Helpful Links

Trying to add a line and phone shouldn't be this difficult...should it? Can anyone help?

Contributor

Trying to add a line and phone shouldn't be this difficult...should it? Can anyone help?

OK, long story, hope someone can help me........

My g/f lives about 3 hours from me, in a different state....her current provider Alltel's area was purchased by ATT and her Alltel phone wont continue to work in a week or so.....

1 - I am trying to add her to my account and we would go to a family plan.  I was told i could not do this because she lives in a different state.  I tried to explain to the sales person that it was only a matter of time before we were in the same household.  He then said that i could set her up but she would get a phone number with my current area code.......No problem...great!  Let's set it up!

2 - I wanted to get a new Android phone for myself and give her my current Iphone as i have never been happy with this Iphone, but she wants to try one.  My thinking is, buy an Android phone, swap my number to the new Android phone and give her my Iphone with the new number.......He said i couldn't do that because i was not eligible for an upgrade until August......I would be buying the phone from ATT, what's the difference if i'm eligible for an upgrade ot not????

I'm guess what i am not understanding is what if my Iphone goes bad and i have to get a new phone, or i lose or break the Iphone?  What happens to my current number....ATT cant transfer it to the new phone and i lose the number???

Should this transaction be this tough???  It really doesn't appear to me that it should be this difficult.......

I didn't even bother to ask if i would be able to keep my current unlimited data \ messaging plan or what my bill would be after adding her to the plan....i thought it would have been too tough for the sales rep to figure out.....

Thanks for letting me vent and if anyone can let me know if they've run into this before and what they did to resolve it i would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Jeff

Message 1 of 5
Master

Re: Trying to add a line and phone shouldn't be this difficult...should it? Can anyone help?

Out of curiosity, why don't you wait until her service is transitioned to AT & T and then do a transfer of billing responsibility to pull her number under your account?
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted

Re: Trying to add a line and phone shouldn't be this difficult...should it? Can anyone help?

kavedweller wrote:

OK, long story, hope someone can help me........

My g/f lives about 3 hours from me, in a different state....her current provider Alltel's area was purchased by ATT and her Alltel phone wont continue to work in a week or so.....

1 - I am trying to add her to my account and we would go to a family plan.  I was told i could not do this because she lives in a different state.  I tried to explain to the sales person that it was only a matter of time before we were in the same household.  He then said that i could set her up but she would get a phone number with my current area code.......No problem...great!  Let's set it up!

2 - I wanted to get a new Android phone for myself and give her my current Iphone as i have never been happy with this Iphone, but she wants to try one.  My thinking is, buy an Android phone, swap my number to the new Android phone and give her my Iphone with the new number.......He said i couldn't do that because i was not eligible for an upgrade until August......I would be buying the phone from ATT, what's the difference if i'm eligible for an upgrade ot not????

Set up her line with the Android phone. Then it should be as easy as swapping SIMs and having her set up the iPhone through iTunes. Do you have an iPhone 3/3GS or an iPhone 4? If you have a 4, you'll both need new SIMs , as the SIM in the iPhone 4 is about 1/2 the size of the SIM card for the Android.

I'm guess what i am not understanding is what if my Iphone goes bad and i have to get a new phone, or i lose or break the Iphone?  What happens to my current number....ATT cant transfer it to the new phone and i lose the number???

Your phone number is stored on your SIM , and is for YOUR account. If you break your phone, you should be able to put your current SIM into another phone. If you were to lose your iPhone, go to AT&T and they'll link a new SIM with your account and your same phone number. The part that sucks, is that with iPhones, contact information is saved on the PHONE itself. Meaning if you lose/break your phone, you lose your contact info. There are plenty of ways to back it up though.

Should this transaction be this tough???  It really doesn't appear to me that it should be this difficult.......

I didn't even bother to ask if i would be able to keep my current unlimited data \ messaging plan or what my bill would be after adding her to the plan....i thought it would have been too tough for the sales rep to figure out.....

Thanks for letting me vent and if anyone can let me know if they've run into this before and what they did to resolve it i would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Jeff

I've answered a few of your questions, in red. Also, if you lose/break your phone, you can't get a fully discounted one until it's time for your upgrade.

Message 3 of 5
Contributor

Ann,

Thanks for the reply.  She will be here next week, we will have to go into the ATT store and see what we can do. 

She's all paranoid that she wont have a phone for a few days.  Smiley Happy 

This is why its nice to post to forums to get help from people who may have other ideas about what to do!

Thank you!

@Juicy907

Again,

Another good idea. 

I have the 3G.  As far as if it was to get broken and getting a fully discounted one......i guess what i am trying to do is just replace the iPhone with a Droid phone , the iPhone will still be used, but she will have it....

I guess i didn't think it would be that big of a deal.

Thanks for the answers i really appreciate it!

Message 4 of 5
Master

If she is being transitioned, she should have already gotten the AT&T phone she ordered in the mail. If not, she needs to call them at 18864104437 immediately. As for the actual switch, if she has the AT & T phone in hand, it was fairly painless for my own transition. (In the same boat as her, only was going from Verizon to AT & T. This occurred for a few areas as part of the Verizon / Alltel merger)

A website that she should be familiar with and for you to get the transition details. www.att.com/alltel
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support