Trouble Setting up Cingular Connection Manager on Sony VAIO notebook

Scholar

Trouble Setting up Cingular Connection Manager on Sony VAIO notebook

Hello;
I am having trouble with the Cingular Connection Manager on my Sony VAIO notebok pc.  The new at&t communcation manager software is supposedly incompatable with the built EDGE modem;I was able to connect,but was having connection problems.  Since re-installing the connection manager,have lost network profiles that were in there originally.  Need help in re-installing these network profiles if possibe.  Connection Manager is vers.3.7.  I am able to go online now (still have connection problems;I resolve that by playing the media player i.e. streaming music while online wirelessly).  Also,was able to go online at at&t wi-fi hotspot just using my Pro-Wireless;just needed the coupon codes and I am good to go.

Just need help with this major issue.  Thank you everyone.
Message 1 of 8 (5,940 Views)
Master

Re: Trouble Setting up Cingular Connection Manager on Sony VAIO notebook

Make sure that your device is supported by this software.  Otherwise contact Sony for the correct version of software for your PC.
Message 2 of 8 (5,935 Views)
Former Moderator

frothe3 wrote:
Hello;
I am having trouble with the Cingular Connection Manager on my Sony VAIO notebok pc.  The new at&t communcation manager software is supposedly incompatable with the built EDGE modem;I was able to connect,but was having connection problems.  Since re-installing the connection manager,have lost network profiles that were in there originally.  Need help in re-installing these network profiles if possibe.  Connection Manager is vers.3.7.  I am able to go online now (still have connection problems;I resolve that by playing the media player i.e. streaming music while online wirelessly).  Also,was able to go online at at&t wi-fi hotspot just using my Pro-Wireless;just needed the coupon codes and I am good to go.

Just need help with this major issue.  Thank you everyone.

The integrated modem on the vaio requires a custom build of Cingular Communication Manager.  It is only distributed by sony but there is an upgrade to version 6.0 that is available.  The latest versions of AT&T Communication Manager will not work with the integrated modem.  There is also a firmware upgrade for the modem that resolves the frequent disconnect issue that the internal Sony Ericcson modem had.
Message 3 of 8 (5,927 Views)
Scholar

Lucky;
Is the this version at at&t?  I saw that there are several communication managers at the website.  Please reply.

Message 4 of 8 (5,910 Views)
Scholar

Oh,btw I have downloaded and installed the firmware update;it does not resolve the connection issue.  It seems that because of accelerated EDGE,it frequently times out unless I use the media player and play streaming music.  IE is the worse;sometimes cannot get on at all!!  The page says that I am not connected even though the connection manager says I am.  When this happens,I use Mozilla Firefox;ha better connection and less dropoff and timeouts.
Message 5 of 8 (5,909 Views)
Former Moderator

frothe3 wrote:
Lucky;
Is the this version at at&t?  I saw that there are several communication managers at the website.  Please reply.

Froth3,

Can you restate your first sentence?  I don't understand.  Also, what model number are you using?  Can you post a link to the Vaio support site that has the software?

Thanks
Message 6 of 8 (5,894 Views)
Former Moderator

frothe3 wrote:
Oh,btw I have downloaded and installed the firmware update;it does not resolve the connection issue.  It seems that because of accelerated EDGE,it frequently times out unless I use the media player and play streaming music.  IE is the worse;sometimes cannot get on at all!!  The page says that I am not connected even though the connection manager says I am.  When this happens,I use Mozilla Firefox;ha better connection and less dropoff and timeouts.

Are you talking about the accelerated connection profile?  What's your signal strength (in -dbm)? 
Message 7 of 8 (5,893 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Luckey;
I went to the Sony Vaio store in White Plains where they couldn't really help me with the connection issue.  To end this debate,I finally did download the at&t communication manager 6.7 for Windows XP.  Now,I looked under the evice manager and found that my EGPRS modem (Sony Ericsson GC75)was not there;went to the Sony Support website (esupport.sony.com,I think;I just use the pre-installed AOL Explorer and click on the tab)to download the original driver;also have Sony Ericsson's Wireless Manager;I believe we are now running on the Sony Ericsson stuff;went through the found new hardware,etc.  I'm up and running with the at&t communication manager.  Now I have to diagnose another problem;cannot connect to my friend's FIOS wireless modem.  As for dbm,right now it is 67;at home usually 69-75 dbm;mind you,I'm on the Cell One tower in Freehold,NY (30 miles south of Albany and 17 miles west of Catskill and the Thruway I-87).

I would like to thank everyone for their input on this matter.  It was very appreciated;I never coulud have resolved this problem without everyone's input;btw,my computer is a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ340 which I do like;running on XP SP2.

Thank you once again.
Message 8 of 8 (5,864 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.