USB 881 and expectations of speed ??

Contributor

USB 881 and expectations of speed ??

Hello all ,

I have been blessed with ISDN for the last 4 years in a rural area , I am considering making the switch to the att usb 881 for my internet connections , i have a couple questions

I have att tilt and with that phone,  in my house when i clock the download speed it comes anywhere from 400-800 kbps consitantly , it shows an edge network icon ( not 3g) and Im assumming that i have HSPDa access also because of the speeds

is it realistic to expect the u881 to get the same speeds or am i missing something ??

Is there any other reason that this will not work ????

thanks in advance
Message 1 of 5 (3,264 Views)
Scholar

Re: USB 881 and expectations of speed ??

You don't say what your ISDN speed is now. But with that said, you should start by clicking on the Coverage Viewer at the top of this screen. Make sure that there is 3G coverage where you live. If there is, I would think you'll be happy with the speed.
Message 2 of 5 (3,247 Views)
Scholar

I don't think that 3G would show on your Tilt, so the suggestion to check the data coverage map for your area is vital.  I have 3G (HSPD indicator most times) coverage in my area and a consistent 1.5 Mbps down and anywhere from 800 Kbps to 1.5 Mbps up is the norm.  If only EDGE is available for your area based on the coverage maps you will most likely not be pleased. 

Message 3 of 5 (3,244 Views)
Contributor

I have 128 kbps  isdn , 3G is not at my house but is 30 miles  north in Clarksville tn , ( they are upgrading now ), And  30 miles  away in nashville ,they will come together when the upgrade is done ,

But again just with edge my tilt gets 400- 800 kbps consistantly

Message 4 of 5 (3,230 Views)
Scholar

bbwithdrawls wrote:
Hello all ,

I have been blessed with ISDN for the last 4 years in a rural area , I am considering making the switch to the att usb 881 for my internet connections , i have a couple questions

I have att tilt and with that phone, in my house when i clock the download speed it comes anywhere from 400-800 kbps consitantly , it shows an edge network icon ( not 3g) and Im assumming that i have HSPDa access also because of the speeds

is it realistic to expect the u881 to get the same speeds or am i missing something ??

Is there any other reason that this will not work ????

thanks in advance

The only real issue to consider in your case is that the latency on even the best 3G link will not be anywhere near as low as your ISDN link but I once had ISDN as the only wired option too, a bit more than 128kbs would have been nice since I stream audio at usually 128kbs. HSDPA is around 200ms, Edge is even higher. You will get more bandwidth but AT&T is starting to look at usage quite a bit more than they used to. You will now have enough bandwidth to hit the soft limit in hours, not days. Definitely something to consider. Too bad the FAT ISDN is so expensive with all those B channels, carrier grade network quality with VOIP is awesome.
Message 5 of 5 (3,094 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.