finished, it would back out of the installation. I updated to the  XP SP2, uninstalled my virus software and everything loaded up fine (don't know if it was the SP2 or the virus program.) I reinstalled everything after I got the USB card working.

I would look for software conflicts. A google search on any error message you receive can get you in the right direction. 
Message 7 of 11 (4,733 Views)
Contributor

You were right it was a software conflict.  I removed several programs and the antivirus software and got the ATT USB software to load.  Reinstalled everything and everything is fine.  Thank you for the suggestion it sure helped.
Message 8 of 11 (4,648 Views)
Contributor

What kind of usb card are you using and what plan from at&t do you use? I'm tring to get rid of my land line and use the usb card for my computer.
Message 9 of 11 (4,523 Views)
Contributor

Can someone help me?  I am having trouble connecting to the 3g network  with a Sierra 875 usb on my desktop.  I have the latest communication manager 6.6.10.0 installed.  It would  detect the device and connect but only on the EDGE network.  The 3g icon would not appear.  I know there is 3G in my house since I also use the same modem on my laptop.  I could not locate any settings where it would allow me to choose 3g.  Is it something that I am doing wrong.  Thanks!
Message 10 of 11 (4,453 Views)
Contributor

I am using a USBConnect 881 from ATT, it is  a sierra wireless 881B air card, works well so far, have dropped all land lines and am now totally wireless.  If you can connect to the 3G network it is fairly fast, if not it is slow but still I prefer everything as it is.
Message 11 of 11 (1,422 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.