Trying to decide on Solstice vs. Mythic, couple questions.

Contributor

Trying to decide on Solstice vs. Mythic, couple questions.

I'm getting my parents new phones, they don't do Internet or texting, just looking to get them something easy with a large screen.  I settled on either the Samsung Solstice and Mythic, and have a couple main questions (even after doing all the research I can do).

1) Call log widget:

I played with both phones in a local AT&T store.  I noticed the Samsung Mythic had a few more widgets than the Solstice, and the majority of them I could care less about, but there was one specifically I was wondering if it was on the Solstice and I just couldn't find it.  If you view the picture below, it shows the widget I am talking about, it is a call log widget:

http://essentialvelocity.com/mythic.jpg

Is that widget on the Solstice?  One review I read said the Solstice has almost everything the Mythic has, but a lot of stuff aren't as easy to get too, so i'm not sure if i just couldn't find it on the Solstice or if it wasn't there.  A call log widget like that would really help my parents because they can never figure out how to view missed calls and such on their current old phones.  The Mythic is more expensive, but that widget alone would make it worth it.

2) Data fees:

I settled on the Solstice and Mythic because they have large screens and don't require a monthly data plan.  We already have unlimited texting on our family plan for me and my gf, so that qualifies these phones to be upgraded without adding anything else to the plan.  However, how does the data work?  If there is a weather widget on the phone, and it's updating the weather conditions in our area, that's obviously coming from some where.  Is that considered "data" that I would be charged per byte on my plan for, or is only "Internet" usage considered "Data", like if they were using the mobile web browser?

If something like the weather widget updating would be considered chargeable data since there is no "data" plan going on our plan for these phones, is there a way to disable that data connection so widgets could never use "chargeable data".

Thanks for any responses.

Message 1 of 8 (1,641 Views)
Master

Re: Trying to decide on Solstice vs. Mythic, couple questions.

That's funny; Those are the exact same phones I was trying to decide about. Smiley Wink However, I thought that the Mythic was a bit more iPhone-looking and had a nice "curvy" design to it. It's very sleek and modern.

Both phones are amazing, but I think that the Mythic just stands out more. I just received mine on the 17th, and was amazed and fascinated by its abilities. It has great picture quality and function. However, like most touch screen phones, the Mythic will take some getting used to with the touch screen. I also like that the screen is HUGE.

In price, I think that the Solstice is a little bit cheaper than the Mythic, but that's only if price is a factor for you.

Overall, I like the Mythic better. It also has great battery life. Smiley Happy

(Unfortunately, I do not know much about the data plans that you piosted. Smiley Tongue)

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 8 (1,615 Views)
Scholar

I was looking at the mythic to.  if i was to go with a phone i would go with the mythic personally.

the mobile tv is pretty cool although not really needed.

i saw it in the att store and was really impressed with it.  although they never offered a good discount on it.

now that the captivate is coming i think i am going to go with that one over the mythic.

no you don't have to get a data plan with the mythic however they will charge you if you use any web services on your phone.  the mythic does not have wifi capability so if you check the weather then you are going to be charged data usuage for it.

Message 3 of 8 (1,599 Views)
Master

mystery45 wrote:

I was looking at the mythic to.  if i was to go with a phone i would go with the mythic personally.

the mobile tv is pretty cool although not really needed.

i saw it in the att store and was really impressed with it.  although they never offered a good discount on it.

now that the captivate is coming i think i am going to go with that one over the mythic.

no you don't have to get a data plan with the mythic however they will charge you if you use any web services on your phone.  the mythic does not have wifi capability so if you check the weather then you are going to be charged data usuage for it.

Aww man, I thought we were gonna be Mythic buddies... Smiley Sad Smiley Very Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 8 (1,581 Views)
Professor

essentialjpm wrote:

I'm getting my parents new phones, they don't do Internet or texting, just looking to get them something easy with a large screen.  I settled on either the Samsung Solstice and Mythic, and have a couple main questions (even after doing all the research I can do).

1) Call log widget:

I played with both phones in a local AT&T store.  I noticed the Samsung Mythic had a few more widgets than the Solstice, and the majority of them I could care less about, but there was one specifically I was wondering if it was on the Solstice and I just couldn't find it.  If you view the picture below, it shows the widget I am talking about, it is a call log widget:

http://essentialvelocity.com/mythic.jpg

I have the Solstice and my daughter has the Mythic. In regards to the call widget, it is on the Solstice. it's just not something you can put on the widget bar. I get this icon when I have missed calls, voice messages, and text messages.

Is that widget on the Solstice?  One review I read said the Solstice has almost everything the Mythic has, but a lot of stuff aren't as easy to get too, so I'm not sure if I just couldn't find it on the Solstice or if it wasn't there.  A call log widget like that would really help my parents because they can never figure out how to view missed calls and such on their current old phones.  The Mythic is more expensive, but that widget alone would make it worth it.

2) Data fees:

I settled on the Solstice and Mythic because they have large screens and don't require a monthly data plan.  We already have unlimited texting on our family plan for me and my gf, so that qualifies these phones to be upgraded without adding anything else to the plan.  However, how does the data work?  If there is a weather widget on the phone, and it's updating the weather conditions in our area, that's obviously coming from some where.  Is that considered "data" that I would be charged per byte on my plan for, or is only "Internet" usage considered "Data", like if they were using the mobile web browser?

If something like the weather widget updating would be considered chargeable data since there is no "data" plan going on our plan for these phones, is there a way to disable that data connection so widgets could never use "chargeable data".

On the solstice, the weather update would be chargeable data. If you elect not to get the $10 a month data plan (it would be $10 since you have an unlimited text plan), you can call customer care and have them block access to any and all data. If you decided to block data access, you would not be able to send picture text messages (multimedia messages). You would be able to strictly send word text messages only.

Thanks for any responses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 5 of 8 (1,570 Views)
Scholar

sorry to disappointSmiley Very Happy i know it will forever affect your life.

Message 6 of 8 (1,557 Views)
Contributor

thank you for the responses, they helped.

Message 7 of 8 (1,517 Views)
Professor

Here's the main differences I see between the Mythic and Solstice.

The Mythic is a littler larger so the screen is slightly larger. The Mythic has a few more widgets than the Solstice.

I bought my Solstice for $49.99 and I bought my daughter's Mythic for $149.99.

So, there ya go...I get along fine with my Solstice, and my daughter LOVES her Mythic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zombie Hunter Mission Statement

Exterminate the living dead and keep our fellow citizens alive and safe. We will be connecting with our fellow businesses, the police department, funeral home, and weapon manufacturers to help map out, and exterminate the pesky living dead from our community.

~~~Seth Mendenhall
Message 8 of 8 (1,512 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.